Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When can i do something?!

babymomma
November 30th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Hi there guys! Havent been around in a while, trying to keep keely from going insane from being cooped up in the house since last friday! Its been 9 days since keely's spay surgery and she is doing GREAT!

When we went to pick up keely from her spay, the vet didnt say much about the home care, she just gave us 2 pages if instructions for us to follow, then she started talking about random crap. I didnt look at the instructions until i got home. And she gave us NUETER instructions! :frustrated: Just a few questions, On these sheets, it says

1. restrain him from running/jumping for ten(10) days.
2. No swimming or bathing for ten (10) days.
3.No going outside/lead walking for ten(10) days.

Even though these are neuter instructions,do the number of inactive days still apply to dogs that have been spayed?

Keely REALLY needs a bath. She stinks, she is greasy, and she she uncomfortable. Ive been doing my best to keep her clean with a damp facecolth but that just isnt cutting it anymore. So can i give her a bath tomorrow? do you think its been long enough?

Keely really needs a walk. She is gone stircrazy and is starting to turn around in circles to enterain herself. The kong and chew toys just aint cuttin' it anymore!:shrug: Of coarse i'll have to introduce walking and excersizing back to her slowly so she doesnt over do it at first.

What do i do?!

BTW- Have called vets Multiple times. Gets put on hold and then forgoten about i guess, cuase after a while we get cut off!:shrug:

Diamondsmum
November 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Ohhhhhh BM Hmmmmm I am glad she is doing well.

I am sure Someone will offer input about this

Frenchy
November 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
It's been 9 days ? Go ahead ! It's ok for walks and any other exercises.

For the bath , does she still has stitches ? I would wait until the stitches are taken out.

diandpat
November 30th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I agree with Frenchy...would definitely go for leash walks. I'd be stir crazy too after nine days in the house :crazy:

Why don't you try leaving a message for the Dr. who did the surgery to call you back? Most of them have time set aside in the day to call/follow up with patients and then you won't be stuck on hold indefinitely. You did pay for this operation...you are entitled to have your questions answered.

Also, you should post some pictures of Keely so we can be sure she has not changed too much since the surgery.;)

babymomma
November 30th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks Dm, Frenchy and Diandpat!

Frenchy- thanks alot, She had disslvable stiches, so maybe a bath isnt such a great idea?..lol.. How long does it take for them to dissolve anyways?

Diandpat- Thank you as well. My mom has left messages, but honestly, I dont think the lady at the desk has given them to our vet. The lady at the front desk is not a very nice lady at all, shes just filling in for the original assistant. Serously she is a flat out B-I Badword, and does not take that job seriously. If my vet were given the messages, she would have called us looooong ago. She is very busy so i can understand why she cannot come to the phone immediantly.

Thanks again ! :thumbs up

Oh, Do you think its too soon to bring keelys friend Kacee (A GSD x lab) Up in the yard for some play time?(They like to chase each other) Or would that be a bad idea? Kacee is REAL gentle with her though, if keely stoops abruptly she hops over keely so she doesnt step on her:lovestruck:.

babymomma
November 30th, 2008, 04:11 PM
BTW- I have pictures, taken a day after her spay of her with dreaded cone and of her incision, but i used a new camera, and i cannot figure out for the life of me how to upload the pictures to my computer! :o

hazelrunpack
November 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It's probably a little early to allow her to rough-house with her buddy. Give her another 5 days--after such a long absence they might really play energetically. :D

Can you see any stitches? If not, and if the incision looks well-healed, a bath would probably be okay.

Sounds like she's doing great! :thumbs up

babymomma
November 30th, 2008, 07:07 PM
It's probably a little early to allow her to rough-house with her buddy. Give her another 5 days--after such a long absence they might really play energetically. :D

Can you see any stitches? If not, and if the incision looks well-healed, a bath would probably be okay.

Sounds like she's doing great! :thumbs up

thanks Hazel! :thumbs up k, so no playing with kacee... she had three layers of stitching, up in underherskin. the only stitching i could ever see was were the vet knotted it at the end and it has twoo little strands of stiching sticking out which is still there. Her incsion looks almost completely healed (theres a little bit of scabbing right on the incision line) So i shouldnt bathe her? er, that sucks big time, cause its REAALLY getting unbearable:frustrated:

hazelrunpack
November 30th, 2008, 07:22 PM
How bad is the scabbing? Likely it's just residual irritation from her licking at it...doesn't take much to get it irritated. If it's not too bad, you could probably go ahead and bathe her. If some of the scabs look deeper, then wait a couple of days and do it then.

:fingerscr she won't be toooooo groaty by then. :D Just try not to get her belly too wet and make sure to pat her incision gently dry when you're done.

aslan
November 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
babymomma, if she is really in need of a bath, sprinkle some baking soda on her, rub it in and brush it thoroughly out, wont bother the stitches but will take the oil and everything out of her coat and make her clean and smell better.:thumbs up

p13m4n
December 1st, 2008, 09:58 AM
You DO realize that the term neuter doesn't apply to a specific gender? It means a procedure that renders an animal sterile.

Pointless thread, unless the set of instructions were for a castrated pet.

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 09:59 AM
You DO realize that the term neuter doesn't apply to a specific gender? It means a procedure that renders an animal sterile.

and that answers her question about bathing etc, how?

Winston
December 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM
Babymomma! go ahead and enjoy some walks with her! She should be fine...I would keep doing what your doing and when there is no sign of scabbing and such then give her a nice bath. The baking soda as Aslan mentioned should help with the odour! Youll just have to go get her some doggy perfume! :laughing:

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
well suzie sunshine, still didnt answer her question about when she can walk, bath etc. she said herself the instructions are wrong and thats why she is asking. There is absolutely no need for you to be so rude.

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM
might i ask why you're being so negative and rude, the OP is a 15yr old who is asking advice on her very first puppy. She doesn't know all the answers so she is asking for help.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I clicked Submit when I meant Preview. I was editing. Care to read the reply again?

Oh, and uh... The instructions are NOT wrong.

I read it and I still do not understand why this was posted in such a manner? Is there something I am missing here?

bendyfoot
December 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
The OP was concerned because the instructions were for a neuter post-op, which most would associate with a male dog. The OP's dog is female, and probably would have liked to see post-op instructions for a spay. The confusion is completely warranted.

I think p13m4n is trying to say that "neuter" is a term that can be used for either gender and therefore the post-op instructions the OP got are valid for Keely, but he/she sure as heck is being a bit of a :censored: about it. :frustrated:

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
i understood what p13m4n was saying just didn't understand the hostility behind it.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
You seem to take it that I'm trying to be rude to the OP. No, I just mentioned that neuter doesn't mean castration. I just got peeved at your failure at comprehension is all. As you might be able to see, I was replying to YOU, not to the OP.

p13M4n - I am a little bewildered at why this is such an issue for you? I am a little taken back as to your hostility. Can we move on from this now and help the OP with her questions and concerns?

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM

this is your first post, how is this directed at me in anyway, i hadn't meantioned castration,spay, neuter anything, all i said was if she was concerned use baking soda.:shrug:

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
I seriously think that dialogue can be done in a different manner. This is an innocent thread asking a legitimate question. I am really concerned as to why this is being pushed.

If you want us to say ok you are right - then so be it. You are right...now may we please move on...this is not going in the appropriate direction my friend.

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
lol, ok don't know what your issue with me is but that was my response to telling the op it's a pointless thread, rude in my opinion. but you've had your say, hope all is well in your world today.

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 10:44 AM
enjoy the rest of your day.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hah, I agree. But none of this would've happened if aslan took a minute or two to figure out how 'that answers her question about bathing etc.'

Ok get off it already. If you have something to assist this OP then please do so. It is not a contest and I am bewildered as to why you are persuing Aslan. Enough already!

Please govern yourself accordingly.

BenMax
December 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
BabyMomma - did you get your answers? Sorry this went a little sideways!

Longblades
December 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
BabyMomma, technically neuter applies to either sex so you can safely assume the instructions apply to your girl. The term neuter is widely thought to apply to just the boys and it is too bad your Vet did not inform you that it means both spay and castrate. It is your Vet's job to explain the home care instructions to you and make sure you understand them, for the well-being of your pet. Spaying is the correct term for neutering a girl and castration is correct for the boys. For some reason we just don't seem to say castration. There are other words as well; gonadectomy applies to both ovaries and testes, then you can have oophorectomy and more.....

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
You DO realize that the term neuter doesn't apply to a specific gender? In this case it does, i would appreciate it if you would stay out of this thread if you have nothing nice to say, dont say ANYTHING. YOu totally jumped to conclusions. In the instuctions, It explais how they went in and surgecally sterilized him and explains that his sperm can no longer travel to a female, blah blah blah. These insturctions are meant for males that have been "castrated". Not for a female that has had her "tubes tied" as mom would call it.
It means a procedure that renders an animal sterile.

To you, It is a pointless thread, because you dont understand how worried i am about my little girl. TO me its a life saver, i was so stressed out about it and now i am not. So please, explain to me how this thread is pointless? My question has been answered. Im very sorry you have to live and exist among us humans with such tiny little brains, i'm truely sorry we can not be as perfect as you THINK you are. Sarcasm ends......here.

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 07:39 PM
babymomma, if she is really in need of a bath, sprinkle some baking soda on her, rub it in and brush it thoroughly out, wont bother the stitches but will take the oil and everything out of her coat and make her clean and smell better.:thumbs upThanks Alot aslan! :thumbs up Your so knowledgeable about these things, and sooo humble too!

Babymomma! go ahead and enjoy some walks with her! She should be fine...I would keep doing what your doing and when there is no sign of scabbing and such then give her a nice bath. The baking soda as Aslan mentioned should help with the odour! Youll just have to go get her some doggy perfume! :laughing:
Thanks winsten! The scabbing isnt deep, its like when you get scraped and you get a very thin layer of scabbing over it, so i think it should be gone soon:fingerscr

You seem to take it that I'm trying to be rude to the OP. No, I just mentioned that neuter doesn't mean castration. I just got peeved at your failure at comprehension is all. As you might be able to see, I was replying to YOU, not to the OP.

First of all, you wetre VERY rude to all of us. NObody said they didnt comprehend that nueter means the same thing. I didnt kn ow that at first, now i do, still needed my question answered even after you decided to grace us with your presence and tell us that you nueter both genders. BUT, The instructions that i have received are in fact, talking about the MALE genitalia AND the Castration operation! Are ya able to coprehend that?:confused:

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 07:40 PM
babymomma i would like to extend my sincerest apology for your thread being so sidetracked this afternoon, we did our best.:sad:

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
babymomma i would like to extend my sincerest apology for your thread being so sidetracked this afternoon, we did our best.:sad:

Oh its fine Aslan, thanks for defending me and my "stupidity".. lol.. I hate when people do this! I try not to let it get to me anymore, but it was hard this time. Thanks:thumbs up

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
BabyMomma - did you get your answers? Sorry this went a little sideways!

Thanks BenMax, Yes i have my question answered! Thanks, and no worries about it becoming sidetracked. Thank you as well for defending myself and aslan!

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
lol, from what i've just read you didn't really need our help, and we were dealing with this person in 3 different threads.

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 07:48 PM
BabyMomma, technically neuter applies to either sex so you can safely assume the instructions apply to your girl. The term neuter is widely thought to apply to just the boys and it is too bad your Vet did not inform you that it means both spay and castrate. It is your Vet's job to explain the home care instructions to you and make sure you understand them, for the well-being of your pet. Spaying is the correct term for neutering a girl and castration is correct for the boys. For some reason we just don't seem to say castration. There are other words as well; gonadectomy applies to both ovaries and testes, then you can have oophorectomy and more.....

Thanks for the info Longblades, its appreciated and thank you for not jumping down my throat because i wasnt educated on it:o Again, Thank you:thumbs up

Frenchy
December 1st, 2008, 07:50 PM
Babymomma , sorry your thread got derailed by ... ummm ... what's the word I'm looking for .... I guess I don't need a word :

:loser:

ok so back on topic , how is Keely feeling today , 10 days after the spay ... :headslap: crap , sorry , I meant neutering :rolleyes:

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 07:52 PM
lol, from what i've just read you didn't really need our help, and we were dealing with this person in 3 different threads.

Lol, thanks.. why do people do it though? I hate when people talk down to others like they know everything and everybody else knows nothing! . :frustrated:

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Babymomma , sorry your thread got derailed by ... ummm ... what's the word I'm looking for .... I guess I don't need a word :

:loser:

ok so back on topic , how is Keely feeling today , 10 days after the spay ... :headslap: crap , sorry , I meant neutering :rolleyes:

Thanks Frenchy, Keelys feeling great! My moms old friend came along for an unexpected visit this evening, and she brought her little dog (A bishon x Shih tzu) So she got to play with him for an hour (In the house, cause i was afraid that she would overdo it outside running around and hurt herself:o) I can tell she really really misses kacee though, i mentioned her name to day and keelys ears perked up and she looked at me with such a happy look on her face, then when kacee didnt come running in the door she got right droopy:sad: Its sad but heart warming at the same time:p

Frenchy
December 1st, 2008, 07:58 PM
Will kacee get to visit more often ? :goodvibes: and will we get pictures ? :D

babymomma
December 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Will kacee get to visit more often ? :goodvibes: and will we get pictures ? :D

Lol, Kacee is keelys regular play buddy , shes a german sheoherd x lab, but im going to wait a while to let them play again, cause' im afraid that kacee may accidentaly hurt keely. Wow, Kacee comes to my house EVERDAY, And i dont have any sensible pictures of her yet:frustrated:

The bshon x shih tzus name is clifford. Hes a cutey patootie! :D I dont think hell be back any time soon, hes from alberta:sad:

Frenchy
December 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
The bshon x shih tzus name is clifford. Hes a cutey patootie! :D I dont think hell be back any time soon, hes from alberta:sad:

Oh sorry , I meant Clifford. That's too bad , I'm sure Keely loves to play with a dog her own size :cloud9:

marko
December 2nd, 2008, 09:50 AM
I have deleted some posts here.

p13m4n - You are new here and although we welcome newbies, we expect them to try to blend in and not provoke or be rude.

Please tone it down immediately and DO NOT reply to this comment in this thread. In fact guide yourself accordingly in all future threads. If you have anything negative you want to say - PM me.

Thanks all - please regular members let's move on to the question at hand and PLEASE in the future PM me before things get out of control. Smoke is easier to contain than fire.

Thx again

Marko

Love4himies
December 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
Glad to hear Keely is doing well and had a play day with Clifford. :thumbs up Have you asked your vet when Keely will be able to play with Kacee again?

JennieV
December 2nd, 2008, 11:57 AM
BM, I am sooo happy to hear Keely is okay! She sounds like she needs activity, so I think you can slowly bring back the walks and hopefully soon give her a bath...You got some good advice about baking soda...The pet perfumes make me sneeze like heck, so I don,t bother, but they may do the trick for you, for now anyways...

Keep us posted!

babymomma
December 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Glad to hear Keely is doing well and had a play day with Clifford. :thumbs up Have you asked your vet when Keely will be able to play with Kacee again?

Thanks L4H.. No, i havent asked, because i can still not get hold of her:shrug: I honestly think i would have spoken to her long ago if the original assistant was there:frustrated: I think i'll wait until i feel comfortable with it before i bring kacee back into the picture, just go with my instincts:shrug: I would Still like to talk to her though! .. I do feel super bad that i havent been walking kacee lately:sad: Poor thing doesnt get ANY attention from her owners anymore:frustrated: