Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kailey the Destroyer

Chaser
November 29th, 2008, 09:42 PM
We've been making good progress with Kailey lately, testing her more out of her crate for longer periods of time. When she hit six hours with no trouble we decided to let her stay out for the work day....which was fine for the first four days or so. But I guess by the end of the week she was getting a little pissed that we kept leaving for so long. :sad:

Yesterday I came home to a huge mess!. She stole two big bags of dog treats off the counter (something Chase never even attempted so we thought nothing of leaving them there) and she ate ALL of them! Shredded the packaging. Then she stole three cups of pudding and ate that. Then she stole hubby's lunch bag, ate a big hole out of it, and then chewed up the gum packages inside (which thankfully were empty)!!! Then she pooped and peed on the floor.

She tends to have a VERY sensitive tummy so I was just waiting for the vomiting to begin....but it didn't. She decided to get diarrhea instead! Two bags of Now! Grain Free Turkey and Duck treats worth. :yuck:

Poor Chase just sat down beside the mess when I got home and then very purposefully looked away from it....and then straight at his sister, who was crawling along the floor on her belly!!! :laughing: No doubt in my mind who caused all that carnage!

So we will be taking a step back with her freedom now....she can't do a full work week out of her crate I don't think, but is okay for a day or so at a time as long as she's super well-exercised. That was part of it too I think....we got tired and lazy and she had energy to burn by Friday. But hubby was doing a two-week work orientation and is now starting working random shifts so the dogs will not normally be alone for that many days in a row again anyway.

I'm just so relieved she didn't get anything dangerous! We'll be re-puppy-proofing now and I got lockable metal canisters for their treats!!! Lesson learned :o

aslan
November 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM
aaaaw chase_mom, atleast she knew she did something wrong that's a good sign. quincy did that too on occassion. it wont take long to rectify the situation.

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
:eek: Sounds like someone had a fun day... :o Wasn't mommy, though! :grouphug:

But I gotta tell ya...after the :eek: I was definitely :laughing:... :sorry:

Is her tummy feeling better tonight? :goodvibes:

aslan
November 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM
:eek: Sounds like someone had a fun day... :o Wasn't mommy, though! :grouphug:

But I gotta tell ya...after the :eek: I was definitely :laughing:... :sorry:

Is her tummy feeling better tonight? :goodvibes:

oh good i didn't want to be the only one who giggled.

Chaser
November 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
It was funny in a way I admit....especially Chase's reaction to it!

Her tummy seems perfectly fine....I'm just shocked because usually if she has something too rich (like when in-laws sneak her steak fat!) she pukes for at least a day. I'm glad she didn't, because she gets so sad when she's sick. She was really taking it easy last night though....I'm guessing she felt pretty nauseous!

She's eating fine and everything...and with all the pooping at least I know she didn't get anything that could cause a blockage!

We'll just keep working on it....I have to keep in mind all the amazing progress she has made otherwise. She played with at least six new dogs on our hike today and loved every single one! :lovestruck:

Frenchy
November 29th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Thank dog she's ok !

Nelly was crated for almost 2 years ..... once in a while , I wouldn't crate her , she was good for 1-2 weeks then needed to be crated again. She's not anymore , been a few weeks , still destroys from time to time :shrug:

and with her being a great dane , there's never any food on the counter :laughing:

Chaser
November 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Nelly was crated for almost 2 years ..... once in a while , I wouldn't crate her , she was good for 1-2 weeks then needed to be crated again. She's not anymore , been a few weeks , still destroys from time to time :shrug:

I knew you'd be able to sympathize Frenchy! Nelly popped into my head as soon as I saw the shredded packages everywhere!

Chaser
November 29th, 2008, 10:02 PM
and with her being a great dane , there's never any food on the counter :laughing:

I bet! I really should have thought better of leaving stuff out...but I thought sealed packages would be safe :shrug: Shoulda known better.....Kailey steals silverware out of the sink if she likes what was eaten off it. And that's when we're home! She's a sneaky one I tell you.....

Frenchy
November 29th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I knew you'd be able to sympathize Frenchy!
Doesn't mean I didn't laugh reading your post :laughing:

:sorry:
but I thought sealed packages would be safe :shrug:

:laugh: believe me , nothing is safe :evil:

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Kailey steals silverware out of the sink if she likes what was eaten off it. And that's when we're home! She's a sneaky one I tell you.....

Sneaky and talented! :eek: That's a combination with lots of potential! :laughing:

Diamondsmum
November 29th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Ohhhh chase_mom

I feel for ya. esp a long work week to come home to a mess.. (see i wont giggle) :P

I am glad tho she didnt eat anything horrible and Chase knew who did it I wonder if she shared the pudding tho?:o

rainbow
November 29th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I got to admit I giggled too. :D

But you got off easy. :p When we let our Chase have a bit more freedom we came home to the couch stuffing everywhere. :frustrated:

Dracko
November 30th, 2008, 02:17 AM
Yesterday I came home to a huge mess!. She stole two big bags of dog treats off the counter (something Chase never even attempted so we thought nothing of leaving them there) and she ate ALL of them! Shredded the packaging. Then she stole three cups of pudding and ate that. Then she stole hubby's lunch bag, ate a big hole out of it, and then chewed up the gum packages inside (which thankfully were empty)!!! Then she pooped and peed on the floor.

:eek: That was a lot! Have to admit reading it made me :laughing::o

The worst Dracko did was when he was a puppy I'd given him a little bit of some roast I'd cooked. I left it in the roaster on the stovetop and went in to my home office. My nephew said to me, "Did you give Dracko some roast?" I said yes and finished up what I was doing.

I came out in to the livingroom and he had the WHOLE ROAST under the livingroom table and was munching away!!!! My nephew should have been more specific and said, "Did you give him THE roast."

It was a lost cause to salvage it for us, of course, but I couldn't let him eat it all and get sick or think he was allowed to do that. I took it away, sealed it up in a ziplock bag and gave it to him over the next few days so he wouldn't know he got to eat it in the end.

Oh I forgot about another time. This was only a few months ago. I had taken out some raw patties for him (Urban Carnivore) and cuz they take so long to thaw in the fridge thought I'd leave them out for a few hours first. My nephew called and asked if I could pick him up from work as he was getting off earlier than planned. I completely forgot about the meat on the counter in the container. :o Came home to an empty bag torn apart on the floor and one full dog. It was frozen solid, too. It had to have been pretty tough for him to eat.

Other than that he's very good so I can't really complain.

Thanks for sharing Kailey's antics. :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 30th, 2008, 06:53 AM
You have done an amazing job with Kailey so far! I'm sorry there was a little back sliding. Although it sounds more like mischief than anything serious. :evil: little dickens. :D:cloud9:

Toonces
November 30th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Must be something in the air we are going through the same thing with Petey, he has been out of his crate since June and then 2 weeks ago it started with a comforter, then a chair and then my bedding so back in the crate he went. Hubby says the kittens are driving him to chew!:laughing: Hmmm do you think the 2 of them will plan some destruction together when you guys come down:laughing:

Winston
November 30th, 2008, 08:32 AM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

What no pictures to prove that that litttle Angel did anything?? I dont believe you...

Cindy

diandpat
November 30th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Is it possible the YOU forgot to feed her and she was just a little hungry???? :D

Sorry, it must be a difficult way to end the week but your description is awfully funny, right down to Chase "tattling" on his sister :laughing::laughing:

Chaser
November 30th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hmmm do you think the 2 of them will plan some destruction together when you guys come down:laughing:

I wouldn't put it past them....Kailey is a BRAT! But as you will soon see, she's just about the sweetest most lovable brat that ever lived :D :lovestruck:

And trust me, I am VERY grateful she doesn't favour furniture and bedding!!! It was more like a crazed junk food frenzy...lol

Chaser
November 30th, 2008, 09:52 AM
I came out in to the livingroom and he had the WHOLE ROAST under the livingroom table and was munching away!!!! My nephew should have been more specific and said, "Did you give him THE roast."

Now THAT is funny! I can just picture Dracko mowing down on a whole roast!!!

When she was a puppy the in-laws dog Heidi stole FOUR raw T-bone steaks off the counter!!! :eek: She's also eaten a few plates full of cookies too! :laughing:

Chaser
November 30th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Does anyone think maybe she was getting revenge for the reindeer antlers???? :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 30th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Yep, this reeks of revenge.:laughing:

Seriously though, thank goodness she didn't get into anything dangerous. What scared me the most was the pudding and gum. Pudding because for me, I only buy chocolate pudding, and I can't imagine gum would be good for her.

At least you know your limits with her right now because of this so that's a good thing.

Chaser
November 30th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Seriously though, thank goodness she didn't get into anything dangerous. What scared me the most was the pudding and gum. Pudding because for me, I only buy chocolate pudding, and I can't imagine gum would be good for her.

The pudding was vanilla - we had already eaten the good chocolate ones! But the gum packages really scared me until I called hubby and he told me there was only one piece left at the most. I thought the packages were full until then!

ancientgirl
November 30th, 2008, 11:45 AM
They constantly keep us on our toes don't they?:rolleyes: I'm forever making sure I don't leave anything they can get to that is dangerous for them.

mollywog
December 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
ohh the neverending adventures of Kailey... what a week you've had!
We went through the same thing with Molly, she did great for the first few days out of her crate, but then once she got comfortable with her newfound freedom, it spelled disaster for us and her! So now she's back to the crate... As I'm sure you can relate, I just feel so bad leaving her in there all day! :yell:
Does Chase stay in a crate while alone?

Chaser
December 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
Does Chase stay in a crate while alone?

Nope, he's been uncrated all day every day since he was five months old :D He ate a leash, a Kleenex, box, and a novel as a puppy and that was it. Once that was out of his system he's been an :angel: I can even leave food on the coffee table, go to switch laundry, and he won't touch it!

At least ONE of our dogs is good :rolleyes:

I feel awful about going back to the crate with Kailey...but she is actively seeking out trouble to such an extent right now it's downright dangerous to leave her out. :frustrated:

Etown_Chick
December 1st, 2008, 11:16 PM
I shouldn't laugh either but it sounds like Scruffy on a bad day. At least she didn't eat your kitchen chairs. Yet.

Dracko
December 1st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Your thread made me be especially cautious today. I bought my nephews an Advent Calendar and told them they can't leave them sitting anywhere Dracko can get them. I could just see the boys leaving them on low table somewhere and Dracko sniffing out the chocolate.

Tundra_Queen
December 4th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Umm she takes silverware out of the sink?! Ummm errr how big is your dog? :laughing:

And about the treats being in a locked canister? ERR put them in a high cupboard too, like above the fridge.....:laughing:

Chaser
December 4th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Umm she takes silverware out of the sink?! Ummm errr how big is your dog? :laughing:

She's 63 lbs...fairly tall though. She hooks her front legs over the edge of the sink for leverage and then kind of hoists herself up and over so she can grab from the sink. Shepherds are too smart for their own good sometimes....:laughing:

And about the treats being in a locked canister? ERR put them in a high cupboard too, like above the fridge.....:laughing:

Already done! :D