Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Been too long...

OC_Spirit
November 29th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hope you guys still remember me! LOL A lot has happened/changed since I've last posted on here. Don't worry, all for the good! The boys are in high gear getting ready for this year's racing season which is going to kick some major butt!!!! I haven't pulled the sled out yet because I just got brand new runners put on over the summer! yay!

Some of you may remember the work in progress which was the dogbox I got that needed a bit of love. That is finally fully complete! My dad and I even got all the boxes packed with straw today so it is completely ready to haul dogs! And what do I use to tow it? My "new" '04 Dodge Ram!!!!!! That's not all that's "new" I have a new recruit for this year's racing team and he'll be living with us for the winter! Sorry no pics of the new guy because I have to pick which one I want between 3 still. I'm leaning heavily towards one in particular but that will depend on how he gets along with my 2 boys. This winter we will also be having a 5 month old pup come along to races so she can get used to all the action so hopefully next year she can race on my team!

I think I covered all that's new with us...Anybody in South/Central Ontario watch for us at your local dogsled races! We plan on attending 5 races this winter so we'll be busy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/oc_spirit_pics/Dog_Sledding/DSC04047.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/oc_spirit_pics/Dog_Sledding/DSC04044.jpg

The boys as you can see are really training hard this year...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/oc_spirit_pics/Dog_Sledding/DSC04055.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/oc_spirit_pics/Dog_Sledding/DSC04053-1.jpg

JennieV
November 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Awwww! WELCOME BACK!! what cuties! Nice job on the attachment and best of luck in the races! :thumbs up

Mat&Murph
November 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Awww poor working kids!!:D We will keep a eye out for you!!! Good luck in the races!!!

luckypenny
November 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Nice wheels, both of them :thumbs up.

Hey! :lightbulb: That dogbox is just right for HRP :D.

It's so nice to see OC and Ronan again :cloud9:.

aslan
November 29th, 2008, 08:41 PM
hey oc post us a list of where you'll be at sometime we would love to meet you and oc and ronan.:cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
November 30th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Hey OC! Welcome back :grouphug:

Nice ride you got there :thumbs up

Ronan & OC are tuckered out from supervising - tough work ya know? :laughing: They look great :cloud9: :lovestruck:.

Can't wait to "meet" the new additions :lovestruck::lovestruck:

angeldogs
November 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM
The dog box is looking good and so are the boys.a little tired but good.nice to see them lounging around.

Gail P
November 30th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hi, welcome back! I've been wondering where you were. Looks like you're all set now for getting to the races. Which 5 are you entering? I've already sent in my entry for Haliburton (the date's changed to mid-Feb., in case you didn't know) and I've printed one off for Marmora but haven't mailed it yet. I'll also be heading to Kearney, Cannington and Apsley. Apparently there are no sprint classes this year at Bancroft, which would have conflicted with the Haliburton date anyhow.

Have you been getting in any dryland training? I've had my guys out on the rig since August when we started getting cooler mornings, starting with 2 miles and worked up to doing 4 miles, then 5 and then 6 just before the snow came. There wasn't enough snow for the sled but too much for the rig so they didn't do anything except free running around the farm the last couple of weeks and one good run with the skidoo when I started grooming my trail. This morning though I got out on the sled and had a friend come over to do some training with me. Can you tell I'm excited! Hope your training goes well and I'm sure we'll see each other at the races. I'll be entering the 4-dog classes this year and my daughter will be doing the youth/novice 2-dog classes where they're offered (and available for her age) and the kid & mutt classes at the rest.

For anyone who's interested in the dates of the sprint races, they are:
Jan 3-4 MWCTC Markstay-Warren, ON
17-25 IFSS World Championship Daaquam, QC
31-Feb 1 Kortright Centre Challenge Vaughn, ON
31-Feb 1 Marmora Sno-Fest Marmora, ON

Feb 7-8 Kearney Sleddog Race & Winterfest Kearney, ON
14-15 Haliburton Highlands Dogsled Derby Haliburton, ON
14-15 Odyssée Appalachienne Saint-Pamphile, QC
21-22 Cannington Sleddog Race Cannington, ON
28 Apsley Winterfest Apsley, ON
28-Mar 1 Internationale Lanaudiere de L'Epiphanie L'Epiphanie, QC

More info on other types of races (mid-distance, distance, etc.) available at: http://www.sleddogcentral.com/schedules/race_schedules.htm

rainbow
November 30th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hey! :lightbulb: That dogbox is just right for HRP :D.

LOL....yep, it is. :thumbs up And, if she gets any additions to the pack she could tow a pup-trailer behind. :D

Welcome back OC_Spirit..... good luck at the races and looking forward to lots of new pics of your gorgeous dogs. :goodvibes:

babymomma
November 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Wow, That dog box thing looks great, as do the truck and the pooches!

Lol, Do you realize the last post you posted (Excluding this thread) Was on July 17th?! That was 4 and a half months ago! haha.. youve been gone for sometime then eh?!

OC_Spirit
November 30th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Its good to see everyone again!!!!

Mat and Murph, will you be coming out to any races? :D

Aslan, I think Gail just covered that for me LOL

Angeldogs, as hard as these boys work, they are experts at chillaxing! lol

Gail, nice to hear that you will be out at races again!!!! I will be doing 4-dog sprints as well but there is a chance that I might be running only 3 dogs. It'll depend on whether Bailey decides to run 1 or 2 dogs in skijoring. We're planning on getting to;
Kortright
Kearney
Haliburton
Cannington
Apsley
Up until then though we'll be heading to Bailey's cottage up around Wiarton for better training. Good luck to you and your daughter!!! I remember last year she really had the juniour/youth class OWNED haha

Babymomma, ya it's amazing how time flies!!!

Diamondsmum
November 30th, 2008, 11:42 PM
ohhh cool!! cannington isnt that far HMMMMMM That would be soo cool to watch!

Good luck oc_ :)

Spatx
November 30th, 2008, 11:58 PM
The Kortright Centre is really close to where I live - I may have to check it out and see if I can go and take some photographs. I'm trying to get practice with all sorts of different opportunities :D

angeldogs
December 1st, 2008, 05:50 AM
Good luck at the races.take lots of pics.

Melinda
December 1st, 2008, 06:43 AM
wow, the dogbox looks great! you did a wonderful job on it, great to see you again!

erykah1310
December 1st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Its good to see everyone again!!!!

Mat and Murph, will you be coming out to any races? :D

Aslan, I think Gail just covered that for me LOL

Angeldogs, as hard as these boys work, they are experts at chillaxing! lol

Gail, nice to hear that you will be out at races again!!!! I will be doing 4-dog sprints as well but there is a chance that I might be running only 3 dogs. It'll depend on whether Bailey decides to run 1 or 2 dogs in skijoring. We're planning on getting to;
Kortright
Kearney
Haliburton
Cannington
Apsley

Umm, excuse me... what about Markstay-Warren on the 3rd and 4th???? the snow here is ridiculous! There won't be a repeat of last year this time!

Great looking truck! I suppose its alright that its not red lol.:laughing:
Hope to see more pics sooner.

Gail P
December 1st, 2008, 12:02 PM
Kortright
Kearney
Haliburton
Cannington
Apsley
Up until then though we'll be heading to Bailey's cottage up around Wiarton for better training. Good luck to you and your daughter!!! I remember last year she really had the juniour/youth class OWNED haha

So we'll be competing against each other :thumbs up Good luck to you too! Even if you only run 3 dogs you should be fine. Up until Amber got Nikki she was only running her 3 border collies. If Storm had of been a little older last year I probably would have also entered with 3 but I didn't want to push him too much too young. Now he's ready and so is his sister Rain (last year she had an injury, on again off again lame on a front leg so I wasn't doing any training with her) so I've got my 4 dogs ready. Also my pup Flurry is now a year old so he'll be in the 2 mile youth race with my daughter and he'll be teamed up with my lead dog Lightning, who will be running twice at Haliburton and Cannington (the 4-dog 4 mile and the 2-dog 2-mile).

Umm, excuse me... what about Markstay-Warren on the 3rd and 4th???? the snow here is ridiculous! There won't be a repeat of last year this time!

Last year it was at the end of the season if I remember, I think it was scheduled for the same weekend as Apsley. Maybe they were hoping for better conditions this year if they made it an early race at the start of the season. It sounds like a great race, just a bit further away for some of us to get to.

OC_Spirit
December 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Diamondsmum and Spatx, you guys should def come out for the races ;)

Erykah, I'm almost positive both my part-time supervisors are in Mexico that weekend which means there wouldn't be anyone to cover me unless my boss feels like being super nice and working the whole weekend for me...Alas it doesnt look like I'll be making it after all, but I'm still going to try my best!!!

Gail, ypu I'm not concerned about running one dog short. I'm not out there desperate to win anyways, just want to get the dogs out and have some fun!

erykah1310
December 1st, 2008, 06:06 PM
Last year it was at the end of the season if I remember, I think it was scheduled for the same weekend as Apsley. Maybe they were hoping for better conditions this year if they made it an early race at the start of the season. It sounds like a great race, just a bit further away for some of us to get to.
Yeah but.. it runs right through my back yard;):D

Gail P
December 1st, 2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah but.. it runs right through my back yard;):D

So how many mushers and dogs are you willing to have camped out in your front yard? ;)

erykah1310
December 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Its a big yard ;)

Gail P
December 1st, 2008, 07:18 PM
Its a big yard ;)

I need to get me some winter camping gear :laughing: Don't think my 3-season gear would cut it for January in Sudbury area. Then my dogs and I could all pile in the tent and keep each other warm. Mine are used to sleeping on my bed, not in a dogbox, the big sucks! :p :lovestruck: