Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

'Hey, do you guys sell puppies'

kathryn
November 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM
No, we don't sell puppies you butt head!! :mad::mad:

In complete honesty, what the heck planet are these people on that they still try and buy dogs (and cats!) from pet stores!! I mean, in some areas I could understand, but there are young-middle aged people asking me! Have you never been on a computer or watched TV or picked up a newspaper? It's not like puppy mills are some unknown thing around there. there are reports on them all the time! Shelter volunteers *cough like me cough* are out busting our butts trying to get the word out to adopt, but yet some people still don't get it.

Oh duh, incase anyone here is wondering what I'm talking about, it's cause my new job is at a pet SUPPLY shop. We only sell small animals (gold fish, feeder mice etc) and the only 2 critters we sell as pet pets (other then parakeets) are ferrets and rabbits; from a respectable breeder and are neutered prior to us selling them.

But like, day after day lately people are coming in and come to the desk asking where our puppies are :mad: and I keep having to explain to everyone about puppy mills and etc. Even people are calling on the phone asking about puppies!!!

worst of all, I know these people are only buying them for CHRISTMAS PRESENTS!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR

So I'm going ballistic. There really just is no possible way in this day and age (where I live) you could not hear about puppy mills (I give older folks a pass). It's all over the place!!!

blarrhghghghghghgh. So I try talking really fast on the phone saying "PETFINDER.COM" as loud and clear as I can because they try and hang up real quick after I saw 'no, we don't sell puppieS!!!!1'

yeah.... I have a reasonable excuse to be upset though right? I don't want to loose my job but all these people coming in saying they want a miniature golden foodle mabobber thinga magigger is insane!

Etown_Chick
November 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
If they buy 'designer breed' dogs off kijiji, they'll buy from pet stores. Not sure if they don't know or they just don't care. It's sad.

jiorji
November 29th, 2008, 08:03 PM
i understand your frustration, but yet, why is it ok to sell ferrets and rabbits? i know that's not your decision...

ok a hamster, you can just leave it there and it will be ok by itself, but ferrets and rabbits are just like owning a puppy or a cat. A ferret, just like a rabbit can't sit in its cage all day long. Also ferrets need to be trained....blah blah blah...i'm rambling.

To me it's the same thing really. I fostered a rabbit and they require much more attention than they seem to. And from that, sure they end up at the spca or in rescues, but it's not easy to adopt out a rabbit. I think my rabbit was in fostering for at least 10 months. We don't know where she came from, but there's lots of cute fluffy bunnies in stores that shouldn't really be there.

just saying.

Schwinn
November 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM
To be fair, I had no idea about pet store pets until I came on here. A lot of things that we take for granted as "common knowledge", isn't. I think you'll find most members who are on here, who either aren't involved with rescues, or weren't before they got here, didn't have the same level of knowledge as they do now. I always figured pets came from reputable breeders, until I came here.

It's like in my job, my colleagues and I are always finding ourselves saying, "How can people not know blah-blah-blah??" A lot of my knowledge comes from reading papers, watching the news, research on the net. I tell a lot of clients who comment on my level of knowledge, "Most of my information comes from the same resources you have access to, it's just that, I'm interested enough, and it's my job, to look for it". In other words, while the info is out there, may people just aren't that interested enough to pay attention. Not that they are cold, or unfeeling, just that for most people who don't have pets, other than the blurb on the news that "another puppy mill was busted...", they aren't going to go looking for info about puppy mills. I know I didn't, partly because I didn't know what to look for, what was out there. Again, it was Pets.ca that told me to stay away from pet store puppies. (Thank you, Pets.ca!)

pitgrrl
November 29th, 2008, 08:13 PM
The BF works at a pet supply store, no animals at all sold, bought or anything else, and yet every few days he gets a call from someone wanting to sell the store kitten or puppies. It makes me wonder if other pet stores are buying random litters people offer them :shrug:

luckypenny
November 29th, 2008, 08:20 PM
It makes me wonder if other pet stores are buying random litters people offer them :shrug:

I know of several that do. When I meet ppl who have had litters and they weren't able to sell them all, they've brought them to petshops.

I share your thoughts Schwinn. I had heard of puppymills but never really knew what they were either until I started to do some research for specific reasons. There are still so many people who just aren't aware. Much easier to reach them by teaching them.

Mat&Murph
November 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I know the pet store 5 mins from my house buys litters of puppies that are offered to him. then charges 900 dollars for a hienz 57 mutt. I have seen a couple puppies in there that look sick and brought it up to him and have them say that I don't know what I am talking about:wall::frustrated:

Well I am sorry when there are babies in there with green pus in their eyes and mucus coming out their nose It doesn't take a rocket sceintist to know something is wrong. I have phoned the SPCA on them a couple times and the sick puppies are removed (don't know where) But still doesn't stop the selling:wall::frustrated::frustrated:

JennieV
November 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
kathryn, while I understand your frustration, I guarantee that a "piss-off" attitude will not educate them or make them not buy the pet they are looking to buy. The only thing it will do for sure is not make them want to come back to your store. Which is a shame. :shrug:
Why not try a different approach? When someone calls or comes in and asks where your puppies are, explain to them nicely that you don't sell them for A, B, C reasons...When its a phone call, you could say: "no, we don't, but I know where you can get one, probably house trained, vaccinations and all..." and when they obviously ask where, you tell them: on petfinder.com! Or tell them about your shelter, tell them the pluses of adopting, the fact that the pets are vet-checked, vaccinated etc...Attract them to the idea with mentioning the Christmas spirit etc...
The reason why I don't think that you should be angry at these people is because like Schwinn said, not many people REALLY know what puppy mill means. They do not realize just WHAT that means. And that is not a good reason to be hateful or angry at them.
The only thing you are creating by being angry is resentment and anger in return. And if out of 10 people that called/came in, one ends up adopting - you have reached someone, you have achieved something.

People don't like being told they are stupid or not educated, but if you do it the right way - you just might reach more people than you think.

kathryn, you are a BRIGHT, SMART cookie, you are truly someone to look up to, just try to educate them instead of hating them.

zomo
November 29th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I also work at a pet supply store(no animals) and I am glad when people ask me if we sell puppies. It gives me a chance to educate them about puppy mills and how them buying a puppy in a pet store will just keep the puppy mills open. I tell them of the deformed dogs in cages that are to small. Dogs that spend their lives pumping out puppies until they are too old and then :( Well I guess I am preaching to the choir. What I mean to say is be grateful for every person that you can educate because maybe you have saved a life.

kathryn
November 29th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I've given out directions to shelters over the phone and in person as well....

I know not everyone can know everything, but I'm mostly just talking about specifically where I live. 9/10 people know atleast the main idea of puppy mills and pet stores, but the 1/10 really just are not paying attention.

I'm not taking out my anger on any of the customers, but just secretly is hurts a little inside that people still think pet stores selling dogs and cats are okie doke when people spend alot of time and effort trying to tell everyone it's not okay.

It's not just at work.. it's when I'm out doing stuff for the shelter, online or in person. We get people asking us if we have all those silly designer breeds all the time. And it's like they are hell bent on getting those. I could tell them all about a great dog that's the same size as a golderpoodle or whatever they want and they are like nahhh. It's crazy!!

And about the bunnies and ferrets, it's not like we really sell alot of them.. I've been there over a month and have only seen one bunny get sold to someone specifically looking for one that color. Otherwise for the most part, the ferrets are just on display and for the employees to play with, and the bunnies only come in about 2-3 at a time every couple months.

More or less, it's just to have some critters in the store to have on display... but the rest of the animals we display are shelter animals for the dogs and cats.