Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dyeing Material

luckypenny
November 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Susy-Homemaker I am not :o. Anybody have any suggestions as to how to dye curtains :rolleyes:? I have these gorgeous vintage white curtains I picked up at a thrift shop years ago and I'd like to dye them brown for our bedroom. Do I just buy a box of dye and throw it all in a tub? Or is there some place I can bring them to like a dry cleaners to do them for me? I'll warn you that I have a knack for scr*wing things up when it comes to home decorating. I just put up two frames in my room...good thing they're large to cover the 20+ nail holes behind them :o.

BenMax
November 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM
LP - have you considered soaking them in tea? (if that's the color you are thinking of).

luckypenny
November 28th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Actually, I'm thinking of a chocolate fudge brownie sort of color :D.

BenMax
November 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Sounds yummy LP! Well my dear friend, I neither am a crafty home-make type of gal. I hope someone can help...sorry - I just know the tea thing.:)

Mat&Murph
November 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
LP I am sooo not the Suzy house wife either. I did take curtains to a dry cleaner/tailor place to have them dyed. It came out really nice!!!! I paid something like 40 dollars for it. It was a couple years ago but I would do it again. (Too scared I would scr** it up) Hope that help

pitgrrl
November 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Some tailors/drycleaners/etc. will dye them for you.....

......BUT, if you want to try it yourself, here's what I've learned about dyeing.

1.If there are any stains, especially involving grease, on the fabric, it will dye unevenly and make otherwise unnoticeable marks very, very noticeable in some cases.

2.For darker colours, you'll likely need to do it a couple of times.

3.Synthetic materials are a giant pain in the rear, are hard as anything to dye and tend to turn out in all manner of unpredictable ways.

4.You want heat, which means you can do it in your tub, but won't get as good colour as you will doing it on the stove or in the washing machine on the hottest setting. Thrift store, dollar store, or junk shop might get you a really big old pot which you can then use just for dyeing (and won't leave you trying to clean dye off your tub :D)

......my family calls me Martha Steward on acid. They think it's cute.

rainbow
November 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
LP, the curtains sound like they are too gorgeous to take any chances with. What about just leaving them white and also hanging up a chocolate brown topper, swag, or something like that?

luckypenny
November 28th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Pitgrrl, I tried dying my hair once...there was more dye on the floor, counters, and walls than there was on my head. I don't know about the pot on the stove thing :laughing:.

I think I'll try a dry cleaning place...but can I trust them :rolleyes:?

LP, the curtains sound like they are too gorgeous to take any chances with. What about just leaving them white and also hanging up a chocolate brown topper, swag, or something like that?

I thought of that but then the room might be too girly for dh :o. I promised I'd try to get this one to look more neutral than the orange, pink, and green our last bedroom was :D. I think we're going for blues and browns.

Kahne9Lover
November 28th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I have been the manager/drycleaner for 15 years, many of us do not dye fabrics anymore. The usual dyeing process involves hot water, and most vintage fabrics cannot handle it. Alot of white fabrics are treated with optic brighteners which react unfavourably to some chemical treatments. They also don't tend to turn out the color you really want or the color turns out uneven or blotchy. Try a specialty shoppe, or wedding store that sells dyeable shoes etc. They may send you in the right direction or even offer the services.

Frenchy
November 28th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Thrift store, dollar store, or junk shop might get you a really big old pot which you can then use just for dyeing (and won't leave you trying to clean dye off your tub :D)
Yep , I use a bucket , too messy do do in the tub and it would take too much dye because would have to put too much water

......my family calls me Martha Steward on acid. They think it's cute.

:laughing: cute nickname pitgrrl :laughing:

LP , I think you should take them to a dry cleaner that would make it for you. I used to buy the pharmacy dye ,first of all , it's messy to do , and the more you wash them , the dye fades quickly :shrug:

jiorji
November 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
there's dyes made that you just throw in your washing machine and then you put your stuff in there.

Dylon are the best dyes. They're the stuff you use for tie dye but that's just the technique. You use them for any kind of dies and i think they go on mostly anything, synthetics and natural fibers.

I don't know where to get them from in stores, but there's online stores that sell them. I've been doing a research on the best dyes for a tie dye project i wanted to do(such a hippie:rolleyes: HA HA Onster :P) but most people said Dylon is the best.

jiorji
November 29th, 2008, 10:43 PM
i forgot to say LP, that if you do choose to use any dye, you need a fixer. Or the dye will run everytime you wash them.

But I think Dylon has a fizer in it already.

want4rain
November 29th, 2008, 11:00 PM
i vaguely recall someone picking up some dye for clothes at walmart years ago in the.... laundry department. little bottles.... ill take a peek tomorrow when i go for sudafed. its for use in the washer. the lady i know that used it said to make sure you run a load empty after that but that it rinses pretty well.

sorry im not more help tonight. ill look into it tomorrow more if my brain is functioning

-ash