Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neighbours got a new puppy and I have an issue..

Brat
November 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM
My neighbours directly across from me just got a puppy. An adorable 3 month old female Welsh Corgi.

I have a slight problem with the way they are "training" the dog and I don't know what to do. I don't even know if I have the right to do anything and I'm worried it cause a huge argument if I do say something.. :shrug:

Everytime I look outside, that little dog is tied up to the inside door knob, the front door is closed and she's sitting on the front porch which about 5 inches of room to move around cause her leash is too short. So all she can really do is sit there, when she tries to walk around, she gets yanked back by the leash cause it's so short. I see this at LEAST 5 times a day and this is with a work schedule that I have of 9-6pm.. This morning I was on my treadmill by the window and during my 45 minute workout, she was placed outside TWICE. I can just imagine how many times a day she's being dropped outside that I'm not seeing.

Yesterday I got out of my car and went to see her, she was wiggling in excitement as I came up the walkway, I let her kiss me and lick my face and ear..she is adorable.. but the poor thing was trembling so bad. I took her and held her in my arms for about 5 minutes.

What am I supposed to do?? :confused: Is there someone I can call? Can I make a complaint? I have a feeling the police won't take me seriously and they'll tell me what my neighbours are doing is not illegal.

Maybe I'm just being a hard ass but I just don't find it right.

Any suggestions?

BenMax
November 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
HI Brat and welcome to the forum. I only wish you were here under different circumstances.

This is a problem in many counts. Firstly, the dog has food, shelter and water I presume? If so, then there is very little that can be done.

Have you tried talking to these people? If you cannot, then call the MSPCA and explain the situation. Hopefully they can provide them with some 'education'.

I am outspoken so I would personally hand them a brochure for a good trainer. There is a good one in Montreal that I would be pleased to recommend. Or you can sneak there in the early morning and put a brochure between the door.

I am sorry I cannot provide more insight, but if there is no 'physical' abuse there is little that an agency can do.

Sorry you have crappy neighbours. BTW - keep my name - I am certain in a few months this dog will no longer be wanted and will need a good rescue group to get her the heck out of there.

Good luck.

luckypenny
November 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Are your neighbor's anglophone? How about you pick them up a book and perhaps a toy (Kongs are great) as a welcoming gift for their pup? A great title I might suggest is, After You Get Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB721

Some people don't know any better :shrug:. I'd try gently educating them first.

BenMax
November 28th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Are your neighbor's anglophone? How about you pick them up a book and perhaps a toy (Kongs are great) as a welcoming gift for their pup? A great title I might suggest is, After You Get Your Puppy by Ian Dunbar http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB721

Some people don't know any better :shrug:. I'd try gently educating them first.

Lordy Girl that's a better idea! Good one.:thumbs up

Brat
November 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will definitely get a toy and a brochure and/or book for them. The husband is anglo and the wife is francophone. I've spoken to the husband a few times as he has been to the garage we own.

I spoke to him last week about the puppy. I said "I see you got a dog, congrats!" and he said "Yeah... that dog.. we're having so much trouble, she pees and poos everywhere.." and I told him "She's 3 months old, that's normal, she needs to be houstrained."

He told me that his wife and her mother (who also lives there) scream at the dog for having accidents inside. I told him this was not the right way of training the dog at all. I didn't mention anything about the puppy being left outside because at that point I hadn't seen it yet.

Next time I see him or them I will mention it. A lot of people tell me to "put blinders on cause we can't fix everything" The problem with that is, it's right in front of me all the time. My apartment isn't big and I have a patio door leading out to the front that faces their home perfectly. Everytime I turn around, the dog is there. It's hard to turn a blind eye to that :(

I'm sure the dog is fed and given water which is great..so many dogs out there don't have any of that. But something tells me that this dog won't be there for more than two months and that makes me so sad cause I know it's not the dogs fault, it's the owners.

Whenever I noticed a dog disappear in my neighbourhood, the most popular excuse I've gotten from the owner when asked "where's your dog?" is "oh I gave it away, that dog was CRAZY in the head"... YEAH RIGHT.. :rolleyes: The DOG was crazy...uh-uh..

Love4himies
November 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM
How sad to have to watch that. I am like BenMax, I wouldn't be able to be quiet about it.

LP: excellent idea :thumbs up

BenMax
November 28th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Brat - please keep open communication with this neighbour. Tell him to let you know if it becomes to much to let you know first. You can let me know if this dog requires re-homing and I will take her into our rescue. I know that you do not know me but in time you will. I have a strong feeling that this little one will be re-homed.

luckypenny
November 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
There's Mon Chien Est Bien Eleve and L'Education Du Chien by Dr. Joel Dehasse. You can find them at most Renaud Bray books stores. Another great book is Comme un Chien by Jean Lessard...some training techniques towards the end but this is one book that may give them a little more insight into the relationship between humans and dogs. They'll look at their puppy in a different light other than a 'possession' after reading this one. Bonus is Jean Lessard is a local trainer (in Brossard) so, if if by some chance they really want some help to be better owners, they can always sign up for his puppy classes.

BenMax
November 28th, 2008, 02:09 PM
There's Mon Chien Est Bien Eleve and L'Education Du Chien by Dr. Joel Dehasse. You can find them at most Renaud Bray books stores. Another great book is Comme un Chien by Jean Lessard...some training techniques towards the end but this is one book that may give them a little more insight into the relationship between humans and dogs. They'll look at their puppy in a different light other than a 'possession' after reading this one. Bonus is Jean Lessard is a local trainer (in Brossard) so, if if by some chance they really want some help to be better owners, they can always sign up for his puppy classes.

That is the trainer I was thinking off LP - thanks.

JennieV
November 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Hi Brat! Welcome to the forum, and like BenMax said, we wish it was under a mor pleasant circumstances.
That kind of treatment is hard to see, even though it may not qualify as abuse, its still mistreatment. A 3-month old puppy...and they YELL at her for accidents...:loser:!
Are you able to educate them? what I mean is like LP suggested, buy them a welcoming gift, but if you can, talk to them, tell them HOW to do it... I mean people sometimes are :wall: and expect their animals to just KNOW how to behave and what is allowed or not allowed. :shrug: And definitely let them know that if it becomes too much - to tell you first.

You could potentially involve the SPCA, but they probably would need a more serious complaint than that.

Brat
November 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the welcoming guys/gals :)

and yes, I also wish it was under better circumstances..

BenMax, I know what you mean, I really have a bad feeling about this and I am almost sure that this dog will need to be re-homed. :sad: unless maybe I can open their eyes and talk some sense into them!

I will definitely talk to them when I see them. Thank you for the book suggestions. I think I'll swing by Renaud Bray today.

Instead of making it look like "HEY dumb***! Here's a training book cause you're an idiot with your dog!" (cause that's what I'd love to say HEHE :D) Maybe I'll put together a little gift basket and when I give it to them I'll also include some verbal tips and tricks on how to housetrain a puppy and other things as well.

BenMax
November 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Brat - I have a feeling that you are going to fit into this forum just fine!:D

chico2
November 28th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Brat,I know exactly how you feel,but if this pup is on the front-porch,maybe there is no shelter from the cold and she is freezing,she is just a baby:sad:
It's always better to try a friendly approach,both for the pup and you.
Also,I am glad you noticed and are willing to help the little girl,many people would just say"it's not my business"but it is our business to help those who cannot help themselves.:dog:
WELCOME TO OUR FORUM!

totallyhip
November 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Hi there and welcome!

Sorry you have to see that. Alot of people are so clueless and expect a puppy to be trained. It is sad to see and so frustrating. We see dogs that come into our rescue for alot of those reasons too. "the dog was crazy" "couldn't train him" "too much energy" "kept peeing in the house". Basically it all boils down to....yup someone is crazy alright!!! YOU :loser:

Anyhow I am with you. I always try to be the nice diplomatic one in our rescue group. My co volunteer always says I'm too nice! Try the welcome Puppy basket. Otherwise if your in their face right away you could alienate your neighbour and then they won't even talk to you. Which will be non beneficial to the dog.

Good luck and keep us posted :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hi Brat and welcome back. I see you've been a member for quite some time. I don't have any more info for you. You have been given lots of great info from the other memebers. Just wanted to say good luck and keep us informed! Thanks for caring about this pup. I have a feeling he is going to need an :angel: in his life soon.

Kahne9Lover
November 28th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Another idea could be if you just happen to offer to have a "playdate" with your dog, or offer to take him along for a walk. I had a neighbor who tied her JRT out all the time (he was an unwanted Christmas gift from her ex to the kids). I offered to walk him with my dog, and it opened up conversation, so when she said she wanted to get rid of the dog, I was able to gently direct her in the direction of a rescue. You're an :angel2: for not looking away.

Mat&Murph
November 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Hey Brat and welcome!!! It sucks that people expect for a puppy to be house broken in a day. The poor baby stuck out in the cold!!! The other members have given you some really great ideas so I just wanted to say Welcome and Good Luck. Hopefully you will be able to help the poor baby from the cold. :angel2:

ancientgirl
November 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the forum. That poor little dog. I'm wondering if the wife and mother didn't realize the dog would actually poo and pee.:rolleyes:

Some people are so in love with the idea of a pet, just being able to say they have a dog or a cat, yet they have no clue it takes some responsibility to keep that pet.

I hope you can get through to them.:fingerscr

Frenchy
November 28th, 2008, 11:45 PM
He told me that his wife and her mother (who also lives there) scream at the dog for having accidents inside.

If you haven't already , please tell him to tell his wife & mom to stop the screaming at the dog , no wonder he makes a mess everywhere :wall:

Positive reinforcement , just tell him , every time they take the dog outside , to praise him like crazy when he does poop and pee :thumbs up

Brat
December 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Little update:

My boyfriend and I were in the car leaving our place on Saturday when I looked out and saw the poor puppy out on the porch again.

I had had enough and asked my boyfriend to find the husband's phone number in his cell phone. I pulled over and called him right away. He didn't pick up so I left him a long message basically explaining that the dog is out on the porch and I have seen her there MANY times throughout the week. That when I went to see her a few days ago, the poor girl was trembling. I told him that this isn't the way to teach the dog anything and if he needs any help or has any questions, I'd be glad to help. I'll take her for walks and even talk to everyone there about basic training techniques.

I probably sounded PISSED off and loud in my message but I don't care..hehe.. I got my point across.

So far, I haven't seen the dog out since that one time. He hasn't called back but I know he's really busy with work so I didn't expect a call back right away. Either way, I am still putting together a little gift basket with a book, a brochure, some toys, etc.

I just had enough and my blood was boiling so I had to call.

aslan
December 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
thanks for stepping up for the poor little thing. ummm do you know a neighbour on either side of these people who can check to make sure they haven't just started locking the little one out back.

Brat
December 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
hehe yeah I thought of that today! I don't know anyone on either side of them unfortunately but I will know if I hear her barking.

At least in the backyard, I would hope they'd let her run around. That's what I couldn't understand. Why lock her on the front porch with about 5 inches of room to move cause of her leash when they have a backyard that she could run free in?! ARGH!!