Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spayed Cat Acting as Though She's in Heat

sharviss
November 27th, 2008, 09:37 PM
We adopted our little cutie, Mrs. Potts, from the BC SPCA October 19th of this year. They told us that she's a former stray and had been spayed. Great, right? So what I don't understand is why she's acting like she's in heat right now. She's wandering around the house, yowling. She rubs herself along the floor. She lifts her bum up when you touch her and she lays flat on the ground with her tail held to the side. Exactly what you'd expect from a cat in heat. This is the third day that this has been going on and my husband and I are exhausted because she's keeping us up all night. I'm making an appointment with the vet tomorrow to try to get some answers, but, in the meantime, does anyone here have any ideas?

14+kitties
November 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
You have an appt with your vet. :thumbs up Great!! Until then.......... earplugs?? :shrug:
How long ago did you adopt her? Was it recently or was it a while back? Just wondering because if it had been a while back you should/would have seen this behaviour before from her. Did the shelter you got her from spay her or did they say it was done before they found her? It is entirely possible if they didn't do it that she isn't done. She could have an old scar or something on her belly that they took for a spay scar but it might not be. What you are describing sounds exactly like a heat cycle to me.
Good luck. Keep us up to date please.

sharviss
November 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
14+kitties - we adopted her Oct. 19, 2008 so very recently. I didn't think to ask the shelter if they had her spayed or if she was spayed already. And, though I'm sure I seem a little dense, until today I never thought she could be in heat because she is (supposedly) spayed. I did look at her belly to see if I could find a scar but I couldn't though I may just have missed it :shrug:

kathryn
November 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
If this shelter does not fix before they adopt out, or did not personally do the spay themselves, she's probably not fixed. You can have the vet check for a scar. If she's too furry she might need some of her tummy shaved, but no big deal. If worst comes to worst, if they go to fix her and find out she's already fixed, then it might cost a bit but it really won't do any serious harm. I've seen it happen where people have adopted stray females and brought them in to get fixed and we've found the spay scars.. and other times where we didn't and opened them up to find out they're already fixed!

That does sound like a heat cycle though.... I wonder if there is any type of fool proof way to see if a female cat is preggers or not without opening them up and checking....

Did she actually come with a spay certificate?

14+kitties
November 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Yep, I would think the vet is your best bet. It would be very difficult to feel the spay incision because they are pretty small. Once they heal and the fur has grown back you really don't feel anything. The best thing to do is let the vet check for the scar. Hopefully he can find one. If not, the next thing will be to set up an appt for spaying.
Definately call the shelter and ask if they had her done or if they just think she was spayed. Maybe find out how long they had her before you adopted her. If she wasn't a stray but was really a release then the old owners may have told the shelter she was spayed just so the shelter would take her.
Sorry I can't be of more help. You are doing the best thing taking her to the vet to be checked. We sure don't need any more unwanted kitties around. Thanks for adopting her as well. :thumbs up

Karin
November 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Yep, I would think the vet is your best bet. It would be very difficult to feel the spay incision because they are pretty small. Once they heal and the fur has grown back you really don't feel anything. The best thing to do is let the vet check for the scar. Hopefully he can find one. If not, the next thing will be to set up an appt for spaying.
Definately call the shelter and ask if they had her done or if they just think she was spayed. Maybe find out how long they had her before you adopted her. If she wasn't a stray but was really a release then the old owners may have told the shelter she was spayed just so the shelter would take her.
Sorry I can't be of more help. You are doing the best thing taking her to the vet to be checked. We sure don't need any more unwanted kitties around. Thanks for adopting her as well. :thumbs up

It is easier to feel the mid line spay scar on a dog than a cat. Cat's heal much nicer. It sure sounds like she is in heat. And, people do lie and mistakes in paper work do occur.

Mat&Murph
November 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
That sounds like she is in heat!!! Good thing you got a fast appointment with the vet!! I hope everthing works out for you and your furry girl!:fingerscr Let us know what happens

sharviss
November 27th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I did check the paperwork that the SPCA gave us and it does say she was spayed. It doesn't say when though. They told me that she was in the shelter for six months and that she was originally from a different shelter in BC. We got her from the Vancouver SPCA and they are quite busy so a mistake could easily have been made. Also, I would think she was a pet before becoming a stray, because she's very comfortable with people but I'm not a cat expert so maybe that's just her 'personality'.
It was my understanding that the Van. SPCA doesn't allow unspayed/neutered cats to be adopted but I could be wrong.
Thanks for the advice and opinions - I will keep you updated! :)

Love4himies
November 28th, 2008, 06:03 AM
It is possible for an ovary to be missed during the spaying which means she can't get pregnant, but will go into heat. Your vet will be able to look for a spay scar and take it from there.

sharviss
November 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM
On the advice of our vet, we contacted the SPCA and told them what was going on. The Vancouver SPCA contacted the Quesnel SPCA (where she originally came from) and apparently the staff at the Quesnel shelter thought they felt a spay scar so they didn't do anything more with her. When they shipped her to Van they told the staff there she was spayed.
She is booked for a spay shave and check over at the SPCA animal hospital on Wednesday. I was happy with that but also was looking for a quicker result as both my husband and I need sleep. The Vancouver shelter is kindly allowing us to board Mrs. Potts free of charge there until Wednesday. I felt so bad leaving my sweet little kitty but if we don't get some sleep, one of us is going to get into an accident. I an very, very curious to see what they find when they do the exam.

Mat&Murph
November 29th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Holy...what a mess.** Hopefully the vet visit will answer some questions.* Good luck

14+kitties
November 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM
:fingerscr you will find she has not been spayed. I noticed she is 5 years old? Makes you wonder why the staff at the shelter didn't notice she was in heat if they had her for six months. I know they have lots of cats but you are saying she is quite "vocal". They should have noticed too. :shrug: :goodvibes: for a successful stay.

sharviss
November 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
That crossed my mind too 14+kitties. I don't know what is happening but I am very much looking forward to hearing what the vet finds. Mrs. Potts was in with the cats with respiratory illnesses when we got her. Would that temporarily stop the heat cycle? Though even if it did, I doubt she was sick for six months!

14+kitties
November 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately female cats will go "into heat" even on their death beds. :sad: It doesn't matter how sick they are if there is a male around their body responds by going into the estrous cycle. It is so sad and the biggest reason why people need to get them fixed! I can't see her not having a cycle especially if she was with other cats. :shrug:
Very confusing. Let us know what the vet says.
On the good side, I guess you and hubby can catch up on your sleep. Have you been granted visitation with Mrs. Potts so she doesn't think you have deserted her?

sharviss
December 2nd, 2008, 12:10 AM
I was planning on visiting my kitty today but a horrible thing happened. My 93 year old Grandma fell and broke her pelvis and hip so I am flying out to South Dakota to be with her. I leave tomorrow morning so I was busy making arrangements today. I miss Mrs. Potts as I could really use some kitty love right now.

Love4himies
December 2nd, 2008, 06:39 AM
So sorry to hear about your grandmother :grouphug:

sharviss
December 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
So she was not spayed when we originally got her. She is now though :) Unfortunately, she caught a cold at the SPCA and is quite sneezy but it seems like she's slowly starting to feel better.
Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice!

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2008, 11:22 AM
How is your grandmother, sharviss? :eek: I hope she's on the mend :grouphug:

Good to hear that Mrs Potts is on her way to recovery...and finally safely spayed! :thumbs up

sharviss
December 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Hazelrunpack: My Grandma is doing better than we expected. She broke her pelvis but did not break her hip after all. If she had broken her hip, they would've likely needed to perform surgery and it would've been risky as my Grandma has an aneurysm in her stomach that should NOT be disturbed. Despite it not being as serious as I originally thought, I am so glad I went to see her. She's 93 so who knows if I'll get another chance.
Thank you very much for asking.:)

kathryn
December 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you for spaying your cat!!! :thumbs up We all appreciate it very much even though that may make no sense to you :o

Hope your grandma gets better real quickly! My grandmoms are tough as nails I swear :laughing: but the one is a bit more prone to illness then the other. She recently had to have gallstones removed or something. I went to go visit her once she went back to work and she pulled up her shirt and was like 'LOOK AT THIS SCAR!!!!!' and thought it was awesome :p

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Glad to hear it! Although a pelvis break is nothing to sneeze at, either!

I know what you mean about more chances to visit. My Gramps was 100 last spring and you treat every moment like it's your last moment together... :grouphug:

14+kitties
December 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Very good of them to spay her at their cost (I hope). You, and she, will have much better night's sleeps now. :thumbs up I am sorry she caught a cold whilst at the shelter. Lets hope she recovers fast and is back to her regular self sans heat cycles.

Also glad to hear your grandmother is doing better. At 93 she is fragile. I lost my mom in July and miss her terribly every single day. :grouphug: to your grandmom.