Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A couple of other family members...

JennieV
November 27th, 2008, 09:21 PM
So I was bored today...and trigger-happy on my cam...LOL here are some aquatic members of my extended family..
1. Japanese fan Shrimp
2. Male Kribensis (ciclid) - my fave in the whole tank!
3. Male and female (the one with rounder body and a cherry-red belly) Kribensis...The female was harder to get, because they are apparently looking for a breeding spot..so she is all over the tank and very spooky...

Tommysmom
November 27th, 2008, 09:33 PM
They're lovely!

If they're looking for a breeding spot, that means you're going to have little ones soon! How sweet:cloud9:.

hazelrunpack
November 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Ooooo....that shrimp is too cool!! I didn't even know you could keep shrimp in a tank. :o What's the life-span of a shrimp?

JennieV
November 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
It varies Hazel...Some get eaten very fast...:rolleyes: Some, like the fan shrimp, can stay longer...We have had him for about 6 months now!

and... THEY ARE BREEDING RIGHT NOW!!!!! :eek::eek::eek: I am seeing this for the first time and its supa-cool!!!! The female goes in, layers the eggs (for some reason she chose a rooftop of a tree trunk, so she turns upside down!) then the male goes and fertilizes the eggs! and they are soooo beautiful! they come into full color when breeding!
I am trying to get some pics! but dont want to disturb them too much either..
Sooooooo...if everything goes good, I will have baby kribs in about a week! :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
November 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
:highfive:

That's pretty cool, too!! :thumbs up

JennieV
November 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
here we go...its impossible to see, but will give you an idea what they are doing:
1. the male is guarding the entrance to the little cave (tree trunk), while the female is inside, upside down, putting the eggs up.
2. both are out, seducing each other! :lovestruck: these little fishies have the most amazing rituals! the female "belly-dances" in front of the male, and he shakes his whole body in return...I will try to video it too!

hazelrunpack
November 27th, 2008, 09:49 PM
They're in love :flirt:

Fish fascinate me, but I've never had good luck keeping them... :o Well...goldfish I did okay with, but tropicals I just don't have the knack for. :shrug:

JennieV
November 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
here are some more...you can really see the colors on them! I am sooooooo excited!!!

hazelrunpack
November 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
So if they have babies, will you have to separate the youngun's to keep 'em from getting et? :o

JennieV
November 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
well...in a normal situation, I would...but right now, we have 3 tanks up and NO MORE space for a fourth one...what happens is that mommy will be "sitting" on eggs until they hatch...then they have their yolk sacks attached for about 4 days...after that, they will start swimming out of the cave and I have to start squirting down some baby food...But if any danger, momma takes them all in her mouth and carries them away (if she gets too stressed or scared - she eats them:eek:)...she looks like a squirrel or a chipmunk that way... I had babies a couple of times before, but only a few survive...and I never seen the mating part in action, only post-factum...

14+kitties
November 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Very neat pictures.
Once the babies get to a certain size can't you put them in one of those floating traps? They are supposed to keep the babies safe from being eaten until they are big enough to defend themselves.
Sorry, I don't know much about fish either. I do have a trap here though from when my angels years ago had babies.

hazelrunpack
November 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Aw, that's too bad. You don't have a friend with enough tank room to take a few?

Mat&Murph
November 27th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Wow what great pics JennieV!!! The fish and shrimp look great!!! :thumbs up I hope the baby fish are going to be ok:lovestruck: That is soo cool

JennieV
November 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM
we discussed this yesterday with DH...we decided to take the fish in the smallest of the three tanks and put it in two other tanks, thus creating a tank just for the babies. :thumbs up:D Since the fish we will be moving are guppies, they are pretty well adjustable and will do fine even if it is crowded in the other two tanks...
This morning, I checked the tank, the mommy was sitting inside, fanning the eggs (to make sure they are oxygenized) daddy was chasing away curious tank mates...but they seem to be ok, not too territoral at the moment.
:cloud9::cloud9:

hazelrunpack
November 28th, 2008, 11:18 AM
A nursery tank! When they're bigger will you just put the guppies back in with the babies? Methinks you're gonna need to get bigger tanks. :D

JennieV
November 28th, 2008, 11:39 AM
:eek: I think I am gonna need a bigger place to live!
LOL

Mat&Murph
November 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
AWWW thats soo cute about the Momma fanning her eggs!!! I agree JennieV, I think we all need a bigger house for all our furry and scally kids!!lol

JennieV
December 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I posted this in the fishie section, but figured I would update you guys!

I haz babiez!! MANY MANY babiez!
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=709394#post709394

rainbow
December 9th, 2008, 12:46 AM
I totally missed this original thread and it is so informative. :thumbs up

I've never had fish and these ones are so :cool: .....beautiful colours. :lovestruck: