Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dogs and their crazy eating habits

brianna079
November 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Just wondering what i can do, if anything, about their eating habits.

Both dogs eat as if they have never seen food before - they dont chew it, they are like vaccums...my younger of the two sometimes even chokes on his kibble.

They are both fed the appropriate amounts, i have even tried feeding them several times during the day and this does not help. they are both surprisingly polite during feeding time, neither one bothers the other or tried to stick their snout in the other one`s bowl.

They are both dobermans, but the dobermans i had in the past never behaved like this...any ideas?

bendyfoot
November 27th, 2008, 09:22 AM
One of my three dogs is like this...she's finished her meal in seconds, long before the other two. She does not chew. It's just one of those things, as far as I can tell, a personality quirk. There are a few things you can try to slow down the eating, though...you can put something like a tennis ball in the food dish, so the dog has to eat around it...you can also do a "find it" game, where you hide small amounts around the room...or you can buy a puzzle toy that the dogs have to work on to get the kibbles to fall out of the toy...(the latter two also add a little exercise!):D

mummummum
December 16th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Yes I know this an an older thread (*cringes thinking something 18 days old is considered "old") but this is a common enough problem it would be great if some one (bendy dahlink?) would write a piece in the edumecation section.

rainbow
December 17th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I will leave the "edumecation" post for bendyfoot or else you, mums. :D

If the tennis ball (or kong) in the bowl doesn't work then you can also try spreading the kibble out in a cookie pan or a bundt cake pan. There are also bowls like this if you want to spend the bucks.....

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5717/

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/330918/the_eat_better_dog_bowl_is_new_approach.html

http://www.eatslowerpetdishes.com/dogdishes.html

bendyfoot
December 18th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Yes I know this an an older thread (*cringes thinking something 18 days old is considered "old") but this is a common enough problem it would be great if some one (bendy dahlink?) would write a piece in the edumecation section.

Ha, shows how much I re-read "old" threads. I'm late!!!:eek::laughing:

Lemme see what I can come up with. (Yay, a project! bendy=geek)

babysweet
December 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM
There are several bowls on the market that force dogs to eat slower.

My current favourite is the EatBetter and DrinkBetter bowls. One is for water, one for food. They're a bit pricey (about $30 each) but they're well worth the expense. I have one dog who will swallow two cups of food whole, and the bowl slows her eating time down to about four minutes (HUGE improvement). Another one drinks water so fast he regurgitates it later on - on the carpet of course. The bowl has a floating little cup in it that forces them to lap little tablespoons of water at a time, instead of gulping.

They are wonderful, and I would recommend them to anyone experiencing the same problem. We've tried several other products, and none have worked as well.

Best of luck!