Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I am not rich but-dog ears-best food

loveyadogs
November 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM
:lightbulb:
ok, my wee ****hu has bad smells out his ears.(reacurring) he has no ear mites and has saw a vet.
I think it is food related as we are on the vets choice of food (heinz) and i
want to change it , his skin is not great neither.
I amnot rich but want to change foods.
I need both wet and dry though please.Both to mix.
I have PETSMART very close to me, PAULMACS not so close ut ok and then ryan pet store not close at all but....thats all i have to choose from to buy what you suggest.Keeping in mind I need both dry and wet what can I do here

aslan
November 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM
first try cleaning the little ones ears with apple cider vinegar, it will help. Then you want to get him on as little grain, or totally grain free food. Look for Wellness, evo, innova, orijen, merricks, etc. the stores you mentioned should carry them. one of these should help with his skin issues. that or switch him/her to raw. there are some really knowledgeable people on here about food someone will come along and give you the exact info you need.

loveyadogs
November 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
oh yes I clean the ears but his hair is getting greasy as well even after bath,

BusterBoo
November 26th, 2008, 03:03 PM
If it is a shih tzu that you have, smelly ears aren't uncommon, it's usually a yeast infection which the Vet can give you drops for (the drops are very inexpensive). If you are bathing your tzu you have to make sure that he doesn't get water in the ear and if he does, dry it out compltely.

For skin problems, I have found that either Wellness or Orijen are best for my tzu.

kathryn
November 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
If PetSmart is closest to you, get Blue Buffalo. Atleast it would be a start, no?

www.bluebuff.com. I don't know if it's at Petsmarts in other countries but it should be. They have a grain free formula. It's not top of the line, but it's up there.

loveyadogs
November 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Orijen is also opffered, not near my house but close enough.I will go and see about it tonight

Gwen

MIA
November 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Get your dog to a groomer I know with the breed at times the ear hair also needs to be plucked! I know sounds terrible but will help and YES change to a decent food low in corn, wheat etc.

aslan
November 27th, 2008, 10:20 PM
pullin the ear hair is actually very easy, sprinkle a little baby powder in the ear or on your fingers and rub on the skin, just take a few hairs between you fingers and give a gentle tug, they come out easily.(retired groomer by the way)

MIA
November 27th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Thanks for posting that aslan! I don't know how to do it but knew it was a possible solution! :thumbs up

aslan
November 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
no problem MIA, i know what a groomer will charge for doing it and it is so easy to do, save the money and do it yourself. easier than doin your eyebrows, the powder makes the hair easier to grab and absorbs the oil so the hair comes easy.

loveyadogs
November 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I am so thankful for this info
I will do so tonight
I have the baby powder and there is some hair in there with the wax in it, I will try to get rid of as much as I can

loveyadogs
December 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
ok I did it. did Ok. They are smelly still but that is becasue he gets smelly from the build up.:thumbs up THANKS