Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten urinary problems?

Deb G.
November 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Hi All.

I'm in need of some advice before I go trotting off to my vet's yet again. We just acquired a beautiful 8-week old kitten who is currently going through the kitten-vet routine of vaccinations, deworming, Revolution for ear mites etc.

Over the past couple of days he has been going to his litter box, mewing, digging, and then leaving the box without going. When he first came to us, he was urinating up to 5 times per day and drinking a bunch of water. This mewing and digging behaviour without going is relatively new but then again, he is relatively new to us so we don't know if this is just a temporary quirk in his personality. Today he has only urinated once yet he still is still drinking water.

The question is this: is he too young to have urinary tract problems?

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
nope he's not too young, i'd take him into the vets to make sure and get him all fixed up. poor little one's having a rough start huh.

Deb G.
November 25th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the response. I kind of thought this was yet another vet call. He's already on two different meds (which as I'm sure you know is no picnic to administer to a kitten!) and I just hate the thought of him being poked and prodded yet again at the vet's office. He's such a sweet, lovable kitten with a sunny disposition that I don't want him traumatized by numerous vet appointments and the pill popping nightmares that seem to follow his appointments.

Ah well, I guess he has to go through all of this to be a happy, healthy boy! He'll just have a wreck for a mother though:)

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
if it's possible to get a little urine sample to take it might speed things up some.

Love4himies
November 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
How are his poops? Could he be constipated?

He definitely needs to go back to the vet, kittens can go downhill very, very quickly.

Please keep us posted on how the little guy is doing.

Deb G.
November 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
You raise a good question. I had wondered if he was a bit constipated as well. As a bit more background, he was diagnosed with coccidia (?sp) which means his stool was very loose...so he was on meds for that. The meds apparently worked really well as that issue has cleared up but I did wonder if it didn't do the opposite and bunged him up a bit. He still is having a BM but it's quite small compared to when we first got him.

And he finally urinated again last night (so that's twice in one day) and I didn't observe any mewing prior to him going. So just maybe his little system is going through an adjustment to the meds he was given for his bowels and all will be well soon. We're keeping a close eye on him though...maybe too close - my daughter thinks I'm being neurotic about this kitten:)