Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's in your freezer?

bendyfoot
November 25th, 2008, 10:19 AM
No, I don't want to hear about the pre-Stone Age freezer-burnt peas.:laughing:

I'm looking for nutritious, low fat, yummy recipes that I can stock my freezer with.

Foodies, hook me up!!!

joeysmama
November 25th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Oooh, this is right up my alley. What kind of meals are you looking for? Protein meals, carbs, vegetarian, vegan? I love sharing recipes.

Here's my favorite easy meal. I just made it for company and they RAVED. It's a little cold to be grilling but it's worth it. You could probably do this on an indoor burner just use a grilled pan--like a panini pan with the ridges?

Seasoned salmon steaks (makes 2-4 steaks)

Mix sugar, salt, garlic powder and red pepper flakes in a dish. I'd say half a cup of sugar, a tablespoon of salt, tablespoon of garlic powder (not garlic salt) and a couple generous shakes of the pepper. You want ti to taste sweet AND savory. Taste it and adjust until you get the seasoning you like. There's no worng way to do this.

Press the salmon steaks into the seasoning. Press down hard, then turn them over and press again. Press twice on each side and set aside. You can do this up to an hour before you grill them.

Then just grill them up and serve with a nice tossed salad and crusty bread !!

bendyfoot
November 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I like all-in one meals, but mainly the protein part of the dish, 'cause I can always steam some veggies or make a quick salad. I just don't want to do the BIG cooking when I come home from work. Recently I've made: chili, lasagna, cassoulet, stuffed meat loaf, sauce for pasta (putanesca), breaded chicken fingers, tuna casserole...that kind of thing. Something I can pull out the night before and warm up in the oven or on the stovetop quickly.

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
bendyfoot the dough for ravioli and perogies is the same, i will make a mass batch of dough and fill with different stuff, some potatoes and cheese, some groundbeef, some mushrooms, whatever, then just freeze them. when you want to eat them just drop in water boil and put whatever sauce on them. perogies must fry too. mmmmm.

bendyfoot
November 25th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Got a fave pasta recipe? I've never made fresh pasta before, DW has, though...

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM
i'll find it and post it, it's pretty basic tho.

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 11:53 AM
to make the ravioli and stuff just change the filling.

PEROGIES

4 to 5 potatoes, mashed
1 lb. cheese
Salt to taste

DOUGH:

4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
Water for consistency

Mix cheese with mashed potatoes. Make dough. Roll out on floured surface, cut out holes in the dough with a large biscuit cutter or large rimmed glass. Place in the center of each circle of dough a spoonful of potatoes. Press the edges together to form half a circle. Drop the pierogi into rapidly boiling water. When it comes to the surface it is ready to be placed in wax paper for freezing or in a frying pan with butter and onions for your supper side dish.

Joeyjoejoe
November 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
My freezer is very baron, except for 3 things:

-Individually packaged raw chicken breast, so when I cook I only need to thaw what I need... although it does waste a lot of sandwich bags.
-Chili in individual containers... for the same reason as above.
-Jumbo Freezes :rolleyes:

Chili only gets better when reheated... makes for a good freezer stuffer.

There are plenty of good recipes online, so I'll just list a few things I do:

-Cube beef and seer on high. Keep the insides raw, it will cook in the chili. For lower fat, avoid ground beef/pork.
-Add beef bullion cubes.
-Don't just stick with kidney beans and chili powder, but instead use a variety of beans and a variety of chilies.
-I like doing this, but most people don't... I garnish with uncooked chopped onions. It gives it a little crunch.

joeysmama
November 25th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I have chicken soup in my freezer and also a container of chili. They're great to have on hand. I have a white chili recipe made with chicken and white beans. I'll look for that and post it. Easy and healthy. Do you use a crock pot ever? I've thrown boneless breasts chicken breasts in the crock pot and added a jar of salsa. Serve it over rice.

totallyhip
November 25th, 2008, 10:48 PM
you guys have human food in there????? :laughing: we feed raw and the dogs have their own freezers and yet their food still ends up in ours :rolleyes:

I love making home made chicken soup, lasagnas, meat pies (great after thanksgiving/xmas turkey) and even if you just freeze pasta sauces its great time saver. You come home and just boil some pasta and defrost the sauce heat and pour on top! I cheat sometimes and buy premade frozen stuff from Costco. DH and I find we eat out too much because we get too busy to think ahead about dinner, so this way it kinda stops us from eating out but is still convenient :thumbs up

Karin
November 25th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I have chicken soup in my freezer and also a container of chili. They're great to have on hand. I have a white chili recipe made with chicken and white beans. I'll look for that and post it. Easy and healthy. Do you use a crock pot ever? I've thrown boneless breasts chicken breasts in the crock pot and added a jar of salsa. Serve it over rice.

I have a bunch of chicken/vegi soup in my freezer too! I made a huge pot earlier this month, brought two baggies full to friend who can't boil water. Then I put the remaining soup in serving size baggies so I can grab and run to work. Last Sunday I roasted a stuffed small turkey and did the same. I have some turkey and other stuff to run to my same friend that can't boil water.
I also like to cook my own beans, lima's, kidney, black eyes. Sometimes I do not want meat for my meal at work and these will do. And my above friend always gets a few frozen bags as well.
When you live alone as I do, it's hard to cook for just one. And I hate to eat out.