Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Truckers, GPS, Garmin

want4rain
November 25th, 2008, 09:45 AM
so before i get my sorry pregnany butt out of bed at 2am Friday morning (black friday sales) and stand in line for SEVERAL hours (doors dont even open until 5am) for the Garmin Nuvi 260w (for $189)..... i need some serious reassurance that my dad will be able to use this thing for his truck routes. im finding very little information in my hunting around (ill admit it hasnt been much hunting.... i have a rather outdated OS and Flash player... been a pain to not be able to look at some of these pages) on how this truck route thing works. is it a map you download? do all Garmins come with it?

my dad better love me. :cool:

-ashley

Diamondsmum
November 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Hi want4rain,

I just quickly did a google search on it & it got great reviews

happycats
November 25th, 2008, 10:12 AM
We have a Garmin Nuvi, and LOVE it!!!!

Here are the specs on the 260W

Physical & Performance:
Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 4.8"W x 2.9"H x .8"D (12.2 x 7.4 x 2.0 cm)
Display size, WxH: 3.81"W x 2.25"H (9.7 x 5.7 cm); 4.3" diag (10.9 cm)
Display resolution, WxH: 480 x 272 pixels
Display type: WQVGA color TFT with white backlight
Weight: 6.1 ounces (172.93 g)
Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion
Battery life: up to 5 hours
Waterproof: no
High-sensitivity receiver: yes
RoHS version available: yes
Maps & Memory:
Basemap: yes
Preloaded maps: yes
Ability to add maps: yes
Built-in memory: internal solid state
Accepts data cards: SD™ card (not included)
Waypoints/favorites/locations: 500
Routes: 0
Features:
Voice prompts (e.g. "Turn right in 500 ft."): yes (internal speaker)
Speaks street names (e.g. "Turn right ON ELM STREET in 500 ft.") : yes
Speech recognition (navigate with voice commands): no
Lane assist (guides you to the proper lane for navigation): no
3-D map view: yes
3-D building view (displays buildings in 3-D): no
Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route): no
Auto re-route (fast off-route and detour recalculation): yes
Choice of route setup (faster time, shorter distance, off road): yes
Route avoidance (avoid highways, tolls etc.): yes
Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest): yes
Hands-free calling with Bluetooth® wireless technology: no
FM traffic compatible: no
XM® Navtraffic (includes basic weather) & Radio for U.S. compatible: no
MSN® Direct for U.S. compatible: no
Multimode (switches modes to drive, hike, bike or boat): no
Where Am I? (find closest hospitals, police & gas stations, nearest address & intersection): no
Garmin Locate™ (marks position when removed from windshield mount): no
Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos): no
MP3 player: no
Audio book player: no
Picture viewer: yes
Garmin Garage™ (select car-shaped icons for map navigation): yes
World travel clock, currency & unit converter, calculator: yes
Touchscreen: yes
Qwerty or ABC keyboard (choose keyboard layout): no
Remote control: no
FM transmitter: no
Headphone jack/audio line-out: no
Dead reckoning: no
Garmin Lock™ (anti-theft feature): yes
Motorcycle-friendly: no
Geocaching-friendly: no
Additional: This USB mass storage device is compatible with Windows® 2000 or later and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later.

Bearsmom
November 25th, 2008, 10:51 AM
We have both a garmin nuvi and a different make (which escapes me right now), and I much prefer the garmin.

Chris21711
November 25th, 2008, 11:00 AM
We are buying a GPS for our daughter for Xmas, I'm not looking to buy a top of the line one, on the other hand don't want a dud either. I know absolutely nothing about them. How much does this one retail for in Canada?

Raumas
November 25th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Your dad should be happy with it, once he gets used to it.

The routing functions do have some qwerks:

It will often ignore the shortest/fastest route in favor of staying on highways and major roads. If you already know how to get where you want to go, the direction you receive may seem a little odd.

The voice prompts have earned the universal nickname "Bitchy Betty". You'll run into this everytime you disregard its directions in favor of your own good judgement. There's no two ways about it. When it announces that it's "Recalculating", it's got attitude!

Having said all that, I really like using mine whenever I need to go someplace I haven't been before; or I plan to get gas, food,...etc. on longer trips. In these situations, it's a real asset.

Raumas

onster
November 25th, 2008, 01:41 PM
My mom and I both have a Garmin GPS..cant remember which model.

I rather like it but like Raumas said, the voice can be annoying. Also I find that in Toronto it sometimes gets lost "recalculating" over and over. Seems like maybe all the high rises interfere? Also sometimes even when I do listen to it, and I am following instructions, it says recalculating anyway then gives me the exact same path. Oh and it takes a while to get its bearings when you turn it on - even after it calculates your route it wont straight away give you instructions - won't tell you to go left or right/straight. You have to get moving a bit first..which can lead me to take the wrong initial turn :o

K I just checked, I have the street pilot c330. I dunno if the issues I said are specifc to this model or not :shrug: Ive had it for quite a while so it is outdated for sure

Oh and like Raumas said, even though you may have it set for shortest time, it sometimes takes what I know is a longer route :shrug:.

In general though, it has always got me to my destination safely :thumbs up

I do like the GPSs that tell you to "take the next left" rather than "in 500 m turn left" "turn left!!!" (hahah it yells at u) - which my Garmin does. Cuz sometimes it dark, u cant really read the signs (maybe snow), and you are challenged in the guessing distances department.

onster
November 25th, 2008, 01:47 PM
k i jut realized i basically gave all cons..I mean I will give the Garmin this, I have been in and around the city, to neighbouring cities, montreal, brechin with the GPS and I am the person who doesnt know how to get to my friends house after I went there 5 times. Or I have to go the exact same route, cant start from a different starting point. So ya..have I appreciated it? Hell yes. Would I buy a Garmin again? hmm.............id really like one that told me to take the "next" left/right etc and that did actually go the shortest time....however it would depend on the price and other factors whether Id really go there. For now, I have gotten used to mine and will keep it until the next map update (which costs alot!!!! 100+)..at which point ill just get a new model.

Joeyjoejoe
November 25th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I like that the new Garmin models will speak the street names. The really top of the line models are so precise, it'll tell you what lane you are in!

We used a Garmin on my road trip from Toronto to Vancouver and worked well except when we were in the tall trees in Montana and Idaho (no signal).

Personally, I prefer TomTom. I think it is more user friendly.

onster
November 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM
ah thats good to know joeyjoe. I think I would still prefer take the "next" vs street names because sometimes signs arent clearly visible. Especially for a trucker that goes thru many cities, many different times, in the winter (snow on signs etc)...:shrug:

I rather like the TomTom too..my mom's friend has it. I was trying to remember the name :D She's old (shhhh dont say I said that) hahaha and it was much easier for me to explain to her how to use it. Also u can choose what voice you want :D:rolleyes:

want4rain
November 25th, 2008, 02:00 PM
im actually pretty familiar with using a GPS unit, those ladies on there yelling at you to TURN AROUND AND RESUME COURSE can be annoying.... and hopefully this one will be precise enough to know what lane youre in but my major concern is that Garmin is reputed to be the best TRUCKERS GPS. i want to know WHY. is there a 'trucker friendly' setting on it?? can you download different truck routes?? im not sure how this stuff works!!

-ashley

want4rain
November 25th, 2008, 02:02 PM
yeah we had talked abotu a Tomtom... its not OFF the list, its just not quite on it yet either. Dad has used one and said he liked it but all his trucker buddies say to get the Garmin for trucking, Tomtom for passenger cars. -shrugs- wish i had been a fly on the wall!!! either way $200 is a lot to spend if youre not SURE!

-ash

onster
November 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
ah i see wht u mean now w4r........onster exits thread slowly, lol. :crazy: Im sure ure dad will appreciate it a lot...gl!

want4rain
November 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
oh no no no!! you actually OWN a Garmin!!! thats the best ive gotten yet LOL!!

-ash

happycats
November 25th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I love the Blue tooth capability, especially with the new laws in Ontario,(no more cell phones while driving) we can answer calls through the GPS, it's a GREAT feature,. totally hands free, it even reads out your text messages :D

Diamondsmum
November 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
From what I see some models have a TRUCK setting route as compared to a car route

The Garmin C330 and C340 both have a "Truck" setting. The difference between the two is that the 340 speaks the actual street names while the 330 only tells you turn right or left at the next street.

The Garmin Nuvii does not have a "Truck" setting.

And yes the Truck setting is different than the car/motorcycle setting but it is not flawless.

It does send you down some posted streets but will almost never send you down an impossible street for a truck to go down.

This is from a Truck Forum (http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/electronic-connection/29851-garmin-gps-truck-routing-2.html)

want4rain
November 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
thats EXACTLY what im looking for!! i actually joined that forum this morning but havent gotten a response to my post yet. well that nixes getting the Nuvi... now am i total dolt or what... but on the Garmin website... im not seeing ANY units in the 'automotive' section with C-numbers other than in the discontinued section.

i suppose i shoudl give Garmin a call??? -sigh-

and i still gotta get a turkey!

i FEEL like a turkey....

-ashley

NoahGrey
November 25th, 2008, 02:45 PM
in Toronto it sometimes gets lost "recalculating" over and over. Seems like maybe all the high rises interfere?

I have a Garmin as well. I got it for work. I also get recalculating over again, but only when I am in parts that are new roads, subdivions, etc. Not all Garmins have the 2008-2009 downloads for new roads, etc in the system.

I know this because I was told that in some parts of the city, when i come to a new road, subdivision it says "recalculating" over and over again.

I like the Garmin, user friendly.

ACO22

Chris21711
November 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I love the Blue tooth capability, especially with the new laws in Ontario,(no more cell phones while driving) we can answer calls through the GPS, it's a GREAT feature,. totally hands free, it even reads out your text messages :D

Happycats I was looking on the future shop site and the model you have, they say it does not come with bluetooth. Now I am totally confused. :confused:

want4rain
November 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM
she was sending the specs for the one i want to get, which probably isnt the one she has. ;) Nuvii has a few different available.

-ashley

Chris21711
November 25th, 2008, 05:06 PM
OK my mistake. I have been looking at them on-line and now I am more confused than ever. Hopefully Happycats will post the model she has, so that I can check it out before going to the store otherwise the guy there will probably end up selling me a compass and I will think that I've bought the latest gadget :cool:

want4rain
November 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM
i talked to the Garmin guy and he said they stopped making 'truck routes' cause it wasnt all that different from the routes suggested for cars/motorcycles anyway AND (from what i understand) they also offer alternate routes.

what an exhausting search that ended with the service rep i shoulda called to begin with!! very helpful. :) i was only waiting for 5 or so minutes.

-ashley

happycats
November 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Happycats I was looking on the future shop site and the model you have, they say it does not come with bluetooth. Now I am totally confused. :confused:

Oh sorry :o those were the specs for the one W4F was looking at, we have the Nuvi 660,

Chris21711
November 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks Happycats, Future Shop isn't showing that one, or maybe they are and I can't find it :frustrated: One with Bluetooth would be good for her as she is on the road alot with her job.

I will carry on looking.

angeldogs
November 26th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure how it works with truck routes.i see alot of trucks with one and so of the newer ones come with GPS.I'm so used to using a map to get around.there must be a program or what ever they call it that won't put him on no truck routes.

Joeyjoejoe
November 26th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I just found out about this:

If anyone is looking for a Garmin Nuvi 250, it's on sale at newegg.ca.

There's a promo code that will drop the costs by another $10.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858108053&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA

I normally wouldn't promote stuff like this, but a $200+, well reviewed GPS for roughly $118 taxes and shipping in is a hot deal.

kathryn
November 27th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Dunno if this has been mentioned, but where I live the same model you are talking about is onsale at Walmart for $97. They keep advertising it over and over.

Joeyjoejoe
November 27th, 2008, 11:25 PM
In Canada, we don't get cheap prices like that. Especially, now that the Canadian dollar has dropped again.

Good luck to all the bargain hunters tomorrow!

Schwinn
November 29th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I got a Magellan Maestro at Best Buy for half price. I think most of them are pretty much the same as far as maps go. I forget the company, but almost all of them are by the same company that supplies Mapquest. As for the other features, in my mind, didn't justify the extra expense for something that pretty much does the same thing, albeit with more bells and whistles (bluetooth, changeable voices, etc.) I consider them nice haves, but not worth a few hundred extra. I was more worried about the screen size (ours is 4.3 inches, and it cost $159), the bigger the better.

That being said, if I was buying one today, I'd be looking at this (http://www.knightridergps.com/), just for the cool factor (no idea how good it is, but to hear KITT say "Good morning, Schwinn...", how freakin' cool is that?)