Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Two more foster pups

Kai'smom
November 25th, 2008, 03:13 AM

44646Hi there
Well an update for you guy's, two more foster pups arrived last night. Freedom is having lots of fun and got a bit growly in the beginning but soon settled down. One has mange but has had injections and treatment so its cleared, just the new hair to grow back in. They got through their first night without much crying.:sleepy: The previous foster home didnt look after them properly .... not enough people to check whats going on.... :sad: so they spent a week at the vets clinic and i fetched them last night. An hours drive each way, which ended in vomit all over my leather seats. The joy :laughing: and the smell :yell: but they are fine. I think one still has worms as the tummy is hard and swollen but they have been treated so i will just keep my eye on them. The boys are having a great time and its good fun and bonding for all of us. Young teenage boys lose the will to communicate with their parents, so its nice for all of us to roll around on the floor for a while together!!! Animals - the great leveller! Here are the pics for the adoption thats going out. Shame, one of them really looks like he's lived in garbage dump and the blankets are filthy - no wonder they ended up with mange. I will spruce them up and get them ready for new photo shoots for their prosepective new families.:fingerscr

clm
November 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Aren't they adorable. :cloud9: I think it's just wonderful that you're fostering these pups. You're going to have your hands full for sure, but how can you look at those beautiful little faces and not just melt.

Cindy

Love4himies
November 25th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Oh they are so cute :cloud9:. Wonderful thing you are doing to help these guys in the start of their lives :grouphug:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Bless you Kai'smom for what you are doing for these poor babies. :grouphug:
I think Freedom was just telling the newbies that he is king dog around you house. Don't forget that and we will get along fine. :rolleyes:

Kai - good job baby! :thumbs up ;)

hazelrunpack
November 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
They're adorable, Kai'smom! :cloud9: So nice of you to open your home to these little ones that need you so much! :grouphug:

bendyfoot
November 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I want the little mangey one:lovestruck:

Frenchy
November 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
omg they're adorable ! Good job on taking them :angel: :thumbs up

totallyhip
November 25th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Wow what good looking Pups! :lovestruck:
Thank you for all the good work that you do! I hope they find a great home:thumbs up

Kai'smom
November 26th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Dont know what you call them - tool shed maybe. They look like giant wooden dolls houses. One of the pups climbed under it last night (burrowed under a sand piece at the back). Talk about drama. It was like CSI trying to get her out. We stayed up till 11pm and eventually some meat brought her out. Needless to say we bricked up the gap. I was totally beside myself. All i kept thinking was - hell these people have entrusted these dogs to me and now ive gone and lost one. :eek: Three cheers for Freedom. As the pup was moving around under the wendy house, she was tracking her around the sides. So every time she moved Freedom would show us where she was and start scratching. What a clever dog. She got a nice marrow bone last night and licked her lips while the pups looked on:laughing: I cant give them yet as they try and kill each other to get each others food. It will take a while.
They slept beautifully again last night and i wiped them with a dip solution on their heads and paws with cotton wool for the mange. Quite a few scabs still :yell: but its much better. I gave more worm tablets as one's tummy is still massive Will keep you posted. What happened to my chilled calm life when all i worried about was a pedicure! Who am i :goodvibes:

mollywog
November 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM
good for you, for taking them in! :thumbs up Are they siblings? Their colouring is the same!
And I second Bendyfoot, I :lovestruck: adore the little mangy one! Look at his? her? ears with the little hairs sticking out top!! :cloud9:

Kai'smom
November 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Yeah they are siblings. Apparently they are collie/alsation cross. I dont think anyone really knows. Heinz 57 variety!
We have nicknamed the mangy one The Prof as he reminds me of a nutty professor i had at school! He looks like a mad cap scientist! Trying not to use proper names as they will be rehomed and the new families will want to give them their names.

ILoveOnyx
November 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Awwww they're just adorable!!! I'd love to take home the second one! I have a weak spot for the skinnier looking pups that need to get nice and plump :)

Tundra_Queen
November 28th, 2008, 02:01 AM
What a wonderful thing u are doing! They are sooooo adorable! I love the first one and the look on his face. :) Poor little things have had such a hard life already. Hope they find a very loving forever home.

Debbie

Brat
November 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
oh wow, they are so CUTE!!! You're awesome for doing this :)

Ielsrmf
November 28th, 2008, 03:02 PM

44646Hi there
One has mange but has had injections and treatment so its cleared, just the new hair to grow back in. r

What sweet pups, I'm sure they will have a home in no time. Just wanted to mention I know a person who's pup had mange, it doesn't go away overnight, it takes more than one treatment and it really depends on the type of mange.

Does the pup have scartopic or demodex mange? Is the mange all over the body or more around the face, front legs and chest?

These pups are very lucky to have you, good luck.

Dog Dancer
November 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Kai'smom - look at you go girl! You are so wonderful to be caring for these pups. It's great that the side benefit is the kids being involved. Bless you for all you do.

The first pup is sooooo adorable, but I have to agree with the others, I probably take the second one. Heck who am I kidding, I'd take them both...

Kai'smom
December 2nd, 2008, 05:38 AM
They have the mange that is only on face, chest and front paws. I keep for getting which is which. They are on imovac and getting dipped. I freaked out on Sunday as after i dipped them the boy who is the worst mange wise was so floppy. Thats the only way i could describe it. He went to lay in the sun to finish drying off and when i stroked him and picked up his paw it just flopped back down. The side effects of the dip did say may lead to drowsiness/sleepiness, but patient will come around on his own. It was horrible. I felt so bad. So.. im not using it anymore. It cant be good for them. I will just see the imovac through and keep applying the hair regrowth oil. (mind you the oil didnt work on my husband .....:laughing: so fat chance for the pups hahah)

diandpat
December 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, that does sound like a severe reaction for such a frail little pup. Hopefully the Imovac alone will be enough to get them healthy.

I don't know anything about mange so I can't offer any advice but :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up for helping these little ones and for teaching your children such a valuable lesson in humanity. It's a win/win.
:goodvibes:

CaptainOlimar
December 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Kai'smom, you are awesome!!! :angel: And those pups are adorable!

Kai'smom
December 3rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
My neighbour is complaining about the one pup who keeps barking. He isnt barking for no reason, he barks at his sister or Freedom to come play - or if they have something to chew on and he doesnt he just sits there and barks. He goes on and on and on till he is distracted. He isnt barking through the night though, he is very good and sleeps all night. All three of them curled up together on Kai's big cushion.
I was really nice to him (the neighbour), killed him with kindness and explained that they are rescues from the townships and needed time to settle etc etc. But he was not a happy chappy and f'd and c'd at me. I have a full time aupair at home for the boys and the house, so the dogs are never alone, which is one of the reasons i think they asked me to take them. He said if it doesnt stop he will call law enforcement. This is when i hate it when my husband is working away, as he would never have spoken to me the way he did if my man was there. What i did do was i went to the law enforcement this morning and told them who i was, told them about the pups and told them that he was verbally abusive to me, batted my lashes, said im home all alone and im scared of him. The station commander said dont you worry honey, if he does come in, we will tell your neighbour that you have already discussed it with us and he should refrain from coming to your door and being antagonistic or abusive (big word for a cop!) Pays to bat your eyelashes now and again :laughing: It at least will buy us time till we find them a home.
Any ideas to stop him barking :laughing:

Love4himies
December 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
I don't have any ideas to stop the pup from barking but would like to say: good for you for beating the :loser: to the punch :thumbs up