Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Victory for Ottawa Arborteum Users!

Melanie1010
November 24th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hello Everyone!

For those in Ottawa (and surroundings) I thought this article would be of interest. The NCC and the City of Ottawa have announced they will be charging fines to dog owners who allow their dogs to run off leash on the NCC owned property at the Arboretum (A large piece of land in the Experimental Farm designated as On-Leash)

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2008/11/24/ot-dog-081124.html

Now I know I may be opening a can of worms posting this for those who believe dogs should be allowed off leash in park type areas, but we go and walk here often (as Beaglemum can tell you) we have had SEVERAL horrible experiences, the last one resulting in almost having to rush one of our dogs to the vet after being attacked (the other dog drew blood from a bite wound). Over the last year, my dog Nitro, Philly a friends dog and others we walk with have been rushed at by off leash dogs, which then creates a disaster since our dogs are all on leash and wanting to play/protect depending on how these dogs run at them. Nitro has been attacked by a dog, with no injuries as I was able to grab the other dogs collar and Philly has been bitten a couple of times as well. I have seen a biker taken clean off his bike by a dog trying to bite his tire!!!

What I find even more disturbing is the people who will break the rules ANYWAYS! (like the lady in the article!?) I dont see why good owners like us who poop/scoop, keep our dogs on leash where designated, get off the paths for bikers ect. ect. get a bad wrap from those who let their dogs chase bikers, disrupt picnics, go and say hi to people who may have young children and these "bad" owners are the ones throwing a huge fit. There are a few off leash (while not great) off leash parks in Ottawa, and I never take my dog there because he is not able to go off leash. I respect that there are off leash areas, just as there are on leash areas.

I truely believe there needs to be a balance, and I am not saying all off leash dogs are bad, but that there is a time and a place to enjoy a good walk with your dog! If you have a well balanced, socialble and well trained dog, I still think people should obey the rules, as they are in place to ensure the safety and enjoyment of everyone! I know I havent been back to the Arboretum since the last time our dogs were attacked and the ensuing shouting match. Im sure if it had been their dogs and the shoe was on the other foot, more owners would understand that dog ownership isnt a free for all!

mehere
November 25th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I fully agree with op,,I have been chased and attacked when biking,running,walking through the farm.I,ve witnessed dog fights,owners setting their dogs after wildlife.It is a historic area,a agriculture test area,it has a nature conservation area etc.Many people avoid the area due to the dogs and bad dog owners.It should be treated and respected for what it is a historic treasure and place for PEOPLE to relax and enjoy green space,not a dog toilet.