Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yikes, Zowie! Captured again!!

14+kitties
November 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
As most of you know I keep the live trap baited all the time to catch any strays that wander around here. This little fella wants to become one of mine too I think. This is somewhere around 4 or 5 times he's been caught. :eek: Guess he likes the food.

14+kitties
November 24th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Was trying to get him to show his teefies in this one but he didn't cooperate.

Love4himies
November 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Is that a raccoon? :eek:

Is it the pic or is it missing his "mask" on his face?

The raccoons are always eating the cat food I put out for the strays :frustrated: :mad: :sad:

Chris21711
November 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
They say that Possums make good family pets 14k :rolleyes:

14+kitties
No, it's a possum L4H.

bendyfoot
Iz a possum, no?

14+kitties
November 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM

:laughing::laughing::laughing: Ummmm, no!

Love4himies
November 24th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I need to get a trap for the kitties here (two have been seen in the last few months), but they don't come close to the house so we would have to put the trap at the edge of the woods. I would be so worried about the animals freezing at night now that it is so cold, as we wouldn't know when the trap was set off until morning. What do you do?

AmericanBullMom
November 24th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Possums are usually mean! They hiss more than cats!
But he doesnt look to grumpy!

I had a teeny tiney baby possum on my front porch a few weeks ago. I was rather worried, because I was just SURE momma possum would be close by, and not happy that I was taking pictures of her baby!

Maybe he's hoping you'll mistake him for a stray and take him inside where its warmies! Lol

Love4himies
November 24th, 2008, 09:38 AM
No, it's a possum L4H.

:eek: a possum :o I have never seen one before.

Bendyfoot: do they have them here in our neck of the woods?

bendyfoot
November 24th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Yup, never seen one tho....they've only been in Eastern ontario for a few decades, they're really a southeastern US critter (it's the Virginia Possum) that's done some crazy zone-expanding in the last little while...

14+kitties
November 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
They supposedly hitched rides with the trucks coming up to Niagara area to pick up grapes. At least that's the story I was told. :shrug: They are quite bold around the wineries. You always see them in among the rows of grapes.
Cute little beggars. Just kinda like my fingers the way they are. :rolleyes:

L4H - lately my trap has been set in the small greenhouse cause I knew something was eating Stormy's food. Thought it was another kitty.
When it is outside I cover it with 2 tarps, an old blanket, and another tarp. If there are loose branches around I use them too for a cover and camoflauge (sp). I put it in as sheltered area as possible and check it two or three times a day. Once very first thing in the morning. So far the cold weather hasn't yielded any new ones. I hope it keeps up that way.

Should add it hasn't yielded any new ones this winter. It did last winter/spring.

krdahmer
November 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Aw s/he's a cutie!:lovestruck: I've heard that armadillos are on the move north too... takes a while but as they adapt to the climate they make their way further and further north... just like the possums. Or maybe they know something we don't know and this is the place to be!:shrug:

14+kitties
November 24th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I've heard that armadillos are on the move north too... takes a while but as they adapt to the climate they make their way further and further north... just like the possums. Or maybe they know something we don't know and this is the place to be!:shrug:

:laughing::laughing: Maybe! :thumbs up

Love4himies
November 24th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Aw s/he's a cutie!:lovestruck: I've heard that armadillos are on the move north too... takes a while but as they adapt to the climate they make their way further and further north... just like the possums. Or maybe they know something we don't know and this is the place to be!:shrug:

:laughing::thumbs up

clm
November 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
They love catfood. I've had them around here for years. They'll munch on the seeds under the bird feeders too. I've seen them around here in all kinds of weather, don't seem to hibernate.

Cindy

onster
November 24th, 2008, 07:35 PM
awwww he's a cutie actually :lovestruck::D

jiorji
November 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM
awww he's so cute!

hazelrunpack
November 24th, 2008, 09:35 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Ummmm, no!

I gotta agree, 14+! Possums have more teeth than any other north american mammal and they know how to use them! :eek: They really do pull a nice hissy fit when you get on their bad side. :laughing:

We have lots of possums in WI. They are actually the only marsupial to really make a go of it in north america. Has something to do with all those teeth and how pugnacious they can be when their first 'play dead' strategy fails, I think. :o

I've heard that as they expand northward, frostbite becomes more and more of a problem for them--and since they need that prehensile tail and the use of their fingers and toes to climb, I 'spect they're probably at about their northern limit now--at least unless the climate continues to warm.

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Yep, they don't seem to be much further North than your area. My old hometown is three hours north of here. We had them there too. Don't think I ever saw any when I lived in Thunder Bay though.

He was released a little further back in the bush this time. I can't have him eating all the cat food. :rolleyes:

Frenchy
November 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM

:laughing: Chris !!! :eek:

ewwwwwwwwww , looks like a big rat , I still can't believe you guys have them so near Quebec , keep them will you ? :yuck:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM
:laughing: Chris !!! :eek:

ewwwwwwwwww , looks like a big rat , I still can't believe you guys have them so near Quebec , keep them will you ? :yuck:

I have at least one more. Sure you don't want me to send it on to you Frenchy? :p:D

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
you're a brave woman 14+ those things are nasty, i'd be afraid to open the cage to let it out.:eek:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I didn't let this last one go. My hubby took him back to the middle of the bush and let him go there. I am hoping it's far enough back he will not come back up. :fingerscr I am pretty sure there is another one. They are kind of cute watching them waddle away but you are right. Nasty!!

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 09:30 PM
:eek: they aren't cute,:yuck: one came out from under the car in mississauga and scared the crap out of my ex. i had no idea they were this far in.

Frenchy
November 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I have at least one more. Sure you don't want me to send it on to you Frenchy? :p:D

Maybe I could breed them and sell them on kiji** ? :lightbulb:

:cool:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Maybe I could breed them and sell them on kiji** ? :lightbulb:

:cool:

:laughing::laughing:
But then we'd have to go :wall::wall::wall: to you!! :eek:

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
but she could say she's a reputable breeder.:thumbs up

Frenchy
November 25th, 2008, 09:48 PM
but she could say she's a reputable breeder.:thumbs up

:laughing: :thumbs up :laughing:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Frenchy, O'possum breeder extraordinaire! You'll make millions!!! :rolleyes:

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 09:54 PM
we need a designer name for it now.

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 09:56 PM
we need a designer name for it now.

Frenossum? Frenchy/possum combo No, too common. Has to be very special! After all, Frenchy is "designing" them. :D

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM
i was thinking more ummm frenchrat.:D

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
That's perfect!!! Knowing Frenchy's "love" of the rodent variety.

hazelrunpack
November 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
If you cross bred them with cats they could be pussyms :cool:

Frenchy
November 25th, 2008, 10:00 PM
i was thinking more ummm frenchrat.:D

:laughing:

you're laughing now girls but in a couple of months , I will be RICH I say , RICH :mwaha:

aslan
November 25th, 2008, 10:01 PM

:laugh::laugh::eeew: poor kitty having to do the deed.

Frenchy
November 25th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Now now Hazel , you just wide open a door for aslan to make naughty jokes :laughing:

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 10:02 PM
K, so I will ship them out to you tomorrow?

Hazel!!! I am shocked!! Crossbreeding?? More designer rats? I mean cats? I mean crats??? But I love the name!!

hazelrunpack
November 25th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Now now Hazel , you just wide open a door for aslan to make naughty jokes :laughing:
Oh...ya...:o...I see what ya mean! :laughing:

aslan was very good :angel:

hazelrunpack
November 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
K, so I will ship them out to you tomorrow?

Hazel!!! I am shocked!! Crossbreeding?? More designer rats? I mean cats? I mean crats??? But I love the name!!
I'm just trying to better the breeds :angel:

:p

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Better the breed? Did you want a non biting possum? Or a longer snouted cat? We need to keep the whiskers. Don't like the possum tail but then they need that part for clinging on to things. I would like one that purrs. :D

hazelrunpack
November 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Definitely has to have fewer teeth and definitely has to purr :thumbs up Yeah, I like the whiskers, too, and the tail and pouch will be handy for when they're used as fashion accessories--a pussym purse hangs on to your shoulder all by itself...good for coins, cell phones, and other smallish items :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 25th, 2008, 10:20 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing: Yeah, I think it's way past my bed time. :rolleyes: When you are trying to figure out the best features of two different breeds to mesh together......... Oh yeah, I guess that's what the designer cretians do, isn't it?

aslan
November 26th, 2008, 08:28 AM
oh my heavens and you ladies worry about what i'm gonna say, the pussyms has to do the kneading thing with it paws/hands too. hmmm hands it could give a back rub.

growler~GateKeeper
November 26th, 2008, 10:14 PM
awww :lovestruck: cute lil' possum :lovestruck:

Brandykins
November 30th, 2008, 07:47 PM
First time I have ever seen one of those - he is a right wee cracker. Love his face!! Lovely photos, 14+ Kitties, love the 3rd one:)

14+kitties
November 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
First time I have ever seen one of those - he is a right wee cracker. Love his face!! Lovely photos, 14+ Kitties, love the 3rd one:)

:laughing::laughing: Thanks Brandykins! He's a right wee cracker till he gets hold of your fingers (no, didn't happen) and then you call him lots of things. Right wee cracker isn't among them. :rolleyes:

aslan
November 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
:laughing::laughing: Thanks Brandykins! He's a right wee cracker till he gets hold of your fingers (no, didn't happen) and then you call him lots of things. Right wee cracker isn't among them. :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:you're on a funny roll this weekend.

14+kitties
December 1st, 2008, 05:24 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:you're on a funny roll this weekend.

:o:p I try :shrug:

chico2
December 1st, 2008, 08:01 AM
Aww I got Possums too,they are adorable,I even think I got a pic....gotta check,here he is,eating peanuts on my deck:lovestruck:
They only get nasty if cornered and that's not really nasty,just selfdefence,they are funny and adorable looking,come on girls,just look at those little feetsies:lovestruck: