Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training Woes

moontamara
July 25th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Okay, so I've got a little crate type house (a kennel cab) that is Casey's bed and also a place to contain him at night. In addition to that, he's got a fairly big wire crate that he is confined in when no one is home, with the kennel cab inside, as well as a potty tray (lined with newspaper). Okay...

I thought he was 100% when he pees (on the tray or outside), but when he pulls his pillow out of his kennel cab to wrestle with it, he sometimes pees on it!! I don't know why. I've taken the pillow away for now. But why would he do that? It's part of his bedding at night, and it's also his wrestling toy... WHY????

Also, he usually poops on the tray, or at least tries to (he sometimes walks out of it in the effort which I feel is understandable!) but twice now he has gone partly on the tray and then hopped up on his kennel cab and finished the job up there!!! What the??? I can't figure out what he's thinking? One time it just happened and I didn't witness it, but today he was confined because I was on my way out the door. Do you think he was mad at me?

I know that it would be preferable if he did all his business outside, and we are working towards that, but it wasn't possible to train him like that due to his health and excessive rainy weather. Also, there are a lot of stairs involved :o

I'm not overly discouraged because he gets most stuff right, but I'm not sure how to handle these little quirks.

If anyone could offer advice I'd be very grateful!!! :)

glasslass
July 25th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I don't have a clue why he is doing this. :confused: Anybody? :confused:

moontamara
July 26th, 2004, 12:49 AM
AHHH! There were traces of poop on top of his kennel cab again today! What's going on?

Writing4Fun
July 29th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Maybe he's confused? I'm no pro by any stretch, but I didn't think dogs liked to soil any area they're confined to. Unless this larger kennel is like one of those outdoor jobs (the size of a small-ish yard), it may be that he's thinking it's just an extension of his sleeping quarters, and that you are telling him it's ok to do his stuff where he sleeps. Just a guess...

moontamara
July 29th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Well, I think he has stopped that now... Anyway, the crate is big enough for him to have a potty area in it, because he's just a little poodle. He doesn't soil his kennel cab, just on top if it a couple of times. Actually, he hops onto his kennel cab when he is frustrated -- like if I put him in his crate before I leave, and then get delayed by something and don't leave for awhile, he hops on his kennel cab. Maybe he get frustrated when he's trying to poop too... I don't know what's up with the peeing on the pillow, but I've just taken that away completely for now. It's too hot at night for that much bedding these days anyway. But thanks for the help!