Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kiska's wellness exam

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM
It was Kiska's turn at her wellness exam. She did well when we went and luckily hasn't picked up big brother Vlad's distaste for vet visits.

They had a bit of a time getting blood from her because she kept moving. Also, they couldn't get a fecal sample on her, so I literally had to follow her around for 2 days to see if she would do #2 so at least I'd know it was hers.

The vet called me this morning and told me her tests came back good, but she had something we need to watch. There's something in her liver that's elevated. She said the normal range is 80-120, and hers was 122. Not high, but she said we should get her back in in about a month to test her again and make sure it wasn't getting any higher.

She suggested I give her some Denamarin for a month, and that would help. Also we should watch her for the next few months after that as well. I'm going to do what I can to make sure she doesn't develop some greater issue. She's an active little cat, and she's got a healthy appetite. The vet told me I didn't need to worry a lot right now, because it would also be she just had it elevated that particular day and she's find otherwise. I hope she's right. I know I'll be stressing out over this until her next appointment.

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
I hate anomalous test results. :frustrated: It's one of the reasons my nails are so short :o

But often they just go away with time, especially is such a young and vibrant girl! :cat:

:goodvibes: that it's just a fluke! :fingerscr

ancientgirl
November 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Yes, I'm hoping it was just some fluke. She turned 1 in August so she's still a young kitty. I picked up the vitamins and hopefully that will be all she needs. I'll have her tested in about a month. If she's okay I'll ask the vet if she should be tested again in another couple of months, without the vitamins.

Lise
November 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
After years of living with senior dogs,hypothyroid dogs,PRA dogs,dogs with cataracts every vet visit is a new adventure!!!

krdahmer
November 24th, 2008, 11:55 AM
:fingerscr it was just a fluke! :goodvibes:

AmericanBullMom
November 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Ancientgirl by any chance is your vet at a Banfield pet Hospital? Like the ones in Petsmart.

ancientgirl
November 24th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Kr, thanks. I'm hoping after a month on these vitamins she'll be okay and it was just a fluke. She was such a good girl taking her pill. I sandwiched it between two soft treats and she ate it up with no problem.:lovestruck: Of course I had to give the others treats too. :laughing: I had to wait about 20 minutes before feeding them all, because I have to give her the pill on an empty stomach, then wait 20 to 30 minutes. So, the others had to wait for breakfast.

ABM, no the place I go to is called Knowles Animal Clinic. There are two here in South Florida. I like this place because not only is the staff very nice but the gangs vet is phenomenal, and it is also an emergency clinic open 24/7/365.