Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Dogs and Puppies of the Vancouver SPCA

Pages : [1] 2

Scuba
November 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
Hello everyone!

This is going to be my new thread on the Vancouver SPCA canines. The format is going to be a little different than the one that I had in the photo section. In this one, there won't be any pictures. I will however provide a link to either the SPCA website or Petfinder.org page where you can look at the dog or puppy profile yourself. Often time there will be a picture on there.

Hope everyone will continue to enjoy reading about my time spent walking the dogs!

Scuba

Scuba
November 22nd, 2008, 01:40 AM
The weather was kind of wet, cold and windy tonight. I had loads of time this afternoon so I stopped by this coffee place on Broadway to grab something to eat. I have never been to that coffee place before, and the only reason that I went in was because they had a hand written sign up saying that they had cinnamon rolls. I am so glad that I went in and had one, it was super tasty and I needed all those fat, sugar and dough on my walks tonight.

I was one of the first volunteers to arrive at the SPCA tonight and the coordinator let me have my pick of dogs to take out first. All of them looked like fun but in the end I decided on a 11 month old girl named Rover. The info on her kennel says that she is a GSD cross, I am not sure but who cares. She was so sweet and easy going. When we first went out, she was a little too excited and wanting to dash this way and that way. But once we got into our stride, she was pretty easy to walk. I could get her to sit and wait at all the intersections so she has good obedience. I didn't try anything fancy though considering what the weather was like tonight.

Half way through our walk, Rover wanted to check out something by the curb. I was wondering what got her attention like that, turned out to be this smashed up pumpkin (pretty big). She actually was a little too happy about finding the pumpkin than I was comfortable with. For one thing I didn't want her to get into any of it and eat some, considering that Halloween was three weeks ago. She was a little reluctant when I gently pulled her away to continue or walk.

About five minutes later as we were walking down a sidewalk, this leaf blows of a tree in front of us and gets blown down the pavement away from us. Rover sees it and wants to chase after it, when we do catch up to it however Rover realises that it is just a yellow leaf and gets disinterested right away. The funniest thing was the look she gave me, she turns and looks up at me all dopey. It was like she was trying to say "What, it was just a leaf!".

Then it was back to the shelter for us. She was all wet, but I got a towel and dried her off. Only thing was the silly girl wouldn't hold still for me and all the while that I am attempting to towel her off, she is trying to wash my face for me (maybe I had some cinnamon bun filling stuck to my face?).

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=80827&result=4

Scuba
November 22nd, 2008, 02:01 AM
After I was done with Rover there was only my old buddy Brewster left who hadn't have a chance to go out yet. But we took care of that right away. Since other volunteers were heading back in with dogs already. The coordinator of tonight and I decided that I could just take Brewster out for the whole hour.

Brewster was pretty excited going out the gate. Had a pretty good pee within the first couple of blocks. Then Brewster was happy to start sniffing stuff. This silly boy tried to do the whole, I am sad I don't want to walk thing on me again about 15 minutes into our walk. He would stand there and won't move all the while giving you these pathetic looks.

Too bad for him that I wasn't going to play the sucker tonight, I had fell for this trick one too many times. I used to to do some sit and paw type commands and give him a treat to get him going again. But tonight I just short leashed him and said "Walk". Brewster got on board with the program pretty fast, so he is just a little too smart for his own good.

Since with the wet, cold and generally miserable weather, there were not a lot of people out and about. Not a lot to distract Brewster and he was pretty good tonight on the "sit and wait" before crossing the streets for me tonight. Since we had gotten into a comfortable rhythm for our walk, Brewster caught me off guard with a sudden bout of zoomies as we were cutting across a park. But like on Monday, he could only zoom off for six feet before he had to take off in another direction. My right arm got another good work out tonight.

After he had calmed down and walked for a bit, Brewster was good enough to do a big old number two for me. I had forgotten to bring gloves tonight and I hadn't realise how numb my hands had gone with the rain and cold until I was trying to pull some baggies out of my jacket pocket. Then I had to be really careful whilst doing the deed since I didn't want to puncture or rip the bags. Then I had to tie a knot and that was a struggle. Brewster was good enough to wait for me tonight though, I just he had burnt up a lot of energy by then.

When we got back to the shelter after out fairly long walk, Brewster couldn't wait to get back into his own kennel. At least I knew there was nothing wrong with him when I went to dry him off with a towel. Since he wouldn't hold still for me, silly guy kept wiggling around or trying to climb into my lap!

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=74443&result=7

growler~GateKeeper
November 22nd, 2008, 03:16 AM
I went in was because they had a hand written sign up saying that they had cinnamon rolls. I am so glad that I went in and had one, it was super tasty and I needed all those fat, sugar and dough on my walks tonight.

11 month old girl named Rover. The info on her kennel says that she is a GSD cross, I am not sure but who cares.

mmmmmm cinnamon rolls yummy :D

I see way more Rottie than GSD :D in that cutie pie :lovestruck:

Brewster sounds like a fun dog to walk :D

hazelrunpack
November 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
You think Brewster decided it was too wet and that was why he balked at first? :D Our dogs do that on rainy days. They'd much rather sit inside and get toweled off and cuddled than subject their pristine fur to the rigors and insults of raindrops :laughing:

TeriM
November 23rd, 2008, 01:23 AM
I couldn't see Rover but Brewster looks like a big, sweet bundle of energy :lovestruck:.

Scuba
November 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM
I couldn't see Rover but Brewster looks like a big, sweet bundle of energy :lovestruck:.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that if any of the dogs or puppies get adopted, fostered or if they have to go to the hospital or into ISO for any reason then their information normally gets pulled.

Scuba
November 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Tonight I was right on time, first dog that I took out was Brewster. Such a clown, he couldn't wait to get outside. But was really calm and good for the coordinator tonight for putting on his leash and halti. He sat still and didn't move whilst all the straps were being adjusted and everything. Then once we were out the gate, he wanted to take off in six different directions all at the same time.

We only had a 30 minute walk before Brewster was balking. Since he didn't want to walk further and I was kind of tired today, I just took him straight back to the kennel. On our walk, there weren't any issues. Brewster was fairly good until the end when he got a little pig headed and didn't want to walk more.

For his profile, look to previous post.^^

Scuba
November 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Next up was a Golden Retriever cross, she is three years old. Her name is Chia, and other than that, I don't know much about her. She was really timid and shy. Knows quite a few basic commands, whether she will do them for you is a whole different matter.:D

Chia like to pull a little on leash, but it was nothing that is unmanageable. She won't stop by herself at street corners but if you short leash her and ask her to wait, she will listen. I had a 50/50 chance of getting her to sit for me before we crossed the street. Considering that I didn't use any treats I thought it was pretty good.

At first I thought she was a puppy due to her petite stature. She is just adorable and really sweet. Only thing was that, the first couple of times on our walk, when I went to pet her, she would go all submissive on me and lay down. Chia did catch on pretty quick that I was just going to give her ears a scratch.

There isn't a profile of her up yet, as soon as one is available I will post it.

Scuba
November 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Since I had some more time, I took Brewster out again. This time he was really calm and no trouble at all on our walk. We didn't have much time however and this walk was only about 25 minutes long. At the end of his walk, we encountered a skunk on the sidewalk on the way back to the shelter. Brewster was pretty keen to go make friends (he wasn't lunging or pulling like he wanted to chase it, he only wanted to get closer to figure out what it was). My feeling was that Mr. Skunk probably wouldn't want to make friends so I held Brewster back and gave him plenty of space to do his thing. In the end, the skunk wandered off into a yard that had its gate open and I just took Brewster back to his kennel.

Then Brewster wanted to show off his new stuffie to me, it was this big orange thing (I never did manage to figure out what it was, I think it was a monkey!?).

growler~GateKeeper
November 25th, 2008, 03:16 AM
Aww Brewster's gotta a stuffie :cloud9:

Love4himies
November 25th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I couldn't see Rover. Brewster looks like a real love bug :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
November 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Oy!! Glad you managed to discourage the skunk tete-a-tete! :eek:

Scuba
November 29th, 2008, 02:59 AM
The links that I provide that have profiles of the dogs will not work once they get adopted, fostered, if they go into the hospital or into ISO.

My buddy Chance got adopted, I am so happy and sad.

On Monday evening I walked a dog named Chia, there wasn't a profile for her then but now there is on available.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=81110&result=6

Scuba
November 29th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I got to the SPCA shelter with time to spare today. Also, I finally went and spent $90 on a pair of rain pants so that I don't get my trousers soaked when it rains. My shoes and socks were still pretty soggy by the end of the evening though, so I need to invest in a good pair of water proof boots next. That and some water proof gloves.

First dog for me to walk tonight was Frank, he is an Australian shepherd cross male, no age given for him. He is mostly brown with a little bit of white on his chest. He was really patient whilst getting his collar and leash put on him by the coordinator. Then once we were out the gate, he was off like an arrow. I tried to get him to sit for me before we crossed the streets but it wasn't working tonight. I had some treats on me but I totally forgot about them so I didn't use any tonight. Maybe next time with some incentives we will have better luck at the obedience training. Frank likes to pull a little on leash but nothing crazy or unmanageable.

Here is his profile.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=77915&result=1

I was using a LED light strap with Frank tonight, I put it around his neck like a collar so that he would be more visible to cars at night. I got it at Mountain Equipment Co-op. It works quite well and I am really happy with it and Frank didn't have any problems with me putting it around his neck.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 7693&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302692895&bmUID=1227946359503

Scuba
November 29th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Next dog that I walked was a girl named Sadie, she is five years old and is a GSD and BC cross. I used the same LED strap around her neck and she didn't have any issues with it either. Sadie is pretty sweet, has good obedience training. Whenever I asked her to sit and wait for me before we crossed a street she would do it for me no problem. She also walks well on leash, no pulling at all. Sadie was just interested in sniffing stuff on our walk. I kept the walk to about 35 minutes because there is a dog in ISO and I was planning to head over there to walk Lanesy in ISO. But when I got back to the shelter, there was another volunteer that was just about to go and take Lanesy out so I just took Sadie for another walk. This time we stayed out for 45 minutes.

Sadie got pretty interested in this big blue ceramic flower pot on our walk. It was laying on the sidewalk but it was smashed up and there were pieces everywhere and I didn't want Sadie to accidentally cut her pads so I kept her away. She was dead keen on wanting to go and sniff it, except that I didn't let her. Silly girl kept shaking herself on our walk, it was raining quite a bit but doesn't she know that she is just going to get wet right away again.:D

When we got back, I did dry her off properly with a towel.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82335&result=4

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I can't download from the LED strap link...I'm curious--is it big enough to use like a collar around her neck or do you just loop it through and secure it around the collar?

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Oh, never mind. :o I just read your product review--sounds like it's large enough to use as a collar, at least on a medium-sized or small dog, anyway. :D Sounds like a great safety feature!!

growler~GateKeeper
November 30th, 2008, 02:15 AM
That's wonderful news for Chance :highfive: one dog that definately needs people :D

Scuba
December 2nd, 2008, 12:47 AM
The weather was wet and depressing today but I finally came up with a solution to my soggy gloves. I was looking for some waterproof gloves that would keep my hands dry and warm. The problem was that they were all $30-40. My solution was to use the existing fleece gloves that I have and think rubber gloves, the ones that people use to wash up dishes and clean with. I just put on my gloves as usual then slip the rubber gloves over them. Cheap solution that works, my hands were toasty warm and dry.

Just got to figure something out for footwear.

First dog that I walked was my buddy Brewster, he was being a silly boy at first again because of the rain. He was balking quite a few time during the first 20 minutes of our walk. Once he caught on however that we weren't just going out to the bathroom and running back to the shelter he reluctantly walked with me. Brewster has come a long way with his leash manners lately. Tonight he was heeling beside me and waiting quite a few times just before crossing a street all by himself. No prompting or verbal commands from me at all.

He was trying to be tricky though, kept wanting to turn us back towards the direction of the shelter. Caught me off guards with a quick bout of zoomies as well at one of the parks near the shelter. When we finally turned to start back towards the shelter, he was dead keen on walking then.:rolleyes:

Silly guy kept trying to drink water out of the gutters as well during the walk.:yuck: I figured he was thirsty so I took him to one of the few parks that has a drinking fountain, well I got the water going for him and he just stood there looking at me and didn't want to drink.

I also had the LED strap light around Brewster neck tonight and he had no problems with me putting it on him and it stayed put during the whole walk and worked with no problem in the rain.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=74443&result=8
Brewster's profile

Scuba
December 2nd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Next up was Copper, he was really easy to walk. Didn't pull on the leash at all, just wanted to take his time and sniff stuff. He was really good to sit still for me and let me put the LED light strap around his neck as well.

Other than the constant rain, our walk was pretty uneventful. Only interesting thing to happen was that we encountered a raccoon halfway through. It was a pretty big raccoon and I would think that it would be a full grown male just due to its size. It was easily as big as Copper if not bigger. At first when we came up to it, I thought it was a big long haired tom cat in somebody's yard. Luckily for Copper and me, there was a wrought iron fence between the raccoon and us. The big raccoon and Copper just stood and eyeballed each other for a bit. Then Copper got bored and we moved on, when I looked back the raccoon was still in the same spot for bit before it too turned and ambled away.

It is pretty funny to watch Copper walking, he has his head down all the time sniffing things. But his tail sticks straight up and wags side to side, like the needle on a metronome.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=78548&result=2
Copper's profile

Scuba
December 2nd, 2008, 01:09 AM
After I got back with Copper and placed him back in his kennel and dried him off. Beckum came back to the shelter with his volunteer. I just had to say hello to him. I hadn't walked him since his time spent in ISO. Since there was still some time left I asked the coordinator if I could take the big fellow out for a short walk. I got the "OK" and we were off. In the end we only managed a 20 minutes walk but it was nice. I still can't get Beckum to sit for me but we will keep working on that.:D

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=78103&result=9
Beckum

growler~GateKeeper
December 12th, 2008, 02:41 AM
Brewster & Coppers' links aren't working anymore so :fingerscr here's hoping that they both got adopted.

Raccoons are funny creatures :lovestruck:, good thing that one didn't give you or Copper any trouble.

Scuba
December 13th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Finally had a chance to go to the SPCA again, just been really busy and not feeling very well lately.

Brewster - Last I heard, he is being fostered by a rescue at the moment. They have loads of space and stuff for him to run around, sounds like an awsome place.

Copper - I am not sure about him, but I will endeavor to find out on Monday.

Scuba
December 13th, 2008, 10:23 AM
First dog that I walked was a GSD, unfortunately I don't know what his name is. There isn't a lot of info on the guy. There isn't much online either.

I was just glad that I finally got myself a pair of wellingtons, this GSD lad took me through some pretty muddy and wet stuff. Last night it was raining pretty hard, it did slow down by the end of the evening though. This boy was so easy to walk, no issues what so ever.

As soon as there is more on this boy I will post some more on him.

Scuba
December 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Second dog was my old buddy Beckum, he was so excited to go out. Wouldn't sit still for the staff member who was coordinating put a harness on him.:crazy:

Once we were outside, walking him was a breeze. I am so glad that I bring a headlamp along with me. When Beckum decided to do his number two, it was amongst a lot of pine cones. If I didn't have some light to see what I was doing, I would have been picking up all kinds of stuff.:eek:

Beckum did nose his way under a bush and eat a part of a bird carcass unfortunately. I only managed to get a bit of a wing away from him. They rest was just "crunch crunch", it was pretty loud (to me anyway) hearing him munching away. I kept trying to reach into his mouth, but Beckum just kept turning and squirming away from me. Then not half a block away, he dives into another bush and pulls out a white plastic bag full of something (one of those supermarket white plastic bags), I didn't open it up to see what it was. This time I was ready for the big guy and managed to keep Beckum from getting into the thing.

Then it was back home to the SPCA for him. At least I know that all the boys and girls get dewormed every other week so Beckum is going to be ok.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=78103&result=7

Scuba
December 13th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Next up was a girl, her name is Roxy. She is about 2 or 3 years old and is a whippet cross with something!?

She was pretty excited to get outside, her kennel is right next to Beckum's and when I went out with Roxy, he started barking up a storm. She is very pretty and petite. Since it was still raining quite a fair bit, I didn't try any obedience stuff with her at all. Just a quick walk and back.

Roxy kept wanting to go and check out the newly renovated bit of the Vancouver community college (VCC), there was a couple of breaks in the fence that construction companies put up around a site and she kept wanting to go.:shrug: No idea what was so interesting and captivating for her.

Roxy, did stand up and look over a waist high fence of a yard on the way back to the shelter. Something really caught her attention, I never did manage to find out what it was.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82103&result=1

Scuba
December 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Finally I took a puppy out, his name is Tommy, he is about 6 months old. He is a Lab x GSD. I don't really know much about him. Since it was my first time meeting him, he was really timid at first.

When we started our walk, he had his tail tucked right in between his legs and his ears were tucked back flat as well. Once we got going he did realise that I wasn't a bad guy and did relax a little. Tommy was really easy to walk, no pulling on the leash at all and he would keep looking at me with his big puppy eyes for directions. Only thing was that we did get tangled up around a couple of trees, but that is such a minor thing. On the way back to the SPCA after we turned around his actually started to wag his tail as he was walking and his ears were in a neutral position.

Back at the shelter, I was having a real hard time trying to get Tommy to stand still for me to towel him off. He got really nervous again, but luckily for the both of us another volunteer came to our rescue. She toweled him off no problem.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83185&result=12

No picture of him yet, but I will keep looking.

Scuba
December 16th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Tommy's picture is available on his profile page now. I didn't have a chance to walk him tonight but he did seem very well and a lot more confident than last Friday evening.

Tommy's profile again.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83185&result=14

Scuba
December 16th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Sasha is a BC x PBT girl. She is very sweet and smart. At first I thought she was going to be a handful since she was really excited in her kennel at the prospect of going out and she was barking as well. But once we were out the gate, she calmed right down and was a real pleasure to walk. She is actually quite timid, I found this out during our walk.

We were walking through the park near the SPCA shelter and going by a bench, there was a gentleman sitting there eating a sandwich and for some reason Sasha got all nervous and kept leaning against me as we were walking by. Once we were pass, she was alright again, so I don't know what had spooked her. She had no problems with pedestrians walking pass us on the sidewalk so I really don't know what had happened. People were complimenting on how cute they thought she was.

The funniest thing was half way into out walk, Sasha suddenly got all tensed and walked behind me and was a little shaky. At first I didn't know what was wrong and was really on guard trying to figure out what had spooked the poor girl. Turns out it was a little three feet tall snowman on somebody's lawn. It wasn't even a scary snowman, it was one of those three big snow balls piled on top of each other deals (or at least originally it was before its head fell off). Sasha just kept staring at it all the while we were walking pass it.:laughing:

She is such a lovebug, when I was putting on the light strap around her neck she kept licking my face. Also, she was very good at the sitting and waiting before crossing the street routine that I like to do. All in all I had a really good time walking her.:thumbs up

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=81463&result=3

Scuba
December 16th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Next dog I walked was Sable, she is a Lab Retriever cross. She is said to be about four years old. She is also very smart and a good girl. On our walk, she stood still and waiting for me to pick up and deal with her number two very patiently. She also was very good at "sit and wait", sometimes even doing it without me giving the command when we come to an intersection.

She just wanted to do her own thing tonight and I let her, we were wondering around aimlessly for quite a bit at the park around the softball diamond.

There isn't a picture at the moment online but I will provide a link to her profile anyways.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=81516&result=12

Scuba
December 16th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Then I went to walk an ISO dog with another volunteer.:thumbs up

There are currently two boys in ISO right now and we got one each. My guy was Nugget, he is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier Cross. Not sure what his age is, but he isn't that big. He was so excited to get outside, but I didn't have any problems leashing him up. Only thing was that Nugget and Duke (the other boy in ISO) kept getting their leashes tangled together.

Not far into our walk, Nugget did a huge number two. I had to use too baggies to get it all. I just couldn't figure how a little guy like him could poo so much!?:eek: Duke wasn't very helpful by deciding that whilst I was busy cleaning up it would be a really good time to play with Nugget.:evil:

After walking around for a bit, Duke and Nugget also played "bitey face" for a bit. That and chase each other around whilst there were humans attached to them on nylon straps (it is like chase but 10 times the fun for the dogs). After they got tuckered out, we just walked around for a bit. Then it was back to the kennel and off to bed for them.

Nugget's profile (no photo at the moment).
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82393&result=9

Scuba
December 21st, 2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry, I didn't have time to go to the SPCA shelter on Friday evening but I was checking on their website and some of the dogs have pictures or new pictures up on their website.

Nugget (Picture online now)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82393&result=8

Frank (New picture)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=77915&result=2

Thank you,
Scuba

growler~GateKeeper
December 22nd, 2008, 12:33 AM
Too funny about the headless snowman :laughing: sometimes it's the weirdest things that freak them out :crazy:

Nugget is a cutie :lovestruck: ahh the great fun of dog chase :cloud9::laughing:

Scuba
December 23rd, 2008, 01:54 AM
Tonight was just crazy, I waited a little over an hour for my first bus, luckily my connecting bus arrived pretty promptly. In the end I was about 40 minutes late. :frustrated:

When I got there, Beckum was barking and bouncing off the walls. We (head coordinator and I) had him harnessed, leashed and out in no time at all. Beckum is such a good boy now, knows quite a few commands. I got him to sit and wait for me tonight.:thumbs up

I also heard the good news that he has an adoption pending!!

Beckum was such a trooper tonight, even with the amount of snow that was on the ground. He was also such a clown tonight.:crazy: He kept wanting to plow through the really deep stuff, even though there were bits of pavements that had been shoveled and cleared. He also kept sticking his nose into the snow, guess he smells something he likes? The really funny bit was halfway into our walk, he sniffed a bit of shrub, cocked his leg and marked it only to repeat the exact same thing again. Like this shrub was extra special and he had to mark it twice.:shrug::laughing:

He was also really helpful tonight, he backed his bum on to a snow bank to do his No.2 and I didn't have to crouch down to pick it up. That and he was really good and sat still when I asked him to as I was cleaning up.

Beckum has has come a long way since I first met him. I am going to miss the big lug.:2huggers:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=78103&result=7

Scuba
December 23rd, 2008, 02:25 AM
After Beckum, I took Daisy Mae, for a walk. She is going into foster soon.

She still gets distracted really easily and likes to look everywhere but pay attention when you need her to. :D She will sit and wait, but sometimes need a little bit of remedial lessons. Most of the time tonight at the intersections there weren't any issues and I got her sitting and waiting very patiently. Only a few times did she get distracted and just wanted to run across the street. Even though there were hardly any cars or vehicles out and about tonight in the side streets due to the amount of snow. What motor vehicles there were about had a hard time stopping on the snow, slush and ice. I was just afraid that a car wouldn't be able to stop in time if Daisy pulled us into the road. But luckily the few times that she wanted to just cross the road without stopping I was able to short leash her and correct her in time.

Oh yeah, also with all the snow I guess Daisy some how got the idea that she was born to be a champion sled dog into her head since she was trying to drag me everywhere for the first half of our walk. She was actually really good just outside the gate, my glove had got caught when I was trying to latch the gate so I asked her to sit. Daisy just sat there patiently whilst I sorted myself out. It was only after the first few steps that Daisy really wanted to take off. Also her knee is all healed up.:thumbs up Still, I want her to learn to walk nicely on leash so the first half of our walk was basically Daisy trying to run a marathon and me trying to get her to heel.

After the half way mark, I guess she got kind of tuckered out and was actually walking very nicely. Daisy also didn't let the snow that was more than chest deep for her hold her back. I did notice that her poor little nose was a little pink around the edges.

All in all, I think we had a really good time.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=74428&result=14

Scuba
December 23rd, 2008, 02:30 AM
I was also helping to put some of the dogs into their kennel for bed and when I got back with Daisy Mae, most of the other volunteers where back or getting back with the other dogs so I got to say hi to most if not all of them.:grouphug:

Good News
I was browsing online about a rescue based in Vancouver, HugABull. My good buddy "conehead" got adopted!:lovestruck: There were some pictures as well, apparently whilst in foster he liked to hang out at his local Starbucks with his foster mom. And now he has gone to his forever home.:thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper
December 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Great news for both Beckum & Daisy Mae :thumbs up and awesome for "conehead"

Silly dogs they all go a little nuts in the snow :laughing:

hazelrunpack
December 28th, 2008, 01:28 AM
That is good news! :highfive:

I don't always post in this thread, Scuba, but I do generally always read it (sometimes later than other times... :o). I love reading about the different doggie personalities, but the best stories are the ones that end in adoption! :thumbs up :D

Scuba
December 30th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I was running a little late tonight due to missing a connecting bus again. I watched it pull away as I was waiting for a light (probably wouldn't have been able to get on considering how deeply it was packed), that dejected feeling is not very nice at all.

First up was someone that I have never met before, his name is Scooby, I had him only for about 5 minutes however. Also, we never managed to leave the SPCA shelter courtyard. As soon as he was out, Scooby decided to take a pee on/near/by one of the benches in the courtyard. "How about some respect for the place!" but I guess when you got to go, you got to go.

Another volunteer showed up about then, and I handed Scooby over to her so that I could go walk the boys in ISO (there were two).

Scooby seems like a nice boy, I will try to walk him again if I can (a little further the next time, and maybe actually get out the gate).

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84311&result=5

Scuba
December 30th, 2008, 02:21 AM
First up was a beagle puppy, Max. Actually Max is 9 months old already, but he missed the memo about having to act like a big dog now. I was trying to put a collar and leash on the guy and he just kept wanting to climb into my lap and lick my face.

I don't know if it is typical beagle behavior but Max, just wanted to stick his nose into everything and check all the stuff we encountered on our walk. He wanted to go up any stairs we encountered and go up to the front door of every apartment complex we walked by.

We were walking by the VCC and Max, got distracted by his own reflection in one of the big glass windows.:laughing: He was doing this back and forth thing in front of the window (he insisted that we had to go right up to the glass).

He was pretty entertaining all by himself.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83694&result=2

Scuba
December 30th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Next up was my pal Nugget, I had walked him before and I don't know if he recognizes me or it is just because I was about to take him out for a walk but he was pretty excited.

Nugget was so good tonight, as I was putting on his collar and trying to adjust it. I asked him to "sit" and he just planted his little butt down. There is an alley that he likes to run up and down behind the SPCA but considering the amount of snow and ice still on the ground, I thought it would be a wise idea not to partake in that activity tonight.

Nugget was pretty easy to walk, no problems with the "sit and wait". I did notice some pulling on the leash tonight a few times, but I take that to mean that he is feeling better now and has more energy. Which is a good thing so I just generally let him be.

Nugget did choose an unsuitable moment to pull near the end of our walk, I just happened to be partially standing on a patch of ice and he totally took my feet out from under me. I am fine, only a few scrapes on my right hand. It happened so fast, I don't think Nugget even realised what had happened.

The funniest thing that we did tonight was that I would make some snowballs and throw them just in front of Nugget. He would want to dash forward and chase them. But once he got up to them and saw that they were just balls of snow, snow like all the other white stuff on the ground he would lose interest. He would however watch me for when I throw the next one.:D

We had a great time and when we got back to the SPCA, I had him sit for me whilst I checked his pads for salt. We walked passed a stretch of sidewalk just as someone was putting more salt down. Then I sat on a bench waiting for the coordinator to open the door to ISO for me and Nugget decided he wanted to join me on the bench and snuggle right up to me.:cloud9:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82393&result=6

hazelrunpack
December 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Nugget's a cutie! :flirt: Too bad you can't copy your posts to his profile--his profile makes him sound like he's the most unmannerly fella around, but your posts sort of belie that. :o He seems like a little lovebug, hungry for attention.

growler~GateKeeper
December 31st, 2008, 12:00 AM
As soon as he was out, Scooby decided to take a pee on/near/by one of the benches in the courtyard. "How about some respect for the place!" but I guess when you got to go, you got to go.

:laughing: Maybe he wanted to claim that as his bench :dog:

I don't know if it is typical beagle behavior but Max, just wanted to stick his nose into everything and check all the stuff we encountered on our walk. He wanted to go up any stairs we encountered and go up to the front door of every apartment complex we walked by.

He was pretty entertaining all by himself.

Sounds like a typical hound dog, just followin' his nose :laughing:

Nugget is a cutie :cloud9: how nice to get some cuddles too.

Scuba
January 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM
First walk of the New Year!!

I was running a little behind again last night, about 10 minutes, and no one was left in the kennels. But there were still two guys in ISO so I headed over there.

It was Max & Nugget again.

Max was bouncing off the walls so I took him out first, that and I wanted to walk Nugget last so that I could have a little more time with him.

It was pretty easy putting the harness on Max (too easy), the problem was attaching the leash to the harness. Once the harness was on, Max just figured it was time to go and wouldn't hold still for me to clip him in. Kept wiggling around wagging his tail.

Once we were out, it was pretty much the same as our previous walk. He just wanted to check everything out. We did do some basic obedience stuff like "sit" and "stay". I tried to do "down" with him as well, but I guess it was a little too much in one go and Max just got confused. His face was hilarious, cant to one side and looking at me.:confused:

But his "sit" was a lot better then our previous walk on Monday so I am happy already. Also, Max was really good about me reaching into his mouth to remove stuff. Some dogs will literally fight you tooth and nail all the way but Max was pretty relaxed about the whole thing. The first item of the evening was a piece of cardboard from a pizza box (I think). Then it was a foil wrapper off a granola bar. I just said firmly "sit", got Max sitting and reaching into his mouth and removed said items.

When we got back to ISO and I had to put Max back into his kennel, he seemed pretty sad and was very vocal about it.

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Scuba, why are the dogs in ISO? Is that short for Isolation? As in 'quarantine on intake' or something similar?

Scuba
January 4th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Next up was Nugget!

Max must of told Nugget about the fun games that they can play called "Try to leash me if you can". Getting the collar on Nugget was easy as cake, come leash time, it was like pulling teeth. Next time, I am going to clip the leash to the collar/harness first.:lightbulb:

The sidewalks were very icy and I remember my fall from before so I was taking it slow with Nugget. He is such a little dynamo though. Also, he was pulling a little again so I worked on that with him. I did the change direction as soon as there is pressure on the leash plus go around random obstacles with him. That and also the stop and don't walk or praise until the leash is loose and they are back by your side. Nugget was working pretty hard and he was paying a lot of attention by the end. Good thing was that he took it in stride and didn't go all sulky. His tail was wagging like crazy the whole time but his little doggy face was all scrunched up in concentration.

He reminds me of a wind up toy. Get him up and going, then his little legs will go scrabbling away like mad. But once he winds down, he stops and is more than happy to just chill and relax.

When we got back to the SPCA, I had to wait for someone to open the door to ISO for me so I sat on a bench and Nugget hopped on to join me again. I was petting him and giving him scratches. As soon as I stop, he would butt my arm with his head or look at me until I started up again. At the end he also just decided to climb right onto my lap.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82393&result=9

hazelrunpack
January 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I think of all your regulars these days, Nugget is my fave :cloud9:

Scuba
January 4th, 2009, 12:19 AM
There was a dog that I walked before, her name is Roxy. There is a new and in my opinion, much better picture of her on her profile now.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82103&result=1

growler~GateKeeper
January 4th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Sounds like good walks despite the slippery sidewalks. That is a very nice pic of Roxy :lovestruck: too bad about her ears :sad:

Scuba
January 10th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Some great news, Max, the beagle that was in ISO got adopted. I didn't think that dogs in ISO were up for adoptions but whatever. He was such a fun guy, I wish his new parent(s) all the best.:thumbs up

When I got to the shelter, no body was left except for two guys in ISO. So, I went to walk the ISO dogs. It was my old buddy Nugget and a new resident Houston. As soon as I walked in to the ISO kennel area, Nugget got all crazy.:crazy:

I was going to take Houston out first, just in case anything unexpected came up on our walk since I have never walked him before. That and so that I could spent more time with Nugget. However, Nugget had made a mess in his kennel. He had tipped his food bowl over (I guess he knocked it over playing), the food (canned and kibble) was on the floor with the upside down bowl over it. I got him out and into an empty kennel so that I could clean up the mess. Since I had rinse, scrub, rinse and squeegeed I decided to take Nugget out first so that his kennel could air dry for a bit whilst we are out.

I was using a lupi harness on Nugget tonight (couldn't find the buckle one) and he just wouldn't sit still for me to put it on him. It wasn't that he was being naughty and difficult. It was just that he was too excited. In the end, I just played with him for five minutes and once he had calmed down a bit. I got him sitting perfectly and slipped the lupi on no problem. Then it was the LED strap light. For some reason, Nugget kept wiggling around when I first tried to put that on (we had used it together with no issues before numerous times). I guess he figured since we had spent so much time with the lupi, time was of the essence and we needed to get going right away?:shrug: In the end, I distracted him with a vigorous belly rub and just clipped the light around his neck.:D

As we finally got ready to go, Nugget grabbed a green rubber bone off of his bed. I tried to convince him to leave it at the shelter, but he gave me big sad eyes so I let him take it in the end. Not five minutes into the walk, as soon as he takes a pee, he leaves his bone behind.:rolleyes: I had to point at it and remind him to pick it up. Then we got into our walk proper, it was quite funny watching him walk around with a great big rubber bone. Half way into our walk, he drops it to sniff something and when I pointed at it to remind him to pick it up before we took off again but he just noses it for a bit then ignores it. In the end I had to carry it around for him pretty much the rest of our walk. Pretty much, because once it a while he would look at me with big sad eyes and nudge me with his nose for the big rubber bone. However as soon as I give it to him, he would either give it two chews then drop it or carry it for a few steps and drop it.:frustrated:

Nugget's leash manners I did notice was coming along much better now, hardly any tension in the leash as I was walking him tonight. Also, I got him sitting without any treats now on command. We also worked a bit on his "down" and they are coming along pretty well.

We were out for almost an hour.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82393&result=6

Scuba
January 10th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Next up was Houston, he jumped up on me as soon as I got into his kennel. He was just too excited to see me, once he calms down though I found him to be a really easy going guy. Houston had really good temperament, I was pulling on his jowls and mushing up his face and he didn't care at all. He has such a cute and squishable face.:laughing:

I used the lupi on him as well, when I went to put it on him, he just kept wanting to lick my face. In his enthusiasm, he managed to head butt me in the face quite a few times.:eek:

Houston has this really cute pink bit on his snout. His nose is all black, and he has this tuxedo looking coat with white socks on all four paws. Very handsome fellow. He walks well on leash, only thing was that he doesn't seem to know any basic obedience commands. We did work on "sit" and made some progress. I also noticed that Houston gets distracted fairly easily, but you can get his attention back fairly easily as well.

Houston didn't get as long of a walk as Nugget, but we did manage a good 40-45 minutes walk. Back at the kennel, getting the lupi off was a non-issue. As soon as it came off though, he was all over me. Licking my ears and everywhere he could get his tongue on or in.:yuck: After my cleaning session, we played for a bit in his kennel as well.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83830&result=11

PS. The vet tech/assistant at the hospital who opened the door to the ISO kennels for me also commented on how cute Houston is. He just has this dopey look.

Scuba
January 10th, 2009, 03:04 AM
As I was playing with Houston, Nugget got very vocal. I guess he wanted some one on one time as well.

Nugget kept bringing me different toys. He would bring me a blue rubber ball, go back then bring the green bone, change that up for a red kong and then a rope toy.:clown:

Also I guess, he didn't feel that Houston did a good enough job of cleaning my face (or myself for that matter, I washed my hands and faced between the dogs) since he climbed into my lap and gave me another tongue bath. We also just chilled out on his little bed for a bit. I just petted him while he stretched out across my lap.

I also noticed that whilst I was out with Houston, Nugget had ate all his food.:thumbs up

hazelrunpack
January 10th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Nugget was just remindin' you that he was your special buddy, not Houston...and dad-rat-it-I-get-special-lovin-time-too!!!! :dog:

It's gonna be bittersweet when Nugget gets adopted...I'm gonna miss him and I've never even met the little bugger in person! :o

growler~GateKeeper
January 11th, 2009, 04:55 AM
:highfive: for Max

Sounds like you had a relatively calm/uneventful visit this time, except for the headbutting *ouch* & who doesn't enjoy puppy cuddles :cloud9:

Scuba
January 13th, 2009, 01:35 AM
First dog that I met tonight was actually just by the SPCA parking lot, a girl named Thelma, she is still a puppy. She was kind of shy and didn't want to walk and was just sitting on the sidewalk with her volunteer. Since she was so cute, I decided to go and say hi. Once I got up to her, she leaned right against me and I just had to give her a cuddle.

Here is her profile, in the picture there is two dogs. Thelma and Louise, the puppy on the right is Thelma. Louise is currently at the Burnaby SPCA.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82681&result=5

Scuba
January 13th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Then I ran into an old friend, Sadie. I don't actually know if she remembers me.:shrug: But I decided to say hi anyway, after a few pets she just rolled over and wanted belly rubs.:lovestruck: Of course being the sucker that I am, I promptly complied with the lady's wish.

Here is her profile.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82335&result=1

Scuba
January 13th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Since there were actually quite a few volunteers and not that many dogs. I talked to the coordinator quickly and headed right over to the ISO with another volunteer (she has been doing this a lot longer than me). We have walked together quite a few times and with ISO dogs as well.

In the end I took Nugget and she took Houston.

Nugget was his usual self, too excited at first, meaning I had a hard time trying to put a harness on him. He kept running around with a tennis ball and wouldn't hold still for me. I would get one foot into the harness leg hole and then Nugget won't cooperate with me on the other one. Finally I would get the other one on, but by then the first leg would have slipped out of the harness.:yell:

Finally we did manage and the walk was uneventful. Nugget did keep wanting to climb the big piles of snow that is still around in the Lululemon parking lot. I don't quite know what was all that about, it was cute though up until he decided it was a good idea for me to join him as well.

We had a good 30-40 minute walk and then I swapped him for Houston with the other volunteer in the SPCA parking lot.

I only managed a 20-30 minute walk with Houston. I did try some obedience stuff with him. It appears however that we are back to square one but I am sure he is going to pick it up eventually. Back at the shelter I got into the kennel with Houston to play for a bit and it was good. He did get a little too rowdy at the end and managed to rip my t-shirt. After that I had to leave him to calm down a bit.

Whilst Houston was having his time out, I went and visited with Nugget. My little buddy had a new toy, this purple/pink octopus stuffie. Nugget in his haste to say hi to me managed to headbutt me in the face again. It was quite a good hit, I was kneeling down to say hi to the guy and he managed to shove me back on my heel hard enough that I hit the back of my head on the cinderblock wall.

Then it was like last time, he kept bring me his different toys and we chilled out on his little bed. I would pet him for a bit and he would be chewing away on his little tire then all of a sudden he would give my face a wash. This went on for quite a bit. The funniest thing was watching Nugget running around with his octopus. He went to get a drink of water and didn't want to leave his stuffie and yet he wanted a drink of water, so in the end he dropped the octopus into the bucket of water by accident. I had to fish the octopus out for him. Silly boy.

hazelrunpack
January 13th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Well even Nugget knows that an octopus is a marine animal! :laughing:

Scuba
January 13th, 2009, 10:56 AM

That was exactly what I was thinking.:laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
January 14th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Ouch your poor head :eek: those doggies are just too happy to see you :D must be the yummy treats & endless face washings :laughing:

:laughing: you're too funny Hazel :laughing:

Scuba
January 16th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I have been volunteering on Friday evenings for quite a long time now, but unfortunately I have a dinner party with a friend for his birthday. Therefore, I decided to cut class go to the SPCA in the morning and walk a few dogs. I really wanted to try and walk Thelma, whom I met briefly on Monday.

Unfortunately, there were other dogs that were in more urgent need for an outing so I could only say "hi" to her in her kennel.

I was really surprised to see an old buddy of mine, Chance. He was the first dog that I took out. At first he pulled a little on the leash, but after he walked of a little of his energy he was a lot better on leash. Still as smart as before, "sitting and waiting" for me at intersections. A couple of times without me even having to give him the commands. It was a nice long walk, nothing interesting happened.

One gentleman out walking his little fawn coloured PBT (a real handsome little fellow) wanted to say hi Chance. But since Chance is a shelter dog and there is always the chance of kennel cough and what not, I had to polite inform the gentleman that I couldn't let the dogs play. I did explain that Chance was very well behaved and nice, but the more important thing is to not spread doggie flu around.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=78930&result=5

I think he has grown a little bit taller and his shoulder has broaden a little since I have last seen him.

Scuba
January 16th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Next up, I walked Sadie. She was just so mellow and easy going. It was a pleasure to walk her. We didn't go very far nor go for a very long walk though. Sadie just told me in her own way with her body language that she was ready to head back. No balking on the leash or anything, just slowed down her pace and kept looking at me.

Once we turned around, the pace did pick up again. Sadie was easy to walk and good at following directions. We came up to one street corner and there was a broken glass bottle on the sidewalk and I told Sadie to "stop" and I guided her around it. She just followed my direction, no hassel at all. Then on the way back, when we were coming up to the same corner again. Sadie stopped all by herself and looked up to me for directions.:angel:

We were walking along the pavement next to the park near the shelter when a PBT who was off leash ran up to greet Sadie. Sadie was really calm and didn't react at all. I just asked her to keep walking and she did.:thumbs up

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82335&result=3

No suckering up to me for belly rubs today though.:sad:

Scuba
January 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Then I took Chevy out next. He is sharing a kennel with Sadie at the moment. Chevy just couldn't seem to make up his mind what he wanted. First, he didn't seem to go out then once we were out, he decided we needed to get back to the SPCA shelter right away.:shrug:

In the end I took him out for about 15 minutes. Then once back at the shelter, he didn't want to go back to his kennel, since there wasn't any body around so I just let him chill out in the volunteer room for a bit. Afterward, Chevy decided that he did want to go out after all. So, we went for another 15 minutes stroll. Poor guy can't make up his mind what he wants.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=76235&result=4

Scuba
January 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Went I was getting ready to leave, in the reception I saw the PBT that ran up to Sadie and his owner. His owner inquired about buying a new leash, seems his broke. The doggie came up to me all big eye and goofy grin (probably had to do with the sandwich I was eating). Since the SPCA doesn't sell leashes and stuff. The guy left with his dog, I did catch him in the parking lot and I gave him my leash (its a little roughed up) which has served me well for many months now.

I also gave his dog a treat.

Scuba
January 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I totally forgot about my boys who were in ISO, Nugget and Houston. Nugget apparently got adopted! Also Houston is all better now and is no longer in ISO but one of the regular kennels.

Houston's profile again
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83830&result=8

Scuba
January 20th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Got there pretty early this evening. First dog that I walked is not currently up for adoptions so there isn't much information about him. He was easy to walk and really relaxed. We were out for a nice stroll. It was kind of surreal and nice in a different kind of way with all the fog (there has been a lot of fog in Vancouver lately - FYI For those of you that live else where).

As this dog's situation developes I will post more information.

hazelrunpack
January 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Nugget got adopted!!! :highfive: :goodvibes:

Nice to hear that Houston is well enough to graduate to a regular kennel, too! :thumbs up

Scuba
January 20th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Chance managed to headbutt me twice tonight, at least it wasn't in my face though. Both time he headbutted me in the chest. I was trying to put the LED light collar around his neck and he was just too excited at the prospect of going out that he kept running around and into me. He has grown a bit from when I first knew him and he is not as clumsy as before now. But he is still basically a big clown.

Also Chance wanted to be helpful and give me a paw or four when I was trying to baggie up his no.2 on our walk. Big guy tried to climb into my lap! He really wanted to help but was more of a hinderance.

Otherwise our walk was fairly leisurely.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=78930&result=7

Scuba
January 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Basil is a senior at eight years old, but it is more of a technicality as he doesn't act like a senior at all. Loads of energy and likes to play. He is a GSD x Husky and his coat really needed a brushing so I grabbed a brush and had at him. He was really good and standing still for me, for the first part at least. I guess, he figured it was kind of comfortable and really enjoyable. That the best way for him to show me his appreciation is to attempt to lick my face and wag his tail really fast so that his whole back end is wiggling. This was all whilst I was still trying to finish brushing him.

A lot came out and I mean a lot. He did look much better after the brushing.

Then we went for a walk. Basil was easy to walk, no issues and will sit for me no problem. Lots of wet dog smell tonight even without any rain, I think on my way home that is one of the reason no one wanted to sit beside me on the bus!?

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84683&result=11

Scuba
January 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
There were two dogs that I didn't walk tonight but I wanted to talk about them anyway just because they are cute.

Joey -He is a boxer cross puppy

When I first got to the shelter tonight another volunteer was carry him around. Apparently the little fellow didn't want to walk but was not adverse to the idea of being carried like a baby.

Later in the evening, a mother daughter volunteer team told me he was snoring away happily in the daughter's arms wrapped in a big blanket in the little grooming/greeting/play room.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=85269&result=2

Sam - Australian Cattledog Cross

I haven't walked him before but I have seen him around. Tonight he wanted to come up and say "hi" to me with his volunteer. Of course I accepted and said "hi" back. Seems like a fun fellow, I will try to walk him if I have a chance.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83815&result=1

growler~GateKeeper
January 20th, 2009, 02:32 AM
:goodvibes: for Nugget in his new home

:thumbs up for Houston being out of ISO

:fingerscr Chance finds the purrfect furever home this time & soon

Such fun adventures you have with those pups not just on your walks but even just in the kennels :laughing: The dogs are lucky to have you to help out. :)

Scuba
January 24th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Houston - Houston got adopted!

On Monday I mentioned that I really wanted to try and walk Sam, well unfortunately I didn't get a chance tonight. I did spend some time with him in the reception area though. He is so cool and funny. Gave me high fives and stuff. I heard from his foster mom (she works at the SPCA) that apparently somebody is interested in adopting Sam.:fingerscr

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83815&result=1

Scuba
January 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Chance was the first dog that I walked tonight. At first he was a little pig headed tonight with me. Didn't want to sit or wait before crossing the streets. I think part of it is that he is trying to test the boundaries. He is actually a very smart dog so I think he is trying to be clever and see how far he can bend the rules. We had plenty of time however and I have great patience so in the end, Chance was sitting and waiting again.

Thank DOG that he didn't try to climb into my lap again when I was cleaning up after him. I did hear a funny story about my boy though. Another volunteer on Thursday night went out with Chance and as she was picking up his poo. She felt him nudge her in the side. At first she thought Chance was just impatient. Turns out he was putting his nose into her coat pocket and stealing treats to eat.:evil:

On our walk we did encounter a group of people and one of them asked really nicely if he could say hi to Chance. Knowing that Chance is very friendly and easy going, I agreed. This gentleman mentioned that he really loves the brindles. As he was squatting down to pet Chance, who was totally loving all the attention, you wouldn't believe how his tail was going. Chance tried to climb into this guy's lap and nearly knocked him over.:eek: Fortunately this gentleman managed to keep his balance and he just laughed it off. Doesn't Chance realise that he is not a puppy anymore?:confused: He still tries to get onto my lap as well (or anyone's for that matter back at the SPCA) at any opportunity he can. Silly boy.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=78930&result=5

Scuba
January 24th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Next up was a little sweetheart, Jada. It was my first time walking her and she was quite well behaved and sat or waited whenever asked. She is about 8 months old and is a PBT cross. Mostly fawn in colour with some patches of white. She is on the petite side but very well proportioned and her muscle tone is beautiful. Strong too for her size!:D

At first, when we started our walk we were just doing our own thing. But pretty soon we caught up to Chance and another volunteer (long time volunteer who loves Chance as well). Jada then decided that she didn't want to walk by ourselves anymore and wanted to hang out with Chance. At first the two of them kept getting the leashes tangled up but once everyone was settled down. It went quite smoothly. Even though Chance is taller than Jada and has longer legs, due to him wanting to stop, sniff and pee on everything. Jada soon took the lead, she did keep turning around to watch and wait for Chance.:lovestruck:

It was really fun, a nice little group walk.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83589&result=6

TeriM
January 24th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Chance and Jada are beauty :thumbs up. I'm glad they got to hang out on the walk together :).

growler~GateKeeper
January 24th, 2009, 02:50 AM
Great news for Houston :thumbs up

:fingerscr for Sam's potential adoption

That Chance what a clown :D people don't know what they're missing out on with him :lovestruck:

Jada is adorable :lovestruck:

Scuba
January 31st, 2009, 01:40 AM
Sorry that there wasn't a Monday evening update, I was feeling under the weather and stayed home. Still have a little bit of a runny nose but it wasn't too bad. The coordinator was joking tonight that I must have kennel cough and that they need to place me into ISO for a week.:eek:

I was really really hoping to walk Chance, but he got adopted and I didn't even get to say goodbye to my boy.:sad: So happy and sad at the same time.

Scuba
January 31st, 2009, 01:47 AM
The first dog that I took out was Basil, no issues with him what so ever. We have gone out on walks before so it was all cool.

Basil's coat does look a lot better now. I guess somebody has been brushing him or took him to the groomer. He is so fluffy and even a young lady on our walk commented on how adorable he is. I think her exact words were, "What a cute dog". Then half way into our stroll, coming out of an apartment a gentleman decided to say hi to Basil and said "What a good puppy" and I had to actually tell him that Basil is a senior already.

That is what I love about Basil, he is so relaxed and easy going. Yet he has the energy of a puppy.

Only thing was that he kept wanting to drink out of dirty puddles tonight.:yuck:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84683&result=8

Scuba
January 31st, 2009, 02:06 AM
Sabre is a GSD cross with a Rottweiler (?), don't know his age as he was found as a stray. He looks mostly to be a GSD to me, I can't see any Rottie in him personally but the main thing is that he is a very good boy! Sabre was an absolute angel to walk.:angel: He was heeling all by himself on our walk. I am pretty sure he has had an owner before who took him out on loads of walks and trained him. He will walk on my left hand side and look at me once in a while. Most dogs even the ones with good leash manners will often time go back and forth to different sides of me to go sniff stuff. Sabre will stop to sniff something and then put himself back into the same spot.

He also sat all by himself a few times as we approached an intersection. Not to mention that on our walk tonight. Going pass an apartment building, I notice that there was a big orange cat outside. At first I was going to cross the street with Sabre. However, since Sabre was really relaxed and didn't even tense up at all. I decided to continue walking down the sidewalk and see what would happen (I did have both hands on the leash just in case). As we were getting closer, this cat started arching its back and hissing. Sabre just looked at the cat once and walked right pass it. The distance was only 4-5 feet at one point. Sabre is just a really well behaved dog, no aggression what so ever. It was like paying attention to the crazy cat was not worth the effort for him.

Poor guy is on a special diet at the moment though and I couldn't give him any treats. He doesn't have a tail, not sure why. He could possibly be my new favorite guy.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84979&result=3

growler~GateKeeper
January 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM
:laughing: kennel cough/ISO :D good sense of humour :thumbs up :D

Great news for Chance :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for Basil getting adopted soon

I can see Rottie in Sabre's face - he's adorable :lovestruck: original owners probably had the tail docked so he would look more like a rottie :rolleyes: With such great leash manners he should have no problem finding a home :goodvibes:

Scuba
February 3rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
The first dog that I walked this evening was a girl Staffoshire Bull Terrier, her name is Sacha. She is fairly petite but has long legs and is a brindle, very pretty. It was her first day at the SPCA shelter and she was a little bit anxious and nervous. At first she was a little adverse to the idea of being leashed up and taken out for a walk. So, the coordinator of this evening and I decided to let her calm down for a bit before we tried again.

She actually got pretty excited at watching all the other dogs going out but the second time we tried to put a leash on her, it was no problem. At first she was still really nervous and excited to be out on a walk. After a while she got used to me and we just walked normally.

Sacha likes to walk in front but there was no tension at all in the lead and she kept looking back to me every few steps. She has really good leash manners. Turns out she will also sit and wait very patiently all by herself when we get to an intersection. Just the act of slowing down and stopping by the curb will cause her bum to connect with the ground. Didn't even need to say "sit" once during the course of our walk.

We also walked passed a cat without any issue what so ever. There was even a dog in a ground floor apartment that went nuts as we walked pass and Sacha didn't react in anyway at all.:thumbs up

When we got back to the shelter, the coordinator of the evening was busy so I sat down on one of the benches to wait and Sacha hopped on to join me.:lovestruck: Emphasis here is she joined me on the bench not on me.

She is really adorable but since she is so new, there isn't a profile of her available yet. As soon as there is one, I will post a link to it.

Scuba
February 3rd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Next up was a nice big handsome fellow who unfortunately doesn't have a name yet. He was picked up as a stray in Surrey (one of the municipalities in Greater Vancouver Regional District). He is a PBT cross Lab, mostly black in colour with a tiny bit of white on his chest. Didn't seem to response to any verbal command like "sit", "down" or "stay" but there shouldn't be any problem of the volunteers, staffs, coordinators and trainers getting him into a program. He is one mellow and relaxed dude so training him should fairly easy.

On our walk, it seemed he was pretty happy to just keep his nose stuck to the ground sniffing stuff as he ambled along with me. He likes to pull a tiny bit occasionally but the tension is minimal and as soon as he realises that you are not following along at that speed, he slows down.

A testimony to how easy going this dog is, was when I walked into him. He had suddenly stopped right in the middle of the sidewalk to sniff something. Which I was not expecting, normally the dogs like the stretches of grass on the sides. Before I had time to react, I had walked into the his bum. It startled him and he did jump forward and look back. As soon as he realised that it was me and that it was an accident he calmed right down. When I went to one knee and called him, he came right up to me and allowed me to pet him.:angel:

He should be able to thrive at the SPCA. Unfortunately there is no profile for him either at the moment.

Scuba
February 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Next up is a little PBT cross, her name is Louise. I wanted to walk her sister before (Thelma got adopted) but I never got the chance so tonight I decided I was going to take Louise out for a quick walk even if it was for 10 minutes.

Turns out our girl was all excited about going out but not for a walk though. She was just more interested in getting cuddles and playing with the volunteers. When I finally coaxed her outside, she only walked half a block and did a pee. Then balked at walking any further. When she wouldn't go any further, I stood there trying to decide what to do and Louise decided it for me. She ran up to me and leaned against my legs so I just gave in and gave her a few good hugs and some scratches behind the ears. She kept trying to climb into my lap. What is it with all the PBT and PBT crosses wanting to climb into my lap?:confused::D

After a while, we went back to the shelter.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82682&result=6

growler~GateKeeper
February 3rd, 2009, 01:56 AM
Awww Louise is adorable :lovestruck: & still just a baby @ 5 months :cloud9:

What is it with all the PBT and PBT crosses wanting to climb into my lap?:confused::D

:laughing: They are trying to show the world pitties & bullies are loveable lap dogs too :D

Scuba
February 3rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
Awww Louise is adorable :lovestruck: & still just a baby @ 5 months :cloud9:

:laughing: They are trying to show the world pitties & bullies are loveable lap dogs too :D

I know that pitties and bullies are lovable dogs, experienced it first hand myself numerous times.:thumbs up It is the lap dog bit that gets me confused.:confused: Especially with a guy like Chance. He is a lot bigger now than when I first knew him. Still acts like a puppy though, just not as clumsy on his feet most of the time.:laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
February 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
All dogs want to be lap dogs doesn't matter the size :laughing:

Edit: my :angel2: Cally was a 70 lbs Dal x Blk Lab who at 12 yrs old still wanted to sit on my lap :D

Scuba
February 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Sacha has a profile online now, no picture though. Also I didn't get a chance to walk her tonight.:sad:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86540&result=10

Scuba
February 7th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Louise was being a clown again tonight, she kept wanting to play but not walk. When I first got her outside, she just kind of sulked around when I suggested we go for a walk. But she was pretty excited and hyper for the chance to be out of the kennel.

We wandered up and down the sidewalk outside of the SPCA for a couple of minutes. Then Louise found this 500ml pop bottle (7up if anyone wanted to know) and kind of went all crazy.:crazy: She was batting the thing around with her paws, pushing the bottle with her nose and biting it. It was pretty funny to watch. At one point I did have to step in and remove the label as it was starting to peel off and I didn't want her ingesting any of that.

This went on for about 7-8 minutes. It was only then that Louise decided to go for a walk. But it was only a circuit that consisted of the few blocks immediately around the SPCA shelter. It seems like this little girl just likes to play and cuddle but not walk. At least she did both No. 1 and 2 for me during our walk. So our walk was only about 10-12 minutes long.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=82682&result=11

Scuba
February 7th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Basil was ready for a walk and his enthusiasm really shows. His kennel is right next to Louise's. When Louise saw that I was taking Basil out, she got all jealous and was *roo rooing*. That and standing up against the kennel door looking at me with her big brown puppy eye.

The coordinator just said to Louise "Well, you had a chance for a nice long walk but you didn't want to go so too bad.".:laughing:

Basil was just his usual self, just wanted to enjoy a nice stroll and sniff some stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary happened on this walk. Everyone that we encountered did compliment Basil on being a really nice dog in one way or another.:thumbs up

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84683&result=13

PS. No need to feel sorry for Louise in anyway what so ever. Plenty of volunteers were playing with her tonight at the shelter.:D

Scuba
February 7th, 2009, 01:08 AM
It was my first time walking Dante. He is a GSD cross Husky? Dante gets easily excited and I was told that he likes to pull on leash.

When we first got out of the gate, he did pull but it wasn't anything that I couldn't handle. When it comes to pulling there are far worst culprits. But I did notice that Dante is very easily excitable. When he sees other dogs or even people out on our walk, he just wants to go up to them.

He does know some commands and sat for me whenever I asked. Also after that initial burst of energy right out of the SPCA, he did calm down a lot more (when it was just the two of us) and walked a lot better on leash. No pulling at all.

The funny thing that happened with Dante was when my shoelace came undone on my left shoe. I went to tie it and Dante wanted to help too I guess? Cause he kept sticking his nose at my shoe whilst I was trying to tie the laces. When I finally went to push his nose away (gently) he then decided that licking my face would also help contribute to my shoe lace tying effort! Silly dog, doesn't he know that he needs opposable thumbs to help me.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83996&result=2

growler~GateKeeper
February 7th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Louise is too cute :lovestruck: I wonder how she would do if another dog went on the walk with her? if that would get her going better so she can experience the joys of the walk :)

Dante is a handsome boy too :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for both Basil & Dante for furever homes soon

rainbow
February 7th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I love Louise .....what a cutie. :lovestruck: At least she got some exercise playing with the bottle. :D

Basil looks like such a gentle old soul. :cloud9:

Silly Dante is a handsome boy. :lovestruck: Logan does the same if I have to stop and tie my laces ....thinks mommy needs her face washed. :rolleyes:

Scuba
February 8th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Yeah!

Finally a picture of Sacha, such a pretty girl.:lovestruck:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86540&result=8

growler~GateKeeper
February 8th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Aww Sacha's adorable :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for a furever home soon

hazelrunpack
February 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Sacha is beautiful, that's for sure! I hope the perfect family comes along for her soon! :goodvibes:

Dog Dancer
February 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Such a hard start for such a gorgeous pup. Here's hoping she finds her forever home soon.

Scuba
February 10th, 2009, 01:10 AM
I got there super early this afternoon, had to run some errands and it didn't make sense to go home first. Which turned out to be a good thing. A little puppy girl, Beauty just got spayed this morning and as I was waiting for volunteering to start she was brought back form the hospital. Poor thing was still really dopey and sleepy from the drugs. Basically a bunch of staff, another volunteer and me just kept her company by reception.

Beauty is just so cute and adorable. I think she will be pretty big once she is fully grown considering the size of her paws right now. She is a Lab cross and is about three months old at the moment.

When I was petting her and playing with her, she was starting to wake up more and eventually she did wander around the SPCA (with me attached). Her belly is all shaved at the moment and when the staff fitted her for a E collar, she was really calm about it. Beauty did try to lick herself a few times but we were able to stop her in time and distract her.

A basset hound, Duke also came up and said hi to Beauty. As did two other dogs that are owned by the staff. Beauty took it all in stride (big leaping ones).

Beauty
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=80777&result=5

Duke
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=85970&result=1

Scuba
February 10th, 2009, 01:19 AM
I kind of just wanted to spent my whole evening cuddling with Beauty but there was one really energetic dog that needed someone to walk him. So, I had to stop playing with Beauty :sad: and attend to him.

Rocky is a Doberman, he is really strong. He is a tall boy as well, his shoulders are past the top of my knees. Rocky is lean and slim but it is all muscle.

The first portion of our walk mostly consisted of me being dragged around by him. But once Rocky had settled down, it wasn't that bad at all. Also, he would sit and wait whenever I asked. So, he probably just need a little more training on leash.

He did eat some poo during our walk, I just couldn't stop him in time.:yuck:
Good thing was that Rocky did not felt like he had to express his affections with kisses when a wiggling bum (docked tail) and smile would do.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86833&result=8

Scuba
February 10th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Sierra is a Rottweiler X Border Collie (?) and is one and a half years old. She is pretty sweet and wants to please. Unfortunately doesn't know what to do when she encounters other dogs. But the coordinators and staffs are working on it.

She was really excited when I took her out for a walk, so excited in fact that she jumped up and punched me in the privates with one of her little paws.:yell:

Once the initial craziness wore off, she was a breeze to walk. Sierra would sit whenever she was asked. It was really funny to watch, she is just so eager to please that even when sitting you can she her bum is practically vibrating from excitement. Not to mention the back and forth bushy tail.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=69104&result=3

growler~GateKeeper
February 10th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Beauty is so cute! She's gonna be big :laughing:

Giant floppy eared Duke :D :cloud9:

Poor Rocky :sad: owners moved & abandoned him :sad: probably was never walked much either :frustrated: :fingerscr he gets the best home soon

Scuba :grouphug: you need to work on your blocking! :D Sierra sure is a cute & she looks like a happy little tornado :laughing:

Scuba
February 14th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Got there early today and the first dog I took out was Rocky, he is a strong boy so I thought I would try to tire him out first. When I went to put the lupi on him tonight it was such a breeze. He was really excited at the prospect of going out and his whole body was shaking but at least he managed to stand still long enough for me to put the harness on.

At least tonight Rocky didn't try to run down the street right out the gate. He still pulls a little but not as much as before. Waited really calmly and quite patiently at the street corners. Only thing was that there was a couple of times when he wouldn't sit for me.:shrug: But over all, he is coming along very well.

He appears to be very calm towards other dogs and small children. We walked past a park and there were some off leash dogs and later some little boys running around and Rocky looked but didn't strain or act aggressive. He was just curious.

Slight incident was that during our walk, passing some houses, a little dog (not on leash) runs out of no where and up to Rocky then starts barking. I tried to cross the street with Rocky but there was a car and this little dog just keeps badgering us the whole time barking its little head off. Rocky is like 8-9 times the size of this dog, but he didn't react aggressively at all. In the end, Rocky only barked at the little dog when it charged at us the third time. Then finally the owner shows up and I was able to walk away without incident with Rocky. Rocky was such a trooper.:thumbs up He didn't lounge at this little dog at all or react aggressively at all.

The funniest thing that happened tonight was when Rocky got a piece of leaf stuck to his face. He was sniffing something on a lawn and I guess his slobber got this big piece of leaf stuck to the leaf side of his snout. I was going to take it off at first but it didn't seem to bother him, plus it was funny as heck. Rocky did give me the stink eye when I laughed at him. Eventually it just came off, I didn't even notice when it happened. Probably when he was sniffing some brushes it just rubbed off.:D

We had an hour long walk and by the time we got back, Rocky was pretty mellow.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86833&result=4

Scuba
February 14th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Next up was a hyper Border Collie mix puppy (6 months old). She probably has some Australian sheepdog in her due to the mottling on her back, but who knows. Her name is Kyanna.

She got back to the shelter with her volunteer a little bit after Rocky and I. Rocky was all calm and mellow (he sat for the coordinating staff so easily but wouldn't for me on our walk :yell:) but Kyanna was still bouncing like crazy. She was literally jumping up and down, on people and the walls. So, I took her out again.

Kyanna just has so much energy and is curious about everything. On our walk, she wanted to check out pretty much anything. She was pretty good at sitting for me. Not for very long, but she will sit on command. Her coat is so fluffy and soft. She did keep getting herself tangled up with trees and street signs with the leash. However, after I showed her how to come back around to my side, she kind of got the hang of not placing objects between us later on in our walk.

Back in her kennel, she has this big red and yellow stuffie dog that is bigger than her.:D:lovestruck: She is so adorable.

No pictures yet:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87198&result=4

Scuba
February 14th, 2009, 02:03 AM
I didn't get a chance to walk my other ladies Jada and Sacha. But I did manage to say hi to them in their kennels when I helped put everyone to bed. Made sure they were comfortable and that all the collars and harnesses were off.

I put a blanket on Basil's bed for him, all neat and laid out then as soon as I locked the door he noses it into a pile.:frustrated: In the end I had to get the keys from the coordinating staff and go in and rearrange Basil's bedding. Maybe it was all just a plot, he wanted some more one on one time? Basil kept bring me his toys, it was pretty cute.

There was a note on Jada's kennel, ADOPTION PENDING!:fingerscr

Jada
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=83589&result=5

Sacha
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86540&result=3

Basil (New picture)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84683&result=6

growler~GateKeeper
February 14th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I'll bet Kyanna is adorabe :cloud9: can't wait for a pic :D

Excellent work Rocky :thumbs up so many dogs get frusterated when pestered by other barking dogs that they reprimand/tell them off which sometimes can be viewed as aggressive but isn'r

:goodvibes: for Jada

Scuba
February 17th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Great news

Beauty and Jada both got adopted!

Didn't see Duke or Rocky tonight so hopefully they went to forever homes too.:fingerscr

Scuba
February 17th, 2009, 01:23 AM
This little Lady has to wear a Elizabethen collar at the moment. She gets excited pretty easily and just wants to say hi to everyone walking by that she keeps banging the e-collar against the kennel. The thing is more duct tape than cone now.:laughing:

I hadn't walked a dog with a cone on in a while now and I forgot how funny they look.:D Lucy, kept putting the whole cone on to the ground to sniff stuff. She also kept banging into things trying to sniff them. Poor cone is falling apart.

She was a real sweetheart, kept looking at me on our walk and would sit whenever I asked. Such a cute dog, she looks so chubby and cuddly but is not. She is totally cuddly just not chubby at all, just stocky and squat. Her muscle tone is beautiful. Got a pink little nose as well.

There is unfortunately no profile at the moment since she is not available for adoption at the moment.

Scuba
February 17th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I had walked him quite a few times before, it was just that he was not yet available for adoption before and there were no profile before. Now he is about to get spayed and is available to any loving family. They say he is a Chow Chow cross with a Rottie? I don't know and don't really care. He is just a big lovable guy. So gentle and easy going.

Tonight we went for a nice long walk. Only thing was that when T-bone wanted to poop tonight. He decided it was a good idea to back his bum right into some hedges. It was such a pain in the butt to try and clean it all up!

Near the end of our walk as we neared the shelter. We came across a beautiful looking Siamese cat on the sidewalk. T-bone just wanted to go up and say hi. He wasn't pulling on the leash at all, just wagging his tail like mad and doing that little *whine whine* vocalisation. I know that T-bone only wanted to say hi and play with the kitty but I don't think he knows kitty body language. This cat had its hackle all up and its back arched. It didn't hiss or spit at all but I am sure if I had let T-bone go up to the cat. He would have caught a paw full of claws on his nose. In the end we just left the kitty alone and T-bone was more than happy to let me take him back to the shelter where another volunteer promptly took him right out again. Lucky boy!

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87400&result=2

Scuba
February 17th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Ha ha ha...Just a little dude who got overly excited and decided to hump my leg like crazy. I did try to redirect his energy and attention into other things. Like a ball and other toys. His name is Tonka, black with some white on his chest. I would venture to say he is some sort of Black Lab cross.

Turns out the horny little guy didn't want to go out for a walk, just wanted to play. A few volunteers were playing and socialising with him in the little meet and greet room. Then I came along and got humped on.:eek:

In the end, we took him out with Jesse, another Labrador retriever cross. They were playing really well and Tonka this time went for a couple of blocks with me on a leash. Another volunteer had Jesse. It was funny just watching them play and have fun.

No profile for Tonka yet but here is one for Jesse. (They actually look really similar -except one is a boy and the other a girl.)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86424&result=6

Scuba
February 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
There was a stray beagle girl that was dropped off at the shelter just as volunteering was about to start. She was such a nervous little thing. All the barking dogs (they know when it is time for walks) and the new environment. She is a well fed dog and knows a lot of basic commands. Hopefully, her family will be able to find her.

Lots of the volunteer were saying hi and playing with her (me included).

growler~GateKeeper
February 17th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Excellent for Beauty and Jada :highfive:

:fingerscr for Duke & Rocky

T-Bone is a cutie :cloud9: and Jesse (and Tonka if he looks like her) is just gorgeous :lovestruck:

:goodvibes: for the little Beagle for her family finding her

Scuba
February 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Kyanna has a picture on her online profile now. Also at the moment she is at the Burnaby SPCA shelter.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87198&result=3

growler~GateKeeper
February 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Oh she's gorgeous :lovestruck: and so close, darn no dog apt.

Scuba
February 20th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Here is the profile of Tonka and there is a picture of him.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86351&result=8

growler~GateKeeper
February 21st, 2009, 12:34 AM
Aww Tonka is adorable :lovestruck: love those ears! :cloud9:

Scuba
February 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
I was at the shelter really early tonight and got to take Sacha out!:cloud9:

She was so excited when she saw me, kept jumping up and down. But as soon as I went into her kennel and asked her to sit down so that I could clip into her harness she sat still. what a little angel.:angel:

It was kind of weird though, normally for most dogs. The first half of their walk is when they are really hyper and not paying attention to you. With Sacha tonight it was the exact opposite. For the first bit of our walk she kept herself right next to me and kept looking to me for directions.:) It was only when we really got into our walk that she started to open up her stride.

We also encountered a little girl who was out riding her bicycle. I guess the girl lives in the neighborhood and has been visiting the shelter since she recognised who Sacha was. She petted Sacha (I got Sacha to sit for her) for a bit and then we went our separate ways. Tonight Sacha was also very well behaved on our walk, sat and/or waited every time I asked.:thumbs up

Also near the end of our walk as we were almost back to the shelter, she suddenly had a quick bout of zoomies. Its always really funny (to me at least) when the dogs are trying to zoom on a six feet long leash.:laughing: Sacha was such a clown, it was really cute.

I love the way her coat feels, it is almost like velvet to the touch.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86540&result=12

Scuba
February 21st, 2009, 01:02 AM
When I got back with Sacha, no body was back yet so I took her right out again. In total I had her for more than one and half hours tonight.:cloud9:

We tried learning some new commands. I tried to get Sacha to do "down" for me but I guess she just get too much fun and the excitement got to her. Sacha kept doing "sit, left paw and then right paw" all by herself. It was like a broken record playing the same tune over and over.:laughing:

On this "second" walk, we also walked right by a cat on some steps and Sacha didn't react at all other than look at the cat.:angel: I didn't even realise there was a cat until we were right next to it. It was mostly black with a bit of white on its chest and paws. The cat didn't really do anything either, just sort of glanced our way.

Scuba
February 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
His name is Rufus and he is black. Such a tiny little guy. He was doing this crazy dancing when I went into his kennel.:laughing:

We had a leisurely stroll, didn't go very far. Rufus would only sit for me some of the time but he is definitely trainable.

After the half way mark, he kept sitting down and giving me big sad eyes. I knew what he was trying to do so I just ignored him. I would just wait for a bit and then encourage him to walk some more. Little guy was trying to sucker me into picking him up!:rolleyes:

When we got back, he had some water and then chilled out on his blanket. No profile or picture yet.

growler~GateKeeper
February 21st, 2009, 01:26 AM
:laughing: good on you for not caving & picking him up - that little trick has obviously worked for him before :laughing:

Scuba
February 24th, 2009, 12:48 AM
There was the cutest grey kitten at the reception area.:lovestruck: It was pretty entertaining watching her play.

First dog that I walked tonight was Brewster. He had been out for a long walk earlier with a member of staff so was really easy going and mellow. Got him to sit and/or wait with no problem at all. A few times he sat all by himself as we stopped at the curb.:thumbs up

Since it was raining and I didn't know how many volunteers would be showing up, we were only out for 30 minutes. Turns out it was OK since loads of volunteers showed up!:thumbs up Also once back in the Kennel Brewster was just interested in some food and chilling out.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=74443&result=7

Scuba
February 24th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I didn't get to walk him but I did help dry him off with a towel at the end of his walk and help put him to bed. T-bone has got a new picture on his profile.

T-Bone looking handsome.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87400&result=4

I actually had the chance to interact with pretty much all the dogs tonight who are currently at the shelter tonight.:) Some of them are just so cute and such sweethearts. I played ball with Sacha for a bit in her kennel tonight as well. She was so silly.

Scuba
February 28th, 2009, 02:16 AM
T-Bone got adopted, heard from staff that its a great family! Also some other doggies went to forever homes too.

First up was Brewster tonight, I actually got to take him out early since I got there early. He was pretty well behaved for the most part. Just a few times when he wanted to test the boundaries by trying to gnaw the leash and not walk. All in all, it was pretty good. Most of the time he will sit and wait patiently all by himself now at street corners. He just needs to know who is boss. Otherwise he was actually acting pretty cute tonight. He was sitting down and scratching his own chin with his hind legs. First one side, lean over and then the other side. To top it all off he sniffed his own bum!:eek::laughing:

After a long walk, he was pretty mellow so I put him back into the back of the kennel so that he wouldn't get all worked up and excited by the other dogs.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=74443&result=4

Scuba
February 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM
I only got to walk Brewster tonight, rest of the evening I was helping coordinate. It was pretty interesting and fun. At least I got to interact with all the dogs and put them all to bed.

I did spent some quality one on one time with two of my favourite ladies. Delila and Sacha. I remember the first night Delila came in, she was so nervous and scared. Now she is so happy and easy going. What a difference a week makes. She is just adorable.

Sacha was her usual pretty self and I played with her for a bit.

Delila
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87415&result=2

Sacha
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86540&result=9

growler~GateKeeper
February 28th, 2009, 02:41 AM
:highfive: for T-bone

Delila is a pretty girl :lovestruck:

Scuba
March 3rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Got there pretty early tonight and had plenty of time to spare. Since there was time we tried to socialise Brewster with a couple of other dogs. We wanted to see if he could play nice and not be so hyper all the time.

One staff had Brewster and first I had Sacha out to how they would get along. Both Sacha and Brewster wants to play, but the way that Brewster approaches it, is just too rough and tumble for Sacha. She would tell him off and he wouldn't listen. If Brewster could just tone it down a little or greet Sacha calmly I think they would hit it off. But since it wasn't working I took Sacha back to her kennel.

Next I tried with Dakota, he is full of beans too! It worked a little better I think since he is pretty hyper too. Dakota would roll over on his back and be submissive when it got too much for him. However Brewster's level of energy was just a little too high sometimes and Dakota wasn't having much fun in the end. Therefore I took Dakota for a short walk to let everyone calm down a little. Dakota took the opportunity to do a number two for me.:thumbs up

Dakota is a good boy, sits for me no problem at all. Here is a profile for him.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87439&result=5

Scuba
March 3rd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Since the regular coordinator was away tonight, I helped another coordinator tonight. I didn't really walk anyone else tonight, mostly just some people/dog socialisation with the dogs. Which is fine with me, all the cuddles and none of the work.

Delila was such a cutie and her volunteer had her out for over an hour tonight, such a lucky girl.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87415&result=2

This morning was pouring rain but in the evening the weather was really nice and it was uneventful. Which is good, sometimes too much excitement is a bad thing. Plenty of walkers tonight and there weren't many dog (always a good thing).

hazelrunpack
March 3rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Brewster sounds like a dynamo! :eek: I wish I could pull up the pictures, but it's a bad phone line day... Does he have some labrador in him? Lots of labbies are hi-energy complete goofs like that! :D

Scuba
March 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM
I helped to coordinate tonight so didn't get a chance to walk any of the SPCA dogs tonight. But that is alright with me, the important thing is that they get out for some exercise and to be able to go to the bathroom. Whether it is with another volunteer or me is irrelevant. Also, this way I get to interact with every dog! Which is fun too.

Some good news.

Delila and Dakota both went to forever homes!
Basil got fostered to some place that sounds wonderful, there is like an acre for him to run around. (I need someplace like that!

Sacha was her usual pretty self, I can't believe she is still here. If I had the time and money I would have taken her home already. Same with a few of the other volunteers, would probably need to fight them for her.:D Threw a ball around for her in her kennel, that was fun.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86540&result=12

Scuba
March 7th, 2009, 03:30 AM
There were also two dogs who are BFFs. Their names are Sugar and Buttercup!:laughing: Two volunteers took them out at the same time. It is always nice when that can be arranged.

Sugar: She is very adorable.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87343&result=4

Buttercup: She is a sweetheart as well.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87344&result=10

Scuba
March 7th, 2009, 03:32 AM
We also had a new resident, he is a big boy but very sweet. Don't even need treats to get him to do a lot of stuff. Just some praise and attention and he is like putty.:laughing:

His name is Buddy, a long time volunteer had him out and said "He is a lover."
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84923&result=8

growler~GateKeeper
March 7th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Great news for Delila & Dakota :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for Basil

Scuba
March 10th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Good thing pretty much all the snow had melted by the time dog walking started! Still played it safe though and took the bus tonight.:D

The usual coordinator was here tonight so I got to walk some dogs! But Sacha was gone.:sad: I didn't get to say my goodbyes.:yell: At least she has her forever home now, I should be happy for her.

The first dog I took out still does not have a profile up yet. It was the one that was shedding like crazy before when I had on my black fleece (still trying to remove all the stuck on fur). We only went for a short walk and then I took a brush to the hair monster. Took quite a lot out, easily five or six handfuls. This big dog is one big suck, loves all the girls who work at the SPCA.

Will post a picture as soon as one is available.

Scuba
March 10th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Then it was Brewster's turn for a walk. Apparently the first time he went out, he didn't walk very far so I took him on a second walk.

He behaved and was good on our walk except for one time when he had a sudden burst of energy and wanted to chew the leash. I guess he was a little annoyed that he could only zoom on a leash that was six feet long. With a stoopid hoomin attached that is very strict. Poor guy just needs a place where he can run off leash and burn some energy.

Otherwise, he was actually very well behaved tonight. He will often sit without any prompting from me now before we cross a street. Also, he does take an interest in other dogs that we see on our walk tonight. He doesn't get fixated at an a high level like he usually does. Just a quick "hey hey, lets go" and we would be on our way again.

Such a clown though, he gets so jealous if you do something with a dog in the kennel next to his and you don't include him!:laughing:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=74443&result=5

Scuba
March 10th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Some more updates on Basil, his new family e-mailed some pictures of him from his new home on the Sunshine coast. He looks so happy!:cloud9:

Also, Sugar has a new picture up on her profile.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87343&result=2

There is also a really cute puppy, her name is Flopsy. Such a cuddle bum.:lovestruck:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=85568&result=1

growler~GateKeeper
March 10th, 2009, 02:03 AM
:thumbs up Good for Sacha & great update for Basil :highfive:

The first dog I took out still does not have a profile up yet. It was the one that was shedding like crazy before when I had on my black fleece (still trying to remove all the stuck on fur).

I've found the "sticky rollers" are useless, clear packing tape (Scotch etc) works much better, wrap the tape sticky side out on an empty roller works great ;)

Sugar :lovestruck: great pic
Flopsy so cute :lovestruck:

Scuba
March 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Growler - Yupe, from previous experience I know the roller things don't work. I do use that loop of tape trick though.

Updates, lots of doggies got adopted!:thumbs up
Ramble (I didn't get a chance to walk her!:sad:)
Gizmo (Never had a chance to walk him)
Plus quite a few others, so it is all good.

Friday the 13th

I got to coordinate tonight which was good, also had the Monday night coordinator helping me which was very nice.:thumbs up If anything went wrong, maybe I can blame him?!:evil::D

One Border Collie cross puppy who is not up for adoption yet got fostered by another volunteer, they are going to put some meat on the bones of our boy!

Since I was coordinating I didn't really walk dogs other than one girl tonight that I took out on a bathroom break. I was going to take her for longer but she pulled a "diva" on me. As soon as she had done her potty, she wanted to go right back to her kennel!:shrug: Luckily the Monday night coordinator got her out for a proper walk. (No picture or profile yet.)

Some new residents at the shelter but just a few (numbers I can count on one hand is always good...eh?). Just got to do a shout out to two new boys.

Jackson - He is a Newfie cross, even though he is one years old already, his paws are still out of proportion to his body, maybe still a little growing to do? He is full of beans, that much I know. Also, when I went into his kennel to say hi whenever I squatted down he would try to climb into my laps.:laughing:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87982&result=4

Shylo - He is a Beagle, about four years old. Such a vocal little fellow. Looks handsome though, so hopefully he will find a new home soon.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87313&result=1

Shaykeija
March 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM
what a cutie...

growler~GateKeeper
March 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM
:thumbs up for Ramble & Gizmo

The two newbies are so cute :goodvibes: for them soon too

Scuba
March 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
The first dog I took out was one that I had actually met on Friday. Her name is Pepper. Her profile says, Pinscher and Doberman cross. Pepper looks like a tiny Rottweiler to me, she is so cute.:lovestruck: She is a senior already but is very playful and affectionate.

Since she is so adorable and I didn't get a chance to walk her last Friday, I picked her tonight. Her tail has been doc and her whole bum just wiggles when she wags her tail.:cloud9: Unfortunately I only had her for a little bit before I had to hand her off to another volunteer. They needed someone to walk Brewster.

Pepper's Profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=88917&result=8

Scuba
March 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Brewster tonight was pretty good. Didn't pull the "diva" move on me tonight even with the light rain. Still good at listening to directions before we crossed the street and stuff. Only acted goofy a few times tonight when he got really excited. Sometimes it was another dog he saw, a person that got his interest and one squirrel. The good thing is that if he acts up, as soon as you are firm with him, he listens.

The incident with the squirrel was the funniest. Brewster spotted the squirrel by a tree and just wanted to chase it. Of course with me on the end of a leash attached to him, he was not very quick on his feet. By the time we got to the tree the squirrel had ran up it already. Brewster tried to climb the tree, of course he was not very good at this but it didn't stop him from trying.

Then he decided, maybe barking at said squirrel will make it fall out of the tree.:laughing: When that didn't work, he tried jumping really really high to get the squirrel, whilst his athletic prowess was impressive it was no where close enough to catching the squirrel.

When I decided it was time to go, he acted like a big baby too. Got all whiny and sad barking. Big brown puppy eyes too.:D

All in all it was a pretty good walk.

growler~GateKeeper
March 16th, 2009, 11:50 PM
:goodvibes: for Pepper for a furever home soon

Brewster what a clown :crazy:

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Brewster and Cass would get along nicely! For a little girl, Cass can launch herself quite a ways up a tree if there's a squirrel involved! :laughing:

Scuba
March 21st, 2009, 01:59 AM
The usual coordinator tonight is also a staff member. Since this staff had a long day already and still had to prepare a lot of food for some of the dogs that just came out of the hospital (just routine spay and neuter). I decided I would help by coordinating tonight, so unfortunately no walkies for me.

Did get to interact with everyone and put them all to bed though.

Got quite a few slobbery kisses during the process. Especially when I was trying to get them leashed up and unleashed.

UPDATES:
Brewster got adopted
So did an English bull dog (never did learn his name)

Didn't see Jackson the Newfie either (forgot to ask about him, but I bet he went to a forever home too).
Buddy the big Rottweiler was gone too.

growler~GateKeeper
March 21st, 2009, 02:09 AM
:clap: :clap: YAY Brewster :fingerscr this is the furever home :goodvibes:

:thumbs up for the bulldog
:fingerscr that Jackson & Buddy were also adopted

Scuba
March 21st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Special mention to a few newer residents.

First is Cypress, she is a BC. Super energetic but lots of fun if you can keep up with her. She managed to head butt me a few times trying to kiss me.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89277&result=3

The picture in her profile, those are my legs!:D

Second mention goes to Razer. He is a 10 month old Black lab. He just got neutered today and should still be all doped up and loopy from all the drug but nope. He was about as hyper as any lab puppy could be, can't wait to see what he is like when he isn't on drugs. He managed to bash one E-collar in half already. I had to get another volunteer to distract him enough for me to put a new one on him. By bed time, he had put a crack in that one as well!

He wanted to give me lots of kisses too. No picture for him yet.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89395&result=9

growler~GateKeeper
March 21st, 2009, 02:14 AM
:lovestruck: Cypress is adorable :lovestruck:

I'll bet Razer is too :lovestruck:

Scuba
March 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Also want to do two special shout outs to Kai and Pepper.

Pepper is just so cute and adorable. Everyone thinks she is a sweetheart. I kept teasing her tonight as well. When she would wiggle her bum, I would keep putting my hand on her little tail stump to stop it from wagging and just before she turns around to look at what is happening I pull my hand away.:laughing:

She gave me quite a few kisses too.:lovestruck:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=88917&result=7

Kai came to the SPCA skin on bones but he has put on some weight now and is still gaining weight. His muscle tone is much better now. Everyone loves him, but at the same time they all want to get out of the way of his tail. That thing is like a weed whacker!:eek:

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87592&result=11

growler~GateKeeper
March 21st, 2009, 02:20 AM
Kai :lovestruck: what a cutie such a :sad: story :fingerscr he finds a furever home w/lots of spoiling soon

hazelrunpack
March 21st, 2009, 09:13 PM
A weed whacker! :laughing: Labs and bullies usually have those kinds of tails!

I'm having trouble with the links, though, tonight...so I can't see what Kai looks like :o

growler~GateKeeper
March 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM
A weed whacker! :laughing: Labs and bullies usually have those kinds of tails!

I'm having trouble with the links, though, tonight...so I can't see what Kai looks like :o

Hazel here's Kai :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
March 21st, 2009, 11:39 PM
Oh, he looks sweet!! :lovestruck: And red is so very definitely his color!!! :thumbs up

Scuba
March 24th, 2009, 01:12 AM
I got to walk some dogs tonight.:thumbs up

First a little update on Razer. He has a picture up on his profile now. You can still see where his belly and private bits been shaved.:laughing:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89395&result=9

Scuba
March 24th, 2009, 01:34 AM
First dog that I took out was a Mastiff cross girl puppy. I am not sure what she is crossed with, but she has webbed feet. Her name is Olive, and she is tan in colour.

She is such a cutie, I first met her last Friday but I didn't get to walk her so it was nice to be able to take her for a walk. Olive was a little bit hesitant about venturing out into the rain. But finally with some coaxing and cuddles she went for a walk with me. It was really funny, since once we got outside proper she took off like a windup toy.

Olive was hopping around and doing the zoomies (on a leash). She also shoulder checked me on my legs quite a few times to try and engage me into play with her. Basically she was trying to get me to chase her, I did a few times at first. Very big and exaggerated body movement but only at a jogging speed run after her. But I kept worrying that I would run over or into her. So in the end I just let her chase me instead. Once she was calm on leash again we went for a walk.

Then as we were getting underway into our walk, she shoulder checked me on my left side suddenly. However this time, she kind of bounced off my leg. Unfortunately she also bounced her head right into a tree that was next to us. I cringed when I heard her smack into it. It sounded really bad but Olive just acted like it was nothing and when I looked her over she just looked back at me with her big brown puppy eyes.

Since she appeared alright, we continued our walk. The whole time on the walk she was running around and hopping about like everything was fine. It wasn't until later when we had to cross one street and I looked down at Olive to give her the command "Sit" that I noticed she had a little cut on her left brow. There was some bleeding as well. After that, I took her right back to the shelter. Luckily quite a few of the staff were around and one of them took us to the SPCA hospital. Since it was after six thirty by then the Doctor had left already. But luckily there was lots of Vet techs and assistants around. Everyone knew Olive as well. :)

In no time, we had her all glued up. The whole time during treatment she thought we were trying to play with her, kept wiggling around. Then once she was all good, she started banging around the clinic. Ran into tables and door frames.:eek:

Apparently she is also going into foster on Wednesday!:thumbs up

Unfortunately no profile or picture yet.

Scuba
March 24th, 2009, 01:39 AM
After that, the only dogs that still hadn't been out were Sugar and Buttercup. So another long time volunteer who just came back with another dog took them out with me.

I had Buttercup. They were pretty easy to walk and there weren't any issues at all. Buttercup also had some nice firm poo for me.:thumbs up

Buttercup:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87344&result=8

Sugar:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87343&result=2

Basically the two of them are BFFs.

growler~GateKeeper
March 24th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Aww Razer is a cutie pie :lovestruck:

A little :grouphug: for Olive & her owie :thumbs up for the fostering

Would be nice if Buttercup & Sugar could go to their furever home together :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
That would be nice...the two BFFs adopted out together :cloud9:

Olive sounds like a real character! Poor boo boo face, though... :grouphug: for Olive...

Can't open the pics today, though...connection is reallly limping along :sad:

growler~GateKeeper
March 24th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Hazel here's Razer:

Buttercup:

Sugar:

hazelrunpack
March 24th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Aw, Buttercup and Sugar! :flirt: I love Buttercup's wild 'do'! :lovestruck:

Razor looks like a sweetheart, too--he's got very soft eyes! :cloud9:

Thanks, growler!!! :thumbs up

Scuba
March 28th, 2009, 12:47 AM
I found out at the last minute that I was going to coordinate tonight!:eek: Turns out the head coordinator had tried to call me but my cellphone battery had died so I didn't know there was a call for me. A message was left for me but since my phone was pretty much a paper weight by then I found out what was going on when I got to the shelter.

Luckily I got there a little ahead of time and even with a little rain, most of the usual Friday evening volunteers showed up. Still had some juggling and shuffling to do but in the end some how I managed (surprised myself).

Special thank you to three angels :angel2::angel2::angel2:, without their help I would have been totally hooped. I will try to remember to bring cake for everyone next Friday.

Scuba
March 28th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Since I was coordinating, I didn't really get to walk any dogs. Did get to put everybody to bed and interact with them though.:thumbs up

Razer: Didn't see him, so hopefully he has gone to a forever home.:fingerscr

Some of the stuff that happened:

Al is a golden retriever cross. No picture for his profile yet. This poor guy just got neutered today, he was really nervous and shy. Finally one of my angels managed to coax him out for a walk. Unfortunately he wanted to lick and scratch his stitches. In the end I had to put a cone on him. He didn't want to go back into his kennel either. Afterwards he was shooting some mighty powerful stink eyes at us.

I felt bad, since Al was clearly confused and didn't know what was happening. But it was all for his own good so I hope he will forgive me.:goodvibes:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89924&result=6

There was a new resident, a huge Great Pyrenees cross. All white in colour, his name is Snow. Such a handsome fellow, for a big guy he is really gentle and easy going.:lovestruck:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=88057&result=11

Scuba
March 28th, 2009, 01:00 AM
There were two other big boys as well.

Rocky:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86691&result=9

He is pretty easy going as well, likes his walks!:D

O'Malley:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89207&result=5

He is one big ball of fur!:eek:
One of my angels told me that he was easy to walk.:cloud9:

Scuba
March 28th, 2009, 01:03 AM
There was also this super cute Mastiff puppy, his name is Trouble. He is black with a bit of white on his chest. He is still really young, no profile for him yet. But he is going to be a big boy from the look of the size of his paws.

He was getting loads of hugs and cuddles. Super cute and lots of fun.

There were a few other dogs, but I am too tired to post about them all...

Scuba
March 29th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Normally I don't go to the SPCA shelter on the weekends, but since I didn't really get to walk a dog on Friday evening I thought I would make the trip. It was a nice sunny day too!:thumbs up

Some quick updates, Al was not pissed off at me anymore.:cloud9: Still a little bit nervous but he is getting more confident. Trouble is only two months old and hasn't been neutered yet so he is not up for adoption (hence no profile or picture).

First up was walkies with me was Lolita, I have "walked" her before. But previously it had always been in the evening and wet (raining or drizzle). She would always just go out, do her business and want to go right back to her kennel. Then she bounces off the walls when she see other doggies going out.:crazy: Since it was a nice sunny day, Lolita did not go into "diva" mode on me. It was actually a real pleasure to walk her. No problem with the sitting and waiting. Her leash manner was really good as well.:angel: Our walk was almost an hour long.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=81896&result=12

Scuba
March 29th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Then I got to take Trouble out! [dancing banana smiley]

He is such a little rascal, so cute and hyper. When I rolled up at 10 o'clock he was actually still in bed sleeping. Come 11, he was all revved up and ready to go. Found out that other than being part Mastiff, he is also part Boxer. So he definitely is going to fill out those paws of his.:D

Our walk out was really easy, he just kind of stumbled around my feet trying to sniff stuff. It was only on the way back that he wanted to pull! But it was a good opportunity for me to train him. I got him to "sit and wait" before we crossed the streets, the last couple of times he did it all by himself. Pulling on the leash was also getting better by the time we got back but it is something that he will need to be taught.

But I am guilty of letting him get away with a lot of naughty stuff too.:evil: Like letting him climb into my lap.:cloud9: He is just too cute, it is alright now when he is still a baby but I can imagine what a nightmare it would be when he is all grown up.

He is still kind of clumsy when he is running around and playing.:lovestruck:

Scuba
March 29th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I also found out that Olive, has not gone into foster yet. Turns out my clumsy girl had an upset tummy and has spent the last few days over at the clinic. I will still have a chance to play with her yet!:fingerscr

Did talk to the staff, the little cut on her eye brow is all better now.

geisha
March 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Your large breed dogs are gorgeous. I have a fondness for med/large & hairy & white breeds. (the Komodor/lab mix as well as the Great Pyr/sammy x) Just a question can someone from outside BC adopt one of your dogs? We live in Edmonton...

Scuba
March 31st, 2009, 01:24 AM
Your large breed dogs are gorgeous. I have a fondness for med/large & hairy & white breeds. (the Komodor/lab mix as well as the Great Pyr/sammy x) Just a question can someone from outside BC adopt one of your dogs? We live in Edmonton...

I will ask the staff for you, the next time I volunteer at the Vancouver SPCA shelter. I really don't know the answer to this one. However, we have had people adopt animals from the shelter that were in pretty far flung places within BC.

Scuba
March 31st, 2009, 01:29 AM
Updates:

O'Malley - He has been transferred to the Burnaby (city next to Vancouver) shelter.
Olive - She has gone to her foster home, didn't get to say my good byes.:sad:

I Got to the shelter really early this afternoon and kind of helped the staff out by walking a couple of dogs. They were busy talking to a couple who were interested in adopting Lolita.:thumbs up

Lolita
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=81896&result=11

Scuba
March 31st, 2009, 01:39 AM
The first dog that I took out for the afternoon was Bear. He is a black lab puppy/teenager (about 6 months old). He is pretty hyper, which is normal for his breed and age. We didn't really go that far, normally it is just a quick walk/bathroom break that the staff do with the dogs mid afternoon. We were out for about 20-25 minutes.

Bear was basically like the energizer rabbit, quite a few times I had to short leash him at the curb. He was picking up pretty quickly though "come to curb, sit down".:D

Otherwise, it was just a brisk and fast walk.

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=88647&result=10

After Bear, it was Buffy. He is a Bichon Frise, no picture or profile of him as he is not available for adoption yet. We also went out for about 20-25 minutes. His belly and legs got pretty muddy due to the rain though. When we got back to the shelter, I did dry him off and clean him up a little.

After that, I just chilled out in the reception for a bit and waited for six o'clock. I did play with Lolita for a bit.:lovestruck:

Scuba
March 31st, 2009, 01:51 AM
When actual volunteering dog walking time started I took out a few dogs that only staff/coordinators can walk. The usual Monday night coordinator was there (great person:thumbs up) so I took those dogs whilst the coordinator got the ball rolling with the other volunteers.

Afterward, I was a little tired so I swapped for a bit with the coordinator. The coordinator took Snow out whilst I took a breather and kept an eye on things back at the shelter.

Trouble kept himself in the back of the kennels and didn't seem to want to come out. Then I figured out why, he was cold!:eek: The back of the kennel is heated while the front is not. So, I found a nice red fleece lined coat for him. I just socialised with him at the shelter, had him on a leash as I was walking around. In the end I handed him off to a volunteer who had just come back with Bear. I figured the volunteer had earned the right to walk an easy dog!:laughing:

Then I just coordinated for a bit. When the normal coordinator came back, I took out Daniel. He is a BC puppy, not available for adoption though so no picture or profile. We only went for a short walk. After that I took Rocky, he is a big boy. We didn't go far either, he had been for a walk once already but I figured he could do with another one.

Rocky:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=86691&result=8

Also Al has got a picture on his profile now! Also he is most definitely no longer cross with me.:cloud9:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89924&result=5

Scuba
April 4th, 2009, 09:57 PM

I will ask the staff for you, the next time I volunteer at the Vancouver SPCA shelter. I really don't know the answer to this one. However, we have had people adopt animals from the shelter that were in pretty far flung places within BC.

I asked at the Vancouver SPCA location for you, yes you can adopt from out of province. Even out of country, but you need to go in person to the shelter and meet the staffs and animal. They have had people come up from Washington State and Alberta before. Rarely, but it happens. Also Snow is going to a home soon!:goodvibes:

Scuba
April 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I was too tired to do the updates last night so I am doing them now.

Al - He got adopted and has gone to a forever home. I am really glad that he before he left he didn't hold a grudge against me for putting a cone on him.:D
Lolita - She got adopted as well!

When I first got to the shelter, a volunteer (also a back up coordinator) was walking Pepper. When I went to say hi, Pepper gave my face a really good lick.:D

Turned out I was coordinating again, but I had help from the other back up coordinator so it was alright. There were a few dogs that could only be walked by staff or coordinators so it worked out well. I took them out whilst the shelter was left in charge to the other coordinator. Everybody got to go to the bathroom and a nice short (about 20 minutes) walk.

Got back and some of the dogs still hadn't been out yet, we had a full kennel. So, I took Kai out after I had put the other dogs away. Kai still looks skinny but he is actually doing really well. He is just lean and all muscles, his muscle tone is amazing. Good thing is that he has pretty good leash manners now. On out walk, there was a small off leash dog that charged at us and that barked at Kai. It even followed us (chased) across the street before it turned back. Kai was pretty calm about the whole incident and luckily nothing happened.

Later on in our walk, we saw a lady walking her cat on a harness and leash. I commented on how cool I thought it was. Her reply was "This is my dog." to which I replied "That is a funny looking dog!".:laughing: Before we went our separate ways her parting comment was "That is a good looking dog." to Kai.:cloud9:

Kai's profile: (There is a picture)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87592&result=11

PS. Finally tried out my own spliced rope leash. Worked well and no problems at all.

Scuba
April 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Some other updates about the shelter is that Trouble is now sharing a kennel with Buffy. They are getting along really well. I have walked Buffy before, but since he had a skin condition before he wasn't up for adoption and hence no picture or profile. Now he is all better, he is available for adoption!:thumbs up

It is great that Trouble gets to socialise with a dog and Buffy is good at teaching Trouble some basic manners. Like if Trouble gets too crazy and hyper in his face, Buffy would tell him off.:D It is actually pretty cute to watch them play and interact with each other.

Trouble is also doing great, already he is visibly bigger than when I first met him. He is most definitely heavier. He still likes to climb on my lap and cuddle.:cloud9::lovestruck:

Buffy's profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89246&result=2

Scuba
April 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I had to go to go the Vancouver Animal Control in the morning so stopped by the SPCA. Since I was there I took one dog out on a walk. Her name was Orianna. She is a brindle bully, pretty young. No picture or profile, at least none that I could find online. We had no issues at all on our walk. She sat for me no problem. Seems like a pretty easy going girl. Apparently she is going somewhere soon, no sure if it is a transfer, foster or adoption. I will ask for slightly more details when I get a chance.

She kind of reminds me of Sacha.:cry:

growler~GateKeeper
April 5th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Good news for Snow, Al & Lolita :highfive:

Scuba
April 8th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Monday, if most of you did not know I was pretty sick with a stomach virus. Therefore I didn't go volunteer as usual. However I was browsing the internet.

Orianna - Whom I walked on Saturday morning, now has a picture on her profile. Currently she has been transferred to the SPCA shelter in Burnaby (adjourning city to Vancouver).

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89061&result=5

Also found out about some of my girls from before. Louise is currently in foster with Bully Buddies and is available for adoption.

About half way down the page:
http://www.bullybuddies.net/adoptabledogs.htm

Daisy-Mae was being fostered through Hug A Bull, but has been adopted.

Almost the bottom:
http://www.hugabull.com/adoptable.shtml

I always wonder about those dogs that I feel I have made a real connection with whether they would remember me if I was to meet them on the street now.

growler~GateKeeper
April 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Excellant for Daisy-Mae :highfive:

:goodvibes: for Louise

Orianna is adorable :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for her

hazelrunpack
April 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I think they'd remember you, Scuba. In my experience, dogs have much better memories than humans do (or at least than senile ol' hazel has! :laughing:)

So many adoptions since I last checked in here :cloud9:

And Trouble! :flirt: I'm in love :lovestruck:

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I know I really shouldn't be spending time at the shelter, what with study and revision. But I needed a mental break, plus I was laid up in bed Monday evening so I was actually itching to see some of my doggy friends. Well, that and also drop off a leash that I made for one of the staff. Good thing I went since I caught her before she went away for the long weekend.

Kai - He got adopted! I am going to miss that boy.:sad:
Pepper - She got adopted as well. Going to miss her as well.

Forgot to ask about Sugar and Buttercup but I didn't see them at the shelter either. Most likely they have been adopted.

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 01:00 AM
After doing some little stuff to help around the shelter, I decided to hang around until dog walking hours started.

First dog I took out was Brewster. My old buddy Brewster is still pretty much the same. Trying to be clever and slick. But I kept a close eye on him and didn't let him get up to any of his old tricks. We went for a good hour long walk. I was just very firm and consistent with him through out. No problems at all. Brewster did want to play with two different kitties on our walk. The cats were none too thrill about the prospect so I didn't even let Brewster get close. I actually have it from a solid source that Brewster is good with cats. It just happened so that the two cats we encountered today didn't see things from Brewster's point of view and one ran away while the other I was sure would have gone all kung fu kitty.

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 01:06 AM
Afterward I took out a a boy named Shar, he is a GSD cross Rottie. Not sure what his exact age is, probably around one year old. Shar is a pretty strong boy and he pulls on leash. But I think it has to do with him not used to being walked on leash more than anything. With some training it should not be a problem.

I couldn't get him to sit for me every time I gave him the command but at least he would understand waiting patiently at the curb before crossing the street.

Shar's profile: (No picture yet)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=90748&result=4

growler~GateKeeper
April 10th, 2009, 03:04 AM
:clap: Yay for Kai :goodvibes:

:clap: Yay for Pepper :goodvibes:

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Since it was a statutory holiday today there is only volunteer dog walking in the morning. I showed up well ahead of time. Had a quick chat with some of the staff.

Sugar - Got adopted and went to her forever home.
Buttercup - Got adopted as well, unfortunately they did not get adopted by the same family. Main thing however is that they both have lovely homes now.

At 10:00 I was all ready to go but only one other volunteer came!:eek: No matter though, we soldiered on by ourselves.

The first dog I took out was Bear, he is a black lab cross male. Bear is a young adult and full of beans. He is pretty strong and right out the gate, he wanted to pull me down the street. But I managed to keep him under control. He was pretty good at the "sit and wait" for me. I got blindsided by a lady's off leash dog though. They came around a corner and her dog was off leash. This dog just ran up to Bear, whilst the lady was shouting "She is friendly!". Luckily for me nothing happened, but I had a real hard time keeping the two dogs separated. I tried to explain that Bear was a shelter dog and can't socialise under those circumstances. It wasn't until I mentioned that there was kennel cough at the shelter that she grabbed her dog. She did thank me for informing her and keeping the dogs separated, still it kinds of annoys me that I was put into that situation in the first place.

Bear later tried to eat a ball of cotton (or maybe it was stuffing from a toy) that he found in the street. Luckily I caught him doing it and when I went to reach into his mouth to take it away from him, he didn't put up a fight.:thumbs up

Bear's profile: (Picture)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=88647&result=7

PS. After walking Bear, I made one quick phone call to one of my buddy who is also a volunteer. Asked him to help me out!

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 06:56 PM
After Bear, I just went down the kennels by number and took Brewster out. He was pretty good for me today, occasionally he would balk at walking or on purposely not sit down when ask just to see what my reaction was. But mostly he was pretty good, by the end of the walk he was sitting all by himself without me needing to ask him.

He knows what is expected of him but he just likes to be clever and try stuff. However, he totally underestimated my patience. If he didn't sit, I would just turn around and approach the same curb again. Didn't matter to me if it was two goes or even three goes. By the end, he got with the program.:D

He still gets pretty wild when he sees squirrels. However birds of any kind he could not care less about.:shrug:

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Then it was a dog that just arrived on Thursday, does not even have a name yet. She is a husky cross of some type.

Had to look for a collar which would fit her. Walking on leash was no problem, she just does not seem to response to any commands. I didn't really work with her on those, since we didn't have many walkers I just wanted to concentrate on getting all the dogs out.

Did not encounter any issues on our walk, she didn't want to go back into her kennel though.:D

No profile of her yet.

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Then I took a five minute break to eat a sandwich and a drink of water. This was when the Monday coordinator showed up, he was bringing back a puppy that he had took out on a little field trip. When he saw the state we were in and after my plead for help. The two of us took out Zeus and Hercules.

These two tear away came to the Vancouver shelter from another shelter. Zeus and Hercules came together as a pair, most likely they have never been on a leash before. They are strong and pull like heck. During our walk, the two of them had a long drink at the water fountain in the park.

When we got back to the shelter, neither the Monday coordinator or I could tell who was who and which kennel they needed to be put back in. They look really similar except one has a white patch on the chest whilst the other does not. Unfortunately the pictures on their kennel don't show their chests!:yell: In the end, we just put them each into a kennel. Did not know if they went into the right ones or not. Even the staffs that were there today don't know which is which.:laughing:

Hercules:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87853&result=6

Zeus:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87852&result=5

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM
After that, with the help of my buddy who had showed up, the other volunteer and the Monday coordinator we managed to walk everyone.:thumbs up

Only dog left was in ISO, O'Malley. He had been transferred to Burnaby but came back since he was feeling a little under the weather. At the Vancouver location, we have an ISO kennel and the clinic is right next door.

I don't know if he remembers me or not, but I got the Lupi on him no problem and off we went. We just went on a nice 40 minutes walk. He poo was really nice and firm as well. Just a little cough that was all.

Still no picture of him though.

O'Malley:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89207&result=3

Scuba
April 10th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Just a shout out to my boy Lincoln the tripod. He has a new picture on his profile now.

Lincoln:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=84686&result=2

Trouble (Cupcake) was doing very well and was very affectionate and playful. Unfortunately I didn't get to walk him today. Still no profile for the little mischief though. He is super cute and adorable, however I still don't like his new name "Cupcake".:frustrated::rolleyes:

PS. My buddy, who showed up after getting my call got to walk Trouble. Afterward I took him out to lunch for the help.

hazelrunpack
April 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Job well done under less than ideal circumstances! :highfive:

My money goes on Hercules as the one with the white chest! :D madame hazel's crystal ball confirms it! :thumbs up :laughing:

growler~GateKeeper
April 11th, 2009, 01:49 AM
YAY for Sugar & Buttercup on their furever homes :clap:

Busy morning for you :highfive: good job

Scuba
April 14th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Some updates first:

Shar now has a picture on his profile.
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=90748&result=4

O'Malley also has a picture on his profile now. (Still in ISO)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89207&result=3

Got to the shelter really early today, had to get there before the staff took off since the shelter was still technically closed for Easter Monday. However since a lot of the volunteers had to work it was decided to hold an evening walk, just had to get the timing down with the staff.

First up for a quick walk with me was Bear (Fluffy Bear - there are currently two Bear at the shelter). The Monday night coordinator wanted to take some pictures of fluffy Bear so I had him on a leash for a photo session. Since he was out already, I decided to take him for a short walk. He was very easy on leash, no issues at all.

Bear's profile (fluffy one):
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87756&result=7

Scuba
April 14th, 2009, 01:30 AM
After Fluffy Bear I had Hercules for a walk. This boy is still a total doofus and goof ball. Likes to pull on leash and is really strong. But he isn't being difficult, more a case of not knowing any better. We are working on it, on the way back to the shelter he did walk a lot better on the leash. The initial bit out the gate was a good work out for me.

Hercules is otherwise a all around good boy, still needs work on his commands and stuff. He doesn't always sit when asked. One thing I have noticed he likes to do when we are stopped at the curb, he likes to place one paw on the top of one of my foot. I have no idea why he does this, one thing I do know is that he is heavy.:D He won't do it everytime but he does it on a regular basis.

He also bumped his head on a truck bumper trying to sniff something in the gutter.:eek: Didn't seem to faze him at all though and nothing like what happened with Olive.:goodvibes:

Hercules:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87853&result=5

PS. Hercules's brother Zeus got adopted!

Scuba
April 14th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Then it was Brewster's turn for a walk. I got the halti on him no problem and I think I have finally figured out how to use that thing. Before, I might put it on right once out of ten times by accident. Tonight I finally figured it out, practice makes perfect.:thumbs up

Our walk was not very long, I had Brewster walking fine at the start but part way through our walk. The clown acted up for no apparent reason. He started to chew and gnaw the leash. Wouldn't stop when I asked him either. Luckily, I was close to the shelter and another volunteer saw what was happening and got the coordinator for me. With the coordinator's help I got Brewster back to his kennel. So, his walk was kind of short, but he did get to go both number 1 and 2.

Scuba
April 14th, 2009, 01:47 AM
My last dog of the evening was Bear (other one). Bear was full of beans tonight and just all hyped up to go. Occasionally there is some tension in the lead but Bear is not too bad to walk compared to a lot of others that I have encountered. He has got a pretty good range of commands too. Also he "sits and waits" really well for me before crossing streets. A lot of time he will sit all by himself before I even ask.:thumbs up

Only thing I noticed was the goof ball was really interested in all the garbage and trash in the gutters tonight.:shrug::rolleyes: That and splashing and drinking the dirty puddles.

He also tried to eat some dirty klennex or serviettes that was on the ground on two separate occasions tonight. Luckily I was able to get a hold of him and take it out of his mouth both times. He was not happy with me taking away his yummy thing but at least he had no issues with me reaching into his mouth. I also gave him a good rub and scratch just before we got back to the shelter.

Hercules managed to bump his head on a truck bumper, well tonight Bear managed to walk right into a lamp post.:eek::rolleyes: So much for "Labs are smart".

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=88647&result=6

rainbow
April 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM
WOW ....lots of beautiful big dogs at the shelter right now. :lovestruck:

I noticed that Shar's profile said that he's not neutered ....I thought they didn't adopt them out unless they were spay/neutered? :confused:

Scuba
April 14th, 2009, 02:09 AM
WOW ....lots of beautiful big dogs at the shelter right now. :lovestruck:

I noticed that Shar's profile said that he's not neutered ....I thought they didn't adopt them out unless they were spay/neutered? :confused:

Hmm...I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Shar is most definitely fixed, he is missing his bits. It is probably a typo that no body caught. I will mention it to them tomorrow.

Scuba
April 17th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I did not go to the shelter this Friday night (17th of April 2009), had to go look for a new bicycle.

I did however look on the SPCA website. Hercules has a new picture on his profile that shows of his handsomeness much better.

Hercules's profile with a new picture:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=87853&result=7

Scuba
April 20th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Finally got a picture of Trouble (Cupcake) to share with everyone, his profile is online now!:thumbs up

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=91350&result=7

hazelrunpack
April 20th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Oh, he's a cutie, Scuba!! Looks like he has long lashes to bat at all the ladies... :flirt:

But whoever is lucky enough to adopt the little guy is gonna hafta ditch that 'Cupcake' moniker! :laughing: Maybe Romeo or Horatio, but never 'Cupcake'!! :p

Scuba
April 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hazel - Yupe, he is definitely a cutie for sure.

Updates:
Since I had been away a while a lot has happened.

Hercules - Got adopted.
Bear - Wasn't at the shelter tonight, probably adopted.
Fluffy Bear - Was not at the shelter either, most likely adopted as well.

O'Malley - Came out of ISO, he is all better now!:thumbs up

Scuba
April 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM
Apparently whilst I had been away, Mr. O'Malley got all better. The thing is that he is now full of beans and is not being a good boy for the ladies on walks now.

So, I decided to take him out so that the other volunteers didn't need to walk a puller. Right out the gate O'Malley just wanted to run. He also gets really fixated on other dogs that we see during our walk. This boy is definitely back to 100% health. Whilst in ISO, he was so easy to walk. No pulling at all and would walk right beside you. Now he is such a goof.:crazy:

Tonight O'Malley walked right into a tree.:eek::laughing: What is it with dogs that bump their heads and me lately.:confused: We were just walking along and O'Malley caught sight of a dog on the other side of the street and kept looking at that dog whilst continuing to walk forwards. I saw that he was about to walk into the tree and stopped walking right away, I was about to short leash him and give him a verbal warning. However, I was just a fraction of a second too slow and the poor guy smacked himself on the side of the head. I did check him over and he appeared to be alright.

We almost had an encounter with a grey kitty tonight, kitty came out of a gate in a yard. Saw O'Malley, and ran back towards that house. Luckily O'Malley was really good and didn't want to chase the cat.:thumbs up

http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89207&result=2

Scuba
April 21st, 2009, 12:51 AM
After O'Malley I headed over to ISO to walk the two dogs that were there.

First was my old buddy Brewster, he was really good with me tonight. Didn't act up at all and no goofing around. Just a nice walk and he was really sweet tonight, wanted to help me tie my shoelace by sticking his face in my face. That and put his tongue into my ear!:eek:

After Brewster it was a sweet PBT cross girl named Powder, she is white with one brown ear and some spots. Her eyes are dark brown. She was a real sweet heart as well. No issues on our walk either. I wanted to walk at least half an hour with both of them but I could tell Powder had enough after about 20 minutes so we just headed back to the shelter. Next time perhaps she will be better and we will be able to have a longer walk.

growler~GateKeeper
April 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
:thumbs up for Hercules, Bear & Fluffy Bear

:goodvibes: Brewster & Powder getting better soon

:fingerscr for O'Malley & Trouble for their furever homes soon

Trouble is so cute :lovestruck:

hazelrunpack
April 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
Aw, poor Brewster! Wasn't he in ISO a while back, too?

Hope he's better soon--Powder, too! :goodvibes:

And congratulations to all the pups in their new furever homes!!

rainbow
April 21st, 2009, 02:06 PM
YAY for the adoptions. :highfive:

Glad to hear that O"Malley is better now :thumbs up ....it sounds like he is a lovebug but is going to need an experienced owner to adopt him. :fingerscr

Hope that Brewster and Powder are out of ISO soon. :goodvibes:

Trouble is too cute :lovestruck: but sure wish they wouldn't call him Cupcake. :rolleyes: And, I really hope he doesn't get used to the name before he is adopted. :eek:

Scuba
April 25th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Tonight I was coordinating so did not get to walk any of the dogs.

UPDATES:
Both Powder and Brewster are out of ISO.

Trouble (Cupcake) - Got adopted!:thumbs up

It was a busy night but with the help of a few regular volunteers, it went pretty smoothly.

I just wanted to put in a special mention to a lady named Leanin, she is a Husky/GSD cross. I had walked her before, but previously she did not even have a name. It just said Vancouver on the top of her profile. She was very shy and fearful when I first met her a couple of weeks ago. Now she is doing much better and has a name as well!:thumbs up

Leanin:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=90743&result=12

Scuba
April 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Also there are quite a few puppies that came in, no pictures yet. They are so cute and adorable. It is really entertaining to watch them play. The puppies go full throttle when they play, then all cuddle together on the bed for a nap afterward.

I asked one of the volunteers if she wanted me to just lock her in with the puppies for the evening.:D She actually took the time to think about it!:eek:

growler~GateKeeper
April 25th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Wonderful news for Trouble :highfive: - I knew it wouldn't take long for that cutie :goodvibes: in his furever home

Puppies :cloud9: :lovestruck:

rainbow
April 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM
WOO HOO for Trouble/Cupcake getting adopted :highfive: .....hopefully now he will get a better name. :D

Glad to hear that Powder and Brewster are now out of ISO ....hope they find forever homes soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Scuba
April 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
The regular Monday night coordinator had to run an errand and would be a little bit late and had told me in advance. Therefore I kicked off the dog walking session for the evening. With the nicer weather and longer day there were lots of walkers and there were no issues. No one in ISO either.:thumbs up

Of the five puppies, three of them got transferred to another SPCA shelter. There are only two left, they are still really cute!:D Since they are still really young and haven't had all their shots yet. I just let a few volunteer play with them in the socialisation room. One of them got really nervous with me and had a little pee.:rolleyes: But I didn't mind, they are just so cute they could probably get away with anything.

They have also got names now.

Venus (nervous peeing puppy)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=91715&result=6

Saturn
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=91716&result=7

PS. Unfortunately no picture yet.

rainbow
April 28th, 2009, 01:59 AM
YAY for no ISO doggies. :thumbs up

Do the puppies look like German Shepherds? Did the mom get surrendered as well?

Looking forward to the pics. :goodvibes:

Scuba
April 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Once the regular coordinator arrived I took out a 2 year old tan/white girl named Eve. Her breed is just listed as not specified cross.

She was so vocal when she saw all the other doggies going out with volunteers. I kept her company whilst cleaning the kennel but I guess it just wasn't the same. But in the end she got to go out with me.

Eve was pretty good, she does not seem to know any commands but will follow directions and listen or watch for what you want. Couldn't get her to sit for me before crossing the streets but by the end of our walk, she could understand that I want her to at least wait calmly before we could proceed. Poor girl also had an upset tummy and couldn't have any treats.

She got all hyper and excited after she pooped for me.:crazy: Eve actually got a little too excited and became a bit of a brat. But once I was firm with her, explaining what was acceptable behavior to her, she listened.

I look forward to walking her again. Will also continue to work with her so that she knows the rules to being a good dog!:dog::)

Eve's profile (there is a picture)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=90348&result=1

Scuba
April 28th, 2009, 02:03 AM
YAY for no ISO doggies. :thumbs up

Do the puppies look like German Shepherds? Did the mom get surrendered as well?

Looking forward to the pics. :goodvibes:

The puppies have GSD type coats, but the markings are a little funky looking. Their ears haven't perked up yet, still a little floppy. Mom is also a GSD cross, she does not look like a pure breed GSD herself. So I have no clue what the babies will look like when they are grown.

Either way, mom is friendly and babies are cute.:thumbs up

rainbow
April 28th, 2009, 02:12 AM
So mom got surrendered as well ....did they move some of the pups to another shelter cuz you didn't have room there?

Eve looks pitbull cross and she is a cutie :lovestruck: ....love her smile. :cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
April 28th, 2009, 02:28 AM
PS. Unfortunately no picture yet.

:yell: I clicked on the link expecting puppy pics :sad: then I read :rolleyes: no picture *sigh*

:laughing: I will wait :angel:

Once the regular coordinator arrived I took out a 2 year old tan/white girl named Eve. Her breed is just listed as not specified cross.

Oh isn't she just the cutest pittie mix :lovestruck: they probably didn't want to list her as such what with all the negative press lately :sad:

Scuba
May 2nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
I got there right at 18:00 tonight, didn't have a chance to talk to the staff so I don't have the big picture of what is going on.

Leanin - She was not at the shelter. Most likely adopted.
Brewster - Gone into long term foster.
GSD cross mommy - Doing behavioral assessment at another shelter.
Five Puppies - Four got adopted already. Only one little guy left, everyone loves him. I don't think the staff actually want to see him go.:D

First up for walks with me tonight was Eve. She was a gem tonight. No issues at all and she actually sat for me quite a few times when I asked her to. Still got a bit of a clown in her though, she would have sudden bouts of running circles around me.:crazy::laughing: Also her poo is nice and firm now!:thumbs up I am a total loser, I get excited if the dogs have a good poo.:loser:

Eve's Profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=90348&result=1

PS. Another crazy thing that Eve tried to do tonight was when a bee flew pass her head, she tried to snap at it! Good thing she missed though.

Scuba
May 2nd, 2009, 12:45 AM
Second dog to go for a walk with me tonight was Neeko. I have known her for over a week now, just never had the chance to walk her. Just been sending her out for walks with other volunteers. She is six years old GSD/Wheaten Terrier cross.

Neeko was also no problem, also sat for me most of the time when I asked her to. Our walk was relaxed and unhurried, no pulling on the leash at all. Her poo was also nice and firm!:thumbs up

Neeko's Profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=91044&result=4

hazelrunpack
May 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
(hazel etal also get excited about good poos! :laughing: And hazel and mr hazel have been known to have exciting dinner conversations about said poos.

hazel and mr hazel rarely get dinner guests anymore :o

:p)

rainbow
May 2nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
YAY for Eve's good poop. :highfive: And, all good dog/cat owners get excited about their fuzzbutts perfect poops so you're not a :loser: at all. :D

I also have a bee/wasp snapper here too. :frustrated: Always make sure we've got a fresh supply of Benadryl "just in case". :rolleyes:

Poor Neeko .....another "we're moving and the dog gets dumped" case. :sad:
I sure wouldn't have guessed wheaton terrier as the second breed. :D

Good luck to both of them finding forever homes. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Scuba
May 5th, 2009, 01:09 AM
The last puppy has gone into long term foster! His name is Neptune, one of his sister is Saturn and another sister is Venus. Mom's name is Star, so I guess they kept with a celestial theme.

Mom's profile: (no picture yet)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=92332&result=5

I did not see Shar today and forgot to ask about him, but most likely he got adopted.:fingerscr

Scuba
May 5th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I had Eve out first, tonight she was pretty well behaved. No major dramas or anything. She sometimes still acts a little silly and like to do that PBT thing where they lay down and don't want to budge if they can't get their way.:rolleyes::D

Eve still won't sit by herself but will do it most of the time when I ask her to.:thumbs up

Eve's profile:

Scuba
May 5th, 2009, 01:20 AM
The next girl I walked is a stray, doesn't even have a name yet. She is black with a bit of white on her chest. She is also lacking a tail. No idea what breed she is. Was no issue to walk her, she behaved perfectly.

No profile yet! Hopefully it stays that way.

growler~GateKeeper
May 5th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I'm sure those puppies will be in their furever homes soon :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Good luck to the pups! :goodvibes:

The new stray has no tail? Think she lost it in an accident, or do you think she was born that way? :eek:

Scuba
May 5th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Good luck to the pups! :goodvibes:

The new stray has no tail? Think she lost it in an accident, or do you think she was born that way? :eek:

It looks like one of those Rottweiler stumps. Not sure if it was docked or if she was born that way. Still pretty cute to watch that thing wiggle from side to side though.:D

rainbow
May 6th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Star is beautiful :lovestruck: and glad to hear that Neptune is in a foster home. :thumbs up I hope they both get adopted soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Also, hope the right family comes along for Eve. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

So, is the stray young or older? Drop or prick ears? Good luck to her as well. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Scuba
May 16th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Rainbow - The stray has drop ears, her name is Skeeter now. Not sure on the age, probably a young adult.

Skeeter's Profile: (there is a picture)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=92170&result=10

UPDATES

Star - GSD mommy got adopted as well!

Scuba
May 16th, 2009, 03:33 AM
First dog I took out was Tilford, he is a black lab cross of some sort. Came in as a stray from North Vancouver. Age is estimated to be a young adult.

Tilford was very good for me tonight, no pulling on the leash at all and he walked on heel all by himself. Kept looking at me with his big brown eyes.:angel: He would also sit whenever I asked him to.:thumbs up I remember when I first met him a while ago, he was really over weight. He is still a little chunky but has definitely shed some weight. I can actually see his waist now. We had a nice leisurely walk and the weather was nice.

Tilford's profile: (Got a picture of the goof)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=91809&result=9

Scuba
May 16th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Next dog I took out was Cameron. She is a senior and was very easy going on our walk. No pulling at all, just likes to take it slow and easy. She has different colour eyes, which I always find really cool (I am simple that way:D). Her coat is all fluffy and soft.:cloud9:

We didn't go very far or long on our walk but it was most enjoyable.

Cameron's profile: (Picture shows her eyes really well)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89361&result=2

growler~GateKeeper
May 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Great news for Star :thumbs up

Skeeter (a name I think better suited to a boy :laughing:), Tilford & Cameron (I always associate as a boys name :laughing:) {wonder if they are making up for the Trouble/Cupcake name debacle :laughing:} are all cuties :cloud9: :goodvibes: for furever homes super quick

Scuba
May 23rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
Tonight I was mostly coordinating, the regular staff who coordinates tonight was busy getting Neptune ready for long term fostering. Neptune's ear have gone all perky, like mom's.:) Still a clumsy little klutz though.:crazy:

In the end I didn't actually manage to walk anyone tonight but its okay with me and there were only a few dogs at the shelter anyway.:thumbs up Everyone got an hour if not longer walk with their volunteers.

A dog that really stuck in my mind tonight was Harley. He was up in reception with the ladies for the day and didn't really want to walk. He did get a good brushing from the volunteers and the amount of hair that came out was significant. Nothing like another dog though, that guy's pile looked like a small dog. Harley seems to get along with everyone and is a very handsome fellow.

Harley's profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=93491&result=4

Scuba
May 23rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
Bruno has been at the shelter a couple of weeks now, he was really over weight but with a lot of walks and a healthy diet. He is doing much better now.:thumbs up I can actually see his waist today.:D

Bruno's profile;
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89914&result=6

growler~GateKeeper
May 23rd, 2009, 03:15 AM
Great to hear there are only a few dogs in the shelter right now :thumbs up :goodvibes: they get adopted soon

allfurlove
May 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Cameron is so pretty :lovestruck:
Nova, these shelter doggies are so lucky to have a great walker like you!! You are an :angel: for taking your time to spend with them, from making their stay fun and less stressful, to showing them manners that will help them get adopted and make the transition easier. :thumbs up You Rock!!

rainbow
May 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Star got adopted. :highfive:

Good luck to Neptune, Skeeter, Tilford, Cameron, Harley and Bruno. :goodvibes:

Scuba
May 26th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Got to walk some dogs tonight!

First up for walks with me was Tilford, he was all excited to go out and his tail was wagging like crazy. No issues at all, he was great at listening to me and walked right by my side the whole time.

Tilford's profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=91809&result=6
I love that photo of him on his profile. really shows of his personality.

Next up for walks was Neeko, she has lost quite a lot of weight compared to when I first met her. Still got a little ways to go before she is at her ideal weight though.:goodvibes: Neeko was very good at listening to me as well and even with a previous walk earlier was still very energetic. I am really happy with how she is doing right now.:thumbs up

Neeko's profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=91044&result=3

growler~GateKeeper
May 26th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Neeko looks like a calm relaxed dog, should make a wonderful companion for someone, hopefully soon :goodvibes:

:goodvibes: for cutie Tilford too

rainbow
May 29th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Tilford looks like he has a ton of energy and he is a handsome boy. :lovestruck:

Neeko's pic didn't show for me ....just got a red x. :shrug:

Scuba
May 30th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Tilford looks like he has a ton of energy and he is a handsome boy. :lovestruck:

Neeko's pic didn't show for me ....just got a red x. :shrug:

Neeko got adopted, the profile online won't work anymore. Hence you can't see the picture.:D

Scuba
May 30th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Updates

Neeko - Got adopted.
Plus lots of other dogs as well.

Walks:

Yeah, tonight I got to walk some dogs. First up was Harley, he is a two year old GSD boy. Harley is a big boy but walks well on leash. Pretty chilled out and relaxed with people.:thumbs up Our walk was only 30 minutes long. Harley just wanted to get back to the shelter! He spends the whole day behind the reception counter with the ladies so I can understand why he wanted to head back.

When we got back, someone had left a stuff toy dog in kennel one. Harley couldn't figure out if it was a real dog or not!:loser::laughing: It was so funny watching the big goof.

Harley's profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=93491&result=3

The puppy in kennel No.1

Scuba
May 30th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Next up was Evita, she is a GSD cross. Totally opposite personality to Harley's. Evita acts like she has got ADHD. She gets distracted by every little thing, it is so funny. But she also listens well when you ask her to do stuff.

Evita tried to eat a piece of chicken bone, but good thing I managed to stop her in time. Then near the end of our walk, she went all hyper and crazy when she saw a purple flowering hibiscus shrub (at least I think it was a hibiscus). She was barking at the flowers and jumping up and snapping at them with her teeth.:crazy::laughing: People must have thought we were both nuts.

It was nice to be able to finally walk her.

Evita's profile: (You can see my legs in the picture:p)
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=90957&result=2

growler~GateKeeper
May 30th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Harley's a handsome boy :lovestruck: :goodvibes: for a furever soon

:thumbs up great news on Neeko & others adoptions, if they've got kennel space to play with a stuffed puppy in there that means there's not many dogs looking for homes right now :thumbs up

Have you walked Joono (http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=92840&result=7) yet? He's so adorable :lovestruck: :cloud9:

rainbow
May 30th, 2009, 02:32 AM
YAY for Neeko :highfive: and the others. :thumbs up

Harley is a gorgeous boy. :lovestruck: What a crappy life he had :sad: .....I just don't understand how people can treat their pets like that. :frustrated: I hope he finds a great forever home soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
May 30th, 2009, 02:34 AM
You've got Harley's profile up for Evita too

Would be great if someone would adopt Evita & Harley together - they'd balance each other out ;)

rainbow
May 30th, 2009, 02:36 AM
You've got Harley's profile up for Evita too

That's what I was just going to say. :D

Scuba
May 30th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Fixed Evita's profile, should link to the correct page now!

Growler - Nope haven't had a chance to walk Joono yet. But I have interacted with him when I was coordinating before. He is pretty adorable.:lovestruck:

Scuba
June 6th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Updates

Harley - He is in foster now!

I was coordinating tonight and got to play with all the dogs!:D Most of them were just kind of laying about in the kennels today, not really wanting to do anything due to the heat.:rolleyes:

I also walked one dog right at the end. Her name is Pepper, she is a young boxer cross. Pepper was full of energy and eager to please. We didn't go for a long walk, just a short one but it was fun. She is super friendly.

Pepper's profile:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=93426&result=1

Scuba
June 6th, 2009, 02:14 AM
There was also a kiddie pool left out for all the canine residents. Most of them took full advantage of it. Cameron was the only one to climb into the pool and lay down in the water though.

Cameron:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=89361&result=2

Scuba
June 9th, 2009, 03:02 AM
There was another coordinator so I got to take some dogs for walks.:thumbs up

First up for walks was a white bulldog cross boy, name of Bruno. He is at the shelter because his owners could not afford vet costs. He is such a sweet boy but he is so confused and unsure of what is going on. At first he didn't want to go out for a walk so I just sat with him in his kennel. After a while he put his chin on my lap and I gave him a few good scratches. Knowing each other better, we decided to go for a walk. He is such a lovebug, kept wanting to walk right by my side. Leaning right into me. I had to stop and switch the sides I was standing on in relation to him otherwise I would trip over him. It was pretty funny, he would walk walk walk then start leaning. I would change sides and then he would come in from the other side.:eek::D:laughing:

He had the biggest saddest brown eyes, I just wanted to take him home.

Scuba
June 9th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Next up was Joono, finally got to walk my little buddy. He has got "sit and wait" down pretty good. Such a energetic and affectionate little guy. We walked pass quite a few cats and he didn't react at all.

When we got back to the shelter, he gave me a few "roo roos" and a slobbery kiss.

Joono:
http://bcspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=92840&result=7