Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I increase food amount?

Mgue
November 20th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Ozzy is a lab/cocker spaniel and he is almost 6 months old. He is 32.5 lbs right now, or just under 15 kgs.

We feed him Orijen puppy and the bag says for his age:
at 10-15 kgs, feed 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 cups a day
at 15-30 kgs, feed 3 1/4 to 4 cups a day

We feed about 2 1/2 cups a day (split evening for morning & evening) plus healthy treats (since we are training every day) and those chicken fillets from Costco (1-2 a day).

I'm wondering now that he is almost 15kgs, if we should be increasing his food amount. He isn't too thin or too fat. He gets about 2 - 3 walks a day (20 - 30 min) and plays inside.

Ozzy also whines to be fed, and I mean really whining & groaning. I don't know if he is truly hungry (which makes me think we need to feed him more) or if he's just being a lab. Ozzy could literally eat & eat until he croaked, he just loves food more than anything else so I know I could never feed him enough for his liking.

The price of dog food makes me not want to feed more, since he is at a healthy weight. But I'm wondering if the weight increase warrants an extra cup per day.

BTW, sorry my posts are always so long... I just try to give you all the info I can... :sorry:

kathryn
November 20th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Not too thin and not too fat is where you want to be. I've always been told that no, you should not increase feeding for dogs when they are at the proper weight. I work at a pet food store, but I'm more of a cat expert.

Maybe just feed a TINY bit more mid day. Like a 1/2 a cup at the most for a mid day snack. See how that works. I've been told puppies should be fed 3 times a day in most cases. So just add a tad bit more for lunch, and see how that goes, but the minute he starts looking chubby then cut back.

I don't measure my kitties food. I kinda just do what seems appropriate.

Mat&Murph
November 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I aggree with kathryn. It wouldn't hurt to give a half cup around noon. My guys are 8 months and I still feed them 3 times a day. (Mine are also alot bigger then your little one) But puppies are still growing. Just watch and make sure he doesn't start looking alittle chunky. then cut back. As far as the whining goes. My Matt flips everytime I mix food. He could have just eaten and still think he is hungry. Have to watch because sometimes a puppy doesn't know when to quit eating.

Mgue
November 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Yep, Ozzy could just eat & eat so we really have to restrict him. Which is why I have a hard time knowing if he's just hungry or just like that...

I also heard about 3x a day feedings, but our vet said twice a day would be good for Ozzy, so that's what we've done.

I'd love to give him a mid-day meal, but come Dec 1, Ozzy will be on his own during the day while we both work so we won't be able to keep up mid-day feedings.