Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Property lines/public roads?

bendyfoot
November 20th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Anybody know what the laws in Ontario are about where your property rights begin if you have property adjacent to a public road? Does your property go right to the road or is there a "buffer"?

Stacer
November 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
It probably varies from municipality to municipality, but generally the city owns a portion of most people's front lawns (access to underground utilities etc...). I think they measure a certain distance from the centre of the road (20 ft or something) and if your lawn falls within that distance the city owns it. I could be totally wrong though.

Melanie1010
November 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Typically the City willl own anywhere from 4-6 feet sometimes up to 12 feet of the front of your property. We install irrigation systems and we install on the "city" portion of peoples lawns, but if the city decides they want to put in a sidewalk, redo the sewers ect. ect. the homeowner is responsible for repairs since its technically on city property. You would have to call the municipality or check your original survey of the lot when you purchased the home to confirm the exact amount!

Love4himies
November 20th, 2008, 06:07 PM
It varies from municipality but there is always gov't land between the property line and the road. Where I live it is about 20 feet.

bendyfoot
November 21st, 2008, 08:32 AM
Ok, so if it's city-owned, does that give anyone the right to come on the property and do what they want with it? I ask because hydro has been coming around cutting down trees/branches that were interfereing with the hydro lines, and leaving the wood stacked for a period of time before removing it for chipping. A lot of people who heat with wood have been hauling it off to their own woodpiles, and we intended to do the same but haven't gotten around to it. Yesterday DW came home to find someone loading the wood off our lawn into their truck, and when confronted about it, said that because it was X feet from the road, that it wasn't our property and anyone was entitled to take it. Even if there's a 20 or whatever foot line from the road, is it just me, or is it rude to come onto someone's lawn and take stuff off it, even if it's just wood?:frustrated:

BenMax
November 21st, 2008, 08:37 AM
No it's not you...they are absolutely rude! Regardless if it is on city limits of your property, it is a question of 'class' to at least knock on your door to ask you if they may help themselves. Did he come with a yard stick to ensure he was not crossing the 'line'?

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 08:45 AM
They can't come onto your property, that is tresspassing, however if the wood is on public property they may have gotten permission from ON Hydro to retrieve the wood. I know that happened a year ago on the 1000island Parkway, except it was wood chips from cut trees.

bendyfoot
Yeah, DW had me on her cell phone asking me to look up the bylaw (couldn't find it)...this guy came in the middle of the afternoon, when we're usually at work, DW just HAPPENED to be home early that day and caught him in the act. He got all bullyish and then petulant, and was like, "well, I don't want to be a bad neighbour, so I can put it back if you want"...DW was so thrown she just told him to forget about it. Me, I would have torn a strip off him, then let Jaida out of the house to bark at him. :frustrated: I'm not 100% sure who it was, have some ideas, and feel like taking all the dogs down to his house, and letting them crap on the first 20 feet of HIS lawn, since, you know, it's public property and all. :evil:

BenMax
They can't come onto your property, that is tresspassing, however if the wood is on public property they may have gotten permission from ON Hydro to retrieve the wood. I know that happened a year ago on the 1000island Parkway, except it was wood chips from cut trees.

Do they have a written consent to present to the property owner?

Melanie1010
November 21st, 2008, 08:46 AM
BenMax is right! They dont have a right to come on your property (regardless of what the city portion is) to take something that doesnt belong to them. I remember hearing many times (and i dont know if its 100% true or what circumstances would affect it) but even going through people's trash at the curb is against the law. Unless there is a sign that says "Free" on it, people arent supposed to help themselves to whatever they may want to take. However, I wouldnt really know who would enforce that :shrug:

bendyfoot
November 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM
I seriously doubt he got permission, and I seriously doubt he was taking it off the longtime residents' lawns. I'm irate about it.

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
The wood chips were on municpal property, not on private property, but it did create a bit of fiasco, because property owners wanted it and anothers were going around with large utility trailers taking them. It was the people with the utility trailers that had permission from ON Hydro to take the chips.

BenMax
November 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
I seriously doubt he got permission, and I seriously doubt he was taking it off the longtime residents' lawns. I'm irate about it.

You have every right to be Bendyfoot...that just is not right.

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 08:50 AM
BenMax is right! They dont have a right to come on your property (regardless of what the city portion is) to take something that doesnt belong to them. I remember hearing many times (and i dont know if its 100% true or what circumstances would affect it) but even going through people's trash at the curb is against the law. Unless there is a sign that says "Free" on it, people arent supposed to help themselves to whatever they may want to take. However, I wouldnt really know who would enforce that :shrug:

I thought garbage that was taken to the curb was a free for all?

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 08:52 AM

Don't blame you, if that guy didn't have permission from ON Hydro, I wouldn't have been as nice as DW :evil:

bendyfoot
November 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM
DW figured out who the culprit is this morning, he lives around the corner from us one county road over. I already had a hate-on for this guy, despite never having met him, because he keeps his two dogs (a rottie and a pittie) on about 4 feet of chain tied to dog houses that sit on asphault:mad: But of course, they have "shelter food and water" so the SPCA won't do anything about it.

Trying to decide what to do about it...if I should go have a strong word with him.

Rainy
November 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Nope!Be the bigger man and let it go....The reason he was acting like an ass is probably because he felt stupid for getting caught!The best defense is offence,clearly when that didn't work he had to have felt like a bigger ass and that is why he said well he can put it back.Let it go.Peace and love and all that!:thumbs up

Chris21711
November 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
he because he keeps his two dogs (a rottie and a pittie) on about 4 feet of chain tied to dog houses that sit on asphault:mad:

Bendyfoot if the chain is only 4ft long then that is illegal under the spca act. Plus the doghouses have to be big enough for the dog to stand, turn around and lay outstretched, also they must be insulated and off the ground. So maybe there is grounds there for a visit from the spca.

bendyfoot
November 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Really? Maybe I'll try them again.... I hate seeing them there every single freakin' day. I dream about stealing them.

Chris21711
November 24th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Really? Maybe I'll try them again.... I hate seeing them there every single freakin' day. I dream about stealing them.

You may also want to check your towns by-laws, most of the towns around my area, state in their Animal Control by-laws that a dog may NOT be tethered LESS that 3 metres.

bendyfoot
November 24th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I've sent a report, thanks for the nudge!

bendyfoot
November 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM
They're going to go check things out, yay! I feel better knowing that someone's at least having a look...:cloud9:

It's hard, 'cause a lot of people out here have outdoor-only yard/farm dogs. I don't really like it, but they're usually big, double-coated dogs that have full roam of the property and a nice warm barn to hang out in. These are a rottie and I think a pitty mix, both short-haired and they're never off those darn chains.

Love4himies
November 24th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I hope the pittie mix is a legal one :eek:

I think keeping dogs chained up is no better than keeping them in a cage, cruel, cruel, cruel. :wall::sad::mad:

bendyfoot
November 24th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah I'm a little worried about that....I've never had a really good look at that dog, I'm only sure about the rottie. They used to have 2 rotts (which I'm pretty sure they were breeding:frustrated:).

I look at my three dogs all curled up cozy on their beds in the house and feel really bad for the dogs all around me that are outside in this weather.:sad:

AmericanBullMom
November 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Its so good that the SPCA is going to go out and take a look at these dogs!
I cant imagine leaving Patrón or Jackson outside even in our MILD winter weather! They such short coats! Patrón doesnt even LIKE going outside when its cold! UGH! I hope this man is fined, or better, imprisoned!

Chris21711
November 24th, 2008, 12:36 PM
They're going to go check things out, yay! I feel better knowing that someone's at least having a look...:cloud9:

:thumbs up Right on bendyfoot.

Its so good that the SPCA is going to go out and take a look at these dogs!
I hope this man is fined, or better, imprisoned!

Fat chance of that ABM - they will start by "educating" and issuing an order to comply :frustrated:

AmericanBullMom
November 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah I know, it was wishful thinking....:o

I can imagine a few things I's like to do to animal abusers... espeically the male ones.... :mwaha:

At least we can hope that maybe the SPCA people will open his eyes and he'll bring the dogs inside!

bendyfoot
November 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hopefully some good will come of it. :fingerscr