Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Keely is getting Spayed!

babymomma
November 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Keely is getting spayed on friday. And Its very lucky, because school is closed on friday!! :D So i can go with her and drop her off and then pick her up!

Ive gotten some really good advice on what to do with her after surgery. Im very worried about it though, i have no experiance with it, nor does my mom. My dad does, his dogs were always spayed/nuetered, but hes in alberta! :wall: Im still very worried! What should i expect? Im sooo scared! Ive been stressin' ALLL week about this, but it is something that has to be done, im not going to support the pet overpopulation (Besides, we have to get her spayed even if we didnt want to, we signed a contract:thumbs up)

Heres the info ive gotten from Hazel..Does ANYBODY have anything else to add, anything that i should expect?

About the post-surgical care, though--honestly, the two main things are to keep her from licking the incision and from playing too hard. The incision actually gets itchiest about Day 5-7 post-op and that's when they're most likely to try to lick or bite at the stitches. If you have a cone handy, that would be good. You might need it!

She'll likely come home with some pain meds. If not, ask for some because they can help with the itching, too.

The incision needs to be kept clean and as dry as possible (if it gets wet from dew, just pat it dry).

And try to limit her activity for a few days.

That's about all there is to it. The first few days are always sort of stressful for us cuz all our dogs are lickers/chewers and they need a lot of supervision, plus they want to play and it's hard to keep them separate--but that shouldn't be a problem with Keely cuz she's an only girl.

--Excerpt from Post-operative care in a nutshell by madame hazel

Thanks alot,
A very very stressed out Jessica and an unsuspecting Keely:sad:

aslan
November 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM
aaaw she'll be just fine BM, a little buzzed when she gets home so don't panic that she's kinda sleepin more. Hazel pretty much covered it. If you use the evil satelitte dish collar make sure you don't take your eyes off her too long if you have it off.

babymomma
November 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
aaaw she'll be just fine BM, a little buzzed when she gets home so don't panic that she's kinda sleepin more. Hazel pretty much covered it. If you use the evil satelitte dish collar make sure you don't take your eyes off her too long if you have it off.

Thanks aslan.. She will definatly NEED to keep the evil satelite dish on At almost ALL times.. Shes a licker, When the grromer cut her quick, Keely licked it and licked it and it bled 4 hours after it was cut. So i know already its an essential tool.

Will i have to clean around the incision area? Or is that a no-no?

aslan
November 19th, 2008, 05:31 PM
you shouldn't really have to, they usually coat the incision with iodine. If it's all caked with blood then you could gently wipe the worste off, just don't wipe the actual incision or stitches.

Love4himies
November 19th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I don't have any doggy advice but did want to wish Keely a speedy recovery.

I am sure everything will be fine. :grouphug:

kathryn
November 19th, 2008, 08:07 PM
It's a piece of cake. I've virtually seen every possible complication (including... you know.. passing away) from spay/neuter surgeries from working in clinics and hanging around vet techs and stuff like that. I am 100% pro-spay/neuter. There is a risk with EVERYTHING, BUT I really want to tell you Keely has a better chance of dying from pyometra or heck, getting hit by a car (sorry I'm not trying to put bad thoughts in your head!!!) then having a severe complication from the surgery.

Yeah... I don't want to freak you out by making you think omg omg omg, but really, trust me, it's sooo simple and yeah, complications are rare.

I assume she's been in for checkups and everything. If her heart and lungs are strong, and since she's young, she will be okay.

I don't exactly know much about fixing dogs of course, but I assume it obviously is not much different then fixing a kitty. All the junk should be in about the same place. So yeah, it's all good :thumbs up

So yup, I'm not going to lie, I have seen a kitty pass away right infront of me after getting spayed (she was allergic to the anesthesia), but I've also seen HUNDREDS of other kitties be perfectly fine after getting fixed! Same applies to dogs! It's all good! Don't fret on it at all. Keep an eye on her and give her lots and hugs and kisses!!

Karin
November 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Do not humanize her. She will only work you into a stress mode. She will be fine by the next day. Let her be lazy on the day she comes home. Follow the vet's instructions.

Frenchy
November 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Follow Hazel's advice , she can't lick herself , and play too hard. Get the cone collar at the vet (under $10.00) and make her wear it. It sucks but it's for her own good. You can take it off only when you're supervising her.

Believe me , it's harder on us than it is on them !

babymomma
November 20th, 2008, 12:14 PM
you shouldn't really have to, they usually coat the incision with iodine. If it's all caked with blood then you could gently wipe the worste off, just don't wipe the actual incision or stitches.

K, thanks Again aslan!:thumbs up

I don't have any doggy advice but did want to wish Keely a speedy recovery.

I am sure everything will be fine. :grouphug:

Thanks L4H, Here i am again with tears in my eyes.

It's a piece of cake. I've virtually seen every possible complication (including... you know.. passing away) from spay/neuter surgeries from working in clinics and hanging around vet techs and stuff like that. I am 100% pro-spay/neuter. There is a risk with EVERYTHING, BUT I really want to tell you Keely has a better chance of dying from pyometra or heck, getting hit by a car (sorry I'm not trying to put bad thoughts in your head!!!) then having a severe complication from the surgery.

Yeah... I don't want to freak you out by making you think omg omg omg, but really, trust me, it's sooo simple and yeah, complications are rare.

I assume she's been in for checkups and everything. If her heart and lungs are strong, and since she's young, she will be okay.

I don't exactly know much about fixing dogs of course, but I assume it obviously is not much different then fixing a kitty. All the junk should be in about the same place. So yeah, it's all good :thumbs up

So yup, I'm not going to lie, I have seen a kitty pass away right infront of me after getting spayed (she was allergic to the anesthesia), but I've also seen HUNDREDS of other kitties be perfectly fine after getting fixed! Same applies to dogs! It's all good! Don't fret on it at all. Keep an eye on her and give her lots and hugs and kisses!!

Its not so much the surgery im worried about (yes, i have a little bit of worry about it in the back of my mind, but i assume thats normal) Im worried about the after care. Even though ive gotten great advice, i still fell clueless.. Ive never dealt with this before, and have never seen a dog/cat after a spay in real life (Ive watched tonns of documenteries on it, accually saw the procedure done in one of them) so, i assume its normal to be a little freaked out about it for your first time.

Do not humanize her. She will only work you into a stress mode. She will be fine by the next day. Let her be lazy on the day she comes home. Follow the vet's instructions.

K thanks. I tend to drill what ever the vet says to me into my head so i dont forget ANYTHING.. lol.. Ive always been a worry wart:o

babymomma
November 20th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Follow Hazel's advice , she can't lick herself , and play too hard. Get the cone collar at the vet (under $10.00) and make her wear it. It sucks but it's for her own good. You can take it off only when you're supervising her.

Believe me , it's harder on us than it is on them !

Thanks frenchy, I beleive you, its already hard on me and she hasnt had it done yet.. TOmorrow im going to try and be as calm as possible. Im going to TRY really hard not to cry until ive left her and go out in the truck.. But of course its going to be reaalllyy hard to do so!

babymomma
November 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Since keely wont be able to play much for the next week or so, i have brought her best friend up (A GSD x names kacee) And they just came in from a hike up in the woods and a run around the yard chasi'n each other.. they are both beat out and asleep in my recliner chair and when they wake up we will be going for another trek in the trails and then another chase in the yard, then we'll bring kacee home!

kathryn
November 20th, 2008, 03:27 PM
The aftercare is easy. Just remember, we are here for you. If you are sitting there and are like ahhh what do I do now keely pulled a stitch or something, just ask us!!! I'm on here alot as you can see, so just message one of us!!!

Here are my post surgery instructions from my shelter

Feed your pet a small meal and water when you get home. Do not be alarmed if he/she doesn’t eat the first day.
Your pet may be drowsy from the anesthesia. This may last from 24-48 hours depending on the individual animal. Some animals may shiver and have an upset stomach.
Keep your pet in the house. Do not let your pet run around the yard for one week. Debris, dirt, germs or damage by flies could harm the surgery area. We suggest walking dogs on a leash for the first week.
Confine cats to one small room for the first night or until eating and drinking.
We suggest shredded newspaper on top of kitty litter for cats for three days.
Female animals may have some swelling under the incision due to an internal layer of absorbable sutures.
Male dogs may experience a fluid build up in the scrotum which contained the testicles. If swelling develops, please notify us immediately.
Don’t bathe your pet until for at least one week. Pets should not wear flea collars for at least one week.
Male cats have internal sutures only.
Your pet will gradually return to his/her normal activity level over 2-4 days.

ABSORBABLE SUTURES: Your pet does not have to return, however sutures must stay in for seven days.
ABSORBABLE SUTURES CAN TAKE 2-4 MONTHS TO FULLY DISSOLVE.
Pets should be observed for excessive licking or chewing especially in male dogs.
An E-Collar is recommended to prevent your pet from taking out their own stitches. The collar should be fitted to extend three inches past the nose. AWA offers collars at a non-refundable fee of $15. Collars are also available at your local pet store.

I would like to add one thing I learned that everyone could benefit, check your animals gums after ANY kind of surgery. Make sure they are pink and healthy looking. Blue gums = emergency. So, just something I'd thought I could pass on that's sort of a behind the scenes type thing.

babymomma
November 20th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Thank you SO SO SO SO SOOOOO much kathryn!!!! That info is sooo helpful! Again THANK YOU!! :D

I have another question. we are planning on putting up out christmas tree this weekend, because my brother wont be home for christmas(:sad:) and he wants to have christmas dinner and and open his gifts before her goes back to alberta. Will this stress her out to much? I've put my christmas tree up in my room and she just sat there and watched me and played with a few ornaments, so it wont be too different for her. Should we go ahead and do it anyways or not? I dont wanna do anything to upset her.

babymomma
November 20th, 2008, 05:41 PM
BTW- Im already feeling ALOT more confident and comfortable about tomorrow and the after care.. Thank you ALL so much for your help!

Love4himies
November 20th, 2008, 07:46 PM
You are staying home or going elsewhere for Christmas? If staying at home I would say that is no problem, she'll be fine.

Remember though, keely can read your moods, if you are stressed, she may pick up on that and be stressed to.

It will be very important that you are confident when you drop her off tomorrow, so keely will think there is nothing to be scared of.

Keep a close eye on her incision, if you have any concerns you can post a pic and somebody will be here to help.:2huggers: Well even if you don't have any concerns you can post pics anyways cause she is just so darn cute. :cloud9:

Masha
November 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM
If you have any concerns, talk to your vet. I had a ton of questions for my vet because i was a nervous basket case before Jermy was getting neutred, and they were very helpful and answered all my questions.

Goodluck tomorrow :fingerscr and a speedy recovery!! :goodvibes:

kathryn
November 20th, 2008, 08:23 PM
It shouldn't stress her out too much. You should probably lock her in a separate room though to make sure she doesn't try to jump around and attack the tree.

Do you know if she is getting absorbable sutures or not? Most regular vets don't do that, it's more of a shelter/clinic type thing since we can't have people coming back and jamming the place up just to get stitches out.

hazelrunpack
November 20th, 2008, 11:21 PM
You'll both do great, babymomma! :thumbs up

:goodvibes: for tomorrow!

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 07:56 AM
Good Luck today!! Keely will do fine! :thumbs up

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
Good luck Keely! We are thinking of you and your momma :grouphug:

AmericanBullMom
November 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
Good luck today Keely!
Tell your momma not to worry!:thumbs up Everything is going to work out great!

ancientgirl
November 21st, 2008, 11:16 AM
I wish Keely loads of luck, but I know she'll be fine.

I've had all my cats done, except for Czari, she was already done, and the important thing is to keep her from being too active for a few days.

You've got some great advice here, remember the meds. I gave all mine meds sent home with me since I'm sure they needed it. It is surgery after all.

Let us know how she's doing when she gets home.

ScottieDog
November 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
Good luck Keely. Hope you are back on your paws quickly!

aslan
November 21st, 2008, 06:17 PM
just checking in to see how little keely is and to see if your breathing yet BM.:grouphug:

babymomma
November 21st, 2008, 06:38 PM
Okay, I FINALLY got some free time to give an update! First i would like to thank you all for your warm wishes!!

I was totally confident today! I wasnt stressed until after we had left the clinic. We went in and handed her to my vet, and she told me not to worry she'd be fine.we took her in at 8:30 am, and the vet said that we would probably be able to pick her up around 3pm. So off we went (After admiring a beautiful cat that was going to be spayed as well..lol).. We stayed in Grandfalls the whole time, just in case there was a complication we could be there right away. We called every hour on the hour to make sure she was okay. At about 12 we called for another check in and the assistant told us that she was ALREADY up and alert! (Shes a tuffy, vet thought shed be out till' at least 2-2:30. So vet assistant told us we could go get her at 1:30! Did a bit more shopping (Went to an AWESOME new petstore that is tottally dedicated to dogs, and got to meet a beautiful lab setter x, the store was inspired by him). At this point i was quite anxious and wanted to go get her that was about 1:15 pm. So off we went to get her. In the vets awesome i took my mind off my anxiety by playing with a 1yo yello lab that had a blockage and was very very sick (Owner said i lifted his spirits ALOT:thumbs up) Then out she came, alert as can be and back went those little yorkie ears and the nub started waggin'. Brought me to tears when i saw how happy she was, but i wasnt sad or anything so i dont think i stressed her out. Vet told me that She had never had such a good patient or one that was such a little fighter, said it was the fastest she'd seen a dog get up from the anethestic and be soo alert (lol, vet told me she just couldnt wait to see her mommy!) she slept the whole way home, and slept pretty mych up until 5- 5:30. hen the little devil wanted to play. She doesnt even realize she had surgery (Which isnt a good thing!:frustrated:) She want to jump on the couch and wants to play with all her toys, i let her for a little bit but took them away. Im very over protective over her at this point, wont let mom touch her or pick her up or anything:o. She HATES her lamp shade, err i mean cone. Shes asleep in her kennel with it on now.

Vet didnt give us any meds or anything. Stcthed her with the disolvable ones, i didnt want them but i think she only uses dissolvable ones. Im feelin' like a nut:crazy: I am feeling pretty helpless because, well i dont even know why!:shrug:

So yea, might have missed a few things, but keely is crying in there now so ill be back later on! :thumbs up

Oh and, I was thinkin' her incision would be really big, So thats why i was so worried, Then when vet held her up and let me see her belly i was like "Thats it?" Its like an inch long, so i feel way more comfortable now! I seriously thought it would be like same lenghth of her belly! :o

babymomma
November 21st, 2008, 06:57 PM
Aslan- yea im breathin' lol

hazelrunpack
November 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm glad she did so well! :thumbs up I'm sure it was a load off your mind! :grouphug:

:goodvibes: for a smooth recovery!

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 09:37 PM
I am so glad she made it through with flying colours :thumbs up :grouphug:

ummmm, now we need pics of her :D

the gang
November 21st, 2008, 09:43 PM
good job little one!!!!! brenda and the pins.

aslan
November 21st, 2008, 09:44 PM
i'm with love4 we need pics of little booboo'd keely belly.:cloud9:

Yay keely you're such a good girl.

kathryn
November 21st, 2008, 10:17 PM
If they've never been preggo or anything, the incision is itty bitty. Well heck, my one cat had a litter (I adopted her after she became pregnant for the record, this is Three Legged Missy I'm talking about) and she only had an itty bitty incision and it looked great.

Glad Keely is feeling okay.

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Great that Keely is doing so well. It's amazing, the small ones seem to pull out of it so much quicker. :shrug:
The incision really isn't all that big at all. It's pretty neat what vets can do these days.

onster
November 22nd, 2008, 12:09 AM
aawwwww yay keely!!! :grouphug::goodvibes: such a good little girl.

I want pics too! :D