Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fudge family

Lise
November 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
We've found Fudge's mother and rest of her litter.They've moved into our neighbours barn and she's fine with that and doesn't mind feeding the four of them.We want to trap and spay/neuter everyone ,release Mom and either try to tame kittens or release with Mom.I don't want to wait too long and have more kittens,but I'm afraid if I only catch one or two the others will disappear and not be sort of safe in the barn with food and shelter for the winter.I've trapped ferals before but always adults who didn't need eachother as much as this little family seems to right now.Any suggestions about when to trap etc would be much appreciated

14+kitties
November 19th, 2008, 05:36 PM
The best time of day to trap them is either first thing in the morning or early evening. Preferably on an empty stomach as they will be more willing to go into the trap then. If possible try not to leave the trap unattended. You can sit out of sight quietly so they approach the trap and are not afraid by your presense to enter it. Once you have one (or two. I caught a few two at a time kitties) you can put them into a carrier and reset the trap for the others. This may take a while to catch them all.
They won't go anywhere if they are being fed by your friend. They are also old enough to look after themselves in that situation. Most of the time here my moms disappeared around six weeks or so. They just came in to bring in mice and stick around long enough to feed the kittens once or twice a day and then they were off again.

Ideally it would be great to trap mom first if possible. Set the trap on the other side away from where she and the kittens are. Bait it with tuna or sardines. Even cat nip if neither of them work. If mom is trapped the kittens would be fairly easy to trap. If the kittens are trapped first mom may be difficult. You may have to "fake set" the trap for a few nights then. But you can deal with that if/when the time comes.

Lise
November 19th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I meant more what age to trap.If we lose Mom and kittens don't tame we will have a big problem,since I don't think they'll make it outside here without her.We are in the middle of nowhere and we have coyotes and fishers out here.These are the only ferals that live around here,except for the black one who we think is probably the father and has disappeared.I just don't want to make things worse for them.

14+kitties
November 19th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I can't remember exactly when you found Fudge but I think it was a couple of months ago, right? So....... start trapping asap. The sooner they are around people to get socialized the better. I am sure you know that.
Sorry I misinterpreted your query.