Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Burlington, ON. FOUND ORANGE and SPOTTED CAT (CONSORT!)

Britt Desnoyers
November 19th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Recently our wild cat that was raised by racoons has brought a friend around. She is Orange and almost Cheetah spotted and has stunningly blue green eyes. Sickly thin (which is why we've been feeding it so much) and when brought inside it meows like crazy until I sit with it and let it fall asleep on my lap, she is very loving and affectionate and for now has adopted the name Esme. We Live on Consort Crest. So my guess is that she's from around this area.

The weather is getting very cold and from the way she acts it seems like she's an indoor cat. She want's very much to come inside but due to the other cat we cannot have her in all the time.

Please if the loving and beautiful cat belongs to you come and claim it (with the proof) the weather is getting cold and she wants in!!

I have included several pictures. She preffers wet food. If I had a job to provide for two cats I would gladly take care of her....sadly I can't.

If you have any information:
Comment here
Email me - brittBRATTxX@hotmail.com
or contact me on facebook
Britt Marie Desnoyers

babymomma
November 19th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Aww, Look at the tabby girl :) I hope her owners find her soon!! SH emust be pretty confused huh?... What you gonna do with her if you cannot find her owners?

Britt Desnoyers
November 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Well I am in the process of getting a job, so maybe I can afford to take care of her. Shes really a sweetie and just LOVES to cuddel. but I think she suffers from anxiety. I'm worried someone just tossed her.

BenMax
November 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Looks like there may be some abys in him...GORGEOUS cat! One of a kind.

babymomma
November 19th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Sounds to me like she was a Indoor only cat at one point.. As you've stated she loves to be inside.. If you do keep her will you be converting to Indoor only to insure she is as safe as possible and to insure she wont get lost again?

BenMax
November 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
If you can't keep her please contact a rescue. I am certain that they can help. If you need help sourcing out a rescue please let me know. I may be able to send you in the right direction.

Did you contact animal control or a shelter to let them know you found a cat? Someone may be looking.

Britt Desnoyers
November 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I have let the shelters around know of her where abouts if anyone's looking...for now I have a interveiw at a different salon, if I get the job then she'll have a new place to call home.

Looks like she hasn't been fed in weeks, fed her some today...shes missing ALOT of her teeth and has a few back moalers and all her fangs. So she has to eat wet food that is in bites since she can only lick up her food. She has a nasty case of ear mites (knowing this from the cat my boyfriend and I have)

I fed her a decent amount today and she drank 2 bowls of water. Unfortunatly looks like after the weeks of not eating, it kind of unsettled her stomach and threw up all over my new couch. Poor thing. We put her outside to get it all out of her system. I can't afford the vet for now and will have to wait for this new job to fall in and for me to get her down to barrie (the best vet in the biz is down there) Get her a full check up but I'm pretty good with cats and know a lot with whats going on with her.

Poor thing just wants a lap to cuddle up in...so whys her life gotta be so hard. Who would do this to the poor thing. I see signs of abuse, like if I raise my voice or just trying to play around with her.

Britt Desnoyers
November 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Now its just a matter of figuring out a really good unique name for her. I'm tired of calling her CAT. lol.

I'm thinking of something really different but really cool. I was planning on naming her Nala (after simba's girlfriend in the lion king) but my mom seems to think that a cat thats mine needs something thats more unique and different but cool and dark all at the same time.

BenMax
November 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Now its just a matter of figuring out a really good unique name for her. I'm tired of calling her CAT. lol.

I'm thinking of something really different but really cool. I was planning on naming her Nala (after simba's girlfriend in the lion king) but my mom seems to think that a cat thats mine needs something thats more unique and different but cool and dark all at the same time.

Nala is beautiful. I have never seen such unique markings. I am assuming that you are keeping her?? (I hope so - you sound like a wonderful loving human being).:angel::)

duttypaws
November 20th, 2008, 11:47 AM
She is rare looking... and well done for doing your best at least shes getting food in her belly and some heat :)

I dont find 2 cats cost any more than 1 (hehehehe) as for the other cat there are loads of information here for introducing a new cat... keep her in one room and let your first cat get used to her smell etc.... my cats dont get on but happily share the house its take almost 9 months for them to sniff each other... i swear they get along when im not here...

her eyes look a little sore.... cold tea bags would clear that up :)

Love4himies
November 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Thank you for taking this kitty in. BenMax is right 2 is really not any more expensive than one.

NoahGrey
November 20th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I got two names for you. One is Skyrah. It means love, beauty and strength. Or Kerr, means strength. Since it seems like she has been through alot, I would think she would has lots of strength.

I'll look for more. I love tryong to come up with names for the animals at the shelter that I work for.

ACO22

Britt Desnoyers
November 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
She seems to throw up every time I give her a decent amount of food. I give her a teaspoon everyhalf hour since she threw it all up yesterday too. She looks like shes been starved and I don't know what to do to keep her food down until I can pay for her vet bills. Anyone know whats going on with this poor dear

she throws up viontley and I feel so bad for her...

Love4himies
November 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM
If this kitty is not keeping any food down, she needs a vet immediately. Talk to your vet, he may give you a break as this is not your cat.

What are you feeding her?

Love4himies
November 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Did she vomit the small amounts of food too or just when she gobbled it up? Have you tried watering down her food so it won't be too heavy on her tummy.

Britt Desnoyers
November 20th, 2008, 07:29 PM
No but I can try that, it comes out about 30 minutes later not digested, and a brown/red/beige colour. (not the best thing to look at when your sick yourself) I grabbed hold of her wheen she started throwing up and (unfortunaly) went for the nearst thing my dinner, an amazing yogurt my step-dad made. Anyone know any vets in burlington that I could get in touch with that wouldn't take this animal away from me. I love her to death now and would die if I lost her

catlover2
November 21st, 2008, 10:10 AM
This cat looks to me like a Bengal or Bengal mix. You should take the cat to a vet as soon as possible, or you will not have her at all!

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 10:23 AM
This cat looks to me like a Bengal or Bengal mix. You should take the cat to a vet as soon as possible, or you will not have her at all!

My thoughts as well. The colouring sure makes her seem like a Bengal/mix. And I for one knows she needs to see a vet asap. It is possible she is so full of worms they are affecting her health. Not to mention numerous other possibilities.

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 11:23 AM
No but I can try that, it comes out about 30 minutes later not digested, and a brown/red/beige colour. (not the best thing to look at when your sick yourself) I grabbed hold of her wheen she started throwing up and (unfortunaly) went for the nearst thing my dinner, an amazing yogurt my step-dad made. Anyone know any vets in burlington that I could get in touch with that wouldn't take this animal away from me. I love her to death now and would die if I lost her

A vet won't take your baby away from you :grouphug:. Make some phone calls to various vets to find out their fees. Do you have access to a car, sometimes vets outside the city charge far less than city vets. You would want to have at least a Wellness blood panel done on her, that will check for any infections, organ functions, etc.

What food are you feeding her? Some cats have very sensitive digestive systems and can't handle poor quality food or kibble.

NoahGrey
November 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Just pmed you Britt.

ACO22

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:00 PM
UPDATE:

Today she finally ate through out the whole day and kept every little bit down. The moistened dry food, the watered down wet food. She has told to be given a Nutrition shot, which is a paste you mix with her food and she seemed to only want to eat it rather then her food.

Her ear mites will be solved by a medication that I FINALLY found from my boyfriends cat from only a month ago. She seems to be looking a lot better, more energy..even though shes still lazy. lol.

I'm so happy shes becoming okay now with the crap load of stuff I did for her today.

I thought she was coming down with a cold but I think it was either something in her nose or just stuffed up from trying to adjust to the heat.

She truly is my best friend right now, never leaving my side and always just wanting to snuggle in my arms. I think in a way she knows I'm trying to take care of her and make her all better.

We are most definatly keeping her, shes become a part of this family and has grown on my mom (who now refuses to put her back outside) Thanks everyone that helped us out with Wicka.

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 11:07 PM
I am so glad to hear she is now eating :thumbs up :grouphug: and that you and your mom are enjoying her company. She will be eternally grateful to you for rescuing her.

Please don't wet down her kibble, in fact, and if possible don't give her kibble at all. Moistened kibble can create bacteria to grow very quickly causing your kitty to become sick. She really needs a quality canned food so she can get hydrated.

Here is some good reading on cat nutrition:

http://www.catinfo.org/

We would love it if you could post some more pics, she is so beautiful.

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah I just spoke to a vet, she said it was okay if I only did it twice but keep to her wet food since she has barley any teeth, itll be easier for her and feed her a little at a time since she swallows with out chewing, that way some can digest at a time and the nutrition shot will bring her around to a healty cat in no time.

I was just messaged by a person working for the human society in the area about Wicka, thinking it might be one of theirs...

I'm worried that shes going to be taken away :( I believe if the person wasn't responsible in the first place to keep this cat inside for the last month during this weather then the shouldn't have her.

Haha, she loves it here and its here in a happy healthy home she should remain!

I love my kitty :] :cat::lovestruck:

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:33 PM
and last night she emptied 2 bowls of water...she must have been badly dehydrated. But only drinks about 10 minutes after her food now. I'm so happy!!

Honestly, the fact that shes just doing better makes my world better!

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:39 PM
First snow fall with us!!

This is Wicka in our backyard, thought wed let her out to enjoy the snow with our other kitten

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Wicka's Most prized spot in the house, infront of my pillow...I think its because she smells me. Usually when were sleeping she'll come sleep on my head (the little monkey)

She's sleeping in my lap at the moment while I type all this out. I definatly have to get some better ones of her. I'm just worried about being to attached to her right now....

:(

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 11:45 PM
awwww she is such a sweetie :cloud9::lovestruck:.

I know you would be heartbroken if you had to return her to her owners, but think of how you would feel if you lost your kitty and the people who found it wouldn't return it to you? I agree all kitties should be kept inside unless they are supervised.

If you do find the owners, make sure they can ID her by someway, there are alot of scammers out there.

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:46 PM
As well as we got her a collar and tag, the collar is tiger stripped to match her!

Cute huh?

My moms trying to convince me on changing her name to Tigger

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:48 PM
If theres no Legit proof, the kitten isn't going anywhere. I'm just really worried and hope they get back to me soon, I'm going crazy, thinking my days are numbered with her

Britt Desnoyers
November 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM
She told me to try and get her microchip checked...how do I do that?

babymomma
November 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM

Hmm, A vet maybe.. An animal shelter would probably have the right equipment to do so :shrug:

Good luck with kitty!

t.pettet
November 22nd, 2008, 05:20 PM
You're doing a great job in helping this kitty but a word of caution: don't let her outside as she could wander off and in her poor condition I doubt she'd survive, also because she's underweight and sickly try to keep her as warm and comfortable as possible by becoming an inside cat.

Britt Desnoyers
November 23rd, 2008, 06:38 AM
she is very comfortable ::thumbs up we also got her a collar just in case that were to happen. She's shaping up, gaining weight, and enjoys to play now! she actually just woke me up to play. She's a weirdo.

Last night I brought her in my room and went to get her litter box, came back and I guess she really had to go and went in my bed. I wasn't mad. I just gave her a firm "no" to let her know that it wasn't okay to do that. Later she jumped on my desk and knocked a crap load of stuff down. I jumped at her to get her down and she freaked and hid under the chair, I pulled her out and once again gave her a firm no and gave her a soft tap on the head. nothing to hurt her. then for the next 2 hours she would violently flinch from me when my and came near her....

does that mean she was abused? was my disiplen wrong and I shouldnt have tapped her?

chico2
November 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Britt,thank you and your mom for helping this beautiful girl,she really is uniqe looking:lovestruck:
Reading all the posts,I think it's possible she is an elderly cat,no teeth,skinny etc..or she's been outside for a long time.
Lets:pray:she gets to stay with you and you'll be able to get her to a vet:cat:

Love4himies
November 23rd, 2008, 09:09 AM

You can take her to your local shelter. You should really have this done, her owners may be really missing her.

Britt Desnoyers
November 23rd, 2008, 09:34 AM
I've already been contacted by SPCA about her, they want me to call back on monday and bring her in to see if she has a chip. They basically said keeping her comes down to investigating her owners and regestering so that she belongs to us

mollywog
November 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Last night I brought her in my room and went to get her litter box, came back and I guess she really had to go and went in my bed. I wasn't mad. I just gave her a firm "no" to let her know that it wasn't okay to do that. Later she jumped on my desk and knocked a crap load of stuff down. I jumped at her to get her down and she freaked and hid under the chair, I pulled her out and once again gave her a firm no and gave her a soft tap on the head. nothing to hurt her. then for the next 2 hours she would violently flinch from me when my and came near her....

does that mean she was abused? was my disiplen wrong and I shouldnt have tapped her?

You should never "punish" a cat in this way. The poor thing doesn't know why you are hitting her or yelling at her. Please don't do this again, it will only traumitize her further.

Britt Desnoyers
November 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I didn't "hit" or "yell" at her.
I gave her a gental tap on the head and a firm no

Doesn't matter now anyways
She got taken away

I have to wait till friday to see if I can adopt her

NoahGrey
November 24th, 2008, 03:40 PM
All vets and animal shelters have scanners for mircochip.

I strongly think that you should see if she chipped. It seems to be, she has been a stray for quite sometime.

You had made a referrence to not looking for her owners, becuase of the state she is in and that she loves it at your house. Just because she is in the state that she is in, doesn't mean that her previous owners treated her horrible and didn't love her or miss her. ALOT of strays go missing and are never found by their owners. And, one of the most common reasons is because people take in a stray and just keep the animal, not caring if someone is missing their pet.

I also think she needs to see a vet ASAP. She is probably extremely dehyrated (since you said she drinks so much) Without enough fluids in her body, organs will not be able to function properly and odds are as intestional worms...but if not treated can be fatal. You should have a vet look at her, to see if she is overall healthy.

I am happy that you took her in, but please do the responsible thing here and have her scanned for a mircoship and when talking to the animal shelter, give a found cat report. Someone may have called and filled out a lost/missing report on the cat.

ACO22

NoahGrey
November 24th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Just got your message. I thought that the owner would have been looking for their cat. Bengals are usually bought from a breeder (hopefully a reputable one and are quite expensive)

ACO22

shirley1011
November 24th, 2008, 04:30 PM
ACCO agree with you...so many just vanish because people take them in thinking they are abused or neglected when they are just lost and can't find home and the owners haven't been able to find them and especially when they get taken in.

Britt Desnoyers
November 25th, 2008, 07:07 AM
All vets and animal shelters have scanners for mircochip.

I strongly think that you should see if she chipped. It seems to be, she has been a stray for quite sometime.

You had made a referrence to not looking for her owners, becuase of the state she is in and that she loves it at your house. Just because she is in the state that she is in, doesn't mean that her previous owners treated her horrible and didn't love her or miss her. ALOT of strays go missing and are never found by their owners. And, one of the most common reasons is because people take in a stray and just keep the animal, not caring if someone is missing their pet.

I also think she needs to see a vet ASAP. She is probably extremely dehyrated (since you said she drinks so much) Without enough fluids in her body, organs will not be able to function properly and odds are as intestional worms...but if not treated can be fatal. You should have a vet look at her, to see if she is overall healthy.

I am happy that you took her in, but please do the responsible thing here and have her scanned for a mircoship and when talking to the animal shelter, give a found cat report. Someone may have called and filled out a lost/missing report on the cat.

ACO22

I never said I wasn't bringing her to a shelter????

I called them a week a ago and told us we could wait till monday then bring her in.

Love4himies
November 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM
I have to wait till friday to see if I can adopt her

I thought the SPCA found the owners?

Britt Desnoyers
November 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yeah "aparently" somethings fishy about this guy though and what their telling us. "apparently" he comes around every other apparently" he's looking for him...but why hasn't he filed a lost form? why has he 'jsut' started looking for this cat...somethings up...