Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

styrofoam shelter

14+kitties
November 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
So yesterday after work I decided I would try to make a shelter. This is what I wanted to make for the ferals that use my garage for the winter. I used an old laundry basket and 1 inch thick styrofoam. This is what it came out like. I have a sleeve from a fur coat (thanks Chris!) in the bottom for snuggling into. I was going to put something down for a doorflap but figure that the cats won't like being completely closed in. This way they can still watch for "predators". Turned out pretty neat I think.
Cost of laundry basket - free but you can get them cheap.
Cost of styrofoam - $8.50 and you get enough to make 3 shelters. Not bad. Will work well in spots where there is no wind.

babymomma
November 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Nice job 14+ !! Looks pretty nifty! :thumbs up I assume they like it?

babymomma
November 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
umm, Wont they try to scratch up styrofoam? Seriously, kinda clueless when it comes to cats, but if i were a cat i would..lol

14+kitties
November 19th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Don't think so Babymomma. People have been making these shelters for quite a while now. Cats know it's there for shelter. If they do scratch it up oh well, I'll make more. The whole idea is to keep my ferals that aren't in the catuary warm for the winter. I think this will work. Check out the site below. :thumbs up

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

As for do they like it...... just took it out to the garage a while ago. I guess time will tell. The ones in the house sure seemed to like examining it.

babymomma
November 19th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Don't think so Babymomma. People have been making these shelters for quite a while now. Cats know it's there for shelter. If they do scratch it up oh well, I'll make more. The whole idea is to keep my ferals that aren't in the catuary warm for the winter. I think this will work. Check out the site below. :thumbs up

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

As for do they like it...... just took it out to the garage a while ago. I guess time will tell. The ones in the house sure seemed to like examining it.

Ahh, I see.. I wouldt scratch my shelter either! lol.. Its really awesome!

hazelrunpack
November 19th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Looks like the indoor kitties were already enjoying it! Hope the ferals like it as well! :goodvibes: How many shelters will you need to accommodate them all?

14+kitties
November 19th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Hazel - the shelters I am doing are for the ferals that come and go from our garage. I figure six should do it. There may never be a night when they are all in use but that's ok. They are there if needed.
My catty cats are getting their new house very soon. They won't need these shelters. Although I am thinking about making a couple just to put under the trees for the hardier kitties who won't go inside unless it's pouring rain. :frustrated: Their new house is very very comfy. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
November 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM
14+, you've got a veritable Kitty Bed & Breakfast in the makings! :thumbs up

I can't believe the number of ferals and strays you get. :sad: We have so few here, but I wonder how many are being eaten by coyotes and wolves...a very sad thought.

14+kitties
November 19th, 2008, 10:28 PM
14+, you've got a veritable Kitty Bed & Breakfast in the makings! :thumbs up

I can't believe the number of ferals and strays you get. :sad: We have so few here, but I wonder how many are being eaten by coyotes and wolves...a very sad thought.

Thanks hazel. :D
Yep, we have a lot around here. I went for a walk back to the bush last week. Didn't see one kitty but I could see lots of tracks from where they were coming and going. It's either that or it was coyote tracks. We have them too. I have seen the kitties leaving the garage in the morning so I know they are using it for shelter. I hope they will get used to the little "houses". :fingerscr

Brandykins
November 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM
Brilliant work, 14+Kitties. You should market them!! Bet they will all have a lovely warm bed to sleep in. I am sure they will appreciate your handiwork:)

Good one you!

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 07:50 AM
Aww thanks Brandykins. :o I think though that there are enough plans for these things out there people will just make their own if they need them. It's pretty easy once you get a template for the size of styrofoam you need to cut.

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Great idea 14+. Excuse my stupidness, but it looks like you put the laundry basket inside the styrofoam cooler? Did it fit or did you have to alter it?

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 08:01 AM
Great idea 14+. Excuse my stupidness, but it looks like you put the laundry basket inside the styrofoam cooler? Did it fit or did you have to alter it?

No L4H, I cut 1" thick styrofoam insulation to fit the inside of the basket. As noted above, the sheet of insulation will do three baskets like this. I was planning on using storage bins but hadn't got them yet so used what I had on hand. The insulation was cut to fit on the sides, bottom and top. Then I added the sleeve of a fur coat for more warmth.

chico2
November 21st, 2008, 08:02 AM
I can see the styrofoam is inside the basket,what a smart idea:thumbs up
How does hubby feel about losing"his"garage to kitties???
But then again,living with a cat-rescuer,a kitty:angel2:means sharing:cat:

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
I can see the styrofoam is inside the basket,what a smart idea:thumbs up
How does hubby feel about losing"his"garage to kitties???
But then again,living with a cat-rescuer,a kitty:angel2:means sharing:cat:

Thanks Chico!
Hubby has his shop. He very seldom uses his garage except to store junk. I actually use it more than he does. My scroll saw is in there along with other craft stuff I very seldom get a chance to use.

Love4himies
November 21st, 2008, 09:01 AM
No L4H, I cut 1" thick styrofoam insulation to fit the inside of the basket. As noted above, the sheet of insulation will do three baskets like this. I was planning on using storage bins but hadn't got them yet so used what I had on hand. The insulation was cut to fit on the sides, bottom and top. Then I added the sleeve of a fur coat for more warmth.

Duh, I see the laundry basket now :laughing: ummm it was my old ucky monitor, yup, that's the reason :D

Jim Hall
November 21st, 2008, 09:49 AM
lol kitty in a cooler!! gave me an idea i can pock up the strofoam coolers cheap and line them with cut out for access

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yep Jim, you can use those too. :thumbs up There is a site, not sure if it's the one I posted or not, that shows those in use too. The only things are 1) you need a brick in/on it so it doesn't blow away outside and 2) they normally aren't that thick unless you want to buy the pricier ones.
Any shelter is better than none in the midst of our freezing winters I figure.

Jim Hall
November 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
im using some milk crates with cardbord on out side and i picked up some cheap therma, balankets i got permission to put them under the neighbors back porch i know they are being used hopefully by cats lol

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Fabulous! That's great! I am sure they appreciate the shelter.

ancientgirl
November 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
What a great use of material. That looks like it's sure to keep them warm, especially if they share.

krdahmer
November 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM
Those look awesome... nice job. I'll have to come check them out soon!

14+kitties
November 21st, 2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks ancient. Recyling so baskets didn't go to dump. I don't use them any more. Like my hampers too much.

Kr - you know where I am. You have to come see cranky pants soon anyway. :o

Tundra_Queen
November 22nd, 2008, 01:55 AM
What a great idea! I first thought they were Rubbermaid totes. I hope the kitties like them and the effort u put into making them. :)