Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Agression?

Murph's Mom
July 24th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Hi guys! My turn to tap the well of knowledge. Hopefully you can help.

Murphy has statred something new and I'm not sure how to change the behaviour. When I walk Murphy I use a gentle leader (this is due to a shoulder injury I have), should we meet another dog Murphy and the dog will sniff each other and in about 3 seconds Murphy SNAPS at the other dog. What bewilders me a bit is that he will only do this when on a leash. He has NEVER snapped at anything when off leash. I've been thinking that it has something to do with the gentle leader (him not feeling in control) but I'm really not sure.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Luba
July 24th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Smurfeeeeeeeeeeeeettte :D

I think it's more of him trying to protect you, he's trying to be in control.

When you go to meet a dog, give him a sit stay command 'before' they greet. Then he'll have some idea that you are still pack leader. When you want him to meet the other dog say something like 'go see/go look' and release the tension so he has an opportunity to sniff.

After he's sniffed the other dog say 'good boy Murph' then take the lead and walk away 'before' he has an opportunity to snap.

If you do this a few times, you can leave the meet and greet go longer by a few seconds each time. You'll come to know if he get's that look in his eyes or ears go back. Just pull him outta there before he has an opportunity to snap.

Also, have you noticed whether it's females/males or doesn't make a dif?

Lucky Rescue
July 24th, 2004, 05:16 PM
I've seen lots of dog aggressive border collies. Being on leash, the dog knows he is vulnerable, which is what often causes the onleash aggression.

Is it really important for Murphy to "meet and greet" other dogs?

daisy18216
July 24th, 2004, 05:29 PM
I agree w/Luba and LR. I'd make sure he does the meet and greet first.

Murph's Mom
July 24th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Okay, now I know your not crazy Luba. I typed in a response 45 minutes ago and it's not here!!! :confused: I wondered where it got to?

Here I go again....

Luba!!! :D Thanks for the smile. The "meet and greet" sounds like a great idea but here's my concern. When Murph is sniffing he does it at the muzzle so the dogs are face to face. He will be sniffing and then snap. It's literally sniff, sniff, snap! Should I just not let him do the sniff? Keep the "sit" right by my side?

L/R - I remember you and I talking about the dog agression in BC's when I first got Murphy. Luckily this is the first I've seen from him. Good question about the neccesity. I live in a really popular dog neighbourhood. People who don't even live in the neighbourhood bring their dogs here to walk them. We have beautiful, older landscape and lots of open green space...okay so I normally let Murphy say hello because I don't want to constantly cross the street and the people are extremely friendly and stop to talk. I take it I could not "meet and greet", just not stop or keep him a safe distant from the other dog?

Luba
July 24th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Any idea if it's just male/females???

See me not nuts blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :p

Murph's Mom
July 24th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Doesn't matter to him...male or female, big or little, young or old!

Luba
July 24th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Maybe you can try keeping him a foot or so apart to do the air sniffing..see how goes that way?

Murph's Mom
July 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Just wanted let you guys know that the "meet and greet" is working....so far. I don't actually let him sniff the other dog until he has been sitting beside me for a full minute and then he is only allowed one sniff and back to sit. If he "behaves" he's allowed another sniff. He's catching on pretty fast how to get to sniff!
Thanks for the help!! :D

daisy18216
August 2nd, 2004, 07:32 PM
That's great news!!!!!! :D

I'm glad it's working. He'll get better w/time.