Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone here volunteer at the Vancouver Animal Shelter?

Scuba
November 18th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any members here that volunteer at the city of Vancouver Animal Shelter (VAS) on Raymur avenue. There are some questions that I would like to ask current volunteers or people who have volunteered there previously. This is because I am thinking of starting to volunteer there. During the summer I had actually signed up for an orientation session but due to a family emergency I was never able to make it. I really regret not calling them to inform them that I would not be able to attend. Also, I never tried going back after the summer.

I actually went to the shelter this afternoon, unfortunately I was informed that they are currently revamping and reviewing their volunteer program. Which means that there are no current openings. Earliest was stated to be probably January 2009.:yell:

Some of the questions that I have are;

1) What are the volunteering hours?
2) What are some of the things volunteers do or help with?
3) Where can the volunteers take the dogs on walks?
4) Are volunteers allowed to bring their own leashes, treats, bags and other canine related equipments?
5) How long are the walks with the dogs typically?

Thanks in advance.
Scuba

PS. There were some puppies that were so adorable, sleeping together in a pile. On top of and next to each other.:laughing: I think they will be available for adoption soon.

Scuba
November 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
During the last couple of days I had thought of some other questions.

First
What sort of time commitment does the VAS ask for? For example do they want a volunteer to show up at least once a week for 2-3 hours at a time for six months? Or is there no set rule, just a come and go type thing?

Second
Can volunteers bring along a friend (BF/GF, friend or co-worker) on walks?

Thanks
Scuba

Scuba
January 3rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Bump

Just wanted to bump this up as it is now January. I will try to go down to Vancouver Animal Control in the coming weeks again. Still, it would be really nice and helpful if anyone that volunteers there currently or previously could tell me a little more about what the city of Vancouver animal shelter is like or about.

Thanks in advance!
Scuba