Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Free Puppies...I have a plan!

CaptainOlimar
November 18th, 2008, 07:26 PM
So, there is someone giving away free purebred border collie pups. She took two to the shelter but has the other five listed in our local buy and sell weekly.

I'm going to call tomorrow and if she will give them to me I'm going to try to get at least two and take them to the SPCA.

What do you think? I know it's dishonest but the pups need a better chance than they are getting.

cpietra16
November 18th, 2008, 07:44 PM
If the SPCA is a high kill shelter you may not being doing them a favour. DOn't you have any rescue groups that may wantt o take them in...and why did she take 2 to the shelter and keep the rest? she obviously wants or needs the money. Do you think she would actually give them away for free?

CaptainOlimar
November 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
If the SPCA is a high kill shelter you may not being doing them a favour. DOn't you have any rescue groups that may wantt o take them in...and why did she take 2 to the shelter and keep the rest? she obviously wants or needs the money. Do you think she would actually give them away for free?

It's not a high kill shelter as far as I know. Most get shipped to another centre with higher adoption rates.

I don't know if she needs the money, she's giving them away for free.

I don't think we have rescue groups, not here anyway. The SPCA is our only option.

I know some animals are put down that they deem 'unadoptable' but these pups wouldn't qualify.

Gail P
November 18th, 2008, 08:38 PM
There are border collie rescues in BC. I don't know my BC geography so I have no idea if they are near you or not but here is a link to That'll Do Border Collie Rescue. http://bcbordercollies.moonfruit.com/# You could contact her and ask if there is a rescue near you or if she has any suggestions.

Also, there is a border collie forum where you may be able to post info about the pups. I know I've read the rules before in the rescue & adoption section but I can't remember what type of listings you are allowed to post. I think in the main part you can post dogs that you have personally seen/know something about but there is a sub-forum at the top of that section with listings for shelter dogs etc. Here's the link http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?act=idx

luckypenny
November 18th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Rescues are often able to arrange transport with the help of volunteers.

Here is a list of other Rescues and shelters in BC. http://www.brindleweb.com/rescue/rescue-list.html

And breed specific Rescues: http://www.brindleweb.com/rescue/breedrescue.html

CaptainOlimar
November 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Thank you, Gail, for that great website. I'm not near Vancouver but I can contact her to get more info as to what to do with the free pups.

The SPCA is taking a pit bull they have currently to the a pit bull rescue in Vancouver though, maybe they would utilize the border collie rescue?

Am I putting too much faith in the SPCA? They say they send a lot of animals to Victoria and the sunshine coast which have the highest adoption rates in BC. They ship two van loads a week sometimes and always have one full.

CaptainOlimar
November 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Thank you, luckypenny! I'm so glad I posted here! I knew I would get good advice! :)

Frenchy
November 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Notice how fast LP posts when she sees a free puppies thread :laughing:

Good plan about contacting rescues CaptainOlimar :thumbs up if you pick up the pups yourself , only once you get them , like on your way out , you could tell this lady to get her female spayed ... on your way out that is :laughing:

luckypenny
November 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Notice how fast LP posts when she sees a free puppies thread :laughing:

:p :laughing:

CaptainOlimar
November 18th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thank you, Frenchy!

She's taken pups to the SPCA before and she was told this time she will need to have the female spayed or they won't take anymore pups. She even has an appointment; just hope she keeps it.

Frenchy
November 18th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Thank you, Frenchy!

She's taken pups to the SPCA before and she was told this time she will need to have the female spayed or they won't take anymore pups. She even has an appointment; just hope she keeps it.

I can't believe she had to be told :wall:

growler~GateKeeper
November 19th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Good thing for Me you're not in the Vanc area :o I would be so tempted to pick up some BC puppies :cloud9: :lovestruck: :cloud9:

Remember No Dogs Allowed apartment, remember no dogs allowed apartment...... :rolleyes:

:goodvibes: for the rescue contacts & saving these pups :fingerscr :goodvibes::rip:

CaptainOlimar
November 19th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Growler, they *may* be going to the Vancouver rescue! So, you aren't out of the woods yet! :D

I emailed them last night and a very nice lady got back to me to say of course they would take them. I may have too keep them for a couple of weeks before they can arrange transport.

Don't know what my husband will think of that, a couple of weeks wouldn't be too bad though.

I'll keep you all updated.

And yes, I will be letting her know spaying is essential. I do this all the time, I know I look obnoxious but I don't care. I told the lady we got our chubby little kitty girl from she should really spay the mother. She didn't take it well as she was the manager of our local pet store and I guess she knows better. She's no longer manager though and the new one is talking about running it more like a Petcetera.

luckypenny
November 19th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Don't know what my husband will think of that, a couple of weeks wouldn't be too bad though.

Lots of paper towels, rags, Nature's Miracle, ear plugs, toys, laundry soap, did I mention Nature's Miracle and paper towels? Oh, and lots of paper towels and rags and laundry soap :D. Better get some extra sleep now that you can :laughing:.

Seriously now...wait...I was being serious...but more serious now...it might be a good idea to set up a vet appointment before you pick them up so they could be looked over and checked for intestinal parasites. I'm betting they weren't de-wormed yet.

Thanks for wanting to help these pups out :thumbs up.

CaptainOlimar
November 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM
:laughing: Luckypenny. :D

I had to look up Nature's Miracle, looks like good stuff!

I didn't even think about parasites. Can you deworm an week old pup? Of course they wouldn't have shots yet either.

It's looking like the SPCA is a good option for these reasons. I've spent so much darn money on these cats here lately and just spend too much money on Christmas presents yesterday.

I know they will at least get health care at the SPCA, they aren't over loaded with dogs right now, very few.

Edit to my post : The are eight weeks old not one week.

I just don't know what to do, wish I did. :confused:

luckypenny
November 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
They are only a week old???

Oh, they should stay with their mom; they are way to young to be removed.

CaptainOlimar
November 19th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I forgot to add, luckypenny, the border collie board is fabulous. And right away RDM from the That'll Do Border Collie Rescue that I contacted stands out. Very caring and extremely knowledgeable person. Thank you for the links again.

CaptainOlimar
November 19th, 2008, 11:09 AM
They are only a week old???

Oh, they should stay with their mom; they are way to young to be removed.

ACK, no! They are eight weeks old! My brain moves faster than my fingers and I make so many mistakes typing.

They look big and healthy.

luckypenny
November 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Phew.

If you speak to several vets beforehand, you may find that some will give you a discount rate for the pups in their situation. Depending on the SPCA, it may not be the ideal place for them, especially if they are not vaccinated.

They really should be de-wormed (if you're bringing them into your home) and have had at least their first set of shots before they go anywhere.

I just had another idea. How about you ask either the rescue or SPCA if you could foster for them until they are ready to be moved. Perhaps they will provide the vet care and give you the items you'll need for them eg. crates and food?

CaptainOlimar
November 19th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Phew.

If you speak to several vets beforehand, you may find that some will give you a discount rate for the pups in their situation. Depending on the SPCA, it may not be the ideal place for them, especially if they are not vaccinated.

They really should be de-wormed (if you're bringing them into your home) and have had at least their first set of shots before they go anywhere.

I just had another idea. How about you ask either the rescue or SPCA if you could foster for them until they are ready to be moved. Perhaps they will provide the vet care and give you the items you'll need for them eg. crates and food?

Well now, *that's* a good idea!!! I never thought of that! Probably because my husband was so against fostering the old dog I saw there last week. (thankfully for that old dog, he was fostered that day) Now that I think about that though it was more about the fact he would have to watch an old dog get older and it was so hard on him when our old dogs deteriorated these last few years.

On the other hand, reduced rates for the vaccines and checks-ups would work for us.

I will talk to the SPCA. Maybe they would be willing to take them to the rescue as they do it a lot with other dogs who are more likely to be surrendered; mainly pit bulls.

luckypenny
November 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Make sure your dh is on board with this though :o. Mine says "no" but I know he means, "sure, only you're picking up the poop" as one can always find him cuddling and talking to pups when he thinks no one is looking :rolleyes:. I also have to jump up and take them out/keep them occupied when they get up during the night as well so as he can get a good night's sleep if I want his support with fostering pups.

Bet your dh will fall in love once they are there though :cloud9:.

CaptainOlimar
November 19th, 2008, 11:48 AM
You know it, luckypenny. You should have seen him with the kittens we fostered. My son named them right away and it took my husband a couple of weeks to get their names right but you should have seen him at the end, snuggling and petting them constantly. He was trying to figure out we could swing taking them all! He considered building a cat house for them.

I will always make sure he's on board, especially after the pot bellied pig incident. :D

BenMax
November 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Just reading this thread....all I can say is :thumbs up. Good for you - you go GIRL!

CaptainOlimar
November 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
So, I've been calling the lady all day but she's not home! I hope she still has them, our buy and sell flyer came out Thurs. Today was the only day I could go and see them, a friend and I are all ready to to get them. Will call again.

CaptainOlimar
November 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Another quick update, so, the lady had a lot more puppies than 5. I didn't see them but someone went and took all of them and brought them to the SPCA. They shipped them out to Victoria last week.

She was definitely a puppy mill and I'm just so glad they are all in a place where they will get their shots and worm medicine, which I hear they desperately needed.

I don't know what will become of the owner, probably nothing. :(

ILoveOnyx
November 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I say you burn her house down now that you know where she lives. I'm sure injuring or potentially killing one life instead of creating more sick and malnourished lives will give the message.

Or... if you want a more subtle approach, just steal her dogs... which comes to my mind, why is stealing a dog more illegal than making hundreds more a year???

But that's just my :2cents:

CaptainOlimar
November 27th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I say you burn her house down now that you know where she lives. I'm sure injuring or potentially killing one life instead of creating more sick and malnourished lives will give the message.

Or... if you want a more subtle approach, just steal her dogs... which comes to my mind, why is stealing a dog more illegal than making hundreds more a year???

But that's just my :2cents:

LOL! :laughing: The pups are all safe and sound now.

ILoveOnyx
November 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
LOL! :laughing: The pups are all safe and sound now.

Mehhh... she's still there making new ones I bet.

CaptainOlimar
November 28th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Mehhh... she's still there making new ones I bet.

Ya, you are probably right.