Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Neutering

Rae1976
November 18th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I have a 6 month old Shihtzu who we just had neutered a wk and a half ago and now he is licking himself all the time on his pee pee(as my kids call it) and grossing everyone out. What do we do?? Will this stop??? HELP:wall:

duttypaws
November 18th, 2008, 07:10 PM
i just imagine he's trying to figure it all out and get it clean... its an instinct to lick themselves to heal ...

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
are you kidding? Its a dog...they lick.. he's licking to clean the area... I'm sure its a little stingy too... dog saliva is healing. Thats why he's licking more, but ALL dogs lick!

Longblades
November 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
You mean he is licking his penis? That is NOT where his neuter operation was, unless there was a horrible mistake made. Perhaps his surgery has just drawn his attention to the area though and it is quite normal for male dogs to lick there, neutered or not. My pup started way before 6 months. There is always the possibility of a urinary tract problem and if the licking started suddenly you may want to just ask your Vet about it.

Karin
November 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
He's a dog. They tend to do that.

This reminds me of a joke about Bubba and Roy..........

becmonchu
November 20th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Mine does that too. He licks it clean esp after he takes a pee. Hahha its so gross but I guess its better than him having a dirty peepee. :)

BenMax
November 20th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Ok - it is normal. Don't worry. Deep breaths and if it bothers anyone tell them to look in another direction.

I wonder what dogs think when we run around naked, or fart, or go to the bathroom with the door open?

AmericanBullMom
November 20th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Ok - it is normal. Don't worry. Deep breaths and if it bothers anyone tell them to look in another direction.

I wonder what dogs think when we run around naked, or fart, or go to the bathroom with the door open?

Patrón AND Mako both follow me into the bathroom, I swear they like team up and go "She's head to the potty! Blue Team GO GO GO".
And shh... its NEVER the people that fart, its the dog remember? No matter what, it was the dog!!:laughing::laughing:

BenMax
November 20th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Patrón AND Mako both follow me into the bathroom, I swear they like team up and go "She's head to the potty! Blue Team GO GO GO".
And shh... its NEVER the people that fart, its the dog remember? No matter what, it was the dog!!:laughing::laughing:

:laughing:. Ok Julia (my min pin) looks at me in disgust and barks if I 'fluff' - interestingly enough she tries to sit on my lap when I use the bathroom and I seem to have 4 cat 'fan fairs' leading me on as well. What a sight! Hey maybe that's why I am single.

Sorry to make light of this thread but it's all normal dog behaviour. But if anyone is really uncertain then they should go to the vet so that they may run tests.

AmericanBullMom
November 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Dont feel bad, DH to be TELLS Mako if I'm headed to the bathroom....
"Mako, Come see mom!" Its like Gee thanks, in case I couldnt handle a pee on my own!
Patrón stares at me, but really he just likes to watch the water flush...
I know, my boys are sheltered...:loser:

And I too am sorry for laughing at this thread! But you can always call your vet and ask if he thinks you should be worried about anything!
Otherwise, he's just being a dog.

scathach
November 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
My Georges can't even lick it!!! He can barely lick in back paws! English bulldog are sooooooo clumsy! He isnt disgusting but i have to wash his peepee and bum :yuck: I would ratter see him clean it on is own :p

Karin
November 20th, 2008, 01:40 PM
My Georges can't even lick it!!! He can barely lick in back paws! English bulldog are sooooooo clumsy! He isnt disgusting but i have to wash his peepee and bum :yuck: I would ratter see him clean it on is own :p

I call English Bulldogs.."Gargoyles". They sure look like one.

scathach
November 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
nah he doesnt look like a gargoyle! he looks like an old man and makes pig sounds:laughing:

Rae1976
November 26th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Well he has stopped licking---I think he was just trying to keep the area clean!!!:angel::lovestruck:

BenMax
November 26th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Glad to hear all is well.:thumbs up