Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Little Miss Ethel

phoozles
November 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I haven't posted pictures in a long time.. and I could never seem to get a good shot of Ethel ..

So, without further ado, here she is!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/phoozles/DSCN1211.jpg

on the alert

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/phoozles/Ethel3.jpg

curled up on my lap :lovestruck:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/phoozles/DSCN1215.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/phoozles/Ethel1.jpg

phoozles
November 18th, 2008, 11:15 AM
and, for no other reason, except that they feel left out, and i love that they love this tube, here's alien Alley

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/phoozles/DSCN1229.jpg

Look out Jake - alien Alley is waiting for you! :evil:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg29/phoozles/DSCN1230.jpg

Love4himies
November 18th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Awww, bet Ethel is so happy she is not out in this cold. She is looking very comfy on your lap.

How are you making out with the integration?

phoozles
November 18th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I feel bad for all the other strays around my place in this cold :sad:

She's definitely calmer around us, but still not ready to join the pride. While she doesn't freak out every time one of the others comes up to her door, she still does it quite frequently.

Some good news - when we let her into the main room, usually her eyes are very dilated and her tail is all puffy, but we've noticed that little by little, they are less so.. So we'll keep on truckin' .. This Thursday will be her third week on the meds.. We only have one week after that before we either stick with this one, or try something new..

Love4himies
November 18th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Poor girl, it will take some time for her to forget her stressful life outside where she had to be on guard 24/7 to survive.

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2008, 12:30 PM
She looks very comfy! I know what you mean about the others. I don't go near the back of my apartment complex because my heart breaks knowing there are others there I can't help. :sad:

It sounds like the medication is at least helping her keep from getting stressed which is a start.

phoozles
November 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, the two of us are a lot calmer around her too, which I think helps. We used to be terrified that she would bite us (because she did quite frequently - always out of the blue), but now she doesn't do it any more.. :thumbs up

I can't wait until she's off the meds, though - all the extra treats she's getting is making her a little portly :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Just don't get her off until you are seeing some improvement with her interaction with the others, and you may have to take her off slowly.

I kept Czari on hers for a few weeks even after I'd let her be with the others 24/7 and took her off slowly. She's now med free and doing well. She still hisses and swats at some of the others, but for the most part I don't have to worry about her fighting with anybody. Well, her and Maks get into it but they're buddies. :D

phoozles
November 18th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Oh yeah, she'll be on them for as long as she needs.. She's still not definitely ready to be with the other two yet, and even after that, we'll take it day by day ..

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2008, 02:46 PM
That's good. She still needs time to get used to them without having to be angry or afraid of the others.

I think she'll be fine.:D One day, you'll be talking about how great it is having them all in the same room.

hazelrunpack
November 18th, 2008, 04:17 PM
She's a very pretty girl! :lovestruck: She looks relaxed around you, anyway, and she'll come around with the other cats...even if one of them is an alien! :laughing:

phoozles
November 19th, 2008, 02:50 PM
:laughing: Alien Alley doesn't mean much harm .. but she will still steal my food - I think it's to do analysis on it for her species.. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I forgot about her (I have no idea how), and I left a loaf of bread on the counter.. a minute later I came back to the kitchen and heard scratching in Alley's 'room' .. Sure enough, she was man-handling the loaf of bread.. took out some tomatoes, and she grabbed one immediately and growled when I took it away :wall: :rolleyes:

I'm just used to eating things with cat bites taken out of them now ..

Speaking of which, soon I'll have some great pics that my FH took re: Alley, and the knocked over garbage can :yell: :frustrated:

ancientgirl
November 19th, 2008, 02:54 PM
LOL, Alley is too funny.

Magicwildwolf69
November 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM
she is a very pretty cat love the alien ally pic i about died laughing at the two pics :crazy:

14+kitties
November 19th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Ethel looks very at home curled up on your knee. :cloud9: Hopefully soon everything starts coming together and you will have a peaceful home. Although with Alley around......... :laughing::laughing: She is too cute. You could write a book on her adventures.

phoozles
November 20th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Alley's just lucky that she's so cute! :frustrated:
Lately she hasn't been cleaning the top of her head properly (part of me wonders what makes it crusty, but then I realize.. it's Alley .. she must have eaten something.. ) .. but the good news is that now Jake will lick her head clean :lovestruck: They won't cuddle in each other's arms, but he'll lick her and she just sits there paralysed, like she doesn't want to jinx it :laughing:

ancientgirl
November 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
That happens with Vlad. Oksana will sometimes throw him a bone and lick the top of his head. He does the same, just sits there and lets her. They have a stormy relationship.

Tundra_Queen
November 22nd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Ethel is so sweet looking! What meds is she on? I gather it is for anxiety?

Debbie

phoozles
November 24th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Yeah, she's on Clomicalm - kind of like animal prozac.. it'll be a month on Thursday, and it looks like she's either going to need more of it, or another drug.. She's a little calmer with us, but she still gives the other two a piece of her mind when they come up to her door.. :sad:

Love4himies
November 24th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Is that the same as what ancientgirl was using?

phoozles
November 24th, 2008, 12:22 PM
No, I think she was using actual Prozac.. :shrug:

ancientgirl
November 24th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I was using actual Prozac. 5mg was her dosage. I'd buy the 10mg which was what I could get at the pharmacy and just split them. I used it because one of the other vets where I go consulted with my vet and told her she'd used it in the past and had always had great results with the cats on it.

phoozles
November 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I called the vet to talk about it, but she won't be in until Wednesday morning.. So they're going to call me back and let me know what they think our next step is.. :shrug:

ancientgirl
November 24th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Phoozles, Czarina was still a little crabby towards the others for a few months. When they'd approach the screen she'd hiss and swat. It finally died down slightly a couple of weeks before I started letting her out for a few hours in the evening.

I'm thinking there will always be some hissing and swatting, at least that's how it is with me. At the moment at least they can all be in the same room, sleep on the same bed (mine), eat in the same vicinity and walk by each other without any bloodshed. If that's the best I'll have I'll take it.

phoozles
November 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I agree! It's good to hear she was doing pretty much the same thing that Ethel's doing now .. she's only been on the meds for 4 weeks, so I know it can take more time - although she has been in that room for 6 months :eek:
I can't wait until they can be in the same room - swatting or no swatting :D

ancientgirl
November 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
You'll get there. I imagine much of Ethel's problem is the fact she had the kittens with her for much of her time there in the beginning. Hopefully with the medication and more time things will get to a place where you CAN have them at least in the same room without major issues.

My biggest problem now is Czari has learned from the others she can push the screen that blocks the hallway. I have to be careful opening the front door since she's trying to either get outside or peek at the outside. :frustrated:

phoozles
November 25th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I hope you're right.. FH is going to pick up her second prescription on Thursday - so she'll be on the same meds for at least another month.

Love4himies
November 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Phoozles, Ethel is just like Sweet Pea I bet it does have something to do with being a stray, starving, and having babies.

krdahmer
November 25th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Well Ethel looks great:lovestruck: and pretty cozy there. I've never heard of clomicalm... I too used the actual prozac, but I know that with prozac you don't actually see the intended results for one to two months of being on it. Oh and the garbage-capades were hilarious!!

phoozles
November 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Phoozles, Ethel is just like Sweet Pea I bet it does have something to do with being a stray, starving, and having babies.

It probably does. Poor things don't know that we're trying to do a good thing for them! :cloud9:

Well Ethel looks great:lovestruck: and pretty cozy there. I've never heard of clomicalm... I too used the actual prozac, but I know that with prozac you don't actually see the intended results for one to two months of being on it. Oh and the garbage-capades were hilarious!!

Apparently with this drug, results could show up anywhere between a few days and a few weeks.. So far they have been minimal.. Hopefully after a couple of months she'll come around - it would be awful to have to switch her drugs after all that time..

And the garbage-capades are ongoing.. Jake loves to try and tip it over.. We had to put a brick in the bottom of the can last night to stop the madness.. :yell:
He had knocked it over last night, so I righted it, but didn't look around for damage.. A few minutes later I heard Alley growling.. I felt around in the dark to see what she was guarding, and it was something mushy :yuck:
I turned on the light it was a part of a hamburger bun from the day before.. Alley had grabbed it and screamed to high heaven when I tried to take it back .. :frustrated: :yuck:

ancientgirl
November 25th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Alley had grabbed it and screamed to high heaven when I tried to take it back .. :frustrated: :yuck:

:laughing::laughing::laughing: