Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pets not allowed in most rental homes?

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I've been steadily searching my heart out (hence my disappearance in the last few days ) for a house for rent in the new state that my finace and I are moving to. And I have come to learn that almost ALL rental homes DONT allow ANY pets...
I have FOUR animals in my 2bd 2 bth apartment that I've been renting, but all the HOUSES I've been looking at DONT allow any pets at all.... not even cats....

Is this normal? Alabama is a pretty country kind of place, and I guess I assumed that EVERYONE pretty much owned dogs and cats and all other country type animals there. For pete's sake I live in the middle of the most populated city in FL and I have a horse!

We have to rent for at least the first year, until we get married and all that good stuff. That'll give us plenty of time to get settled...and learn the area.

:sad: I have two weeks to find a place for me, the DF, Patrón, Jackson, Foose, and Mako to live....and THEN I have to find a barn to keep Expression at later on....

:yell: I'm so stressed out...

Karin
November 18th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Most of this is due to the home owners insurance policy's. Many have a "dangerous breed clause"....they can be sued and the insurance is void if there is a report of an animal bite from a tenants pet. The owner stands to lose everything.

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Have you looked into another apartment or condo? Perhaps those will be less strict.

That's pretty sad when I've known kids more destructive than any dog or cat, and yet they are allowed to live anywhere. :rolleyes:

NoahGrey
November 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I have two weeks to find a place for me, the DF, Patrón, Jackson, Foose, and Mako to live....and THEN I have to find a barn to keep Expression at later on.

Why did you wait so long? Is this move unexpected?

This is the famous, "oh I am surrending my pets, because I can't have them where I live" scenero.

If houses are a issue, why not rent a big condo or something.

ACO22

aslan
November 18th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Why did you wait so long? Is this move unexpected?

This is the famous, "oh I am surrending my pets, because I can't have them where I live" scenero.

If houses are a issue, why not rent a big condo or something.

ACO22

wow calm down aco22, yes it's a short notice move and at no time did ABM say she was giving her pets up.

duttypaws
November 18th, 2008, 01:06 PM
dont give up!! they are out there somewhere i have noticed a lot of apartments/rentals ask for a fee for animals living there... maybe you could offer something u know?

sugarcatmom
November 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I wonder if some of the links on this HSUS page would be of any help to you: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/renting_with_pets_the_online_resource_for_rental_m anagers_and_pet_owners/

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Whoa...
I would NEVER surrender my animals... They are my children. :mad: I'm actually rather offended by that.

I have plenty of family that would take care of them until DH to be and I BUY a house. But I think I might have found a really nice coulple who are ok with renting to me with ALL my animals....

Please dont assume something you have NO idea about.

Yes its VERY short notice... Its called Job RELOCATION...

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I also dont want another Apartment...
I am really hoping this house works out... it has a HUGE yard! The boys would love it!

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Have you looked into another apartment or condo? Perhaps those will be less strict.

That's pretty sad when I've known kids more destructive than any dog or cat, and yet they are allowed to live anywhere. :rolleyes:

:laughing: I am with you on this one!
I just REALLY want a yard! Where the dogs can play OFF leash! They are inside dogs... but they LOVE to be outside.

NoahGrey
November 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I didn't meant to offend. I was just talking through experience after experience. I work for a Humane Society and see it on a daily basis. And yes, some have been the on the floor crying because they don't want to give up their pets. And sadly, the number one reason is because of moving and their new place does not accept pets.

ACO22

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2008, 01:48 PM
:laughing: I am with you on this one!
I just REALLY want a yard! Where the dogs can play OFF leash! They are inside dogs... but they LOVE to be outside.

I just read your other post, that's great you found a couple that doesn't mind your furries.

I'd love to be able to have a yard so I could build my gang some sort of outside play area and still be assured they will be safe from wandering off.

Hopefully the yard is nice and big and safe so they can't escape. I know you'll be checking on that!

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I just read your other post, that's great you found a couple that doesn't mind your furries.

I'd love to be able to have a yard so I could build my gang some sort of outside play area and still be assured they will be safe from wandering off.

Hopefully the yard is nice and big and safe so they can't escape. I know you'll be checking on that!

YES! DH to be is going up there this weekend to see it.
Dogs wont be outside alone though, Patrón has tendencies to CLIMB chain link fences... He's MUCH happier in the house while we arent home. Besides with his extra short hair, its MUCH to chilly to be outside for toooo long! Lol I know... my boys are sissy mommas boys.

I guess I just never knew that almost ALL rental homes dont allow animals! But I can see why with the insurance issues. I'm sure its just EASIER not to allow them, not to mention cheaper on the home owner.

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well, I don't blame you anyway. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving any of my pets, cat or dog, outside while I'm not there. If I had a dog, I'd feel more comfortable putting them in a spare room while I'm not there than leaving them outside. It could be too hot, too cold, rain, snow. It's more comfy being inside.

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Most definitely!
I HATE to see dogs chained up outside. Makes me want to chain the owners up for a day and see how THEY like it.
Not to mention, there aren't couches and beds for the boys to take nappies on outside! :laughing:

Tundra_Queen
November 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I also dont want another Apartment...
I am really hoping this house works out... it has a HUGE yard! The boys would love it!

Hi
I hope the house works out for you! I was thinking that if it doesn't maybe u could find a real estater person, who could find you a house that you could rent? Just a thought.
Good luck!

Debbie

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Thank TQ!
Thats exaclty what I've been doing! They arent much help as of yet.... I found the house we're looking at right now on my own, but I we're still looking. I want to find at least 3-4 different ones for him to see when he goes up.

snowflake1
November 18th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I didn't meant to offend. I was just talking through experience after experience. I work for a Humane Society and see it on a daily basis. And yes, some have been the on the floor crying because they don't want to give up their pets. And sadly, the number one reason is because of moving and their new place does not accept pets.

ACO22

I am with you on that. I told my husband who was moving to a different city that if we could find a place that allows pets, I will stay where I am until we do. There was no way I was going to give them up. Lucky we bought a house so we don't have to worry about that. :)
I don't understand why people can't just look harder when finding places to live. there is always that allow pets, but they may just be hard to find.

AmericanBullMom
November 18th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Again, I NEVER said ANYTHING about giving up ANY of my pets...
I was just wondering WHY all these places dont allow pets and if other people had this same issue.

babymomma
November 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM

ACO22

Your not the only one on this forum that rescues animals and deals with losers that give up their pets for stupid reasons. But you do seem to be the only one that will jump to conclusions rather quickly without knowing all the facts. I think it was a rather rude statement. And i too would be VERY offended by it.

Karin
November 18th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Your not the only one on this forum that rescues animals and deals with losers that give up their pets for stupid reasons. But you do seem to be the only one that will jump to conclusions rather quickly without knowing all the facts. I think it was a rather rude statement. And i too would be VERY offended by it.

We should put this to rest. I to worked at a shelter (no kill) Never again I might ad, but thats not why I'm posting this.
I ran the intake and hospital, the number one reason for drop offs was ""We're moving". It get's to you. I left that job in 1996 and it still get's to me , bothers me all the time. When I was at that shelter, on a major highway in Orlando, some people did not bother to slow down to DROP off their animals!
Come on people! Lighten up....the crap you see people do to their pets makes us victims too.