Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New to cat world!

klwswa
November 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Greetings to all of you!

I have been viewing your forums here for a few days and have the time to write an introduction of myself and my new friend, Cashmere. She appears to be in pretty good health according to the vet, approx 1 1/2-3 yrs old and
spayed. She was abandoned by a household that had too many people and other pets when they moved out of the neighborhood of my ex-husband. The girls next door started feeding her (Alley Cat dry food mix) and allowed her to sleep in their garage..she had access to the outside area. However, they have three big dogs and my ex has two big dogs (see attchd pix of Chance the blue heeler and Moose a chow/Shepherd) and this sheltering had gone on for almost a year!
I live in a townhouse with a nice courtyard, 18' ft walls that allows her to still go outside but not be able to get out of the yard or be endangered by other animals. She is very sociable, affectionate, fastidiously clean...no problems transporting her to the vet and no panic when he gave her the vaccines and rabies' shot. He did state that she appeared to have a rodent ulcer on her upper lip and gave her a shot of Depo-Medrol and told me that she would need this shot once a month for life! However, in researching this forum and other websites, it has been suggested that changing her diet and adding a high protein, wet food diet may alleviate this condition. She does not have any other evidence of this condition on her paws or skin, nor does this ulcer bother her with regard to eating dry food. I did switch to a 'better' quality dry food designed for indoor cats and have added a couple of pouches of wet food by Wiskas (I did check ingredient list) a day as well.
Sorry to have made this introduction so long, but overall, I think this was a great match for the both of us. I have been lucky to be able to have the daily contact of my ex's dogs for the last four years, but unable to have dogs in my complex or with my work schedule. I had a cat when I was a child (about 40 years ago, lol) and knock on wood, so far no evidence of allergies- for either of us. Anyway, I have posted a couple of pictures as well and she seems to be pretty happy. Not into games or toys..yet, but she hasn't scratched up any furniture, uses her litter pan with no problem...just a great little kitty!

sugarcatmom
November 18th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Greetings to all of you!

And hello to you and Cashmere! Thanks for taking her in and giving her a loving home.

He did state that she appeared to have a rodent ulcer on her upper lip and gave her a shot of Depo-Medrol and told me that she would need this shot once a month for life!

Yikes! Very poor advice from this vet, I have to say. Maybe he's hoping she'll become diabetic, and then he can make even more money off you (I'm joking, somewhat). Anyway, you're right to question this. Many cats with rodent ulcers have fewer problems once they're on a species appropriate diet, which does not include dry food. If you can wean her off the dry and on to a quality canned food (like Wellness, Innova Evo 95% meat, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature Organics), Cashmere will be much better off. A raw diet would be even better, but that depends on your comfort level.

More reading on diet and all the things affected by it in felines: http://www.catinfo.org/

Please hold off on getting anymore steroid shots. That only suppresses the symptoms, it does nothing to deal with the source of the problem.

Love4himies
November 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
My daughter's cat has EGC and her vet has limited to 3 life time shots, no closer than 2 months apart.

She hasn't found any food that has worked except the vet hypoallergenic food :sad:

Tundra_Queen
November 18th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi there!

Welcome to the forum! I'm so glad that u rescued poor Cashmere. Sounds like she is one lucky cat to have found you! :)

What is a rodent ulcer? I have never heard of that before.

Debbie

sugarcatmom
November 18th, 2008, 03:54 PM
What is a rodent ulcer? I have never heard of that before.

Some info on Feline Eosinophilic Ulcers (aka "rodent ulcer"): http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/eulcer.html

hazelrunpack
November 18th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Welcome, klwswa and Cashmere.

She looks like a lovely kitty! :lovestruck: Looking forward to seeing more pics of her and hearing about your adventures together. You'll get lots of really good pointers from the cat gurus on board...of which I'm very definitely not one, being overrun by dogs :o

Enjoy your stay! :D

klwswa
November 18th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Cashmere and I both thank you for the welcome and additional sources for information. She loves 'wet food', but haven't tried raw meats yet and I will start weaning her off the dry food diet. What about 'treats or kibbles'?
We look forward to your pictures and I will keep trying on my camera for even better pictures.

sugarcatmom
November 18th, 2008, 07:29 PM
What about 'treats or kibbles'?

There are some great, high quality treats out there, but you might have to shop around to find them (I would stay away from most treats at the grocery store or big box pet stores). My cat goes nuts for freeze dried meat treats, like Halo Liv-a-Littles (http://shop.halopets.com/Natural-Treats) or Real Food Toppers (http://www.realfoodtoppers.com/shopping/index.php?view=category&path=15). Benny Bully's (http://www.bennybullys.com/) freeze dried liver bits are also very popular around here.

Or you could lightly boil some chicken breast and freeze bite-sized pieces. Some cats also love the leftover broth.