Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New- Dog/Cat Compatibility Issues

DollyLlama
November 18th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hi. My name is Jenn. I am new to the forums and came in search of some much needed advise in how to deal with some compatibility issues between our new dog and our cat.

I've had my cat Audrey for a year. She's a 3yr.old deaf cat. She's declawed. I didn't do it. Her previous owner did. I acquired her through a neighbor who preyed on my inability to say no to a cute cat. :) And I wouldn't trade Audrey for the world. She is a lap cat and my baby.

We recently moved to a new house on a 1/2 acre in the woods. And after some coyote run-ins and a suspected break-in, my husband and I argued over gun vs. dog. I have always wanted a dog. I grew up with lab mixes and loved a dog's companionship just as much as a cat's. So I found us a Valley Bulldog/Bullboxer. His name is Duke. He's a 4 yr. old Valley Bulldog/Bullboxer. He's got champion pedigree parents and is CKC registered. :) Current on all shots and in great health.
I found his ad in the paper and called his owners and talked. Seems their neighbors were frightened by Duke's size and threatened to shoot him. We drove up to meet Duke and spend time with him. He's a wonderful dog and took to us immediately as we took to him. My husband and I have a 3 yr. old son and since living with us, Duke has yet to leave our son's side. He is so wonderful with our son.
But our issue is with Duke and Audrey. Duke has a history with cats. He loves cats and loves to play with them. Audrey has not taken to this behavior. She's been given a safe place to hide with access to food and water but I don't want this to go on like it has been.
Duke sniffs out Audrey, tries to play with her, she hisses and smacks him. He barks, wags his stub tail, etc. b/c he thinks she's playing. My husband has to pull Duke away.
I can get Duke to stop. If he sniffs her out I stomp my foot, clap my hands, and say, "No, Duke. Out." And he will leave the room. My husband isn't so lucky. ;) I guess it takes a woman's touch.

But I need some suggestions on how to make this transition for Audrey smoother and how to get Duke to take a calmer approach to her. Only once has he seen her and left her alone. I'd like for them to be friends of sorts but the advice friends and family have given isn't working.

Any suggestions? We love both our animal friends and wouldn't want to rehome anyone.

dogcatharmony
November 18th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I really don't have a lot of advice, but I know when I brought my pup home I kept her on leash around the cats and made sure she knew "leave it" or "no". And I never never allow chasing.

It's been four years and my one cat (he was 8 when I brought the dog home) has never warmed up to the dog. He could care less, he still comes downstairs and sneaks past the dog to get to the couch. But he isn't cool with her sticking her nose in his business. If he gets too rowdy I need to put him back upstairs because he has no fear of the dog.

My other cat has her moments, but they began to trust more when I had the dog under control.

How long has it been since you introduced the two of them?

clm
November 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Welcome, would love to see pics of your cat and dog!Hi. My name is Jenn. I am new to the forums and came in search of some much needed advise in how to deal with some compatibility issues between our new dog and our cat.

I've had my cat Audrey for a year. She's a 3yr.old deaf cat. She's declawed. I didn't do it. Her previous owner did. I acquired her through a neighbor who preyed on my inability to say no to a cute cat. :) And I wouldn't trade Audrey for the world. She is a lap cat and my baby.

We recently moved to a new house on a 1/2 acre in the woods. And after some coyote run-ins and a suspected break-in, my husband and I argued over gun vs. dog. I have always wanted a dog. I grew up with lab mixes and loved a dog's companionship just as much as a cat's. So I found us a Valley Bulldog/Bullboxer. His name is Duke. He's a 4 yr. old Valley Bulldog/Bullboxer. He's got champion pedigree parents and is CKC registered. :) I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the CKC registers Bulldogs or Boxers, there is no Valley Bulldog/Bullboxer in the CKC registerable breeds.Current on all shots and in great health.
I found his ad in the paper and called his owners and talked. Seems their neighbors were frightened by Duke's size and threatened to shoot him. We drove up to meet Duke and spend time with him. He's a wonderful dog and took to us immediately as we took to him. My husband and I have a 3 yr. old son and since living with us, Duke has yet to leave our son's side. He is so wonderful with our son.
But our issue is with Duke and Audrey. Duke has a history with cats. He loves cats and loves to play with them. Audrey has not taken to this behavior. She's been given a safe place to hide with access to food and water but I don't want this to go on like it has been. You'll need to give her some time to get used to having the dog around. You may even find her try to go over and have a sniff at him when he's sleeping once she gets brave enough.
Duke sniffs out Audrey, tries to play with her, she hisses and smacks him. He barks, wags his stub tail, etc. b/c he thinks she's playing. My husband has to pull Duke away.
I can get Duke to stop. If he sniffs her out I stomp my foot, clap my hands, and say, "No, Duke. Out." And he will leave the room. My husband isn't so lucky. ;) I guess it takes a woman's touch.

But I need some suggestions on how to make this transition for Audrey smoother and how to get Duke to take a calmer approach to her. Only once has he seen her and left her alone. I'd like for them to be friends of sorts but the advice friends and family have given isn't working.
As long as the cat has somewhere she can go to get away from the dog if she wants, and as long as the dog has no intentions of harming her, I would just give them time to adjust. I have 3 indoor cats and 2 of them have adjusted to our dogs just fine. The third wants nothing to do with them at all.
Any suggestions? We love both our animal friends and wouldn't want to rehome anyone.

Lot's of time and patience and I'm sure it'll work out fine.

Cindy

flipgirl4
November 19th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I've had a dog for almost 2 years. I took in a cat who was abandoned in August. My dog, Kiri, loves to play and the first time they met, Schweppie hissed and swiped at her (luckily for Kiri, he's declawed). Kiri backed off and sat in the corner with a look of disbelief - she could not believe that another animal would not want to play with her! I wish I had videotaped it...the look on her face was precious!

All kidding aside, it has taken 3 months for Schweppie to even want to be close to Kiri. He will sleep on the bed with us and he even sleeps in Kiri's crate sometimes. But he still does not play with her. He just keeps his distance. Sometimes, if Kiri and I are playing fetch, Schweppie will watch Kiri and try and swipe at her as she runs by. But that is the extent of it. Kiri stalks him so she can eat his food but she;s given up on Schweppie being her playmate.

So my point is, it might take a while but Audrey will be okay with Duke. She has a place where she can escape so that is good.

sugarcatmom
November 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Here is a link for you to read about integrating cats and dogs: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf
I think you have to be very careful with a dog that wants to play with a deaf, declawed cat. Even with no intentions to harm, a dog can do serious damage to a cat in the name of play. Since Audrey doesn't have claws to tell Duke that no means no, you and your husband are going to have to be her advocates. I would make sure Duke's obedience is top-notch, and I would have a zero tolerance policy on him making any moves on her. If she feels like sniffing him out, that's one thing, but not the other way around. Read the link I gave you, it has tips that may help.

DollyLlama
November 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Here is a link for you to read about integrating cats and dogs: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf
I think you have to be very careful with a dog that wants to play with a deaf, declawed cat. Even with no intentions to harm, a dog can do serious damage to a cat in the name of play. Since Audrey doesn't have claws to tell Duke that no means no, you and your husband are going to have to be her advocates. I would make sure Duke's obedience is top-notch, and I would have a zero tolerance policy on him making any moves on her. If she feels like sniffing him out, that's one thing, but not the other way around. Read the link I gave you, it has tips that may help.

Thank you for the link! I am going to check that out!

All day yesterday when I went to the bathroom (Audrey has been hiding in my closet which is in the bathroom- I leave the door cracked with food/water/litterbox access in private) and Audrey would come out, I'd love on her. If I opened the door and Duke was waiting I would pet Audrey in front of him, then pet him while holding Audrey. He did nothing!! She did nothing!

Last night, I was actually able to hold Audrey and walk around the house with her! Duke followed me but did nothing! :)

Then again, DH held on to Duke and I held Audrey and I let them look at each other. We let Duke snuffle Audrey and he had that tongue ready to issue a heart lick (he's a licker) and then she drew up and hissed which upset him so we put her back and removed Duke. We praised him every time he stayed and didn't jump up to lick her. So we're very proud.

Its a slow process.

Its been---4 days since they've been introduced so it hasn't been long. Duke is starting to lose interest. And I think Audrey is just not keen on this "invader." I hope to, in time, have my sleeping buddy back.

Stacer
November 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
In April my husband and I adopted a lab/rottie girlie and brought her home to our 2 resident felines. Believe me when I tell you it was NOT a smooth transition from being a 2 pet household to a 3 pet household.

After about 3-4 months things finally seemed to fall into place and now it's been almost 9 months and there is peace in our house.

Here's what we did.

We gave one bedroom to the cats, put a babygate across the door (screwed in to the frame so the dog couldn't knock it over), put everything the cats needed into the room. When we weren't home, the cats were put into the room and the door was closed (no unsupervised mingling, as the dog liked to chase the cats) For the first several weeks the cats didn't come out of the room but could watch the dog from a safe distance and get used to the smells and vice versa.

The cats eventually started to venture out and we kept the dog on a leash so we could grab her should she try to chase. We would consistently verbally correct her with "leave it". It got to the point where a cat could walk into the room and the dog wouldn't move. We still closed the bedroom door when we weren't home.

The more the cats' confidence grew, the less interested the dog seemed to be. By the 2nd month the cats were hanging out with us in the main part of the house 100% of the time and by the end of the 3rd month we were leaving the bedroom door open (with babygate still on).

It was a long and painful process for us, things don't work themselves out in only a few weeks, you have to be consistent and patient and use positive reinforcement to make your dog comply. We also did a basic obedience class just to strengthen the bond with our dog and make sure we're all on the same page with commands (she seemed to have been trained previously).

Goodluck getting your dog and cat to coexist peacefully.