Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What could be wrong with our Mini daschund?

Rubicon
November 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM
She just started randomly yelping today. Seems the space between the end of her ribs and back legs is causing it. I'm not sure if thats muscle or her stomach in that are but whenever you touch it she tenses up and yelps (no we're not constantly touching her there either).

Any ideas what this could be?

She's the black and tan on the left:

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album46/dogs.jpg

Frenchy
November 17th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I'm sorry but no one here will be able to make a diagnostic , you really need to take your dog to a vet. If she yelping , it means she's in pain !

hazelrunpack
November 17th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Dachshunds are very prone to spinal injuries, so if she's tender along the back, she needs to see a vet ASAP. Meanwhile, try to keep her quiet to avoid aggravating the injury.

She's a real cutie! Good luck at the vet's! :goodvibes:

Karin
November 17th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Dachshunds are very prone to spinal injuries, so if she's tender along the back, she needs to see a vet ASAP. Meanwhile, try to keep her quiet to avoid aggravating the injury.

She's a real cutie! Good luck at the vet's! :goodvibes:

What she said. Dachshunds are the champions of spinal surgery at university vet teaching hospitals.
Good luck!

bendyfoot
November 18th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Just saw this now. If you haven't already taken her to the vet, do it RIGHT NOW. In the meantime, crate her, do not allow her to run or jump and she she only be allowed outside to pee/poo, and should supportively be carried by you in and outside. With this breed, and their propensity for disk injuries, your actions in the immediate future could mean the difference between a healthy active life and paralysis. Don't fool around with this one.

BenMax
November 18th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Could be a disk. This is common in dashies and bassets. If it is this, then surgery may be required.

This is just a thought. Please act on this immediately as only a vet can diagnose. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Tundra_Queen
November 18th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Hi
I'm so sorry to hear about your pup. Like others have said get her to the vets right away.

I had a dashound and we almost lost her because of her back and compications. The vet told us she was not allowed to jump up on the couch or bed anymore and definately not jump down. We had to carry her up and down the stairs and carry her outside until she got better. It was about 27 years ago, so I can't remember what meds she was put on. But after she recovered and no longer jumped up and down on things she lived to a ripe old age.

Good luck.

Debbie