Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Harasses Cat

mason204
November 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Hi everyone:

I've had my 2 year old bichon for 1 month now. He's come into our home where we've had a cat for 4 years. Prior to living with us, he's only seen cats once or twice when with his former owner. Our dog loves to play and whenever our cat comes inside, the dog immediately goes over to him and sniffs him. The sniffing turns to humping and generally getting in the cat's face. He barks at the cat, circles him, chases him and won't leave him alone.

My cat is pretty laid back and will hiss or swat at the dog if he's REALLY provoked. Most times he just stands there wishing the dog would go away. I realize now that the dog thinks the cat is also a dog and can't understand why the cat won't acknowledge or play with him.

How do you train a dog to leave a cat alone. The play isn't vicious at this point, just annoying.

Any advice would be helpful.

sugarcatmom
November 17th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Here's an article you might find has some helpful tips: http://www.labadoption.org/linkpages/DogBehave/Articles/Cats.pdf

Basically it amounts to improving your dog's obedience (sit, stay, leave-it commands) and not allowing the harassment to occur. You may have to tie the dog to you when in the presence of the cat until his obedience is more reliable.