Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog wont come in from the rain

Joeyjoejoe
November 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
So my friend has a female husky that is about 9 years old. She is a bit of an oddity because she usually does not like getting her paws wet. However recently, she wouldn't come back into the house even when it rains. She would be soaking wet, but prefers to stay in the rain.

My friend thinks that there might be a correlation between switching on the heat. The room temperature might be too warm, but he keeps his house very cool. The other theory is much bleaker... due to her age, she may be trying to distance herself from the family.

Any ideas on why she's doing this?

hazelrunpack
November 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Grace hates being wet, but for a while she wouldn't come in from the basement yard even if it was pouring down rain. Turned out that she was afraid of the slippery floor in the exposed basement. So until fugured out how to manage the floor when it was wet, we put down a runner so she could make it easily to the steps.

Could your friend's dog have slipped on the floor?

satchelp
November 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
One of my dogs is exactly like this (also a northern breed). What I ended up doing is getting a dog house for those times when he refuses to come indoors (which happens mostly in the winter as well, when the heat is on), and he will go in there when it rains or snows, or the weather is otherwise uncomfortable. I was getting pretty stressed out over this until I got the dog house. I do drag him inside overnight though.

Joeyjoejoe
November 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Grace hates being wet, but for a while she wouldn't come in from the basement yard even if it was pouring down rain. Turned out that she was afraid of the slippery floor in the exposed basement. So until fugured out how to manage the floor when it was wet, we put down a runner so she could make it easily to the steps.

Could your friend's dog have slipped on the floor?

Wet paws on a kitchen floor could get a little slippery... not to mention that they changed all their carpet to laminate (side note... that carpet was used to make my massive cat tree for my boys).

But it just seems odd for a dog that hates even getting her paws wet would want to stay outside in the rain. My friend will probably get a dog house and at the very least she can stay dry...