Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puckers - Puckering a cat - by Carmy De Fabrizio

marko
November 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM
In the quest to immortalize my wife Carmy, I'd like it known that she invented a word....or gave an existing word a new meaning :)

She uses the term to pucker or puckering or puckers to describe the repetitive (gentle) whacks that you give to the sides of a cat's butt. This action excites most cats and they'll often start scratching on a carpet while lifting their butts for more puckers.

Thinking back to grade 8 or 9 English I believe the word onomatopoeia describes words that imitate the sounds they make. Buzz, splash, and even purr and good examples as these words sound like the noises that they make.
I dare say the word pucker (puck) follows the same pattern.

At least in my house it IS a word, and the phrase "did you give Ziglet puckers", or "did you pucker Zig", or "let's give Ziglet a good puckering" can be heard many times a week.

Now how do we get 'official support for the word' :D

thx
Marko

sugarcatmom
November 16th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I've always referred to them as "bum-smacks", but puckers is cute! Reminds me of this "cat spanking" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SF7G9UjVi0

marko
November 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Oh you mean the cat puckering video? :D

That was very cute and is exactly what I'm talking about but it looks like those whacks are just a bit too hard.

Carmy and I are gentler when we pucker Ziglet. :)

sugarcatmom
November 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Carmy and I are gentler when we pucker Ziglet. :)

Me too. I mean when I "pucker" Aztec :D. He's too arthritic to go for the rough stuff, but it does seem like some cats really like it hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6a8T5Z5wkk

Karin
November 16th, 2008, 03:24 PM
This is the funniest thing I have read in a very long time.

joeysmama
November 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Oh my--I'm glad you're gentle with Ziglet. The whacks on the video seemd a little rough, although I think that maybe whatever they were using just made kind of a big sound but was maybe not so hard??

I think "pucker" is a great word. Let's all use it so as to get it in the common domain. :D

marko
November 17th, 2008, 01:45 AM
....I think "pucker" is a great word. Let's all use it so as to get it in the common domain. :D

Thanks for that:highfive: - Carmy will get a big kick out of this when I show it to her! :D

chico2
November 17th, 2008, 06:51 AM
OMG,I have never heard of this and I've had cats most of my life.
A friend of mine used to do that to his Siamese girl(:rip:Winslet),I used to think he was cruel,she was 20yrs old and really skinny,but she loved it,strange:laughing:

bendyfoot
November 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
My cats both LOVE spankings (puckerings?)...Sol likes 'em good and hard, his eyes squish up in ecstacy and he kneeds and purrs....DW used to have a cat who used to love the flyswatter...for puckers...:laughing:

Jim Hall
November 17th, 2008, 08:22 AM
lol well i never ...

we do a lot of butt scrathing though though

Stacer
November 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Yup, I've puckered many a butt in my time. Haven't met a cat who doesn't like a good puckering now and then.:laughing:

Melinda
November 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Yup, I've puckered many a butt in my time. Haven't met a cat who doesn't like a good puckering now and then.:laughing:

not going there at all....uh uh...nope:eek:

aslan
November 18th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Marko tell Carmy from us that we think puckering is a great word and that the canine species like it too. our one little guy will back right up to you and kick you to pucker his butt.

marko
November 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Cool - thanks so much everyone :highfive:
(Off to Pucker Zig for a few minutes :p)

dogcatharmony
November 18th, 2008, 08:38 AM
hmmmm apparently my Amos does not like his butt puckered......he almost had my hands for breakfast. Never heard of that or tried that before......I still have another cat to try it on.....Maybe it will go over better with her.

ancientgirl
November 18th, 2008, 12:24 PM
:laughing: Mine love getting hiney slapped now and then, mostly Oksana and Kiska. I don't do it hard though, I can't hurt my babies.:cloud9:

JennieV
November 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM
DGH, start slowly, with light puckers...some cats may be confused..Max responded with violence the first few times, but now demands puckering by pushing my hand up and putting his bum right under it...LOL
Marko, its a GREAT word! :thumbs up

chico2
November 18th, 2008, 03:43 PM
We tried it,or I should say,hubby tried it,Chico loves it,but Rocky gave him a"what the heck are you doing" ,look:laughing:
Vinnie is so padded,I don't think he even felt it:cat:

marko
November 18th, 2008, 04:03 PM
So glad people are adopting Carmy's word (which she has been using in this way for at least 20 years):grouphug:

For those that have never puckered a cat, ease into it.
Start with normal petting down the back then give extremely gentle puckers to the sides of the butt to see if they like it - most cats do in my experience.