Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can i do this? Or will it efect her health?

babymomma
November 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi there guys! Keelys spay is on the 21st, so since we will be in the aerea of grandfalls, i will be picking up a new kind of food (Wellness) We are curently on eagle pack holisstic select. But I was wondering, keely will be 7 months old (:eek:) On the 24th and she is on the larger side, has all of her adult teeth, so could i feed her this food--->http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_dry_super5mix_small_adult_health.html It says to start feeding this at 9 months, but would it be okay to start feeding it now? If i pick up a bag of puppy food, it will not be gone by the age of 9 months, even with the smallest bag (keely isnt a big eater) And i reeeaaally want to get the above food as soon as possible(thanks to chases_mom for pointing it out to me:thumbs up). So would it be okay? :confused: Like ive said before, im clueless when it comes to this kinda thing..

BTW- Keely is a whopping 8 lbs at the age of 6 months (almost 7) but breeder said she wont get any bigger now.. I love my hogous yorkie:cloud9::lovestruck:

Chaser
November 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM
That's kind of a tough call. It wouldn't really harm her, but I personally think I would wait just a little bit. Could you get a small bag of puppy food? Even if it totally isn't gone when she is 9 months remember that you should switch food slowly so you will ned some puppy food to do the transition with and can feed half-and-half for a little while. But you won't harm Keely by introducing adult food a little early or even a little late. It isn't an exact science and just depends on the dog. :)

Kahne9Lover
November 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
The general store where I get my dog's food often has sample packs, maybe you can try to get some of those to mix in the meantime with her regular. They do this with almost all of their higher quality foods if they can, since you can't return an opened expensive bag of food. You may want to wait until she is recovered from her spay to try to switch, though, she may not want to try anything different until she is feeling better and the less stress, the better. I can't believe Keely is almost 7 months already :eek: it seems like yesterday you were getting ready to explode with excitement!:)