Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Another kitty litter question

flipgirl4
November 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I have been a first-time owner of an abandoned cat. I'm not really a cat lover but I couldn't handle seeing this poor guy starve and live outside with no claws. I originally took him in just to wait until I could find a home for him but I seem to have become attached to the little fellow (I'm allergic to cats too). Anyway, I was reading the other thread on kitty litter and I have a question...

I know a pregnant woman can't go near cat litter but is it the cat litter itself or the cat feces/urine or both combined? If it is the litter, would the pine or newspaper pellets be different? (I'm not pregnant but my sister-in-law is).

I would appreciate your help.

growler~GateKeeper
November 16th, 2008, 02:49 AM
For me with one cat a 7lbs bag of clay litter cost $7.99+tax lasted about 2.5 weeks needing a complete box change every 1-2 weeks. A 20lbs bag of Feline Fresh (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/feline.htm) pine pellets cost $9.99+tax lasts 4 weeks needing a complete change with every new bag so once every 4 weeks or so. The used sawdust you scoop out with either a small plastic shovel or I use a wide slot litter scoop & dump it into a colander to sift out just the dust into the garbage, leaving all unused pellets to go back into the box. Then as the amount of pellets decreases in the box you just add a little more to the top until the time comes to do a full change. Feline Fresh also has a frequent buyer rebate program on their website buy 6 bags same product/same size get 1 bag free :D.

There is a nice slight pine scent that naturally controls amonia odor, when wet it smells a little like wet wood. Personally I didn't like the smell of the Swheat when wet had a yeasty smell.

Pregnant women shouldn't clean the litter box because of an parasite passed in cat feces called Toxoplasmosis (http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1359&aid=770). Even though the parasite is in the cat feces doesn't mean the cat is sick, unless they are showing symptoms. Has nothing to do with the type of litter just the feces. However for the health of everyone, cats included, one shouldn't use clay litter the dust cloggs up the lungs and the clumping litters (http://www.thelighthouseonline.com/articles/clump.html) especially are harmful when the cat cleans their feet after visiting the box injesting the litter which forms a hard mass in their stomach/intestines which can swell creating a deadly blockage. Even the non-clumping clay litters are made of the same material which is still very unhealthy for them to injest.

Even though the pine litter is flushable one should also not flush cat feces down the toilet because the waste water from the sewage treatment plant carries the toxoplamosis parasite out to the waterways infecting and harming marine mammals.

sugarcatmom
November 16th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Everything you ever wanted to know about toxoplasmosis: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html

The thing is, people are way more likely to be exposed to the T. gondi parasite when gardening without gloves, and eating unwashed fruits/vegetables or undercooked meat. As long as the litter box is scooped daily (and the individual isn't getting poop on their hands), contact with the parasite in cat feces is rather negligible.
Oocysts passed in a catís feces are not immediately infectious to other animals. They must first go through a process called sporulation, which takes one to five days depending on environmental conditions.
Having said that, however, it IS a fabulous excuse to get men in the habit of doing it! Better safe than sorry, right?;)

chico2
November 16th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Flip-girl,maybe it's already been said,but I just want to thank you for taking this kitty in,they are quiet defenseless without their claws:sad:also with winter coming,his chances of survival would be slim.:thankyou:

Chaser
November 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM
For me with one cat a 7lbs bag of clay litter cost $7.99+tax lasted about 2.5 weeks needing a complete box change every 1-2 weeks. A 20lbs bag of Feline Fresh (http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/feline.htm) pine pellets cost $9.99+tax lasts 4 weeks needing a complete change with every new bag so once every 4 weeks or so.

Growler - have you ever used the Feline Fresh Scoopable? I'd like to transition Rupert to it once we have him a while, but I think the pellets might be too much change right away. I'm wondering if you can get the same value with the scoopable (approx. 1 bag/month) like you talked about with the pine pellets.

duttypaws
November 16th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I use the flushable stuff mainly cos i live in apartment.

My fave is President Choice Flushable....

just dont try crystals i did... not fun at all... :|

chico2
November 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Chase_Mom,I would use whatever he has been used to at Toonces for now and if you don't like it,after a while in his new home,maybe you could gradually change it.
I tried pine-pellets a long time ago and my cats did their business beside the boxes:yell:
I also tried the Wheat-litter with no success and Yesterdays news,so I am back to the clumping clay,I buy it at Costco,change the entire litter every to weeks and pick up the little presents about 3 times daily.

Chaser
November 16th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Chase_Mom,I would use whatever he has been used to at Toonces for now and if you don't like it,after a while in his new home,maybe you could gradually change it.

Yep, I'm planning on making a slow change...will just use what he's used to at first.

I tried pine-pellets a long time ago and my cats did their business beside the boxes:yell:

That's what I'm expecting would happen....so I want to use the ground pine dust in the hope it won't seem too different to him. Either way I want to use a more eco-friendly litter eventually.

I also tried the Wheat-litter with no success and Yesterdays news,so I am back to the clumping clay,I buy it at Costco,change the entire litter every to weeks and pick up the little presents about 3 times daily.

Yep, my cousin told me if I don't have any success with the pine then Costco is the way too go. Sounds like the most economical place to get litter!

flipgirl4
November 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks a million for your replies! I surely don't want this cat to have a lump of clay in his belly! And I'll pass on the info about pregnant women and cat feces to my sil. This poor cat, deserted by its owner into a home where the owner doesn't know anything!

growler~GateKeeper
November 16th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Growler - have you ever used the Feline Fresh Scoopable? I'd like to transition Rupert to it once we have him a while, but I think the pellets might be too much change right away. I'm wondering if you can get the same value with the scoopable (approx. 1 bag/month) like you talked about with the pine pellets.

I haven't used the scoopable but my mum does for her cat, I haven't asked how long it lasts her but I'm sure it's the same amount.

I use the flushable stuff mainly cos i live in apartment.

Even though the pine litter is flushable one should also not flush cat feces down the toilet because the waste water from the sewage treatment plant carries the toxoplamosis parasite out to the waterways infecting and harming marine mammals.

Again no one shouldn't be flushing any cat excrement:
Toxoplasmosis Parasite in cat feces killing sea otters (http://www.oar.noaa.gov/spotlite/archive/spot_otter.html) another article here (http://cats.about.com/cs/parasiticdisease/a/seaotters.htm)

plus that clay litter is swelling up and clogging the sewage pipes creating a blockage, same as what could happen in your cat's stomach when they wash their feet after stepping in the litterbox:

from http://www.thelighthouseonline.com/articles/clump.html
"Sodium bentonite, a naturally swelling clay, is often added as an extremely effective clumping agent. When liquid is added, bentonite swells to approximately 15 times its original volume. But because sodium bentonite acts as an expandable cement would, litters containing sodium bentonite should never be flushed; when they expand they can block plumbing."

kanis
November 17th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I also live in a condo. I used to use the clay clumping with my cat Ares. It was too dusty. I now use the Feline Pine pellets - will be switching to a cheaper Equine pellet brand next I think. Anyway, we use the Litter Locker. It's really handy. Just put the poop in the bin, turn the wheel and the poop and smell are locked away. We just dump the bag when it's full. The best thing ever!

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3760029dt.jpg

CaptainOlimar
November 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM
The Litter Locker is my next purchase I think!

I picked up clumpable Feline Fresh pine litter at Canadian Tire yesterday and already love it!!! Just wish it came in bigger bags, with two kittens and three adults the presents add up!

I like that it's softer on the paws and I will probably use less because it clumps. Was using pine pellets previously.

I don't flush because it's not good for the marine environment.