Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help Please!!

cindy66
November 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I have a 11mth old cocker spaniel that won't stoop eating her poop.As soon as she poos she eats it.I have to clean up right after she goes.I have fed her Orijen & will be switching to the adult soon.

sugarcatmom
November 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Coprophagia isn't all that unusual in dogs and the only fool-proof method for stopping it is to pick up the poop right away. More info: http://home.gci.net/~divs/behavior/coprophagia.html

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Disgusting as it is to us, the dogs seem to relish it. :yuck: It's a hard habit to break in dogs. The only things that have worked at all for us is to teach the 'leave it' command and pick the poop up as soon as they go. We have 8 dogs, 3 of whom enjoy the occasional poop, so this does keep us hoppin'! :D

An added benefit is that your yard stays nice and clean since you're on poop patrol so often. :o

Frenchy
November 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
You might also want to put a Kong or any other big toy , in the middle of her kibble , or to feed the kibble in a larger bowl. That is if she "vacuums" her food. This being a cocker spaniel , I would think she eats too fast ? :laughing: if that's the case , that would slow her down.

When they eat too fast , some pieces of kibble are still intact in the poop and that is why some dogs thinks it's yummy , because there's still food in there :yuck:

CaptainOlimar
November 16th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Our lab cross did this and he outgrew. Pretty gross while it lasted. We had to pick up right after him.

One thing that was recommended was to put a bit of Accent on his food (in the spice isle at the grocery store, I think it's msg) but we didn't do it because I wasn't sure if it was harmful or not. Something to research or talk to your vet about. Maybe someone here knows if it's harmful?

momtotwo
December 1st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Hi!
My friend had this problem with her terrier. Vet told her about a product at the pet store, you can put in with their food and makes the poop unappetizing. Sorry couldn't get ahold of her and don't remember what its called. Try giving you pet store a call and asking.

Hope this helps.
(Mine don't eat, they roll, not sure which is worse!!LOL)

bendyfoot
December 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM
There's one called "Deter" and one called "Forbid" that I can think of.

catlover2
December 7th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I never could understand why some owners let their dogs lick them on the mouth...yeccchhhh! Coprophagia, eh? learned a new word today. Never have had a cat do that. :cat: