Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello from Vancouver

luvsmallfurries
November 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Apparently I should post some pics before everyone starts demanding them!:laughing:

This is Sparks - she's about 11 years old now. She's kinda on the heavy side, I know, and I'm actively looking for diet tips. Most of the pics I have of her show her inside or under something - she's a bit like an iceburg - you only get to see about 10% of her at any one time! Her favourite thing is just hanging out. You never met a more agreeable cat. She's not really big on being held but would happily live out her life laying on your chest and getting her head scritched! She also totally loves belly rubs and lays on her back with her little paws tucked in as an invitation - 'come rub my belly - PLEASE!' She has the loudest purr I've ever encountered - sounds like a small motorcycle and it's squeeky - like she needs oil!

luvsmallfurries
November 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM
This is Yeti. He's an 8 year old Himalayan. I got him from a breeder. The whole litter he was a part of had the Siamese look instead of the Persian look so she couldn't sell them as showers. They all found really good homes. He's an absolute doll - chatty as all get out - and still thinks he's a puppy. His favourite game is fetch and his second favourite game is 'ambush'. When he came home with me my tux Corkie adopted him and they were snuggle buddies right to the end (we lost Corkie this year). Yeti is the ultimate cool dude! Unless he's curled up into an unidentifiable ball of fur, he can usually be found 'lounging'.

luvsmallfurries
November 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM
This is Corkie. We lost her this year from complications from kidney disease and lung cancer. She was adopted from a the local humane society when they brought a litter into the vet clinic for an open house. Basically she marched over to me and said 'take me home'..... She was the runt but had attitude to make up for that. Her favourite things were eating and sharing body heat! She perfected the art of the 'pathetic look' and practised it often.

luvsmallfurries
November 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
This is Pepin. She's a Silver Martin/Dutch cross about 5 years old. I adopted her from a local rabbit rescue org. I had another Dutch bunny who passed on. I had gone to donate my cage and bunny supplies to the rescue org and came home with Pepin instead. (significant other keeps saying to me 'NO more animals but, god bless him, he lets me bring em home anyways!). Pepin is totally in charge now that Corkie has passed. Her favourite thing is chasing us around the room and snorting! Or laying at your feet and happily grunting while you endlessly scritch her ears and cheeks. Whoever said bunnies are quiet pets never met my bun! Pep and the cats have an understanding - they basically stay out of her way! Corkie would take every (safe) opportunity for a staring contest however.

Dog Dancer
November 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
What a great looking bunch of furbabies you have! They all look so happy and well loved. Cute bunny too!

luvsmallfurries
November 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
This is Jollup. He's a 6 year old Senegal Parrot that the significant other brought home. This was before the "NO more pets edict!" Senegals are pretty entertaining. He's got a bit of a vocabulary - hello, hi, watcha doing? but my favourite is "here kitty, kitty". He's better at imitating sounds he hears. He meows, does several different telephone rings, can do the sound of the front door squeaking so well I've often thought someone was coming in! And he whistles - 'yankee doodle' and 'shave and a haircut' are the two we hear a lot. You'd think cats and birds would be a dicey combination but the cats learned pretty quick that that little beak puts out a LOT of pound per square inch so they won't go near him anymore! And, yep, he's a HUGE camera ham.

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
What a great family!!! :lovestruck:

We had a parakeet that kept a springer and a setter properly cowed! I can well imagine that Jollup could lay down the law. :D

Pepin, though? :laughing: I never would have suspected that she ruled the roost over kitties! Good girl, Pepin!

Your kitties are absolutely gorgeous! :flirt: I'm so sorry about your loss of Corkie, though. She sounds like a real character!

:candle: Corkie

luvsmallfurries
November 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
And, last but definitely not least is Shafan. She was a Dutch. We lost her about 3 years ago. She was a rescue I brought in off the lawn from in front of my house. I totally intended to bring her into the rabbit rescue org here in town. But, the evening I brought her in from outside she wandered out of the cat carrier we had housed her in for the night and she jumped up into my lap. The next day we bought rabbit supplies instead of surrendering her! The vet figures she was about 2 years when I found her and she was part of our home for another 8 before she passed. She was a total lap bun. Didn't much like being petted but would sit on you or next to you forever! I knew nothing about keeping buns as pets when she showed up in our lives and BIG kudos to the vet I found who patiently took every phone call and answered every "stupid question" I had for about a year before I was totally comfortable! She looks a bit dishevelled in the last photo. This was just a couple of months before we lost her. She'd had an eye infection that just wouldn't clear up so the fur around it is a bit greasy from the antibiotic cream.

sugarcatmom
November 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Oy, such cuteness! Love Corkie's "pathetic look". She really did nail that one. And Sparks! Holy bundle of pudgy love. Lots of belly to snuzzle. Thanks for sharing.

ps - If you want to check out some good info on feeding cats and weight loss, I recommend this site: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm