Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

heart Broken

jonesy_50
November 14th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I have always loved dogs ..had one most of my life but mostly big dogs, I guess I always fell in for that manly dog cliche... wel anyway during the summer my cousins dog gave birth to some beautiful puppies..part jack russel,chihuahua and palmaranian... needless to say very small puppies.. My cousin saw that I really liked one of the little females and she gave her to me for some help I had given her that summer...I never knew it could happen but in a short amount of time I fell in love with that little pup (chloe) I would get home from the most miserable days at work and she would instantly put me in a better mood .. every night she would jump up on my bed and lay at my feet and fall asleep ...in the mornings she would walk on my back or stumach and lick my ears and face to wake me... one day recently while I was out shopping I got a call from home that chloe was in pain somthing was wrong with her paw...I got home and checked her paw it didnt feel right so I to her to a vet...after getting xrays done the vet told me that it did not look very good she would need surgery... the staff there told me it could be about 3200 dollars to fix her.. I was in shock but even more when they told me I couldnt make payments on it..they said It was either pay that or the dog would be put to sleep.. then they told me one of the staff there would pay for it but I had to sign her over to her....well I'm sure you know what I did .....to find out later that the whole payment thing was a lie...the amounts were exagerated and there could have been arrangements made... even now I'm still in shock..aswell as angry and hurt..I always thought that vets were supposed to be kind humane people?????????

clm
November 14th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I would have looked around for another vet.

Cindy

flipgirl4
November 15th, 2008, 01:02 AM
some vets are after the $$; not that they aren't good vets but need to make sales...silly I know. My friend's schnauzer ate a CD and my friend was scared that the pieces might perforate her insides. So she takes him to the vet. He gets X-rays which are expensive enough. The vet tells her that the piece is small enough that it should pass okay but there is this white mass on his left side of his body. He told her vehemently that surgery was necessary. Or her other alternative was an ultrasound. My friend chose the ultrasound to confirm this mass was irregular. The ultrasound cost $600. Then they come back to my friend and tell her that there's nothing wrong, the x-ray technician made a mistake taking the x-ray causing the white 'mass'. So the vet scares her and then gets her to pay $600 for an ultrasound (surgery would be a lot more) - $900 later, the dog is fine. I know that's not as high as your costs but it was their mistake they shouldn't have charged her for the ultrasound. Anyway, I hope Chloe is okay...maybe look for another vet.

kathryn
November 15th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Aww that's a shame. If possible, take the vet to court.

I feel so bad for people getting ripped off by vets. But, my old vet hospital used to do that to me. It was originally founded by some very good vets, but somehow they got bought out by a large corporation. Things started getting crappy and the original vets left and set up shop at a new place (where I currently go). I didn't immediatly follow them because it was a bit further out of the way. Well, we went there maybe 2 more times and that was that. The first time was to get my very old cat a checkup and the office charged us a ton of money and it just was awful. The only other time we went there is after all my other pets had passed away, we randomly found a kitten one day. We rushed her over there because it's right across the street. They charged almost 200$ and ended up making me put her to sleep! To be honest I still feel horrible to this day because I really don't think she should have been put down. This was before I knew any better though and me and my mom were kind of put on the spot. They took her in the back and never brought her back to me :sad: and just came out and said she had to get put down.

The vet I go to now is very awesome. I know all the people there and they don't mind me bugging them all the time. They do secretly call me the crazy cat lady, but that's okay.

DoubleRR
November 15th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Expecting all vets to be kind and humane is like expecting all doctors to give a ***t about people. Vets are just people, some good, some bad, some in it for love of animals, some in it for money. That is why it is so important to find a vet you like before you need one. Ask a lot of pet owners about their vets until you feel you know which one to try, then go with no pet and "interview" the vet as to prices and methods of doing things--they are all different. If you do not like the way the vet treats you--you will not want them to treat a pet of yours.

I am so sorry you lost this pet that way, hard lesson to learn.

Gail P
November 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
You see so many things on TV where it's in the animal's best interest to be signed over or removed from their current situation but if you were providing proper care and it wasn't against their policy to accept payments then this should never have happened.

If you have any way of substantiating that the cost was exaggerated and that payments could have been arranged I would go after the clinic, vet or staff involved and be seeking to get my dog back. If you were in some way misled or pressured into giving up your dog when there was another alternative that seems like some kind of malpractice somewhere. You loved/wanted your dog, you would have made payments if accepted by the clinic so what happened on their end? Why was this allowed to happen? I'd want to know and what they're going to do about it. So what if you already signed over your dog, you were made to believe that you had no other choice when it sounds like you really did. I wouldn't let it go if it was me I'd be demanding to know why I was misled and my dog back, and arrange to make those payments.

joeysmama
November 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I would be hounding every lawyer in the northern hemisphere until I found one willing to go to bat for me. I would threaten to make sure that everyone knew what kind of business practices they use. That's where a letter from an attorney comes in handy. If you send it yourself it can be viewed as extortion. If it's on legal letterhead you have a much better chance of getting some satisfaction.

When did this happen? I would talk to the vet who owns the practice first. Then if they don't return your dog tell them you will take legal action. At the very least they will see that you plan to be a pain in the a$$ and they might not want to be bothered with you.

Chloe is your baby and you should do everything you can legally do to get her back. If someone tried to get Cooper from me they would be shocked at what that would unleash !!!! :evil:

Frenchy
November 15th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I would make a complain if I was you. In Quebec we have "L'ordre des vétérinaires" , you must have a vet association in Ontario too.

jonesy_50
November 15th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Thank you all for responding to this thread...you dont know what it means to me to just to have you all reply this quickly... There isnt a day that goes by that I dont think of Chloe...I am defenitly taking this to court....they should have informed me of all my options, I dont understant why they didnt..I have made a promise to myself and to Chloe that even if nothing comes of this in court I will be heard... people will know what happend if for no other reason than to not let it happen to someone else.

Chris21711
November 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm sorry I must be missing something here, where is Chloe now? With you or with the person who works at the Vet :confused:

Rottielover
November 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM
From the sounds of it, Chloe was put to sleep because of the options given :(

Gail P
November 15th, 2008, 08:19 PM
From the sounds of it, Chloe was put to sleep because of the options given :(

That was not my understanding. I think there was a staff member at the vet's willing to foot the bill if ownership was signed over.

Tundra_Queen
November 15th, 2008, 10:15 PM
That is terrible and heartbreaking too! I'm glad u are taking it to court! I would also "maybe" get a hold of a newspaper too (might want to ask a lawyer about that) and the Better Business Bureau.

Debbie

jonesy_50
November 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
thank you for asking...from what I understand chloe is doing very well... the girl who has adopted her has sent pictures of her.. it makes me sooooo mad that we were being told how bad it would be , that she would have to be imobilized and for up to 8 weeks... that it would be so costly for us and so on...but the pictures we recieved only a few days later showed chloe playing with other dogs and doing fine.. after a long day of work and not being able to concentrate on anything other than ...how is she?? is she alive? I went to the vet where she was being kept. They wouldnt let me see her ...I was devestated but what was even worse was the fact that on their desk were pamphlets describing their payment plans??? The girl at the desk told me that the surgery was very expensive even with their employee discount... as my wife and I did more digging we found out that the surgery would have cost between 1500 and 2400 and that we could have made payments as long as we had half upfront.. so it went fromm 3200 down to a possible 2400 and half of that was very doable .... there is so much I want to say I'm just so mad having a hard time expressing myself right now..all I can say is that the girl who works there didnt even come out to meet us...she spent more time getting the papers in order than she did telling us what our options were....every person I have talked to about this thinks we were scammed..... Doctors have to take the Hippocratic oath I guess I just assumed that care givers in general were the same thing.. my mistake...but knowing everything I know now I am fighting tooth and nail to make it right..

jonesy_50
November 16th, 2008, 12:31 AM
thank u so much for saying that... that is exactly what I am going to do no matter what happens I wont quit untill till I have chloe back ...

jonesy_50
November 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
thanks for that...I am going to complain.. and I have already started...its just that going through all the proper chanels takes so long!! its frustrating.. can you emagine if that was a child??? its so cut and dry but people dont look at pets as being true members of your family..get this when I complained to the vet he gave me an analogy about giving up the ownership to a car...????by the same token does a mechanic pull out the spark plug wires and tell you your motor is fried??

jillann
November 16th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to you.
When (how long ago did this happen?)

That is aweful that they told you an amount & then later you found out it was exaggerated .......... I do not understand, would they not let you take your animal home to have the ability to make arrangements, or, leave her at the clinic & give you some time to get things in order?

If it wasn't a surgery that needed to be done immediately I think they could have allowed you a bit of time to make proper arrangements. The fact that you took her into the Vet shows that you care about your animal, otherwise you wouldn't have bothered right?

If that happened to me I would DEFINATELY be talking to a lawyer & taking this to court, or, speak with your local Humane Society (someone in a higher role) and set-up a personal meeting & explain the situation.

TALK TO THE MEDIA - this is completely a feature story, human interest they would pick-up. The Vet is definately NOT GOING TO WANT THE BAD PUBLICITY - TAKE IT TO THE MEDIA & PUBLIC! AND, MAKE YOUR CASE KNOWN.

I would be devasted if anything like that happened to my dog.
Best of luck to you - keep us all informed please.