Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Somebody hold me back!!

14+kitties
November 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Have you ever had one of those days???????

I went shopping this afternoon. Yes, at the store I work at. I was checking out; got to the kitty litter; and the girl says "Oh yeah, you're the one with all the cats. I have a favour to ask you."
Well, you know it's not gonna be good when it starts that way. :frustrated:
Seems a friend of hers, 67 years old, decided to take a couple of cute orange kittens last year. Well, the old allergy thing has cropped up. I guess in her defence she took them from someone else to save them going to the HS but still.... So the girl at work asked if I could take them. Com'mon people! Where is the concept of..... I feed 30 cats a day. I can't afford to feed more, why would you think I needed two more????
And then the guilt sets in. What happens to these poor kitties if I don't take them? So, I am looking at pics and will have to go from there. I just don't know where these guys will go. My house if full. The porch is in use, the catuary is a closed colony, my garage is in use for the winter with the ferals coming and going. :shrug: I don't know how to break it to hubby.

To make matters worse..... this gal then goes on to tell me that she used to have 22 cats/kittens. She said her one kept having litters but she managed to find homes for them all. I said great. Did you get her fixed. Wait.... here it comes .... her answer...... I find that cruel. :frustrated: Oh no, you just didn't say that!!! So, I asked her how she thought the over 500,000 cats that are euthed every year felt like. Did they think it was a vacation? Hey, come to the shelter and die. Yeah, fun. Her reply.... Well, when you put it like that...... Well duh!! It's the only way to put it!!! :yell::yell: She then said thanks for opening my eyes. But...... how long before she closes them again?? She still has a cat at home.

So................ anyone want a couple of very adorable 1+ old floofy orange kitties?? :rolleyes:

Chris21711
November 14th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Aww Gerri, I have no advice for you, just a big :grouphug:

It is neverending :sad: I would not think of saying to you to take them, or refuse them. I know that this is going to be playing on your mind and drive you nuts. The only thing I can think of is if you can steer her to the resources that are available. Maybe you could post them on here. Sorry to be of no help :yell::yell::yell:

Winston
November 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Aww 14+ I feel for you! BUT I have to be the voice of reason here!! Please dont take any offence but you cant handle any more! To feed 30 a day is unbelievable and I cant imagine what the vets bills could look like down the road?? Listen you mean well and you are the biggest Kitty Angel I know but you need to direct her to other resources...and please no guilt! no guilt at all! be proud of educating this person......and be proud for the many many you have helped.

Could you check out a no kill facilty near by and ask her to surrender them? Yes it will cost to surrender them but you could explain to her that if she takes them to a high kill shelter what the outcome could be....and what a better option it would be?

Maybe you could tell her to post a sign at work and see if someone is looking??

My heart goes out to you!

chico2
November 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
OMG 14+ you cannot save them all,if these cats are fluffy,beautiful orange cats,I am certain they would be adopted quickly,in the right place of course,but then again there are thousands of beautiful cats out there waiting for a home:sad:
I know how you feel right now:sad:but please do not feel bad for having to say no,enough is enough..:grouphug:

Love4himies
November 14th, 2008, 05:27 PM
OMG did you leave that woman alive??????? If you did you have more self control than I do. :frustrated:

14+kitties
November 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I told the gal before I left that IF I took them they would be going to get adopted out. There would be no way I could keep them. She figures it's "my job" to adopt them seeing as I have a rescue. :rolleyes: I have already spoken to a woman tonight who may know someone. :fingerscr I would also be telling the lady that she supplies the food for them. Just because her allergies are acting up doesn't mean she should get off scot free.
Yes, I know I can't save them all. That is why I am doing the best I can to find homes before they come here. I have also messaged kr to see if her friend can arrange another crate at Pet Smart. Oh, get this... the lady doesn't want them separated. Well excuse me, you are giving them up. You have no say any more.
Oh, L4H - I have to work with this girl. Can't kill her. :rolleyes:
Thanks ladies for putting up with the rant. Sometimes you just gotta get it out.

krdahmer
November 14th, 2008, 07:45 PM
:frustrated:

I gave Gerri the number for the petsmart lady, and I'm going to work on my in-laws for Kitty McCat tomorrow. And as for no kill here in the niagara region I can't think of even one that is no kill. Some are better than others but it's always a risk around here. Oh and are you workin tomorrow 14? I could bring by that food for Kitty...

Oh and the last pair of floofy orange kitties at petsmart were adopted out together, and they were 4 yrs old! So it is possible! (I visited them while I was in to see papa and I had to keep talking myself out of taking them home!)

Allergies are just an excuse for irresponsibility!!!:frustrated: Most days I'm dying here with coughing up mucus and wheezing and sneezing, but I have a responsibility to my kitties that I love, and really what's another nose spray or a couple of pills for all the love I have here!!! :cat::lovestruck:

clm
November 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I get the same thing all the time. Because I have loads of cats that I feed, people seem to think I wouldn't mind a few more. :frustrated: A friend of mine at work, who has no pets, has a mother who is dying. :sad: Her mom has a couple of young ragdoll cats. Around 4 years old I think. She asked me if I would like them when her mother passes. Um, NO. I can see me trying to find them homes though. :sad: Never dawned on her to maybe take the cats herself. Her mom is in her 80's, and she bought the kittens for her, what did she think, her mom was going to outlive these cats?

Cindy

Jim Hall
November 14th, 2008, 08:04 PM
all i can say is arghhh i dont know how y'alldo it

hazelrunpack
November 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Such a neverending battle. :sad: :grouphug:

Frenchy
November 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Did you get her fixed. Wait.... here it comes .... her answer...... I find that cruel. :frustrated:

omg I would have smacked her :wall: some people really should read about pets before getting one !!!

14+kitties
November 14th, 2008, 10:19 PM
:frustrated:
Oh and the last pair of floofy orange kitties at petsmart were adopted out together, and they were 4 yrs old! So it is possible! (I visited them while I was in to see papa and I had to keep talking myself out of taking them home!)

Good cause that is where these ones will probably go.

Allergies are just an excuse for irresponsibility!!!:frustrated: Most days I'm dying here with coughing up mucus and wheezing and sneezing, but I have a responsibility to my kitties that I love, and really what's another nose spray or a couple of pills for all the love I have here!!! :cat::lovestruck:

Supposedly she really meant to give it a shot. If you ask me she should never have taken them if she wasn't going to commit.

I get the same thing all the time. Because I have loads of cats that I feed, people seem to think I wouldn't mind a few more. :frustrated: A friend of mine at work, who has no pets, has a mother who is dying. :sad: Her mom has a couple of young ragdoll cats. Around 4 years old I think. She asked me if I would like them when her mother passes. Um, NO. I can see me trying to find them homes though. :sad: Never dawned on her to maybe take the cats herself. Her mom is in her 80's, and she bought the kittens for her, what did she think, her mom was going to outlive these cats?

Cindy

And where are these ragdolls supposed to go? Outside? :wall::wall:

Thanks for the support everyone. I needed to get that out.

I broke the news to hubby. He didn't spaz. I think he's finally figured it out. If there are cats around who need help then I am going to do what I can to help them. Once the new house goes over to the catuary then the orange kitties can go into the old house for a few days until I can get them into the store. :fingerscr That is probably the best solution I can come up with. No, I will not be keeping them so shush kr! :D

kathryn
November 15th, 2008, 05:32 AM
My aunt is allergic to cats and my cousin is terribly asthmatic. They have a long haired torti, a tuxedo mix and just adopted 2 kittens from me, a long haired tabby guy and a cute little tuxedo.

My aunt gets a shot weekly to keep her from falling over into a coughing fit from the kitties. My cousin takes different kinds of steroid type inhalers. andddd they get over it! It was their choice to take in the kitties. They deal with it and love the kitties.

chico2
November 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM
The allergy thing is getting old:evil:not that there are not extreme cases,but if you love your animals you'd do everything possible to keep them.
Unfortunately it's an excuse,nobody will argue and more often than not,they just want to get rid of the animals,just did not love them enough:sad:

Dracko
November 15th, 2008, 10:21 AM
The allergy thing is getting old:evil:not that there are not extreme cases,but if you love your animals you'd do everything possible to keep them.

Couldn't agree more :mad:

14+kitties
November 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I guess we could look at it this way; IF the lady truly is 67 and the kitties are only 1 then chances are that she will not be around in 20 years or unable to look after the kitties. Better they are taken now while they have a chance to be adopted than when they are 15 or so and no one wants a cat at that age. :shrug: It's the only way I can look at it without my blood boiling.

oohhmmmmmmmmmmm..................

ancientgirl
November 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
14+, that sucks. I hate when people know you have a lot of cats and assume it's okay to just offer you a couple more.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. One of my friends used to always tell me about the kittens she shes in her apartment complex. At one point I told her to stop telling me about them! You want to save them all, but it's not possible.

I wish we didn't have to save them all.:sad:

14+kitties
November 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Her daughter in law is taking them. :thumbs up They will be totally indoor kitties. If there are issues then we will talk. :fingerscr there won't be.

I am off today but went down to talk to the gal I spoke to yesterday. I got her before she started work and had some time to talk to her. Gave her a few more facts of life. Like the "free to good home" ads and what happens to a large majority of those kitties.:sad: Like getting cats fixed before they have kittens/can make babies to cut down on chances of diseases. She believed that old fallacy about females needing to have a litter before they were fixed. :frustrated: She thanked me for telling her what I did as she truly didn't know. I asked her to pass the info along so that others will know too. Hopefully she will. :fingerscr

Chris21711
November 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
That's excellent news 14k. So nice of you to offer these little guys a home though. You and John are both :angel::angel:

hazelrunpack
November 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
What a great outcome, 14+! :goodvibes: for these kitties! I hope it works out great with the DIL!

chico2
November 15th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Phew,what a relief:thumbs up
As for being older(me,65 in January:yell:)I will not get any more animals,first because hubby won't let me,secondly because the cats I now have might outlive me.

14+kitties
November 15th, 2008, 04:37 PM
You can not know how happy I was when she said the DIL was taking them and that they would be strictly indoor kitties. This will be the third home in a little more than a year. :sad: Let's hope it's the last. I have told her if there is any reason they can't be kept to tell me. Then we will deal with it.

Phew,what a relief:thumbs up
As for being older(me,65 in January:yell:)I will not get any more animals,first because hubby won't let me,secondly because the cats I now have might outlive me.

I am not against older people taking pets. I am an older people. :D I would just like them to make arrangements for those pets in case anything happened to them. Gawd forbid. You are being very sensible. I think you will outlive these guys but you never know. And Chico - you look good no matter what age you are!! :grouphug:

Love4himies
November 15th, 2008, 04:41 PM
:thumbs up That is good news :highfive:. I hope the DIL provides them with a wonderful furever home.

chico2
November 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Awww 14+aren't you sweet:grouphug:
If by magic,I could start over,I would live just like you,saving those needing saving,no matter what the animal is,a big farm,lot's of acres,of course hubby would have to work until he's 90 to pay for it:laughing: