Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vet doesn't know what's wrong

ginky
November 13th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Hello, Yes, I'm new to this so bear with me. I have a question that someone may know womething about. We have a 4 year old Lab, Goldie, who used to be fearless. Now, all of a sudden, she gets so scared her teeth chatter when we try to take her outside. The vet is giving her medicine which helps alittle..all she does is lay around tho and we take her out to do her business and she yelps when that is done and runs to the door. Someone said she may have a brain tumor. Is there a place we can get a Free or cheap brain MRI?? We live in Kentucky. Thanks!

AmericanBullMom
November 13th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Welcome to the forum!
to answer your question, I dont know why someone would tell you brain tumor, as I have never heard of this happening with that, but I would say something has happened to her while she was outside that has scared her.
A loud noise, being stung, getting hurt, someone yelling or hurting her....
How is she inside the house? Anxious, Upset, panting, nervous?
She might be in Pain. A vet visit is definitley in order.

BenMax
November 13th, 2008, 09:51 AM
If you already saw a vet - what did they say as they did give you meds. Also, I would be grabbing a stool and urine sample if this behaviour is happening after her business is done.

If you are not seeing any improvement, I would be back at the vets with her or getting a second opinion with all the files on work up previously done by your vet.

No one should say the word 'tumour' unless it is a vet...and it has been CONFIRMED.

I wish you luck and please keep us posted.

ginky
November 14th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks for replying. It all started when she started limping and licking her foot constantly then she started walking on three legs so my husband took her to the vet..the most reputable in our little town. He felt her all over and said no snake bite, insect bite, broken leg, etc. but she had a "borderline thyroid problem so her put her on thyroid medicine. Then she started the yelping and shaking so bad her teeth chattered everytime we tried to get her to go outside so we figured it was a bad reaction to the thyroid medicine so the vet took her off that but it only got worse so now she is on depression medicine and lays around but even inside (sometimes) she gets crazy and crams herself under out bed or under our TV or stays at our side constantly. Most of the time when she goes outside she will yelp (front or backyard) like someone has hit her and run to the door. Our vet didn't say she had a brain turmor but another vet in the building said she had heard of something like that. I think our vet just thinks something is messed up in her head from something. It is so awful for a 4 year old beautiful yellow Lab to just be a zombie. She used to chase squirles and rabbits and even go into the woods in our backyard and KILL possums and drag them into the yard. She was totally fearless. Now she is totally SCARED to death.

lucyferlucille
November 18th, 2008, 12:20 AM
If "she started limping and licking her foot constantly" I would examine her foot, again. Can you massage her paw to check for painful spots? A Porcupine quill (broken off) will be very hard to see! Nettles, rose thorns etc. also!

"borderline thyroid problem so he put her on thyroid medicine"-- You need to find her a new vet. Insist on the treatment for the paw first!

Do you Go outside with her? How is her eyesight?

She needs calm and assurance.

Dracko
November 18th, 2008, 01:00 AM
I would say a 2nd opinion is a good idea. Just because the one vet didn't delve deeply doesn't mean another won't.

Also, can I ask why your username is Ginky? One of my cats is named Ginkgo (after the herb) and I call her Ginky all the time as a nickname. :p

ginky
January 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM
It's been over a year now since I posted about my "crazy yellow Lab"
She has now gotten over the being scared of everything episode that lasted for so long. We took her off the Prozac (gradually) and she now chases squirrels and is getting more exercise and (I think) she is slowly losing the weight she gained from just laying around. I guess it was something in the yard that scared her to death......probably the Chyote (sp?) Now I have another question. We had a Black Lab that was 10 yrs. old. She wasn't overweight at all. Seemed in good health and had gone for yearly shots/checkups at the same vet ever since she was a puppy. Then one day we discovered one of the 3 grown dogs we had had urinated on the carpet. This hadn't happened in years. Very well trained pups! We thought it was the Yellow Lab we had been having so much trouble with but it was time for the Black Lab to go get her yearly shots/check up so we took her first. Well, the vet now had bought their own "blood machine" to test blood so he took her urine test and blood test and low and behold...out of the blue...we were told she had severe diabetes and had to be put to sleep and told us all the reasons we should put her to sleep then and there. I wonder why the vet had let it get severe all those years of "checking her yearly" Thanks for any advice you can give me to make me feel better about this as No One will respond on other sites...or even people just stay quiet when I tell them.

ginky
January 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I used ginky for glo in KY

Marcha
January 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Glo, I'm so sorry you lost your dog. (((Hugs)))
What reasons did the vet give, and did they do a second test to confirm the readings of the first?

sugarcatmom
January 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM
...out of the blue...we were told she had severe diabetes and had to be put to sleep and told us all the reasons we should put her to sleep then and there.

Am I understanding this correctly: the vet euthanized your dog based on one lab test, even though she seemed otherwise healthy? Diabetes has a couple of very distinct symptoms, which are usually excessive drinking and peeing, along with weight loss despite having a hearty (or even ravenous) appetite. Did your dog have any of these signs? If not, she DID NOT have "severe diabetes". Even if she did, diabetes is TREATABLE!!!

Can you request a copy of the lab work that they did? I would also seriously consider finding a new vet for your other animals.

If I've misunderstood something, please clarify. I just find it incredulous that a vet would suggest euthanasia for a dog that did not appear sick.

My Lodi Girl
January 13th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when they leave us. :sorry: But I am wondering - is this the same vet who treated your yellow Lab? If it is, I would definitely be finding a different vet. :2cents:

the gang
January 13th, 2010, 08:06 PM
thats terriable:cry:, i have a min pin that is diabect, he is on islin 2xa day and we do blood curves, im a diabect and caught it pretty early, best of luck to you brenda and the pins.

MyBirdIsEvil
January 15th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I know it's sometimes hard to find vets around small towns, but are there any other vets, even if it's a little bit of a drive?

If a vet recommended to me that I euthanize an animal just based on the fact that the blood sugar tested high (which is what it sounds like here) I'd immediately go to someone else. Diabetes is treatable in dogs, not just humans. It can even be treated with pills rather than insulin sometimes.
I'm not sure what he meant by severe diabetes, from a test. Did he mean the blood sugar was high? If it was extremely high in the one test that doesn't mean severe diabetes, as any diabetic's blood sugar can spike pretty high at certain times, especially after food consumption. Severe diabetes, IMO, would be an animal that's been treated for a long time and the blood sugar remains high and cannot be brought under control, or fluctuates wildly, despite treatment, causing severe quality of life issues. Only then would I consider euthanasia because the animal is suffering and an effective treatment cannot seem to be found.