Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Susie in Agility

Agility dogs
November 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Do others have Agility dogs besides myself and Spatx? I have a Bernese Mtn. dog cross and a Shih Tzu x Maltese that I am doing Agility training with. Susie, the Bernese cross, has been doing it since last year and is entered in her second trial this Sunday. It is an AAC trial and she is entered in Standard, Jumpers and Snooker. I have had her in one other trial just in Jumpers and she did well but I goofed up. I entered her in Specials so she only has to jump 16 inches as she is quite a heavy built dog and I want to make sure she does not hurt herself having to jump higher. Remmy, my Shih Tzu cross is only just a year old now so I have been taking it easy with him. My sister has a male, the same cross, so we got together and built our own equipment and have it in her riding ring. We practice for a short time almost every day and go to an arena once a week to work over the proper equipment. We won't be able to use our equipment much longer as we have had several snowfalls already but have started attending classes at a nearby arena every Saturday. I am looking forward to Sunday even though I will have to leave home at 4:30 a.m. in order to get to the trial by 7:30 a.m. to be measured. Susie has to be measured three times so has two more to go. Regardless of how we do I know we will have fun.

MindysMom
November 13th, 2008, 12:56 PM
My Cavalier Mindy (she's 10 1/2 - don't laugh) and I have just started agility. Since our Retriever died in September she's been very lonely so I thought it might be a good way to get her out to socialize and some exercise. Also we are getting a puppy and I'd like to try it with him when he gets old enough. In her prime I think Mindy would have been brilliant. I'm not going to try and compete with her or anything - just let her have a bit of fun (and we'll go gentle). I'm hoping the new pup (who is also a Cav) will be as much of a fireball as Mindy.

babymomma
November 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Me and my 6 montsh old yorkie hirl will be doing agility. I have already started with training, although we wont be doing anything that iss too much for her puppy body. Just yesterday i was telling her the command "Over and she would jump over my leg each time!! :thumbs up I waas sitting on the floor so she wasnt jumping high. Shes a jumpy dog, so i k now that she will love it when we do further training. She also can do the weave poles and the tire jump (again, its only set a few inches off the ground so she doesnt get injured!)

I built my own tire jump (Yes, me a 15 year old girl, buuilt something!:eek: Not only that, i couldnt find a hammer so i used the back of an axe to pound in the nails. My dad said i did a great job, but he didnt want me to use dangerous tools anymore! ) And i also made weave poles outta a badminton net pole thigy. I have six weaves but they are only stuck out of the ground about a foot.. But its good enough for now!! Good luck with your agility fun!

mafiaprincess
November 13th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Cider and I trial AAC, we're mainly in masters. Smudge is ready for jumpers, but he only just turned 18 months. Good luck at your trial, tell us how it goes. :)

TulipRoxy
November 14th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Tulip is in training, we haven't trialed yet, though. She is good, very acuarate, and she follows me perfectly. She has a tendency to shut down, though if we have to go back and repeat an exercise. I have to take her to o do something fun, like a tunnel before I take her back to retry the exercise! I havent started training Roxy yet, but I have a feeling she is gonna be hell on wheels!

Dekka
November 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Kaiden has ran in the regionals, and is in master games and adv standard. Dekka is just too tuned into me lol. She is in adv and masters stuff too. Zo is in starters and due to her issues not sure if she will ever compete enough to make it out. Which is too bad as she is stinkin fast. Bounce is in training and will be entered when she is old enough. Snip has no interest in agility. He is into obedience so thats ok (and racing/coursing/earthdog stuff)