Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Torontos first non-profit spay/neauter clinic

chico2
November 13th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Finally GTA is opening a non-profit,high-volume s/n clinic,it will open it's doors in december 2008.
Open to anyone,which will certainly help keeping the pet-population down:thumbs up It's about time.
www.ontariospca.ca/alert/index.php

Love4himies
November 13th, 2008, 08:18 AM
:thumbs up :highfive: Wasn't there another low cost clinic that opened about a year ago, maybe Mississauga?

chico2
November 13th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I don't know L4H,but if there is another,the more the better,it's really needed IMO,it can only be a good thing:thumbs up

Love4himies
November 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I don't know L4H,but if there is another,the more the better,it's really needed IMO,it can only be a good thing:thumbs up

I agree Chico!

kashtin's kin
November 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the update, chico2; I remember hearing about this last fall, I think. We sooo need this kind of S/N :thumbs up option...everywhere!! Ah well, each journey starts with a single step and all that.

happycats
November 13th, 2008, 09:03 PM
OMG what amazing news!! hopefully this will help with all the senseless euthanasia!!

NoahGrey
November 14th, 2008, 09:56 AM
This is great news. However I have to say that I hope it is a success. Most people don't get their pets spay or nurtered, not because they can't afford it. It's because they don't want too.

I wonder if they will work with Humane Societies. That would be great and help the shelters save even more money.

ACO22

Chris21711
November 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM
This is great news. However I have to say that I hope it is a success. Most people don't get their pets spay or nurtered, not because they can't afford it. It's because they don't want too.

I disagree, I think money factors into it alot.

I wonder if they will work with Humane Societies. That would be great and help the shelters save even more money.

That isn't the objective of the clinic, they too are a charity. Humane Socities that cover animal control for various municipalities get paid quite handsomely, but many of them aim towards making a profit. :sad:
ACO22

According to Spaycentral's website, they now aim to open in February 2009.

NoahGrey
November 14th, 2008, 11:27 AM
"Humane Socities that cover animal control for various municipalities get paid quite handsomely, but many of them aim towards making a profit."

Really? I guess yours does. You are lucky. The shelter that I work, we cover two juristrictions. We cover alot of area. The Municpalities only cover the service that our Humane Society services..which is Animal Control. It does not go into other aspects of the shelter.

You are right about making a profit though. Even though our municipalities put money to our AC depart (while it is not much) they make more money in the end. All of the citations that are written, doesn't go towards the shelter, but to the city. Cites for dog running at large, no license, etc can add up to a pretty penny. Expecially if they are repeat offenders.

And I am sure that in the future, the Low sp/nu clinic will work with HS's and Vet clinics. For working together will give the Low sp/nu clinic more of a voice and recogntion.

ACO22

Chris21711
November 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Really? I guess yours does. You are lucky. The shelter that I work, we cover two juristrictions. We cover alot of area. The Municpalities only cover the service that our Humane Society services..which is Animal Control. It does not go into other aspects of the shelter.

If it doesn' go into other aspects of the shelter operations, which it should, then where does it go?

You are right about making a profit though. Even though our municipalities put money to our AC depart (while it is not much) they make more money in the end. All of the citations that are written, doesn't go towards the shelter, but to the city. Cites for dog running at large, no license, etc can add up to a pretty penny. Especially if they are repeat offenders.

Do you know how much the contracts are worth?

And I am sure that in the future, the Low sp/nu clinic will work with HS's and Vet clinics. For working together will give the Low sp/nu clinic more of a voice and recogntion.

I don't think so. Why would they work with Vet clinics? If anything the Veterinary Establishment are not too fond of cheap s/n, it is taking business away from them.
ACO22

Some of my remarks are my own opinion and others based on what I know as fact.

14+kitties
November 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM
All I can say is it's about time!!! Now what they have to do is get the word out. It's all well and good to have the low cost s/n program but if no one knows about it what good does it do? Educate, educate, educate!!

Maybe this program will take some of the load off TCR. :fingerscr They and the vets they work with have done such a great job of fixing so many cats but they can only do so much.

Joeyjoejoe
November 14th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I was thinking of using this place for my cats, but they didn't open in time... too many delays.

I just don't like the location. It services the GTA, but it is located at the northern tip of the GTA. However, they are planning to get a shuttle bus that will pick up your pet and drop it off after the neutering... so really nobody should have an excuse!

Chris21711
November 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It's not that far really, about 20 mins from Steeles Avenue north on the 404.

I think that the pick-up and drop-off of animals is going to be have to be thought out. I wouldn't think that they are going to be able to run all around the area to accommodate people, there are only so many hours in a day. Maybe that will do different areas on certain days :shrug:

kathryn
November 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM
How much is considered 'low cost' for you guys?

chico2
November 14th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I saw this in the OSPCA magazine Animals Voice and got really excited about it:thumbs up
I firmly believe if s/n did not cost $150-250+ more people would have it done.
Also I think all shelters should s/n all their cats and dogs before adopting,I know Oakville HS does,if everybody worked together maybe one day we would not have over-crowded shelters.
I am sure people who are serious about adopting would not mind paying a bit more to have this done.

Chris21711
November 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
How much is considered 'low cost' for you guys?

I think they are going to charge $50.
I saw this in the OSPCA magazine Animals Voice and got really excited about it:thumbs up
I firmly believe if s/n did not cost $150-250+ more people would have it done.
Also I think all shelters should s/n all their cats and dogs before adopting,I know Oakville HS does,if everybody worked together maybe one day we would not have over-crowded shelters.
I am sure people who are serious about adopting would not mind paying a bit more to have this done.

I think it is part of the mandate of OSPCA's to s/n all animals that are adopted out. Our local branch does. If the animal is considered too young then they give an incentive voucher. For dogs you must have them s/n with 6 months and they refund you $100 of the cost. Cats - I'm not sure.

chico2
November 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Sounds good Chris,but unfortunately people still buy kittens/puppies in pet-shops hopefully at $50 they will get an incentive to s/n.

Chris21711
November 15th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Unfortunately you are right Chico, bottom line is there are just too many and not enough homes. :sad: