Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hunger for electrical wires...

torzechowska
November 13th, 2008, 05:33 AM
My new puppy keeps chewing on the electrical wires, unfortunately it's an old apartment so there's no way to move them. I've tried blocking them, but she scampers over whatever is in the way and manages to ALWAYS get at them!

:eek:

I don't want her to get electricuted!

Any suggestions? :confused:

THANKS!

clm
November 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Unplug anything she can get at when you're not there and put those child saftey plugs in the recepticals. Any recepticals in my home that have chords plugged into them have either a sofa, chair or some other large piece of furniture blocking them off from the cats or the dogs.

Cindy

sugarcatmom
November 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
You could also try cord protectors, or even wrapping them in tin-foil.

Purpledomino
November 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If your new puppy is getting into things he shouldn't be, perhaps you need to either supervise her whenever she is loose in your home, or use a crate or x-pen otherwise. Believe me I know how much damage a puppy can get into, and an unsupervised, curious, and bored puppy is going to go on a rampage any chance they have. For their own safety, and your sanity...they should never be left alone to their own devices.

BenMax
November 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Cord protecters as someone said work great - gosh I know how it is. One cord was $170.00 to replace (don't ask - Videotron!).

rainbow
November 13th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Here are a couple of websites for the cord protectors...

http://www.cabletiesandmore.ca/Chewsafe.php

http://www.crittercord.com/

Karin
November 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I have seen this way too often, with never a good outcome. This is a deathly habit for pets.

Try any means to stop this like all have suggested. Crate!

I am a big fan of vinegar too. Dogs hate it and it is harmless. Spray it on and around any area you do not want a pet to be. It is also the best housebreaking tool I have ever used.

torzechowska
November 14th, 2008, 06:51 AM
I definitely have to try vinegar, otherwise crating. But she gets really shaky whenever I've crated her in the past, the poor thing. She used to cry non-stop and she doesn't anymore, so hopefully she's slowly getting used to it! :pray:

Unfortunately the wires are right by the door, and there is no way to put a piece of furniture there as it would block the door from opening. :frustrated:

But the vinegar and crating option sound good to me! :thumbs up

Thanks to everyone! You are always such a helpful bunch! :goodvibes: