Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Loose dog problem

dogcatharmony
November 11th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I am so angry and upset right now.....I need to vent a bit.

The last two, almost three weeks there has been this large black/grey dog running around loose in my neighbourhood. He has a pink faded collar no tags that I can see.I think he may be fixed, I haven't gotten a clear veiw of his behind because he tucks his tail in so tight. You cannot approach him, he is very very skittish and apparently he is skittish with other dogs too. My girl tried to invite him for a round of play and he just doesn't seem to know what to do. He gets close then tucks his tail and bolts.

Last week he ate a whole bag full of chicken and pork chop bones that he thieved out of my garbage can. I was so worried that he wouldn't be able to pass those bones, I put a post on our local bulletin board about this dog and the area he was spotted in.

So I know I have seen this dog before, I have seen him on our walks at a house in behind me on the next block. He was loose then too, but I know what house I saw him at.

So today I come home from shopping and the dog is chasing birds in the middle of the street, he almost go hit by a car......so I tried to call him over. He came to the curb slowly, showed me his teeth, tucked his tail and ran. Didn't help that my dog was going bananas in the front window either.

That's it, I drove to the house I saw the dog at. It's not his dog, it's his former neighbour's dog who put a for sale sign up and moved away last month!!!! They left the beware of dog sign in the window.....everything else is gone. The neighbour doesnt' care, not his dog, mind you he has two of his own so I don't know how being a dog person he could not have called someone about this poor dog that was left behind.

So I called the HS, they told me to try to get the dog myself and bring him in or drop him off in the after hours drop off box and leave a detailed message on location found:frustrated:ummmm he hasn't shown to be the most friendlest dog to approach, I don't have the tools to catch a stray without putting myself in possible danger. My other option they gave me was to lure him into a garage and keep him contained then they would send someone sometime to pick him up. I don't have a garage....

I called and left messages with two ladies I know that do rescues, so I am waiting to hear back from them. I put another post on our city's BB.....I don't know what else to do:shrug: I do know that I will leave him out a bowl of food tonight if I can't get any help in getting him rounded up. It's garbage night again...he will be out and about looking for food.

How does someone just up and leave a dog?? Totally disgusting!

Diamondsmum
November 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
ohhh my god.. that has me upset..

I am sure someone here in the group can help or have an idea???

That has me almost in tears

babymomma
November 11th, 2008, 02:28 PM
SICK SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!!!!! :wall::yell::frustrated:

I wish you and this dog the best of luck!!!.. Maybe, you could use a leash and put the hook part thru the loophandle. making a slip leash like cesar uses, lure him with food and try to catch him, try luring him into you back yard so he cant run into the street. Then tie him to something with a chin leash so he cannot chew through it. (Do you have a large crate and a basement so you can put him in the base ment in the crate for the night?! JUst bring zoe outside on a walking leash to do her buisness. And on the catch, carry a stick for blocking. and no surprise attacks with the slip leash, show him what you are doing and put some more treats down. If that dont work, use the surprise attck.

dogcatharmony
November 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I was thinking I could leave some food out in the kennel out back. I need to go and play around with the locking mechanism, it doens't close right the bolt and latch don't line up properly....but I am sure the handyman two houses down would help me out when he gets home from work in an hour. If I put the food far enough back I hopefully could get him in there and shut the kennel up. That's the only thing I have to keep a dog in.....no garage, and no basement. I was thinking I could hook a rope to the door so I am not near the dog, and swinging it shut if he went in for the food. If the lock works right it will lock shut as soon as the door closes.

I highly doubt my next door neighbour's would help by letting me borrow their garage (that's the one that doesn't like dogs).

I don't know if a slip leash would work, the closest I have been to this dog is maybe thirty feet. He is crazy skittish. The snow fell off the roof and the poor dog freaked.......so so sad. He is a big fella but kinda thin in the middle, I bet he is super hungry. I couldn't even take a guess on his mix of breeds. I don't think he is a young dog either, he has lots of grey on his muzzle. Maybe his attitude would change with a little food.....give him a little, then a little more:shrug:

He seems to have disappeared for the time being, lots of school buses going by banging and clunking. But I know he was out in my yard last night, lots of pawprints in the snow out front and the side of my house. I know he will be back.

babymomma
November 11th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Th egray may be caused by poor living conditions. It sounds to me that this dog has been neglected long before his owners packed up and moved. Maybe even abused :shrug:

Good luck!

Chris21711
November 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe you could get a livetrap from somewhere, some Humane Society's will let you borrow them. This is so sad that people move and abandon their pets, it is illegal to do so, but unfortunately it happens all the time. Good Luck and thanks for caring. :)

dogcatharmony
November 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I just heard from one of the ladies that helps strays out in my city....she is going to make some calls and see what she can do about rounding up some people. I told her that he is not in sight right now. So she said she will call me after supper and see if he has returned and figure out what we can do.

dogcatharmony
November 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe you could get a livetrap from somewhere, some Humane Society's will let you borrow them. This is so sad that people move and abandon their pets, it is illegal to do so, but unfortunately it happens all the time. Good Luck and thanks for caring. :)

Well if it is illegal then I hope they nail the b@$%ud to the wall. The next door neighbour(to his place) knows who he is and knows it's his dog , the real estate company would know who he is and have his information especially if he wants his money if he sells his house

ARRRGGGHHH that makes me so mad!!

Mat&Murph
November 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
What a sad story:sad: The poor dog.. how could the people just leave him like that!!?? :frustrated: the dog sounds like he is very upset to the point he could really hurt someone. Then he will really be in trouble. I hope you are able to catch him safely. I can't believe the HS will not come out and get him. That is really sad on it's own

hazelrunpack
November 11th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Good luck with the poor boy, dogcatharmony! That's so upsetting... :cry: I can't believe how cruel some people can be to dogs that ask only to belong to the family and go where the family goes. :sad:

I hope the lady who contacted you can help :goodvibes:

TeriM
November 11th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hope you can manage to catch him :fingerscr.

He sound very frightened and submissive, are you sure when he bared his lip that he wasn't actually doing a submissive grin?

chico2
November 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
DCH,that is just awful,poor pup,probably terrified,cold,hungry and confused over what's happened to him:sad:
I am glad you have the rescue to help you out,maybe they could bring back the dog he once was,you can really not judge his demeanor by the way he's living now.
In the right environment he might do well,enough food and a warm place to sleep,poor boy:sad:
The HS depending on which one it is,might just put him down.
I don't blame you for being a bit frightened,I am too with strange dogs,but just today,I and Fates owner,caught a Beagle running on our street.
Luckily he had a phone-number attached to his collar and his owner got him.
This poor guy has nobody,so thank you for caring:sad:

14+kitties
November 11th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Good luck catching this poor soul. I don't have any help for you. What you are planning sounds like the best way to go. If one of the rescues can help that's great! Other than that the kennel would be the next best bet.

:loser: owner leaving him behind. How can they do it? Ask all the ones who leave cats behind. That happens a lot more frequently IMO. As for the real estate knowing his address; they can't legally give it to you. A police officer maybe but not a citizen.

dogcatharmony
November 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
He sound very frightened and submissive, are you sure when he bared his lip that he wasn't actually doing a submissive grin?

See I don't know about the teethies he showed me. My girl was going bonkers in the front window, right infront of him on the curb.....that could have made him bear him teeth just because she was stupid excited. I know when she gets thats super excited it makes me bear my teeth...she goes over the top.

He looks like he could be curious, but something in his mind tells him NO, don't trust. If you stand stalk still he watches with his goofy ears to the side , might even creep a few little bits forward, all it takes is one movement or one sound his tail is tucked, ears back and he is running.

I stood sideways in my driveway not looking at him and he came to the curb again, but he is always ready to run. It seems his feet are already pointing in the direction he is going to take off in while he is checking things out.

I have to take my girl on a bit of a walk, she is nuts. I don't want to miss the lady's phone call but I have to go and take care of my responsiblity. I didn't leave the food out because I won't be around......I know the little bit I am gone won't really matter, we have all night, but it still bothers me. I would like to get him somewhere warm ASAP>

babymomma
November 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Crouch down and turn side on to him, Let him come to you!

dogcatharmony
November 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hurray Hurray Hurray!!!! Buddy, that is his name has been taken home!!!

The lady who contacted me did some sluething in the neighbourhood, Buddy was a rescue dog from about 6 months ago. He was rescued from a mean drunk and hasn't fully gotten over his skittishness. He tends to bolt when there is loud noise and commotion. He escaped awhile back and is now home with his family which includes kids and a whole whack of rescue kitties.

So glad that he is home, warm and loved.

babymomma
November 11th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Hurray Hurray Hurray!!!! Buddy, that is his name has been taken home!!!

The lady who contacted me did some sluething in the neighbourhood, Buddy was a rescue dog from about 6 months ago. He was rescued from a mean drunk and hasn't fully gotten over his skittishness. He tends to bolt when there is loud noise and commotion. He escaped awhile back and is now home with his family which includes kids and a whole whack of rescue kitties.

So glad that he is home, warm and loved.

Oh yay!! Happy ending!!!! :thumbs up SO he just escaped! Thats good, well, better then what we thought had happened!! :D

MommaKat
November 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM
So the people have been looking for their dog yet the neighbor told you that they abandoned him? It seems like neighbors who look out for each other is becoming a "rare breed" . That's my :2cents: :rolleyes: .

Yay for Buddy to be home now with his family, It's good you were looking out for him. I'm glad the lady from the rescue helped you :highfive: .

Tundra_Queen
November 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Oh I'm so glad Buddy is back home!! He sounds like such a scared dog and it is from being abused.

I was wondering why the neighbour said the owners moved away too? Geezeeeeee

CaptainOlimar
November 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
I'm so glad this dog has an owner that loves it.

BenMax
November 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Alas a happy ending...phew!

Thank you for the update...it was rather disturbing.

Mat&Murph
November 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thank Goodness for a happy ending!!! It started off as such a sad story. Way to go DCH for not giving up and the rescue lady!!!! Glad you are home Buddy!!!!:)

dogcatharmony
November 12th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I sent an email to the woman because she didn't tell me the whole story. I am a little confused because she said she went to the abondoned house and found the yard covered in only dog tracks. She said she talked to the neighbours on the other side and they said they rescued him......was the dude that lived in the house the mean drunk???:shrug:

I can't say for sure when the house went up for sale, but the other neighbour said it was the dog from that house. Maybe that is why he was hanging around there.....????? Spending his days on my street and then going home at night:shrug:

I don't know, but I do know he went home last night and is warm, fed and safe. In the end I guess that is all that matters.

14+kitties
November 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Let's hope that Buddy stays home now. You can't blame him for bolting if that was the life he had. I hope his owners have learned their lesson and will take him outside on a leash from now on.

Frenchy
November 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM
ah , that is so nice to start reading a thread that is :sad: but has a happy ending ! :thumbs up thanks for all your efforts :highfive:

growler~GateKeeper
November 12th, 2008, 10:00 PM
WTG DCH! nice to read the happy ending :fingerscr it stays that way

rainbow
November 12th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I just read this entire thread now and am so glad that it had a happy ending. :cloud9: :highfive:

Love4himies
November 13th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Just saw this thread, glad it has a happy ending.

dogcatharmony
November 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I just heard back from the lady.......the dog I described wasn't the dog she found!!!!! She is in a panic.

The dog she got was small like a fox......the dog I saw was big like 60lbs possible LabX mix:eek:

She wants me to go with her to the house to see if that was the dog, I agreed but the one who has been running is a large dog.

So one loose dog that no one knew about made it home....another is still out there:sad:

Frenchy
November 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Oh crap ! :sad:

JennieV
November 13th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Awww...well, you could try enticing him with a little bit of food, leave it so he can see it then slowly back away as far as you can...let him eat...It should be something good-smelling..a hotdog or something... then verrrry slowly come back, even if he runs...he runs - you stop...Do not make eye contact, he will feel threatened if he sees you looking.
So as you come back, put another couple of pieces, then back away, no eye contact still, but less far. Then try to sort of watch if he comes closer, but no eye contact.
Repeat again, with shortening the distance...You may not be successful at once, it may take a couple of nights, but he has to associate YOU with YUM.
Hopefully, he will slowly let his guard down enough for you to come closer.
I would not advise you grabbing him. I would first attempt to just pet him and ever so slowly. It has to be on his time.
If you just go an grab, you are risking a nasty bite. He may feel trapped or threatened. The possible solution would be to slowly approach to pet, then slowly no sudden movements, put on a long rope with a clip at the end, or a long leash. He has to be able to move further from you but not run away.
and remember, patience - patience - patience. If this dog is skittish, crowd won't do any good.
I wish you lots of luck, dress warm and mostly, don't expect too much at once. Baby steps is the key.