Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog is scratching herself silly

LisaR
November 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Hey this is my first time posting on here so if i'm not doing it correctly I appolgize already. Okay so here is my issue. I have a LabX female who is 5yrs old. After several vet appointments the vet said that my dog has allergies and gave her some medicine for that as well as some flax seed oil to go on her dry kibble. But she's still itching and she is losing her fur. I'm not sure what else to do and can't really afford to keep sending her to the vet. Is it normal for her to itch like that if she has allegeries or what should I be doing? ps. I have checked for fleas but haven't seen anything and I'm a lil worried due to the cold weather about her fur as she is an outside dog. Please help

babymomma
November 11th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hwat food are you feeding? What is she allergic to?

May i ask, without being rude and stuff, and without offending you in anyway. Im just curious because ive never understood it. Why do you keep your dog outside?

rainbow
November 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Welcome to pets.ca :thumbs up

A grain free kibble is the best for dogs with allergies or else raw feeding. Scratching and losing fur are both signs of allergies and we would need to know what you are feeding her before offering further advise.

I would not be adding flaxseed oil to your dog's kibble as it is a fairly common allergen itself. Salmon oil would be a much better choice. If the brand you choose does not have some vitamin e added then you will have to supplent that 2 to 3 days a week as well.

Also, how much time does your dog spend outdoors?

LisaR
November 12th, 2008, 01:37 PM
The food she is eating is Health Vitality by Pedigree. We changed her food to that since the other food was meat based the new one is corn based which the vet suggested. I got the wrong name of the oil we are puttin on her food. its actually Omega 3 Fatty Acid oil. She is outdoors all the time due to my mom since she has really bad allergies herself. If u can suggest something else for her to try that would be great.. my dog that is.. my mom has had her allergies for 22yrs now.. thanks lis

babymomma
November 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hmm. Vet have not been trained when it comes to food. And Since your vet told you to switch from a meat based food to a corn based food i would get a new vet. When was the last time you've seen a wolf or dog out in a corn feild chasin' down a peice of corn? Dogs need meat. Thats the bottom line. Corn is one of the top things that dogs are allergic to. I would switch to a grain free dog food. Something like wellness. Dont buy anything that has corn in it as one of the first ingrediants. Dont buy anything that has meat buy products as one of the first ingrediants. Definatly give A quility food a shot. Even though wellness is more expensive. YOu will probably only need to feed half as much as you are feeding now (that is if you are following feeding instructions) to get even more nutrients out of it. :thumbs up

Good luck :thumbs up

With all due respect ma'am, My nan is highly allergic to cats and dogs, but she is living happily with 2 cats and a dog. Thre are ways around it. Maybe you could research a bit about it and see if it would work for you?;)

Good luck with your pooch Oh and, Got any picture of the darling? We loove pictures;)

rainbow
November 12th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I agree with babymomma and your vet definitely has it all wrong. Grains and especially wheat and then corn are the two worst allergens. Your dog should be on a grain free kibble or raw fed.

Pedigree Healthy Vitality Ingredients

GROUND YELLOW CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, WHEAT, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOUR, WHEAT FLOUR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SALT, RICE, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, VITAMINS (dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], CHOLINE CHLORIDE, L-ASCORBYL-2- POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN SUPPLEMENT, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULPHATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, COPPER SULPHATE, COPPER PROTEINATE, MANGANESE PROTEINATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

Now check out this website and see how many of those ingredients are on this list :eek: .....

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

You should also check out all the links on the left hand side of the page for more excellent information on dog food.

Some grain-free brands to choose from are:

1. Orijen (my preference) www.championpetfoods.com
2. Horizon Legacy www.horizonpetfood.com
3. Innova EVO www.naturapet.com
4. Go Natural Grain Free www.petcurean.com
5. Nature's Variety Instinct www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_dog
6. Wellness CORE www.omhpet.com

You will only find the above brands at your local independent pet store. Compare the ingredients on any of the above brands with the ingredients of Pedigree Healthy Vitality or any other brands that are available at the supermarket. What do you think looks like the healthier option for your dog?

I also agree that your dog should not be kept outdoors 24/7. She should be indoors as a member of the family where she belongs. As babymomma said, there are options for people with allergies.

LisaR
November 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Thank u for ur advice.. i will get on that as soon as possible and let ya know how it pans out!!! I greatly appreciate it!

rainbow
November 14th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Good luck with Emma.....please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

loveyadogs
December 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Lisa R
how did it go with the change in food?:dog: