Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doxy smells

Rainbow Dancer
November 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I have a 6 year old 1/2 mini and 1/2 standard daschund. She is overweight even though she is only fed her regular dog food. She has been spayed. Lately I have noticed a rancid smell to her. She gets baths once a week and her bedding is washed once a week but nothing seems to help. By the next day after a bath, she smells again. It doesn't seem to be coming from her ears or teeth. I can pet her and my hand will smell. Can't really describe the smell other than to say it smells like a dirty dog. This is causing my whole house to smell, especially my bedroom where she sleeps at night and in my home office where I work all day and she stays with me. Any ideas?

JennieV
November 11th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Hi!
What kind of food are you feeding her? I noticed that my cat used to have a "funny" smell, he also used to have these itchy patches all over his body, that he used to scratch till bleeding. I went throught the whole vet routine, blood work etc... It showed nothing...Then I found this forum and got educated about the food and what the contents are. That helped tremendously, my cat is much happier, skinnier and has a lustrous, soft fur. So I really would recommend that you look at the food. You mentioned that she is overweight, how much food does she consume?

You are probably best speaking to a vet, see if it is something health-related, maybe?
Good luck!

Rainbow Dancer
November 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I feed my daschund Kibbles N Bits dry dog food. That's what she has been on since I got her as a puppy. I don't think it's what she's eating that is causing the smell as she has been on the same food all these years and I only started noticing the smell a few months ago. I've tried doggie deodorant and it doesn't help. She really doesn't like me to use it. She will growl at me if she even sees it in my hand. :)

Diamondsmum
November 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
ohh rainbow dancer,

I will be honest & possibly this might help..

Duke (RIP) had same issue before he begun to lose his fur from an allergy.

he was 4 when he developed food allergy (after some months of trying ourselves we had him allgery tested)

he was allergic highly to chicken & rice + 160 odd things

His food was a major change for us & finding the right one really helped.

his smell was horrible & took lot of steam cleaning to get out of carpets/furnature to.

I do recommend a diet change something better for her.

allergies can develop with age.

Winston
November 11th, 2008, 01:26 PM
RainbowDancer welcome! just wanted to say have you had your dogs anal glands checked. I would guess this is what you could be smelling. If they do not properly express when the dog has a bowel movement then they can build up in the glands. Some dogs need them expressed. Its not a very pleasant experience as you could imagine and the first thing to look at would be a food change.

A vet visit will confirm this and they can even show you how to express them but I hear its pretty gross!

GOod Luck

rainbow
November 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I agree that a diet change is needed. :thumbs up

Also K & B is one of the worst foods out there. Any brand that you can purchase at the supermarket or places like walmart are not worth buying. Please read the Food Forum here for some good suggestions.

Also check out the following websites:

1. www.dogfoodproject.com and click on all the links on the left hand side of the page.

2. www.dogaware.com and click on "dog feeding info" and the highlighted parts also give further information.

Good luck. :goodvibes:

sugarcatmom
November 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I feed my daschund Kibbles N Bits dry dog food. That's what she has been on since I got her as a puppy. I don't think it's what she's eating that is causing the smell as she has been on the same food all these years and I only started noticing the smell a few months ago. I've tried doggie deodorant and it doesn't help. She really doesn't like me to use it. She will growl at me if she even sees it in my hand. :)

Adding to the chorus to change your pup's food. Kibbles n Bits is truly an atrocious diet, full of food coloring, cancer-causing preservatives (BHA), too many grains and hardly any real meat. Here are the ingredients:

Ingredients

corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, ground wheat flour, animal fat (bha used as preservative), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative),...... titanium dioxide, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), dl methionine.

Even if it isn't the source of her stinkiness (but I'm willing to bet it's at least a factor), there are so many waaaaaaay better foods out there. There's no reason to feed something like Kibbles N Bits, which I think should be banned from this planet.

rainbow
November 11th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Ingredients

corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, ground wheat flour, animal fat (bha used as preservative), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative),...... titanium dioxide, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), dl methionine.

IMO, the beef and bone meal is also bad as it is the garbage left over after all the good stuff is butchered for humans and the animal fat is also bad as it is not a specified fat and could even be from 4D animals. :eek:

Also, salt is an unnecessary ingredient to add as there is enough salt included in the other ingredients. Just like people, dogs do not need additional salt added to their diet.

When it comes right down to it, I think that the water is the only good ingredient in there.

Please read the information on ALL of the Kibbles & Bits ingredients here:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

sugarcatmom
November 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
When it comes right down to it, I think that the water is the only good ingredient in there.

Quite true. And the fact that it's a dry(ish) food means there ain't much of that!

Rainbow Dancer
November 12th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Wow, I didn't realize K&B dog food was so bad. I'll check out the web sites you all have listed for nutritional dog food. I also have an 8 month old Boxer, Dugan and I want to keep him healthy, as well. Thank all of you (Diamondsmum, Winston, Rainbow, Sugarcatmom and Jenniev) for your input. I'll take Angel to the vet and check out the anal gland thing. You guys are super!

Diamondsmum
November 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Rainbow dancer we are very happy to help :)

Also check in our Food forum for pets on what our members are using with success.

We will also bug for Pictures too :D

rainbow
November 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
We are more than glad to help, Rainbow Dancer.

All we ask is that you "pay it forward" and pass on anything that you learn here that is of benefit to our pets to others. :goodvibes:

And, of course.....we want pics too. :thumbs up

JennieV
November 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
You welcome, Rainbow Dancer! :thumbs up

I also learned this info in the 7th year of owning my cat. I always thought that the foods are pretty much all the same, why spend more that $4/bag, right? (that was my "Whiskas" time...) Boy oh boy, did I pay for it with vet bills! Trust me, I prefer to invest in a better quality food now, than pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in vet bills, related to food illnesses.

Someone on this forum once said, that if you can't pronounce the name of the ingredient, or don't know what it is, chances are - its not very good. That has been my motto since. In fact, I started watching what I buy in human food as well, so thanks to the person who said that!

Also, be careful at the vet, I was also appaled to learn that the foods sold at the vets offices have pretty much same ingredients as the crappy foods in stores. :eeew: Thats a whole other issue with me. I do not understand how they can sell that stuff for literally an arm and a leg, and not realize that the same ingredients are in it. I get very upset when the vet keeps pushing me to buy food for $30 a 2 lbs bag! :eek:

rainbow
November 12th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Also, be careful at the vet, I was also appaled to learn that the foods sold at the vets offices have pretty much same ingredients as the crappy foods in stores. :eeew: Thats a whole other issue with me. I do not understand how they can sell that stuff for literally an arm and a leg, and not realize that the same ingredients are in it. I get very upset when the vet keeps pushing me to buy food for $30 a 2 lbs bag! :eek:

That's because the crash course on nutrition that they get at vet school is given by the makers of Medi-Cal, Hill's, etc. :rolleyes:

I have also heard that they get freebies for selling their food. :shrug:

JennieV
November 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
That's because the crash course on nutrition that they get at vet school is given by the makers of Medi-Cal, Hill's, etc. :rolleyes:

I have also heard that they get freebies for selling their food. :shrug:

yes, that makes sense, but that is why I was appaled. To me, if you are a vet, you are in it to help animals, not get freebies! Same with people... But again, I am probably very naive since I always strive to see the good in people. Dog knows, I have been burnt on that plenty of times...:sad: